Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Family

Comments

• Options
    I'm with you Allez

PS They should pay their own way, but only after we have taken most of their land which should be owned by the state not the Crown..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I agree. Sat on that sofa every bloody night, smoking and drinking. Lazy scouse gits.

*dons pedant hat*

surely you mean lazy manc gits

*removes pedant hat*
    Your avatar is quite appropriate. Doh!
  • Options
    I think it's important to consider the possible options, Abu Hamza anyone ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I'm with you Allez

PS They should pay their own way, but only after we have taken most of their land which should be owned by the state not the Crown..
    And then the state can sell them off to raise funds for a war none of us want to go to. Great idea!

Being ownded by the state is much more risky than being owned by the Crown.

Many royal do pay their way accept for visits which the governement has asked them to make - ie state visits. Which the PM would have to find time to do if the royals didn not.

In a world of over-paid, useless, famous for nothing celebrities I do wonder why people still bother to have a go at the royals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Many European capitals have royal families. I don't believe it's the clincher for tourists.

That said, I don't believe a single penny would be saved by abolishing the monarchy.

Why not - we'd have to replace them with a President - how expensive are they? Surely cheaper than the royals and at least then every UK citizen would in theory have a chance of reaching that high office - haven't seen any elections for the next King.

I haven't seen any elections to the European Commission which both costs UK taxpayers far more and adversely affects their lives if democratic accountability is your gripe why don't the Grauniad mafia moan about that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]

And then the state can sell them off to raise funds for a war none of us want to go to. Great idea!

Many royal do pay their way accept for visits which the governement has asked them to make - ie state visits. Which the PM would have to find time to do if the royals didn not.

In a world of over-paid, useless, famous for nothing celebrities I do wonder why people still bother to have a go at the royals.

fine give it to the national trust or something then

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]

... which are in line to be scrapped by the government....

See why I am loathe to give them more power!
  • Options
    Can I just say I hate Prince Andrew with a passion, a rude arrogant ignorant snob, and a misanthrop of the highest order, trust me I have tangled with him a few times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]

... which are in line to be scrapped by the government....

See why I am loathe to give them more power!

to be replaced with what? who will run national parks etc?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Many European capitals have royal families. I don't believe it's the clincher for tourists.

That said, I don't believe a single penny would be saved by abolishing the monarchy.

Why not - we'd have to replace them with a President - how expensive are they? Surely cheaper than the royals and at least then every UK citizen would in theory have a chance of reaching that high office - haven't seen any elections for the next King.

I haven't seen any elections to the European Commission which both costs UK taxpayers far more and adversely affects their lives if democratic accountability is your gripe why don't the Grauniad mafia moan about that?

Well they do have elections. I have an elected Member of the European Parliament and I even know his name - Claude Morales
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So the question remains, does anyone care that the second in line to the throne is engaged to be married? I know it's a slow news day but it's everywhere you look, and frankly I couldn't care less!
  • Options
    Couldn't give a monkeys. Would like to know if there is any chance of a day off though?!
  • Options
    They used to do these things on a weekday but in the modern tight age it's going to be a weekend job to prevent us having a day off.
  • Options
    If the Royal Family were disbanded It'd be a lot easier to forge coins and banknotes without any pictures on them.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    most people don't know which way the queen faces on coins without checking first.

you know your first guess was wrong!
  • Options
    Not a royalist, but I think the extra revenue (foreign visitors, souvenir tat - even if most of it will be made in China, stamps etc), will offset the cost. Unlike when Thatcher pops her clogs...
  • Options
    Tocatchaprince won at Fakenham @ 8-1 today.
  • Options
    Tourists come to see the buildings and the history, not the Royals themselves, who have to be one of the most disfunctional and unimpressive families going. At least Kate Middleton and Diana before her will help to reverse some of the inbred looking characteristics.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Tourists come to see the buildings and the history, not the Royals themselves, who have to be one of the most disfunctional and unimpressive families going. At least Kate Middleton and Diana before her will help to reverse some of the inbred looking characteristics.

Agreed, Paris is the most visited city in the world and they got rid of their royalty years ago.

Any kind of monarchy still going in the 21st century is a farcical embarrasment.
  • Options
    Oh well congrats to the pair of them anyway. Hope it works out better for him than his parents marriage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Is it doing you any harm?
    2. Is it making some people happy?
    3. Are there far, far more important things to moan about?

This applies to the wedding, as well as to the monarchy.
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned the only argument for the royal family is that without them we'd now be under the control of President Cameron, so we either have an ex-Etonian as King or an ex-Etonian as president...

Suggests that British public life isn't really all that democratic in reality.
  • Options
    To answer the question - I couldn't care a less about the royal wedding and hate the time already given to it by the media. Do they really think that the British public will forget the current economic difficulties just because these two irrelevant people are getting married?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]As far as I'm concerned the only argument for the royal family is that without them we'd now be under the control of President Cameron[/quote]
    The only argument???
    Not considered their immense charity work, The Princes Trust, military support or the fact they do you no harm whatsoever but help many many people in ways you never could.
  • Options
    military support??
    #'
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]military support??[/quote]

Yes. Who was your Colonel in Chief Nolly?
    Presumably one of the Royals, and presumably extremely good at building morale and a sense of unity in your fighting unit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]As far as I'm concerned the only argument for the royal family is that without them we'd now be under the control of President Cameron
    The only argument???
    Not considered their immense charity work, The Princes Trust, military support or the fact they do you no harm whatsoever but help many many people in ways you never could.

King Arthur: I am your king.
    Woman: Well I didn't vote for you.
    King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
    Woman: Well how'd you become king then?
    King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.
    Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Indeed...
  • Options
    give it up floyd
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]military support??

Yes. Who was your Colonel in Chief Nolly?
    Presumably one of the Royals, and presumably extremely good at building morale and a sense of unity in your fighting unit.

I think you'll find that most people who join the British armed forces do so to protect the nation but mostly because it's a job and not because an in-bred half German and half Greek member of the royal family is their colonel-in-chief.
  • Options
    The buildings/architecture that tourists come to see in the UK are very much based on Royal history. The Tower of London would not exist if it were not for a need to keep the masses in check.

Our country has a huge amount of history, which still continues to the present day. When I visit Versailles and the Colloseum I can only dream of what life was like back then.

I watched a part of the Lord Mayors show the other day and I loved the pomp and ceremony. Kids all waving flags and having a great time.

I'm no Royalist by any stretch. But only a few get money these days. I know for a fact the charity work that if Charlie boy didn't put his name to would get didly squat.

Two people are getting married. Good on em. If we get a day off, brilliant. If those who make money from selling tshirts, mugs etc make a few bob. Fantastic. If it takes some peoples mind of their shitty everday life cos the government are taking their last penny. Fill their boots.

If you don't care. Don't by the papers/magazines & switch you're blooming tv off.

You've just spent a weekend remembering those who died in WW1 & WW2. They cared about the monachy. They died for King & country. Are we now so different? I wish i could ask one of them how they would feel about it all.