Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Fry (edit: loan extended till 19th March)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Alternatively, West Spam maybe being cautious and making sure that they are covered.

I now think this is the reason for their caution . If Wham had a major injury crisis now then they could not recall Matt on the 19th and he would stay there . I believe they still have the 24 hour call back option . Also Bessone's signing means Fry will not be an automatic choice anymore so wham may want to see how many games he is playing .

Personally I think Fry provides excellant cover for us in this two game a week phase of the season and this weekend against a quick player in Mackail-Smith could be the ideal opportunity to play him in the middle.
  • Options
    You would have thought either us and West Ham would know better than to keep extending Fry's loan in such a piecemeal fashion. People as young as Fry in any occupation need to have a little more certainty about their immediate future so that they can concentrate on the task in hand.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's a loan, Matt Fry know's that.

Yes he is only 20 but that's old enough to recognise that regular competitive football is more important than reserve leagues and benches.
  • Options
    West Ham are hedging their bets. They obviously don't think he's gonna make it at premiership level, but they would probably play him in the Championship next season if they are relegated and are forced to sell Upson & the other defenders on big contracts. If West Ham stay up, I reckon we'd get him on a free or for a nominal fee.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]interesting that the loan is only until March 19th - just over a month.

I don't think we will see him back after that - think this was the longest W Ham wanted to loan him out for.

A few days back at Wham after March 19th......and hey Presto! we sign him again as a brand new emergency loan before 24th March. Available then to cover potential play off games?
    This makes sense - if wham need him they can have him back, if we want to keep him it'd enable us to do so under the short term loan system
  • Options
    According to the Mail Matthew Upson is out for the season , it now makes complete sense why Wham are only offering short term loan extentions .
  • Options
    This appeared on Sky today :

Charlton manager Chris Powell is poised for talks with West Ham about extending Matt Fry's loan deal.

The full-back's stay at The Valley is set to end after Saturday's trip to Dagenham.

"Matt's loan finishes soon and we have to assess that going forward as to whether we extend it or not," Powell told South London Today.

"I haven't spoken to West Ham but I'm sure I will speak to them later this week."
  • Options
    What with our current centre back shortage, I'd expect him to stay, and I would play him alongside Llera if Dailly is out.