Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 3 - 2 Yeovil - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    may have not been the best of football today, however i went from sitting bored stiff in the north upper with my head drifting off into a very interesting game. thought the ref wasn't the best today and really couldn't wait to book our players but to see us win from a late goal again and to see 5 goals a piece at the Valley isn't something i actually remember watching, 2 sendings off and a penalty to decide the game was quality,
  • Options
    Three points is three points but that performance was all over poor. We can't defend set plays and lose almost all second ball situations. Racon was best player for us and hard working performances from Benno and Martin. Two nice cameos from Akpo and Mac. I eat my words regarding Jackson. He is quality at this level when playing midfield. Not taking too much pleasure from this win because I thought we were fortunate today. Thought Yeovil were very positive and didn't "park the bus" as I and others had suggested. My biggest us point is the team spirit we are showing. Great to see and will be worth much in the final rekoning. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    never a ending off addicked clash of heads mate
  • Options
    We didn't play well but I think tiredness played a part. Not a great day for the defence but at this level there will be up and down performances. The pillorying of Doherty though I don't understand. He wasn't great but still better than many CB's in this league. Benson too, came in for some stick but he ran his socks off. Racon played well, especially first half. Jackson quality again. Subs did well. Overall another 3 points and closing on the top of the table. Come on people, enjoy the win and move on from the performance.
  • Options
    Other than Racon and Jacko we were shite, doc is a liability and francis was terrible - but tbh, i dont give a monkeys, 3 point is 3 points
  • Options
    This is how I would sum up the game, we were poor for large parts and the win was very lucky but it's these sorts of wins that'll decide between promotion or not. The referee has had some very tough critics, yet again. I thought on the whole he had a decent enough game taking out the red cards. Lots of little niggly fouls (and usually pointless free kicks) did go Yeovil's way so fussy in places. The red cards both were debatable. The assistant actually gave the red for Dailly and if it is a clash of heads it should be rescinded and the assistant will take a huge hit on his assessment and then you cannot defend the indefensible. He would not have had a link to the 4th official and a video reply, that is against the laws. He must have been on the link to the East Stand assistant. Our red is also debatable, didn't think Akpo was necessarily in control of the ball. I was just glad to see a penalty awarded and a chance to get out of jail. As regards the other cautions. Benson was booked for dissent and the ref clearly indicated that and as soon as McCormack took it round the keeper and drilled it in after being flagged offside I said he'd get booked so wasn't surprised when he was. Silly booking so I would blame the player and fine him! Also Sodje came on and the ref gave him a talking to and said one more foul and you'll be done for persistent foul play. Good communication and man management skills.
    As regards the advantage he may have given one to us when an offside broke for us but we were still in the defensive third so hardly a real advantage. There was one when we got a shot away which the keeper saved and the ref actually played 2 advantages and went back and booked the 24 for a crude foul on Martin. From one referee watching another that was very good refereeing and trust me advantage is an incredibly difficult thing to master.
    So all told a poor second half performance and we got out of jail. Yeovil looked a decent side and tried to play football and not kick us up in the air.
    I am not defending the referee just trying to give the benefit of my knowledge as a referee myself and what assessors look for. I may also be a bit wound up as I have a game tomorrow and know I will getting dissent left, right and centre so am feeling a bit sensitive....;o)

Up the Addicks!
  • Options
    Didn't realise it was Doherty who scored their 2nd but on the whole he did ok (brilliant block in 1st half...which ran to their bloke to hit it straight at Elliott). But both he and Dailly went for bouncing balls with their head when they had no chance of getting them....and both times it ended in a goal. Dailly wasn't anywhere near his best today...like quite a few others. The service to the front men from out wide was non-existent and Wagstaff was missed. You don't often see a poor 3-2 winning performance but today was the exception. On the plus side (apart from winning) the goals from Jackson and Racon were really well taken. Think we got away with it a bit today but the quality of the finishing was the difference.
  • Options
    The thing which i belive a lot of people missed is that last week we won 5-1 were fantastic and picked up 3points, today we won and picked up 3 points the same amount of points gainded last week, 10-0 or 1-0 you still get 3 points lets be happy with a win and look forward to a win against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night
  • Options
    Another skin of the teeth job, thought Yeovil played well up top, and gave us a few scares, we were not quite on it today,decent performances from semedo, racon, Jackson, we looked unbalanced with reid on the right, which showed in his game today.
    Thought Apko roughed them up when he came on, and deserved the penalty.
    Still we are closing the gap on Brighton, and have a bit of space from teams below us.
    Roll on Tuesday and hopefully another 3 points.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]win was very lucky
    I think the tired cliche is true you make your own luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Doherty running down Floyd Road to the ground just before 1pm - assume he must have been close to being late - and his day didn't seem to get much better from then on.

