Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carlisle 3 - 4 Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Positvies are we won the game, Benson looks like to be the goalscorer we've been trying to find for 4 years and we got 3 nil up.

However again we couldn't perform for 90 minutes and conceding a 3 goal lead isn't good enough, if we have aims of promotion protecting 3 goal leads should be easy
  • Options
    Once we learn how to see out a game we should be a lot more comfortable in our seats at the game/at home. I strongly thought we were going to see a repeat of Shrewsbury, we have the players to score goals so no excuses there.. just need the defence and midfield to really gel when we're ahead.. maybe attack is the best form of defence in this league, maybe we do sit back and ask to be attacked.

Wasn't there but 3points is 3points.. hopefully we perform for the full 90 and stoppage against Wednesday.. although I won't be there!
  • Options
    Thank god for that - someone noticed we threw away a 3 goal lead, which would have wiped away the memory of last weekend! Still think parkinson is the man for us and he will continue to learn with the team. Bloody Charlton, we can't just f*cking win or lose can we. At least if we'd lost I could have given up and gone to Homebase on Saturday afternoons, but no - they have to give me just enough hope to keep hanging on...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: youngluke[/cite]I can't believe the lack of comments here .I think its a fair reflection on most of the so called supporters who last week could not wait to vent their anger towards parky and the team.I know we almost threw it away but this is charlton we need to get behind the boys .A few of you haven't even put your money where your months are and renewed your season tickets no true supporter would turn their back on the club.
    It's an away game at the other end of the country, and the highlights haven't been on the telly yet. With the exception of the honourable few who trekked up there (and are probably still on their way home) it's a bit difficult to make any kind of informed comment about the game, as any views are going to be those of the radio commentator filtered through our own personal biases. Come back tomorrow and there'll probably be more discussion.
  • Options
    It wouldn't be Charlton if we didn't do it the hard way!

I saw that we were 3-0 up and said to Mrs Len surely even we can't throw this away. She said it's Charlton don't speak too soon. How right she nearly was!

The encouraging thing though is that with all the flak Parky has had it would have been very easy for the players to lay down and let Parky get the bullet. They didn't though and fought to the bitter end to get the three points. That tells me two things. Firstly this side has character and secondly Parky has the respect of the players whatever some of our fans think.

We need to make The Valley a fortress for the Sheffield Wednesday game. Encouragement of both players and management not destructive booing is the name of the game and we might just go on a run of form.
  • Options
    Just back from Carlisle, definitely one of those games to say that I was there, amazing.

First half was a breeze, just steam rollered them as the score line suggested, but the inevitable backlash hit to 3-3. Honorable mention to Benson as he had a really good game today, involved in everything. And then when the 4th hit, wow, cloud nine.

300 or so fans were superb, a credit to the club.
  • Options
    Good for you mate. You are a credit to the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Just back from Carlisle, definitely one of those games to say that I was there, amazing.

First half was a breeze, just steam rollered them as the score line suggested, but the inevitable backlash hit to 3-3. Honorable mention to Benson as he had a really good game today, involved in everything. And then when the 4th hit, wow, cloud nine.

300 or so fans were superb, a credit to the club.

Yup, echo WMtticket. Well done!
    Parky said in his interview how much they appreciated the support up there.
    And you all ame across loud and clear on one of the commentaries
  • Options
    Just like Orient and just like MK Dons in the JPT, keep following this lot and they will come up with a couple of crackers amongst the dross.
  • Options
    Just seen the goals, elliot looked lost for all of them

Was so glad when we went three up and really couldnt see how carlise could get back into it, but as ever following Charlton is never easy, as soon as the first went then 2nd went in I could only see it going one way and certainly didnt see us holding on or winning it, but up popped benson and I went mental in my front room.

I had to turn off the forum as soon as their third went in, was litteraly writing in rage at some of the idiots posting on here begging for us to lose, mugs the lot of you, YOU'RE THE REAL EMBARISMENT TO THE CLUB, the site kept crashin though and my posts wouldnt process.

LEAVE YOUR USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS AT THE DOOR AND DONT COME BACK - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

anyways well chuft with the win, was pretty shocked how we managed to throw away a 3 goal lead but to come back with an injury time winner that took guts, and there really isnt a better feeling
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]Just seen the goals, elliot looked lost for all of them

Was so glad when we went three up and really couldnt see how carlise could get back into it, but as ever following Charlton is never easy, as soon as the first went then 2nd went in I could only see it going one way and certainly didnt see us holding on or winning it, but up popped benson and I went mental in my front room.

I had to turn off the forum as soon as their third went in, was litteraly writing in rage at some of the idiots posting on here begging for us to lose, mugs the lot of you, YOU'RE THE REAL EMBARISMENT TO THE CLUB, the site kept crashin though and my posts wouldnt process.

