Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why is Curbishley still out of work after 2 years?

Comments

• Options
    I doubt taking West Ham to court and winning has anything to do with it - but maybe when the word got out about some of his brother's business contacts...

I doubt he wants to work unless he's offered the right job. He was well paid at Charlton, took another well paid job at WHU, won the court case and he doesn't seem like the sort of guy who as a couple of Ferraris and a mansion to maintain.
  • Options
    Because he is waiting for the Charlton job.

Golfie - deary deary me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]He turned down 2 Premier teams in the Spring this year, and 2 Championship teams in the Summer.

He did go for the Villa job, and was surprised that he did not get it.

How do you know all that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]He was at the Valley tuesday night, in a west stand box.

Perhaps he's being lined up for his greatest challenge, 92nd in the league to the Prem in 5 seasons. (2 seasons in Championship)

I thought I saw him, but wasn't sure. What was he doing there???
  • Options
    Curbs knows his football and unlike many other managers seemingly is not so desperate as to take any old job (Dowie), maybe this is because financially he is more secure than other managers or maybe because the right job just has not come along. It appears he was offered the Hull job, which was the wrong location and judging by their form this season- an exceptionally hard job which even the very best may struggle with.

Fulham and Villa would have been ideal, but it did not work out. I would be very surprised if he is not in work within the next 6-8 months.

Ipswich- Keane can't have long left.
    Norwich- Lambert very sought after and highly rated, imho would suit him well.
    Reading- McDermott under no pressure atm but things change very fast in football.
    Birmingham- have not pulled up any trees, McLeish, although highly rated and may get a better offer, is not the owners appointment and if they are down there in Jan - who knows?
    Fulham/Villa again, football is a funny game. No manager is guaranteed time- stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]He was at the Valley tuesday night, in a west stand box.

Perhaps he's being lined up for his greatest challenge, 92nd in the league to the Prem in 5 seasons. (2 seasons in Championship)

Wow we're in a worse position than I thought we were!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]He turned down 2 Premier teams in the Spring this year, and 2 Championship teams in the Summer.

He did go for the Villa job, and was surprised that he did not get it.

How do you know all that?

Curbs did a Q&A session at a local pub last month for charrideee, and he was very open about stuff - although he did stop short of naming those clubs.
  • Options
    I thought he would get the Villa job, especially as he used to play for them. Houlier is quite a gamble for Villa. I reckon Hull might have made him an offer and Bolton/Portsmouth?
    Fair enough that he has had his years of struggle with us and wants a club with money to spend. I can see him at Ipswich. Would fancy him to do his magic there. Anywhere but palarse.
  • Options
    Curbs can afford to wait and see if a suitable job offer comes along, he has his own agenda.
  • Options
    Shouldn't he rule himself out he's not interested. It would help - I need the closure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Those who point to the court case have got it right. That has frightened off Premier League clubs from taking a chance on him. I also think that the East London whingers have a greater influence in the football world than perhaps they should. It all goes back to 1966 and all that.

Curbs did a decent job at Wet Spam. His problem was that the brand of football wasn't acceptable for many fans.

I think that he became a victim of his own success at Charlton and that he became more and more cautious as a manager.

He then went to Wet Spam the owners threw a massive amount of money they couldn't afford to try and help him buy their way out of relegation. That incautious approach initially worked but then came the credit crunch and it backfired and then he reverted to type again. Ultimately he wasn't popular enough amongst those who see Wet Spam as footballing purists.

Part of me desperately wants him back because his era represented the pinnacle of achievement during my supporting life. On the other hand I just wonder if the years changed him for the worse and that sense of adventure and journey that he and we went on cannot be reproduced.

I suppose if he came back with a plan to get us out of this Division, to re-organise and re focus the clubs football development side and the chance to bring in a younger person to work with him might do it. Certainly from the new owners perspective, I think that having him there would help to calm fears and give a reason for the sceptics to back off and accept them. That may be the most compelling reason to try and get him.
  • Options
    33/1 to be the next permanent man u manager with one of the bookies... oh dear!
  • Options
    I know plenty would love him back, but in a way I'd be disappointed. I'd like to see us find someone completely new to the club. He's not the only manager out there who could do a good job for us and they don't have to be a big name.
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I suppose if he came back with a plan to get us out of this Division, to re-organise and re focus the clubs football development side and the chance to bring in a younger person to work with him might do it. Certainly from the new owners perspective, I think that having him there would help to calm fears and give a reason for the sceptics to back off and accept them. That may be the most compelling reason to try and get him.
    Perhaps that's what they're hoping to do. Curbs works with an assistant that will eventually take over from him (like Murray clearly planned for Parky to do when Pardew left).
  • Options
    Binga Addick - great post. How do you quote properly on here by the way.
  • Options
    Parkinson is a mini-Curbs