Jackson seems to have picked up a useful knack of chipping in with a few goals.
    Also impressed with Racon - he seems to be back in form.

Both defences were poor and our penalty looked a touch fortunate - we'll obviously take that, although Yeovil deserved a point.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]Jackson seems to have picked up a useful knack of chipping in with a few goals.

Our top scorer so far!
  • Options
    Makes less errors than Bailey did there too.
  • Options
    Sodjes shirt was clearly pulled so the pen was correct
  • Options
    As said we didn't play well. We were unbalanced with Reid/at times Jackson on the right. Said in another thread Anyinsah along with Wagstaff could make a big difference. Martin at times does well but gets out muscled and can't hold up the ball like Anyinsah can.

Understandably Parky wanted to keep the midfield four with 1 out and out winger and Jackson on the left, it works well, but with the players we had today it meant playing someone out of position.

Wanted Sodje on rather than Abbott and was pleased that was Parky's choice. He showed why, in games like today he causes problems, on form he's a real nuisance.

It's exciting that at the moment we are a team that can create and score goals. Not relying on one or two players either.

I've seen it said quite a bit both this season and last season, but it felt like one of those games we wouldn't have won in the past including last season. Even at 2-2 and down to 10 men, I had a feeling we might get a good chance from somewhere. Couldn't see where it would come from but we kept going and won the penalty.

You know things are going well after Racon has scored 3 in 4 games.
  • Options
    WSS summed it up for me in post 14

Racon MOM, he's in a quality little spell at the moment and long may it continue

Special mention for the pr*ck who decided to offer me out in the toilet at half time whilst I was holding the hand of my 3 yr old little girl, trying to get her into the cubicle to use the loo he decided he only wanted to smoke in there and wouldn't come out - can't have been more than 17 and his half a dozen mates outside with me didn't seem to keen to back him up, he decided to open the door just before I was about to kick it in and then he was brave enough to have a go after seeing who I was with....he's a lucky boy she was with me.....I haven't forgotten his face
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]This is how I would sum up the game, we were poor for large parts and the win was very lucky but it's these sorts of wins that'll decide between promotion or not. The referee has had some very tough critics, yet again. I thought on the whole he had a decent enough game taking out the red cards. Lots of little niggly fouls (and usually pointless free kicks) did go Yeovil's way so fussy in places. The red cards both were debatable. The assistant actually gave the red for Dailly and if it is a clash of heads it should be rescinded and the assistant will take a huge hit on his assessment and then you cannot defend the indefensible. He would not have had a link to the 4th official and a video reply, that is against the laws. He must have been on the link to the East Stand assistant. Our red is also debatable, didn't think Akpo was necessarily in control of the ball. I was just glad to see a penalty awarded and a chance to get out of jail. As regards the other cautions. Benson was booked for dissent and the ref clearly indicated that and as soon as McCormack took it round the keeper and drilled it in after being flagged offside I said he'd get booked so wasn't surprised when he was. Silly booking so I would blame the player and fine him! Also Sodje came on and the ref gave him a talking to and said one more foul and you'll be done for persistent foul play. Good communication and man management skills.
    As regards the advantage he may have given one to us when an offside broke for us but we were still in the defensive third so hardly a real advantage. There was one when we got a shot away which the keeper saved and the ref actually played 2 advantages and went back and booked the 24 for a crude foul on Martin. From one referee watching another that was very good refereeing and trust me advantage is an incredibly difficult thing to master.
    So all told a poor second half performance and we got out of jail. Yeovil looked a decent side and tried to play football and not kick us up in the air.
    I am not defending the referee just trying to give the benefit of my knowledge as a referee myself and what assessors look for. I may also be a bit wound up as I have a game tomorrow and know I will getting dissent left, right and centre so am feeling a bit sensitive....;o)

Up the Addicks!

