Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the most scared you have ever been

Comments

• Options
    My thoughts are with you NLA, I really hope she pulls through. Not being a parent I can't even begin to fathom the fear you must of felt.
    The thing that sticks in my mind as being truly scared was when I was about 11 and my little brother was 4. We were at Bewl Water and my Mum and Dad had let me and him through stones into the reservoir whilst they were in the queue for the boat trip. Basically I found a nice stone and showed it to my brother and then threw it in, I turned round to the floor to find another one and when I turned back to the water there was Alex face down in the water as still as anything floating further into the water. My immediate reaction was to go in after him but after running a short way into the water the floor gave way beneath me and I went into panic so what I'd effectively done was cause double the problem luckily my Mum had seen what had happened and had come charging down and saved the pair of us.
    I was only a kid but the thought of losing him terrified me (thankfully he doesn't read this board as he'd call me a soppy so and so now). All I remember when everything had returned to normal was Alex saying to me "I went to get your nice stone back for you".
  • Options
    My 'most-scared' is also about one of my kids. In Spain with friends and their 2 kids, my son daughter and wife with me quite a few years ago.

Standing on beach, my wife, my mate and his wife saw my son get knocked down by a wave and disappear ... he was only a few feet out. They were all paralysed with shock and did not seem to be be able to move or fully comprehend what had happened - I ran into the sea, got him out, and thankfully he turned out to be ok.

Then, when everyone else was ok, I belatedly got the shakes and was terrified about what could have happened if I had not run into the sea and got him out when I did.
  • Options
    NLA - thoughts are with you and your family, having a little girl myself I really count myself so lucky.
  • Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family NLA.
  • Options
    hi my daughter had the very same in 1996[7 i was decorating my mums flat while she was on holiday , i had my daughter with me , it was very windy and raining outside , i had the gas fire on in mums flat i had been there about 4 hours when my daughter started convolcing , i thought it was because of the gas fire , called the ambulance , they rushed her to hospital i did not know what to think .
    however 24 hours later she was fine and has never had a problem since

all the best to your daughter and family ,
  • Options
    Dal all the best mate, hope your little un is all ok. Scary stuff.
  • Options
    Our thoughts are with you, your family and especially the little lady.

Ray
  • Options
    Hope everything is progressing well, and you daughter recovers quickly, she's certainly in capable hands.

When our second son was born, the cord was around his neck, and he came out a bit blue, there was a second or two when the nurses look very concerned, but when he started crying the relief was immense.

Best wishes to you and your family once again
  • Options
    Being called into my Dr's surgery after a blood test following pnuemonia to be told I had A&E were waiting for me to arrive as I had enough potassium in me to stop my heart at any time, very scary, my son was with me and aged 10, trying to make sure he was collected and protected kept me calm, it was surreal, I felt ok other than a back ache, and I was rushed into A&E and then hooked up to every machine in the place and pumped full of drugsd, I was wide awake watching the Dr's and nurses rushing around me like a scene from ER, that is a bout as scared as i have ever been.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Just thought I would throw this one out there. I am currently posting this from a put up bed in chasefarm children's ward. Where my youngest only 10 months old is currently being looked after by some fine young men and women. She seems to have contracted an infection that has resulted in her running temperatures of up to 42 degrees, she had 3 forms of fit that some children can get when they get too hot and she is having a real go at fighting the infection with the aid if intravenous antibiotics and some pain relief to aid keep her temp down.

When she had the first 1 and we had no idea what the hell was happening, I ain't ashamed to say it . I have never been so scared I thought that I was just about to live every parents worst nightmare.

So I thought that seeing as I can't sleep and that there is a real mix of young and old I would ask the question when or what scared you so much that for a moment in time you froze to the spot and didn't know what to do.

We ain't had any more of these fits since weds morning and although poorly still things seem to be going in the right direction , the nhs we have is a wonderful and unique thing and it makes me feel a great sense of well-being that these guys are here for us all they are the true heros amongst us not footballer and tv personalities.[/quote]

Hope she is on the mend mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NLA, hope your little girl recovers soon and all the best to you and your family.

Reading this thread it seems I've led a scare free life. Gave my parents a big scare when I was about 3 months old though. Was an hour or so away from dying so a big thanks to the surgeon who was called in specially to perform the op needed. As said we take the NHS for granted sometimes.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Medders she is currently maintaining a 38 which is the coolest she has been for 3 days. She came out of it on her own.

The longest one lasted about 5 mins

Thanks everyone
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mobile phone duplicate
  • Options
    Members she is currently maintaining a 38 which is the coolest she has been for 3 days. She came out of it on her own.

The longest one lasted about 5 mins

Thanks everyone
  • Options
    I can remember various panics with our two when they were very young but nothing like what you are experiencing at the moment. Mrs M. and I wish you all the best and here's to a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Nth London Addick

' the nhs we have is a wonderful and unique thing and it makes me feel a great sense of well-being that these guys are here for us all they are the true heros amongst us not footballer and tv personalities.'

Absolutely spot on.