LEAVE YOUR USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS AT THE DOOR AND DONT COME BACK - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

anyways well chuft with the win, was pretty shocked how we managed to throw away a 3 goal lead but to come back with an injury time winner that took guts, and there really isnt a better feeling

100%. Can't believe idiots were posting on here hoping we'd lose.
  • Options
    i dont like parky never have never will but there was some sillyness about wanting us to lose..

i couldnt understand it listening to the players shitting themselves and imploding i was getting angrier angrier but all i wanted was the game to either finish there at 3-3 or us to nick one more.

the players were at fault imo i cant pin that at parkinsons door especially as 2 goals came within 5 mins of each other, he couldnt change it at 3-1 it would have been seen as a panic move, at 3 -2 i think he tried to make a change but keep carlise worried about us

we won we score 4 goals i am very happy today
  • Options
    Firstly, a great reward for the travelling fans, as it finally turned out :-)
    So what to make of this team?
    It was a fine result up there, they clearly played for Parky, and they clearly showed some character.
    And yet it nearly unravelled for us, and therein lies the difficulty, you can never predict how this team is going to play from one half to the next.
    They can definitely play well enough to challenge in this division we just desperately need to get some consistent performances from the whole team.
    I suspect we are going to have a few more hair tearing games ( and I'm running low on supplies on this head) but the POTENTIAL is there, Parky and the team have just got to realise it on a regular basis.
    3-0 up and worried, it's the Charlton way ;-)
  • Options
    I would like to say a few words about Scott Wagstaff. Especially in the last 15 minutes he was trying very hard to get down the wing and put in crosses, he went mental at Sodje for not getting on the end of a cross and he made the corner from which Benson scored the winner to which Waggy went berserk with pleasure. He really is chip off the Charlton block and never gave up.

Thanks Waggy you really made it a day to remember for those of us that were there.

One further mention for all the Addicted who made it to Carlisle - awesome - Ok for me as it was just up the road!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]I would like to say a few words about Scott Wagstaff. Especially in the last 15 minutes he was trying very hard to get down the wing and put in crosses, he went mental at Sodje for not getting on the end of a cross and he made the corner from which Benson scored the winner to which Waggy went berserk with pleasure. He really is chip off the Charlton block and never gave up.

Thanks Waggy you really made it a day to remember for those of us that were there.

One further mention for all the Addicted who made it to Carlisle - awesome - Ok for me as it was just up the road!

Very good to hear that about Waggy, LL. First name on the team sheet in my book for his goals and his assists. Unbelievable that two weeks ago there was a mini-campaign to drop him and put Martin in his position.

Thanks for your reports and comments from the game. You were lucky to be there.

There were a few last week who said they had been planning to go but cancelled their plans after the Brighton debacle (and had I ever been intending to make the trip, I confess I would have felt the same). How they must be kicking themselves this morning for missing such a classic Charlton performance (in every sense)!
  • Options
    I predicted 2-0 (at least) to Carlisle, I just knew we would concede more than 2 goals again... the midfield/defence too often ball watch: key offenders: Racon/Docherty/possibly Elliot (might be a little harsh).

HOWEVER, I did not expect us to score 4 (or is that 6)! Wow! Fantastic performance from the forwards. Credit to PP for obviously firing up the forwards to create so many chances away from home.

We have conceded 7 goals though in 2 games though and while this result is a huge bonus I still remain unconvinced at the moment.
  • Options
    I predicted 7 goals but I thought they'd all be ours.
  • Options
    Just watched us score 4 very good goals on iplayer, very impressive. However Francis and Doherty should have done better for the first two and what was Elliott thinking for their third? All in all a good result, but we need to work harder in training on our defence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]I had to turn off the forum as soon as their third went in, was litteraly writing in rage at some of the idiots posting on here begging for us to lose, mugs the lot of you, YOU'RE THE REAL EMBARISMENT TO THE CLUB, the site kept crashin though and my posts wouldnt process.

Could not agree more ... which is why I not even bother coming on here yesterday. Wanting us to lose so they could prove a point? Bloody ridiculous.

Well done to those who went ... you deserved that result.
  • Options
    My main thought now is that until yesterday it seemed we have been impotent in front of goal.
    Before yesterday, Carlisle had let in two goals at home all season.

So for that reason alone, yesterday looks like not just a win, but also a step forward in putting together a team that can challenge. 3blokes' assessment feels right to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PragueAddick - I would mention one word of caution that Carlisle went into the game without one of their best midfielders who was on loan from man utd and they subbed 2 players in the first half due to injury - however I would say that our 4 or 5 or 6 goals were all well crafted and taken goals, perhaps we are regressing in time to those days of 6-4, 5-1 results that us older supporters remember with affection.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]PragueAddick - I would mention one word of caution that Carlisle went into the game without one of their best midfielders who was on loan from man utd and they subbed 2 players in the first half due to injury - however I would say that our 4 or 5 or 6 goals were all well crafted and taken goals, perhaps we are regressing in time to those days of 6-4, 5-1 results that us older supporters remember with affection.