Jose Mourinho could take the job and I doubt he would b able to inject the ability of a full back into the full back Simon Francis

Nor could he make Therry Racon hold his attention for 90 minutes week after week

Nor would he be able to put a brain in Alan McCormacks swede

I doubt he could remind Robbie Elliot a keeper is king of the box as long as he calls for the ball

One of the things that hurts about football nowadays is the sort of behavior us fans displayed by making him think he had took us as far as he could

Another is the fact that Pardew and Phil Brown are in employment as managers when Alan Curbishley is not.

Curbs has forgotten more than these two will ever know about football management
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    lord alan is very selective and sees himself as a top 12 manager and those jobs don't come up every day.

i don't think it was him that was as cautious as some would make out, just that he was limited in his budget and he just had to make do with what he got. if he'd been backed,we'd have any 2 of cahill,sidwell or bullard in midfield. murray just fucked up the negotiations (not for the first time) and by 2006 he'd pretty much had enough of being short changed and explained that he wouldn't be renewing his contract to murray and as he knew best,paid lord alan off early (sacked).

imagine his surprise when dowie got 14 odd million to spunk,then more money was found to pay him off as he didn't live up to the bill of pissing off jordan enough, and reed too got paid off and then pardew got even more money to burn before we got relegated to the next level.

but we all know all this anyway and that this really is just an easy way to take cheap swipes at the greatest manager we've had in the last 50 years. where people just try to justify their stance when they kept banging on how getting rid of curbs would be good for both of us and that someone else would get us to the next level. just a shame that the board bought into that fantasy.

i don't think clubs really would look at the court case, just that west ham messed up very badly by dragging it out and playing bit of a smear campaign on him. lord alan eventually won this case (which could have been settled out of court a lot sooner) and then west have decided to counter sue him for breach of contract which lord alan won again. i think west ham are really the bad guys here,in case you didn't notice.

lord alan will have to readjust his settings if he does want to manage again, possibly taking a top chumpionship side. i doubt if he would go lower though.
  • Options
    Oh dear
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to Curbs end up at Aston Villa after all.
  • Options
    As soon as the fella is given a chance somewhere with a bit of money he will prove himself to be the decent manager we know he is.
    However I think his undeserved reputation for being safe and dull will mean he's not going to be a popular appointment with fans at many clubs.
    He's much a case of "you dont know what you've got til it's gone".

100x the man and manager that Pardew will ever be.
  • Options
    Mirror today strongly speculating that Curbs is Ipswich bound. As he lives, I believe, in a little Essex village out that way presumably this could finally be the time he takes a chance on a job - if he leaves it much longer he's going to find it harder and harder to get back on the managerial roundabout.

If he does take it, will be fascinating to see how he gets on. Ipswich clearly a club with potential and a good support. But not sure if there's much money around the place these days (Sound familiar?!). If he gets them going in the right direction again, will be another feather in his cap. But if he doesn't ......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he needs to get back in the game.
    Ipswich is as good as anywhere outside the prem.
  • Options
    By my understanding, unless he has moved, his Essex abode is far far closer to Charlton than it is Ipswich. Still, if he does want another job he's going to have to drop his selection criteria at some point.
  • Options
    Really want him back in the game ....
  • Options
    Maybe he doesn't want / need to manage again? He does a lot of TV work and would have made a fair bit already in his career.
  • Options
    I get the impression he isn't bothered about becoming a manager any more. Seems quite happy doing media work
  • Options
    He will prob just turn it down. He is waiting for Fergie to retire.
  • Options
    I would love Curbs to get back but not with them yet. The more teams that can finish below us the better and I think if he went there he would turn them around. Did here he was lined up with Matt Holland as assistant.
  • Options
    I get the impression he wants a job where he will get money to spend at club with ambitions to get into Europe. I believe this is why he applied for Wolves but then changed his mind when they didn't have those ambitions. Can't see him going go Ipswich but I wouldn't be surprised if he has applied for the Blackburn job.
  • Options

I get the impression he wants a job where he will get money to spend at club with ambitions to get into Europe. I believe this is why he applied for Wolves but then changed his mind when they didn't have those ambitions. Can't see him going go Ipswich but I wouldn't be surprised if he has applied for the Blackburn job.

I would. Curbs would not work for Blackburns owners in a million years and would not re-locate.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

Really want him back in the game ....

Same.
    It's a shame when you see the likes of Curbs out of work.