Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Open the North Stand for Cup Games (Ed. now open for Luton game)

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I know less than 5000 turned up on Tuesday for the FA Cup Replay. It was a good result but poor performance.
The atmosphere was poor because the North Stand was closed. I know it is probably down to cost but I think the club should rethink and open one part of the north stand for the Luton game.
Surely having fans behind the goal chanting gives us extra home advantage

Who agrees

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2010
    North Lower, West Lower, East, South.
  • Options
    Do people in the Covered End really want East stand chavs next to them?
  • Options
    Open the Covered end for North stand ticket holders, can't be having the East stand riff raff sitting around me, might bring me to writing an essay on here.
  • Options
    If you want to pay a significant premium to pay for the additional stewards and kiosk staff in order for the club to open another stand so you can sit there, I suggest you contact the ticket office & make them an offer - £50 might just cover it.
  • Options
    If your going to open 2 stands, surely the noisy north upper is the one you have to open aswell?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]If your going to open 2 stands, surely the noisy north upper is the one you have to open aswell?

I guess the decision is driven by the fact that the big wigs sit in the West so that has to be opened and the East has corporate boxes which generate more revenue than chavvy Covered End riff raff :-)
  • Options
    Surely it's worth sticking the riff raff together, less complaints meaning less admin work ;)..

Brap.
  • Options
    give Luton the whole North stand and open the West Lower and South for us....I'm sure they could easily sell 5/6k tickets.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]give Luton the whole North stand and open the West Lower and South for us....I'm sure they could easily sell 5/6k tickets.
    I suggested something similar on the ask airman thread, he says there's no way anything other than the current set up can occur due to the entrance routes.
  • Options
    One thing is clear to me, the North stand chiff chaffs make one helluva noise and I missed them greatly. If some atmosphere is a requirement for cup games, then the North stand should be opened but i guess cost is the limiting factor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What will happen is that the atmosphere at the game will be dominated by Luton singing and chanting. There will be no change to the Barnet arrangements because we only had 4,800, and the 3000 Luton fans will be easily accomodated in the Jimmy Seed.
    The situation is stark...Phil Parkinson must be clear to our players that Luton will be well sprightly and up for it because of their big day out/cup final factor, and our players MUST rise to the occasion despite the flimsy vocal support. If the players look for an excuse because of the unfamiliar set up the that is absolutely not on. Phil Parkinson MUST ensure we compete, and get in their faces as much as they get in ours...and then in theory our better players should win. What is not acceptable is lack of effort, or willingness to battle whatever the stadium arrangements.
  • Options
    The north stand is more expensive to open than the east and it's not as simple as opening the upper north on its own, because of the escape routes and internal access to other areas, all of which then have to be stewarded.

While there is obviously a significant number of people who would prefer to sit there, the same could be said of the east and in general I would think those who sit behind the goal are more open to sitting on the side than those who normally sit on the side are willing to sit behind the goal. You wouldn't be able to accommodate everyone who wants to sit on the side in the lower west.

We are well aware that this configuration affects the atmosphere and that's a consideration we have weighed up too.

What we can say is that if we get through we will open the north for any third round game.
  • Options
    i cant believe they are not opening the north stand for this one. Advantage Luton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]What we can say is that if we get through we will open the north for any third round game.

What, even if we're away?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]i cant believe they are not opening the north stand for this one. Advantage Luton
    So now we are saying that the fans and the atmosphere created DOES have an effect on the performance?
  • Options
    to tell you the truth, taking away the performance the other night, I didn't really enjoy the game due to where i was sitting it was shite and I had to mind my p's & q's because I was surrounded with feckin old wrinklies. I will go because otherwise I will end up working but it could deter
    some people from going especially as it will be 4 home game son the spin.
  • Options
    I agree mate, I don't like those types of games at all with little atmosphere.

