Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

the most scared you have ever been

Comments

• El cafc

Mate my best wishes to you I couldn't ever wish those circumstances on my worst enemy.

You must have been distraught glad to hear they are on the mend.
  • Best wishes to you and yours NLA. Good news that she is on the mend.

Many years ago, when I was even younger than Riscardo, I was driving up a very steep hill somewhere in Buckinghamshire in a torrential downpour. I accelerated to overtake somebody and the car just aqua-planed. I spun through 360 degrees twice, on the wrong side of a very busy road, before departing the road backwards at the sharp corner at the top of the hill. I ploughed through a wooden fence and the car then started to roll as it plummeted down a 200 foot grassy bank. The car rolled over 8 or 9 times before landing on its roof at the bottom.

The whole thing happened very quickly and I was totally calm throughout. As the car was rolling over and over I remember having incredibly heightened consciousness of every single cell in my body as I just waited to start feeling some pain. But somehow I crawled out of that car without even a scratch. The guy in the car behind me had stopped and was skidding down the grass bank to, in his own words, "count the dead". The police and ambulance crew who arrived soon after, were also just SO shocked that I had walked away unharmed.

And the moral of my story? Probably that if it's only you involved in such an incident you won't normally have time to get scared for yourself. But if it's one of your loved ones then being scared takes on a whole new meaning!! Good luck again NLA.
  • Good luck to your daughter NLA. Glad to hear she’s in good hands and that her temperature is dropping.
  • So pleased to hear your little girl on the mend NLA! My boy had one when he was two.I was in gym he was in the creche and it was warm and he just overheated.The staff came to get me I was in complete panic.Thankfully he was ok after a night in hospital.I blamed myself for ages as after the creche I always took him for a swim,if Id been a few minutes earlier he probably wouldnt have it.Hes a big fit strapping lad now.
    Scariest thing not involving the kids was getting stuck up a waterfall in N Wales and me and my cousin jumping off the top and grabbing a pine tree with a 150 ft drop below.Was about 15 at the time and have been back as an adult and near shit myself looking at what we done!
  • I had too tires blow out on the German autobahn in the worst rain I have ever driven in at 5 in the morning. I was going about 100 miles an hour and the car was swerving all over the road. Managed to control it but there was no hard shoulder due to roadworks so had to drive about 2 miles on the bare rims. That was pretty traumatic.

Doesn't compare to your daughter though NLA- wish her all the best and a speedy recovery
  • Had a couple of hairy moments, but they don't feel like anything compared to what you are going through.

All the best to you and your family - I hope to see good news on here soon.
  • When my daughter was very young I was holding her as we were "riding" in a lift in a department store.
    The lift was full of people, we were right at the front by the doors.
    The lift stopped at the next floor up and as the doors opened, my daughter reached out with her hand and it somehow got stuck in the door.

The door still had about three feet to slide open and in that split second I had visions of all kinds of horrible outcomes.
    My wife reached out really quickly, grabbed her hand and just pulled it, quite hard, releasing it from the opening door.

We got out and I had to sit down to avoid keeling over!!

Good luck NLA and anyone else whose kids are sick...nothing worse.
  • My experience was also with my baby, never felt so scared/helpless.

After my boy was born, i was so happy, carrying him around the ward singing red red robin to him! But when he was only a day old, a doctor did one of their routine checks and said his temperature wasn't right, nor his breathing. By the evening they moved him into SCBU, with wires coming out of him and a little oxygen box on him. We felt so helpless and I thought that one day was the only day I would ever hold him. The nurses were so kind but couldn't answer any of our desperate questions with a smile, as they didn't want to show any opinion either way. All we knew was that his breathing had to slow and he had to starting urinating to show hydration. The first two days I was a zombie, the wife didn't leave his side and didn't sleep for 48 hours. I'm shuddering just at the thought of how empty I was.
    But then on the third day he did a wee just as the nappy was removed! I've never been so happy to be wee'd on! His breathing got slower and by day 6 he was out and back on the ward, and by day 7 was back home with mummy and daddy. The hospital staff were amazing and very patient with us and our bouncing boy is now 2 and each day I am grateful for what I've got, as I can honestly say, being a daddy just gets better and better.

Very best wishes NLA for you and your family.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Medders she is currently maintaining a 38 which is the coolest she has been for 3 days. She came out of it on her own.

The longest one lasted about 5 mins

Thanks everyone

All positives there mate - temp almost there and certainly nowhere near high enough to cause a further convulsion now. 5 mins and no medication required to stop it are also both good. 45 mins and diazepam was our experience both times! Bloody scary but rest assured that these are very common - just another thing the little ones do to take a few years off their parents lives ;-)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: tom- k[/cite]I had too tires blow out on the German autobahn in the worst rain I have ever driven in at 5 in the morning. I was going about 100 miles an hour and the car was swerving all over the road. Managed to control it but there was no hard shoulder due to roadworks so had to drive about 2 miles on the bare rims. That was pretty traumatic.