Funny how referees see other referees' performances differently to supporters. In fact, its funny how they see football differently to everyone else.

Early one the ref made a point of making us take free kicks from within 3 metres of the incident. He continued in this vein throughout the match. However, Yeovil, for some reason, were allowed a lot more flexibility. It surely can't be that difficult to apply that law evenly ?

As for the ref talking into his mic at the Dailly incident, if he was talking to the lino, why didn't he walk 3 paces an speak to him face-to-face ? Instead, he turned away from him, facing more towards the West stand. Can't think why he would want to consult the 4th official who was so far away but suspicious nevertheless. Also, the same lino seemed to be having a lot of problems with understanding the offside rule in the second half, amongst other interesting decisions.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]WSS summed it up for me in post 14

Racon MOM, he's in a quality little spell at the moment and long may it continue

Special mention for the pr*ck who decided to offer me out in the toilet at half time whilst I was holding the hand of my 3 yr old little girl, trying to get her into the cubicle to use the loo he decided he only wanted to smoke in there and wouldn't come out - can't have been more than 17 and his half a dozen mates outside with me didn't seem to keen to back him up, he decided to open the door just before I was about to kick it in and then he was brave enough to have a go after seeing who I was with....he's a lucky boy she was with me.....I haven't forgotten his face

Eltham, the smokers in the toilets are getting on my nerves. Every half-time, there are about 30 to 40 people congregating in the men's toilets making the place stink, filling the air with cancerous smoke. Not only that but they take up space pretending to use the urinals, therefore not allowing others to alleviate themselves. By the time I've been to the toilet I come out smelling like a cigarette factory. The stewards walk in there and have a laugh and joke with them and don't seem to do anything about it; even giving the smokers a subtle hint that they'll be back in ten minutes to allow them to light up again! Now I don't care if people want to give themselves lung cancer, but the law is supposed to be there to protect others, especially young children, who don't want to get tar lined lungs.
  • Options
    Then some time to have a good think bout the gme. Firstly, credit to Yeovil, they tried to ply football and seemed to me a better footballing side than most in his league. The game was enjoyable and had a good tempo . Yes the defence were not at their best but Francis did make a terrific goal saving tackle to go with a couple of errors, we shouldn't forget that. Semedo and Racon were good. Reid didn't look fully fit, Jackson was decent and Benson and Martin worked hard. Pleased to see Parky bring Ackpo on rather than Abbott. I have been banging on about what an important player he is to us and he made a difference. Penalty was definite- and as it was a pen, it had to be a sending off. Dailly incident was right in front of me and i didn't spot an elbow but thought it was a clash of heads. Could be wrong but didn't see it and was in a good position to.

Now the broken record bit- this is a game we would have drawn or lost next season. We were ok, not terrible and no crime to give Yeovil credit. There is a spirit in this team -when Dailly went of I had a suspicion we would go on to win. I'm happy and will be happier now that we have shown we can dig in and grind out a result at home if we show the comfortable alternative on Tuesday.
  • Options
    it's about fucking time some people at the club sort this out otherwise I'll join you mate in giving them a slap as it is pissing me off big time.Airman can you bring it to the attention of the powers that be please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not going to comment on the game too much. Yes we were poor today but a win's a win as most have said. Surprised no comments on Fry - thought he was awful today and must have given the ball straight to a Yeovil player on at least 5 occasions. Also caught on the ball a few times. Wasn't surprised to see him subbed. Hope he gets it back together for Tuesday night as we need Jacko further up the pitch!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Senpai[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]WSS summed it up for me in post 14

Eltham, the smokers in the toilets are getting on my nerves. Every half-time, there are about 30 to 40 people congregating in the men's toilets making the place stink, filling the air with cancerous smoke. Not only that but they take up space pretending to use the urinals, therefore not allowing others to alleviate themselves. By the time I've been to the toilet I come out smelling like a cigarette factory. The stewards walk in there and have a laugh and joke with them and don't seem to do anything about it; even giving the smokers a subtle hint that they'll be back in ten minutes to allow them to light up again! Now I don't care if people want to give themselves lung cancer, but the law is supposed to be there to protect others, especially young children, who don't want to get tar lined lungs.

Anyway, I digress. This was supposed to be about post match views. I thought we started poorly but I thought once we had the lead we might have gone onto to dominate. But credit to Yeovil. They battled all game and closed us down and made us rush our game, leading to mistakes. I didn't think Dailly's tackle leading to a freekick for Yeovil's second goal was a foul.