I wouldn't mind that, as long as we're the team that scores the wiinner!
  • Options
    Didn't go, finding away games a lot harder to come by this season unlike previous years but hopefully things will pick up next month.

Followed the game on soccer saturday, fairly impassive even to 0-3 but then dared to dream of a comprehensive victory and a very "un-Charltonlike" away result!! Was absolutely outraged that it got back to 3-3 and then when they said there was a 7th goal at brunton park I thought yep where have I heard that before! But fair play to the lads for pulling it off.

Saw the goals on sky+, two great finishes from Benson and some top quality deliveries. Probably the less said about the central defenders, I have to say I noticed my old mate Gaz totally leaving a striker inside the six yard box and Elliott the better. Great performance to get to 0-3, by all accounts could have had a lot more, a very dodgy half an hour and then one of those moments that defines why we all love the game and perhaps more particularly why we all love Charlton.

Credit to the team, particularly to Benson and Anyinsah who sound like they did the bizzo up top, credit to Parky who can't be blamed for that shambles in the second half... we scored on 47'' so his team talk couldn't have been that bad!! The players got themselves into jail and got themselves out. This season it seems as if stringing points, and most importantly victories together is going to be more crucial than ever what with everyone's inconsistencies. We need a win on saturday now to put this in context. It can't just be an entertaining cameo in an otherwise futile season. It must be a massive shot in the arm.

Finally, a fantastic pat on the back for all 313 that travelled. True supporters.

COYR
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]Just seen the goals, elliot looked lost for all of them

100%. Can't believe idiots were posting on here hoping we'd lose.

Agreed. And at 2-0 up there were some saying it was a dilemma whether they wanted to win or lose and see Parky sacked. There is no dilemma for a true fan.
  • Options
    I certainly have a number of question marks hanging over Parky but one thing can't be denied and that's he definitely has a team that plays for the full 90 minutes. How many very late goals have we now scored ? If he can just get the players playing WELL for the full 90 minutes then we might be onto something. Well done to those players for giving it a real go and to the fantastic 313 fans for making that long trip. COYR
  • Options
    I missed the first 20 mins due our coach getting gridlocked on the M6 and Jackson scored while I was going through the turnstiles. Still, I may have seen the goal but for very heavy handed stewarding, I must've had my ticket checked by four of them before I was let in.

I seriously thought another Shrewsbury was in the offing but thank god for Benson in the last minute, I jumped up and down until I couldn't breathe. It certainly made the very long journey home a whole lot easier.

Miguel Llera was in the crowd, looking very miserable and also looking like he had the effects of a cold. Lots of fans took the opportunity to grab a photo with him.
  • Options
    I've now seen the goals on BBC i-player. That header by Benson to win it was bloody powerful and from outside he 6 yd box i think. I so please for him and Parky, my only concern, as has been mentioned on here already, is that we have conceeded 7 goals in last 2 games! As I said yesterday whilst posting on the live action, its something Parky and the coaches need to work on starting on Monday. Its ok that our strikers have found their goalscoring boots, but we cant exect them to score 4 or 5 each week just to win by the odd goal!
    Anyone got any news on when Solly will be available again?
    To all 313 that went, fair play to you all, hope the journey back was ok and that seeing a game like that made it all worthwhile, well done to every single one of you for the noise you made that I heard comng trough CAFC player.
  • Options
    Benson will prove himself a very useful acquisition im sure of it now after yesterday. He was a class above yesterday and was much more involved. For somebody so slight and not particularly tall he was winning every 50:50 header as well. His lackof pace doesn't bother me that much because he just seems to a be a natural striker who is in the right place at the right time anyway, he has that instinct.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]but one thing can't be denied and that's he definitely has a team that plays for the full 90 minutes.

I think it can be denied, i'd say we usually play for 45minutes and the added time either half. Granted today was better barr the 20 minutes lapse, but to score in the last minute is what most teams wouldn't have done.. was almost a repeat of Shrewsbury and we'd be calling for Parkies head right now with that.
  • Options
    The main cause of the second half defensive problems was a change of approach from Carlisle who hit long balls in behind Docherty and Dailly and turned them at every opportunity. Neither had the pace to cope with Grella in particular and dropped off deeper and deeper. As a result the team was stretched out, the midfield had a bigger area to cover and lost control of the game.
    In the first half, Carlisle were hitting the big centre forward, which Doc & Dailly coped with comfortably.

Also, it was surprising how quickly they lost their composure under pressure. Elliotts poor performance behind them also contributed and didn't help.

This weeks training should be focussed on defending as a unit and covering. Sheff Wed will try the same tactic using Tudgay & Morrison. So we'd better improve. I'd go for Fortune instead of Doc, who is making too many errors. Fortune is more composed.