Doesn't compare to your daughter though NLA- wish her all the best and a speedy recovery[/quote]

100 miles an hour in the worst rain you have seen Why?
  • Sponsored links:

• The change in antibiotics has worked only 1 issue with her temp last night. She has been 36.6 for the last 10 hours. I think its gone thank fudge for that.

I have got my buba back
  • Just got to this thread...we never met each other but I feel like I know you.It's great to hear she's pulling through, can only imagine what you must have been through there. My salute to the NHS people too.

I've been lucky compared with you and others here. My story is more for fun...I had a Toyota moment, 30 years ago in my poxy Fiat 128. Doing 60 ish in the fast lane of the Kingston by-pass, busy Saturday morning, took my foot off the gas, and it just kept going! Instinctively took it out of gear, and coasted across the lanes to the side, just after an intersection, fortunately nobody piling in at speed. Stopped and only then the terror hit me. Turned out a bolt had fallen off and jammed the accelerator cable. I could never believe those Toyota stories last year. I'd just sit there reading them and mentally shouting "You drove for two miles and didnt think to take it out of gear???"
  • That's great news NLA. It's just a shame a lot of the stuff you hear about the NHS is so negative, when most peoples experience is just the opposite.
  • Great news, i know we don't kow each other but plays on your mind when you read this board and other peoples experiances, well done the NHS! Unsung heroes.
  • Some amazing stories on here. Red Pete you are definitely lucky to be alive, let alone not have any scars.

Addick 16 - what country was that? America?

My mate was on that New Zealand airline when a door blew off and people got sucked out. Now that had to be scary.
  • just logged on my thoughts are with you Dal.
  • Wow, you lot have been through some craziness!

All the best to your little'un NLA!
  • She is coming home today and that makes me very very happy cheers folks me I a off to bed for a good sleep safe in the knowledge that when I get up. She wil be crawling around like nowt has happened. Hopefully when I log back on we will have won ten nil
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]She is coming home today and that makes me very very happy cheers folks me I a off to bed for a good sleep safe in the knowledge that when I get up. She wil be crawling around like nowt has happened. Hopefully when I log back on we will have won ten nil
    glad she is ok

I had similar problems with my now five year old, I remember how scared i was the first time it happened it was worse when she woke up and didn't know who I was and just kept shouting 'help me'.

I have had moments that scare me beyond belief with all of mine, my eldest wasn't breathing when she was born and I was petrified then. The youngest was in special care when he was born that wasn't pleasant either. The worse had to be my 3 year old though when she was 8 weeks old she contracted bronchilitus very badly and was in hospital for over a week, the middle of the week, despite being on oxygen she kept turning blue and stopped breathing, the episodes were happening throughout the night and at 11-30 pm the hospital told me to call my husband in as it was touch and go. fortunately she is perfectly okay now.
  • Thankgod for that sadie sounds horrific. Bloody kids put you through it don't they
  • Sponsored links:

• they sure do and it is so much more difficult to handle when they are too young to tell you what hurts etc. And seeing them so ill and not being able to help them is a terrible feeling, but mine and yours all pulled through so we are the lucky ones.
  • edited November 2010
    A bit like Red Pete I've rolled a car but I've done it twice! The first time was just into a ditch (my fault). The second time was into a ravine (about 80 feet)(not my fault). Both times I was unhurt

Last year my baby boy was hospitalised with nothing as serious as NLA's case. It was bad enough for him to stay there for 3 days though.

Although the second car-roll shook me up badly and made me a big seatbelt 'enthusiast', I can honestly say that the third event was the worst.

Best wishes NLA
  • Great news, NLA. Best wishes.
  • 2 that spring to mind for spring to mind for me both happened within a short time of each other. Whilst in the Army based in Northern Ireland. During this particular tour i was covert, driving in unmarked vehicles and plain clothes.

First one, myself and colleague were driving through a small town one sunday morning when all of a sudden the local catholic church emptied out from their morning congregation. As they all poured into the street, the car in front stopped, leaving us just sitting there completely swamped by what seemed a couple of hundred catholics in an area that was not known for being "squaddie friendly". We were both trying to conceal our weapons (which were usually just tucked under the leg for easy access) and trying not to look too conspicous. It seemed like every single set of eyes were staring at us. This was only only about 6 months after two fellow soldiers were spotted and pulled from their vehicle and murdered in the street, so naturally we were kacking it.