The defence continued to be incisive throughout the game and were poor throughout. Fortune needs to be given a run of games now surely? Whether that be way of Dailly receiving a lengthy ban after an unsuccessful appeal, or the more likely option of dropping the out of form Doherty. Mind you, has Doherty been in form this season?! Doherty, I thought, was at fault for the first Yeovil goal with poor positioning and looked slow to react. Reid looked out of place on the right which made the midfield unbalanced. It would have been better to have played Martin out on the right, and played either Sodje or Abbott as the second striker. Benson seemed lost without Anyinsah up front with him. Anyway, I was very relieved we played out of sorts and still managed to get three points today.
  • Options
    Would it be worth giving Akpo a run out alongside Benson then? If Wagstaff is not up to starting/playing put Martin on the right instead... Benson seems to work much better with someone more physical backing him up and Abbot hasn't done enough to convince me whereas Akpo can and has popped up with useful goals before.
  • Options
    Yes, without Anyinsah I think we have a replacement in Sodje. Not quite as good but the sort of player that gets the best from Benson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Yes, without Anyinsah I think we have a replacement in Sodje. Not quite as goodn.

Understatement of the year !!

Poor performance but still three points. Not a good performance really between them but racon and jackson were the pick, robbie did nothing wrong whilst francis was back to his worst. Martin flatters to deceive and hasn't as yet performed at home. Yeovil deserved a point and from one real time look only I think akpo played for the pen and the ref bought it. Neither were a sending off IMO. Roll on Tuesday and a draw. Sure I read Keith peacock say that you'll never win three consecutive home games.
  • Options
    Had 3-2 at 25/1 so went home extra happy. The ref had an absolute shocker.
  • Options
    As for the smoking. I have written to the club twice and all you get back in reply is a load of old cobblers about how serious they take it. Like I have said before, if the club get fined ten grand which they deserve I won't be very pleased that my season ticket money for twenty five years has literally gone up in smoke.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ref was poor as is half (sorry) all the refs at this level. What i am finding strange is that we pick up yellow cards for minor offences and for the opposition it doen't matter how many fouls you commit or type of fouls you don't get a yellow card unless you shoot someone (not that I am condoning shooting). As for Dailly's red card. I see it as this way. Dailly was frustrated as threy were continually diving for free kicks (as per Yeovil's 2nd goal) whereby their opponent clearly climbed all over Dailly fouled Dailly and then from the free kick Yeovil scored (hey referees and lino don't worry youcocked up that decision when it should be free kick our way). Dailly then moaned to the lino 5 mins later (cue sensitive lino and crap refereee 10 mins later) Dailyy raised his elbow BUT DID NOT ELBOW their player in the face !!!) but bundled him onto the ground with his elbow into the back off the player and he made a meal of it and got him sent off. However I think the rule is "If u raise ur arms...." However the referees seem to follow their own rules... when our players get yellow get cards for minor offences other players are commiting worse fouls but gettin NO cards. That is so frustrating !!! Parky gets callled up before the fa but refs are allowed to make cock ups and get away with it... FA and referees have got Huge problems but they won't admit it. If a manager complains they won't have it. The FA need to get their head out of their cushy little arses and sort out the standard of refereeing as they are a joke and and embarassment!!
  • Options
    This game was always going to be harder than people thought as Yeovil were up for it and we all know it is not Charlton's style to do things the easy way.

Jackson and Racon finished clinically and Jackson kept a cool head to net the match winning penalty. The Yeovil first goal was down to one of our partings of the Red Sea as the midfield and defence allowed Williams the freedom of The Valley to make a run and finish well. The second Yeovil goal was Doherty on a frolic of his own sticking it in our top corner! These things happen with defenders every so often though.Other than that Robbie made one excellent save low to his left in the first half and made a few decent catches. There wasn't much else for him to do.

I didn't think Dailly elbowed their defender and hopefully the referee will look at it again. If he doesn't well at least it is only 2 league games as the Cup game next week will count for the 3rd match.

We've played better but the important thing for me today is that we dug in and showed the character to graft for the 3 points. Last season we would have drawn that match I reckon.
  • Options
    At least we have now had a victory at home this season scoring more then 1 goal.