I would have thought for a Saturday afternoon, tickets for a tenner and a decent away support (with the chance to get into the 3rd round draw) we'd have a "decent" turnout for this one. I'd really expect around 12k.
  • Options
    which is what we will get for some league games this year, hence why close the north ?
  • Options
    what happens if Luton sell-out and want more tickets? Are they not entitled to a certain percentage under the rules? We set a precedent a few years ago by giving Yeovil the end of the East Stand. We won't be able to do that this time as we are already selling tickets there to home fans. I expect more home fans than can be accomodated in the lower west and east as it is a Saturday for starters. Plus at a tenner people are going to be tempted especially if they come this Saturday for a tenner and we put on a show (maybe a bit unlikely ;-)) then they will be back the following week too. In fact Luton is probably more attractive than Yeovil.
  • Options
    agree Luton under cup rules are entitled to more than 3k
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They'll be in the home ends I'm sure should they not get more than 3k.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]what happens if Luton sell-out and want more tickets? Are they not entitled to a certain percentage under the rules? We set a precedent a few years ago by giving Yeovil the end of the East Stand. We won't be able to do that this time as we are already selling tickets there to home fans. I expect more home fans than can be accomodated in the lower west and east as it is a Saturday for starters. Plus at a tenner people are going to be tempted especially if they come this Saturday for a tenner and we put on a show (maybe a bit unlikely ;-)) then they will be back the following week too. In fact Luton is probably more attractive than Yeovil.

Would have thought the club are aware of this and only part of the East Stand (i.e the blocks nearer the North than the South) is being sold at presant. If not we won't be able to sell more to Luton irrespective how quickly they sell their tickets.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]what happens if Luton sell-out and want more tickets? Are they not entitled to a certain percentage under the rules?

Technically yes, but there are cavaats regarding safety, splitting stands and police advice that over ride that.

I presumed the North would be open for the Luton game, purely because it is expected to get a crowd 2-3 times the Barnet one. Mind you, the Barnet crowd was a lot smaller than i was expecting. I think the big difference here is the next round is on a Saturday.

I think the club have to be very careful in their treatment of the Covered End. Historically, and certainly since the return in 1992 it is the stand that is most symbolic and identifyable to our support. It is one of the things that ties it all together. "WE ARE CHARLTON, COVERED END", yet the club has never really embraced the 'Covered End' name since the return, and if they start closing it more frequently, i think it will join the list of one of those small things that when added to others, sees some supporters become growingly detached from the club.

Even opening just the lower North should be seen as given and appease people.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]They'll be in the home ends I'm sure should they not get more than 3k.

to this end the official site says that later sales may be restricted to Red Card holders only. Shame as a few neutrals might have fancied it. Cutting off our nose to spite our face maybe ? Agree with AFKA, open North Lower as a compromise.
  • Options
    What AFK said. It's the FA Cup. Why don't the club spend a few quid and promote the game in the local press next week. Kids for a quid or something.
  • Options
    The police will not allow Luton to have more than the Jimmy Seed Stand, regardless of the rules. This reflects Luton's recent behaviour record.

The match will be promoted in the local press as usual, we are not putting in Red Card restrictions at present and the prices are already sensible, in my opinion. Kids for a quid would be unlikely to increase revenue in this case and would create additional cost in stewarding unaccompanied young teens.
  • Options
    Airman - could you not open the North Lower as AFKA mentioned?
  • Options
    Why would anyone consider the people sitting in the North Stand week in and week out after the recent comments on here about North Stand riff raff!Cant believe we all support the same club with the comments of late on another thread!
  • Options
    It costs £3.5k minimum to open all the north stand. There is very little saving in opening some bits and not others, because the escape routes take in the closed areas.

We've looked at it again this morning because we'd like to do it, but it doesn't stack up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]It costs £3.5k minimum to open all the north stand. There is very little saving in opening some bits and not others, because the escape routes take in the closed areas.

We've looked at it again this morning because we'd like to do it, but it doesn't stack up.

once the crowd is in brick up the vormitory's ?