My own daughter was born twelve years ago this week. She weighed only 560 grammes. The staff at Birmingham Women's Hospital were nothing short of magnificent.

Living in Africa, as I do, makes me really appreciate the NHS.

Hope your daughter recovers fully.
  • Options
    Good luck to your little girl. Wish her a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Was robbed by a gang of shotgun weilding hoodlums when I worked in a shop in New Cross - aged 22.

Absolutely terrified.
  • Options
    blimey, never experienced a fright like it.

best wishes to you and yours!!!
  • Options
    Glad things are on the mend now NLA.

I've had a couple of surreal 'near death' moments.
    A few years ago I was strolling along the pavement near New Cross station when a car came screaming along the road, lost control and sped towards me.
    By pure chance it hit a lamp post about 3 foot in front of me and stopped dead.
    If it wasn't for that lamp post I'd have been a goner!
    I had my headphones in a music playing quite loudly so the whole experience was to the soundtrack of music rather than outside noises, which made it even more strange.

Also had a hairy one when our plane overshot the runway on Ko Samui.
    It ended up pretty much doing a handbrake turn/stop on the grass at the end.
    We then looked out the windows to see fire trucks etc pulling up alongside us.
    Which actually scared me more!

Weirdly with both of those situations, it wasn't until about an hour afterwards that any kind of shock kicked in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thoughts are with you NLA

I've had my life flash before me a few times when I legitimately believed I was going to die! Had a replica gun pulled on me a few times as well.
  • Options
    Sounds very positive though - she sounds like she has battled her way through it. All the best.
  • Options
    Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]The bad news is that febrile convulsions can happen until theyre about 5 years old. The good news is that they're generally harmless and have no lasting side effects or cause lasting damage.!

I never knew so many people had febrile convulsions too, I had them when I was younger, though as I had my last fit at the age of 11 I'm obviously the exception to the rule! Luckily as everyone else has stated they are not that serious, it's just your body's way of bringing down a high temperature and there are no lasting effects either, except for when applying for driving licenses and gyms when you have to fill out so many extra bits of paperwork, it's untrue!

My mum says it was the scariest experience in her life when I had my first few, so can understand how you feel! Hope your little one gets better NLA
  • Options
    Thoughts are with you mate, stay strong.

Henry Jnr had about 6 febrile convulsions but they stopped when he was about 4 or 5 as they do with most children. By then the thermostat in the brain has sorted itself so it stops. Appears it runs in his mums family as his cousins had them.

Luckily Lady Irving is a nurse so when it first happened she knew what it was. Didn't stop it being very scary first time it happened when I was there, and alone, with him.
  • Options
    Hope everything goes well NLA...

I think the fear is that in this case there's nothing you can do - your daughter is in excellent hands.

My own near death experience was an engine failure just after takeoff, at the time I wondered if that was going to be it, but we got down ok. Another time flying over the alps we hit incredible turbulence to the point where items were being thrown around the plane, people were screaming etc, a very unpleasnt few seconds, although it felt much longer at the time.
  • Options
    Best wishes NLA. Mine is being robbed at knife point back when i was 15 by 5 african's, horrible horrible feeling.
  • Options
    Nothing I've experienced comes even close to NLA's and other's experience.

Hope she gets better soon.
  • Options
    best of luck NLA, stay stong!

my story was just a weird/creepy situation. Me and my friends were on a road trip when we ran out of gas about 2 miles from our exit. So as we r walking, a beat up white truck stops and asks if we needed a ride to a gas station. for some reason, we said yes and jumped into his car. Things began to act really shady when he didnt have rear seats in his van and we had to sit on the floor. My heart started to beat like crazy. then he locked the doors on us. OH SHIT!

We got to the next exit and when he had to pay a small 30cent toll, this friendly humanitarian got out of his car and started scouring the floor and toll booth for loose change! r u serious, i thought to myself... We approached the visible gas station and i started to get more relaxed... until he jerked his van onto a small winding road headed into the darkness away from the visible gas station. "Where the F are u goin man" i stated.... "to a cheaper gas station" he proclaimed.... At this point i am looking at my friends saying lets jump out and roll. All at once, we pry the lock, open the side door all jump out of the van and roll away from the vehicle. This guy just continued to drive...

Right now we are all three stranded, cut up, bruised and scared shitless in the middle of the dark on some random dirt road. The van never stopped and just kept driving. From there we jogged about a half mile to the gas station, watching our backs with fear and filled up. Scariest time of my life. i still have scars on my leg from the roll out of the moving van.
  • Options
    Had a few regarding the kids.

Youngest (15months) caught pnemonia stoped breathing had to be rushed to hospital and revived on the hospital bed emergency room. Spent a week in hospital but has made full recovery thank god. He also had a sweat test for possible CF.

Eldest (3) was told a month ago that he had prbable Muscular Dystrophy and the Mrs and I spent 3 weeks waiting for an appointment at Great ormond street for tests. Thankfully he hasn't got that but test are ongoing.

All happened this year. 2010 has not been a great one!