The 2nd one, again me & same colleague were driving down a wide road though the country-side in a 2 week old 3litre Toyota supra. as this car was our "new toy" i was testing it out and was pushing just slightly under a ton when we came to a rather large dip in the road. This normally wouldn't have been a problem but due to torrential rain the night before, it had turned into a swimming pool. We aqua planed across, only to exit facing the wrong direction making the car fly up the bank doing a few "A Team" somersaults before landing on it's roof. Fortunately we escaped with only cuts & bruises. We then both proceeded to sit in the field shaking with post-shock and chain smoking until the calvary arrived.
  • NLA,

Great news that you little one is now on the mend.

Hope you can now move on and forget a terrible experience.

Things like that really put life into perspective.
  • Cheers mate can't keep my eyes off her right now
  • [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]2 that spring to mind for spring to mind for me both happened within a short time of each other. Whilst in the Army based in Northern Ireland. During this particular tour i was covert, driving in unmarked vehicles and plain clothes.

First one, myself and colleague were driving through a small town one sunday morning when all of a sudden the local catholic church emptied out from their morning congregation. As they all poured into the street, the car in front stopped, leaving us just sitting there completely swamped by what seemed a couple of hundred catholics in an area that was not known for being "squaddie friendly". We were both trying to conceal our weapons (which were usually just tucked under the leg for easy access) and trying not to look too conspicous. It seemed like every single set of eyes were staring at us. This was only only about 6 months after two fellow soldiers were spotted and pulled from their vehicle and murdered in the street, so naturally we were kacking it.

The 2nd one, again me & same colleague were driving down a wide road though the country-side in a 2 week old 3litre Toyota supra. as this car was our "new toy" i was testing it out and was pushing just slightly under a ton when we came to a rather large dip in the road. This normally wouldn't have been a problem but due to torrential rain the night before, it had turned into a swimming pool. We aqua planed across, only to exit facing the wrong direction making the car fly up the bank doing a few "A Team" somersaults before landing on it's roof. Fortunately we escaped with only cuts & bruises. We then both proceeded to sit in the field shaking with post-shock and chain smoking until the calvary arrived.

Bloody Hell, that first one would have been scary.

If memory serves those two poor squaddies who got dragged out of the car had made the mistake of driving their car into the funeral procession for one of the people killed by Michael Stone, the Loyalist paramilitary, at the funeral of the one of the three IRA who were killed by the SAS in Gibraltar.

The IRA at the funeral apparently thought that the people in the car were Loyalists and going to attack the funeral as Stone had done, that's why they attacked them. I am actually not sure at what stage the attackers realised they had actually captured two UK soldiers.

Apparently the soldiers' CO could not understand why they had been anywhere near the funeral, they were supposed to be on the other side of town but either got lost or decided to take a somewhat ill-advised look at what was going on at the funeral.

Terrible, terrible thing to happen.
  • Having a loaded shotgun ponted at my head by a drunken barman in Newport,Knoxville.Tenessee in 1976.
  • NLA kids are more tough than we think mate, fingers crossed for your little one.

as for the rubbish hidden excuse for the scum who lynched two soldiers pleassssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee. The army helicopter hovering above mighthave given them a clue ? or the military ID or lets forget that they stripped them beat them to a pulp and then excuted them with their own pistols !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes maybe they didnt realise they were soldiers. i mean the last one they captured they tortured for days on end then fed him to the pigs. RIP Robert Nairack--no known grave.

Scared---------I found my best mate dead in his bed at 34. didnt know what to do-stood there for ages it seemed --hadnt a clue. then his young daughter coming in room made me get my act together. Was shaking like a leaf-------some awful phone calls --and OBill turning up(who did a great job).-------------died of a stroke.

Hungary 1 England 3 in 1981--- 70,000 totaly mad Hungarians throwing everything they could get their hands on at us (400) pitch black---didnt know a soul around me------men/women with sticks and lumps of wood whacking people(us)------people going down after being hit with bottles and bricks. My knees started wobbling(last time wos a girl in some woods somewhere ---but that was a good memory!!!)-----i thought ,this is gona hurt alot---------some guys next to me said we stand here geting flattend or we run at em----------------------seems truely mad-----but we did and they backed off for a few mins then before they came back the army and OBill fought a way through to us.

The last is now-----after a 3 month fight with illness my Mum died a few days back---we knew it was coming Macmillan Nurses and all that stuff----------fear ?did we do all we could? what else could we have done? did we try everything ?------------she wont be on the other end of the phone now to ask me --how did Charlton do? or she wont be there to tell me why my cabbages aint growing----the World is a bigger place without her even at my age------- RIP Mum ---Charlton till she died.
  • god bless her Gooner, my thoughts are with you mate