Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please give Blood...

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:

Also booked Holborn 31s and introducing 3 of my 4 boys. Can't wait to see their faces..

Unfortunately turned up and was told they were running 75 mins late. We said we could wait that long and had to leave it. Bloody shame..
  • Options
    GiveBloodNHS ‏@GiveBloodNHS
    We need more than 1000 new donors to register each day, here is where we'll be this week ! http://bit.ly/Y8RUk6 #signupgiveblood
  • Options
    Robert said:

Donating blood is such a great thing to do, if people hadn't donated blood, I wouldn't be here today...so please donate!

Made my day :)

ps. Not well enough to donate at the moment...sorry.

• Options
    NHS Blood Donation
    Due to the snow, a small number of blood donor sessions have been cancelled. Those planning to give blood this weekend are advised to call 0300 123 23 23 or go online to blood.co.uk to confirm their session is going ahead.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    We need Oneg donors to help with falling blood stocks. Please call 0300 123 23 23 and make an appointment now #giveblood
  • Options
    We need another 340 people to reach 250k on our Facebook page, can we get there today ?! http://on.fb.me/mtL2no
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    https://twitter.com/GiveBloodNHS

NHS Choices ‏@NHSChoices
    National Blood Week - be a hero and pledge to give blood. Don't wait until you need it to realise how important it is http://bit.ly/13x0IpX
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    How many pints of blood do people generally give a year?

Fair play to those that do , I'm a complete wuss when it comes to stuff like this.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Normal 3 (every 4 months or so) MIA, but think you can give 6 max.

Sorry: Edit:

4 (every 3 months or so).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They take just under a pint (around 500mls) and you can give every 3 months. I am on an interval study and give every 10 weeks (next appointment is on 26th June).
  • Options

Normal 3 (every 4 months or so) MIA, but think you can give 6 max.

Sorry: Edit:

4 (every 3 months or so).

Am I right in thinking that's only if you are a man, and a woman can give blood 3 times every 4 months?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I've given over thirty pints of blood in my time, however the current system is madness. I get a form telling me what day they are going to be near me (in the City of London) they then tell me to book an appointment online, which takes ten minutes or so. They then come back later in the day and say there are no appointments for the time requested please try again. With the best will in the world in the old days I would just turn up, wait twenty minutes and give a pint of blood. Now I have to redo my request online again and then more often than not be told that time is not available. If the time I request is not available then tell me a time when it is and I will turn up. Do they want the stuff or what? I want to give it but they seem to be making it hard work to do so.

• Options
    What blood disorders prevent you from giving blood? I have factor v and factor ll Leiden gene mutation which is are clotting risk disorders. Can I still give blood? Also can you give with diabetes? Thanks.
  • Options
    Years ago, when I was at University in Sheffield I offered to go on this list for bone marrow transplants. The department that needed to test me to put me on the list said that I had to get to London for a blood test - at m own expense. I was a student. Needless to say I never had the test and I'm not on the donor list.

In America they pay people for blood, over hear they make it difficult for us to, litally, give it away.
  • Options
    In America, by paying you get a different type of donor... Based more on need of money rather than altruism. Really don't know if that effects quality of blood or number of donors though.

Easy to go on the blood marrow register now if you give blood, they just take an extra sample.

I agree the whole process needs to be made as simple as possible to maximise donor numbers
  • Options

What blood disorders prevent you from giving blood? I have factor v and factor ll Leiden gene mutation which is are clotting risk disorders. Can I still give blood? Also can you give with diabetes? Thanks.

I have factor v Leiden also. First time I have heard somebody else mention this disorder since I was diagnosed nearly 20 years ago.
  • Options

I have factor v Leiden also. First time I have heard somebody else mention this disorder since I was diagnosed nearly 20 years ago.
    My dad has both factors it is an inherited thing, funny enough I have never met anyone else with either factor until a few weeks ago I was talking to a lady at the kids school and she mentioned she had it, strange now someone else has it too, we could almost form a club lol.

Have you ever given blood? Are we allowed?
  • Options
    I inherited it from my Mum but my Dad has a different strain also.

Never gave blood as just assumed I couldn't due to the disorder. I also inherited hypo cholestemia (high cholesterol) from my Mum so basically my blood is f*cked! :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worth phoning them up Sadie... It could even be they might need your blood on call (my neighbour had a very rare blood group... It's useless for the general population but if someone with the same rare group needs it, they phone her)
  • Options
    I carry Factor V Leiden gene, can I be a blood donor? .?

As long as you aren't on blood thinners you can donate blood without a problem. And I think only stronger blood thinners apply to this rule. So if you are on daily aspirin therapy I think you still can.
    Source(s):
    http://www.fvleiden.org/ask/01.html
  • Options
    Thanks Mog
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Just got an e-mail saying all stocks are low: Please give if you can.

http://www.blood.co.uk/
  • Options
    Bump. Read on the Blood donation page on FB that they need an extra 6,500 donors this month or so. Doesn't take long and saves lives, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.
  • Options
    Really old bump (what do I win?).

Gave blood for the first time yesterday with some colleagues. I was rather nervous as medical situations and needles tend to make me panic. Funnily enough I didn't faint, but my colleague who was calming me down beforehand did. Poor guy, haha.

Turns out I have shite veins, and it hurt like all hell. Won't stop me doing it again, just need to make sure I've got nothing on for a few days after!

Any extra tips for the swelling, other than ice and raising it?
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Gave blood for the first time yesterday with some colleagues. I was rather nervous as medical situations and needles tend to make me panic. Funnily enough I didn't faint, but my colleague who was calming me down beforehand did. Poor guy, haha.

Turns out I have shite veins, and it hurt like all hell. Won't stop me doing it again, just need to make sure I've got nothing on for a few days after!

All I can think of to suggest is to try not to ogle the prettiest nurse/donor there...
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Good for you! I used to give platelets but I was anemic for years and no longer could, but those days should be over so you've reminded me to find a local blood bank.

As for the swelling, I never had any problems, but hopefully they put a little cotton swab on it and then put a bandage over it very loosely. Usually they tell you to keep it on for like 30 minutes but you could ask if they could put it on tighter and more securely. Putting pressure on it might help with the swelling. Also, you can ask them for tips on how to deal with the swelling. My guess is ice and maybe some aspirin is you best bet.
  • Options
    To my eternal shame I hadn't given blood for a few years (started off for medical reasons, then loss of the habit). I've now booked myself in... Won't be until February... But I'm now back in the saddle. Got a bronze card for 10 donations, and looking to do many, many more