Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 3 - 2 Yeovil - Post match views

13»

Comments

• Options
    did anyone here see the football league show tonight, they hardly gave us a mention about the match, and i dont know why liz was so cocky. "alot of charlton fans here already getting excited about promotion, remember what happened last season". erm, excuse me liz, weve won our last 5 matches in the league, and with almost a complete new squad this season that are close to being gelled, of course at least some charlton fans will get excited about promotion! Oh well, says alot about the BBC, but im not going to let this ruin my weekend, weve reduced the margin to 4 points at the top, but whatever happens we'll just have to manage without our skipper for 4 games, but nontheless COYR!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Definitely a red for dailly

What is that lizzies problem with us I know she's palace but slating our meat pies. Thank god Claridge was there to state "I had three of them and they were lovely"
  • Options
    I was more surprised that Claridge likes our meat pies. Best keeping him on the football league show and not transfer him to judging on masterchef.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Hex[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]This is how I would sum up the game, we were poor for large parts and the win was very lucky but it's these sorts of wins that'll decide between promotion or not. The referee has had some very tough critics, yet again. I thought on the whole he had a decent enough game taking out the red cards. Lots of little niggly fouls (and usually pointless free kicks) did go Yeovil's way so fussy in places. The red cards both were debatable. The assistant actually gave the red for Dailly and if it is a clash of heads it should be rescinded and the assistant will take a huge hit on his assessment and then you cannot defend the indefensible. He would not have had a link to the 4th official and a video reply, that is against the laws. He must have been on the link to the East Stand assistant. Our red is also debatable, didn't think Akpo was necessarily in control of the ball. I was just glad to see a penalty awarded and a chance to get out of jail. As regards the other cautions. Benson was booked for dissent and the ref clearly indicated that and as soon as McCormack took it round the keeper and drilled it in after being flagged offside I said he'd get booked so wasn't surprised when he was. Silly booking so I would blame the player and fine him! Also Sodje came on and the ref gave him a talking to and said one more foul and you'll be done for persistent foul play. Good communication and man management skills.
    As regards the advantage he may have given one to us when an offside broke for us but we were still in the defensive third so hardly a real advantage. There was one when we got a shot away which the keeper saved and the ref actually played 2 advantages and went back and booked the 24 for a crude foul on Martin. From one referee watching another that was very good refereeing and trust me advantage is an incredibly difficult thing to master.
    So all told a poor second half performance and we got out of jail. Yeovil looked a decent side and tried to play football and not kick us up in the air.
    I am not defending the referee just trying to give the benefit of my knowledge as a referee myself and what assessors look for. I may also be a bit wound up as I have a game tomorrow and know I will getting dissent left, right and centre so am feeling a bit sensitive....;o)

Up the Addicks!

Funny how referees see other referees' performances differently to supporters. In fact, its funny how they see football differently to everyone else.

Early one the ref made a point of making us take free kicks from within 3 metres of the incident. He continued in this vein throughout the match. However, Yeovil, for some reason, were allowed a lot more flexibility. It surely can't be that difficult to apply that law evenly ?

As for the ref talking into his mic at the Dailly incident, if he was talking to the lino, why didn't he walk 3 paces an speak to him face-to-face ? Instead, he turned away from him, facing more towards the West stand. Can't think why he would want to consult the 4th official who was so far away but suspicious nevertheless. Also, the same lino seemed to be having a lot of problems with understanding the offside rule in the second half, amongst other interesting decisions.

Funny how every single football fan thinks the referee is solely there to give them free kicks and not the opposition. Don't you think the point of view might be different as the referee is totally neutral and your view may be a more than a little stilted? After all he gives Yeovil 2 free kicks inside 30 seconds and all of a sudden he's an a***hole and not fit to referee!
    I thought he was even with people taking free kicks. Certainly nowhere near as much leniancy towards Yeovil as you are suggesting. There was an advanced free kick for Yeovil and called it back. After all if he has to constantly blow his whistle to make players take free kicks from the right spot then everyone says he's getting busy and not letting the game flow!
    That's the thing whatever the ref does it will be seen as suspicious. I don't know why he spoke into his mic or didn't walk to the lino but he couldn't have been talking to the 4th as he doesn't have a video link so no advantage would have been gained by it.
    I could talk until I'm blue in the face but after all I'm in the 'ref's union' as is so eloquently put so it automatically seems my opinion means less and I am wrong. Just like every referee. I support Charlton and want them to win with all my being but also know how hard a job the referee has so try to see the game from both angles from the fan's view and the referees.
  • Options
    Ref wasn`t great. Far too fussy and inconsistent with his decisions but we have seen worse.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights on bbc i player:

Dailly leads with his arm. He should know better than that.

Doherty didn't have the 'mare' that a lot of people are saying he did. Yes, he scored an own goal. But he also made at least two vital challenges, won far more than Dailly and power-headed the ball forward from just inside their half for Akpo to get the penalty and win the game!
  • Options
    Spankie, in defending the ref you are missing a vital point. That is, fans always want to moan about the ref - he was too picky, he didn't let the game flow and, quite clearly, he was biased against their own team. This is a part of the game and so why should you seek to deny them that simple pleasure?
  • Options
    I thought Doc did OK. Made mistakes like everyone else, and he doesn't have the pace, but not only did he win a lot of headers, and I saw three that were critical, their accuracy was pretty good plus he covered for Dailly at times. Doesn't deserve the slating some have given him IMO. Not at our best and our work rate wasn't brilliant, but I felt very happy and relieved to have taken three points. Yeovil were tougher than I had expected. Didn't really see Dailly's red card, but he has got away with a lot of wrestling in the past, a canny pro. who's come unstuck this time perhaps.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If he doesn't well at least it is only 2 league games as the Cup game next week will count for the 3rd match.

Unfortunately Len it'll be four matches in total, because he's had one ban already. There would still have been two cup games there, had Sky not decided to show us and move the fixture (WHY???).
  • Options
    Ref wound me up yesterday. Clearly loved being the centre of attention. Strutted about the pitch like the proverbial peacock. Even the way he brandished cards showed a degree of arrogance.

When will these blokes realise that we dont go to see them?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I didn't think Dailly elbowed their defender and hopefully the referee will look at it again. If he doesn't well at least it is only 2 league games as the Cup game next week will count for the 3rd match..

Assuming appeal fails Dailly is out for 4 games, cause he was sent off earlier in the season. If the JPT game had not been moved he would have only missed 2 league games but the TV showing of the game means he'll miss Bristol Rover, Rochdale and Walsall.
  • Options
    Pleased to see Akpo take he's chance. Lost alot of weight as well to he's credit.

Said he is better than Abbot who now has alot to prove next time he gets his chance.
  • Options
    3 points in the bag from a disjointed performance
    I thought dailly was trying to handle the ball but got all mixed up whilst trying to disguise it and it all went horribly wrong
    Fairplay to akpo making a nuisance of himself but he looks so awkward
    I hoped jackson wouldn't go for the smashed penalty down the middle again cos I feared their keeper would be waiting for it and he was but it flew past him
    Took my nearly 5 year old son to his 2nd game , we left the first at half time but he got more into this one and didn't find the words too hard to learn to join in the singing " red army red army ...." He lasted the 90+ this time and wants to go again he asked me what does booooo mean !!
    Anyway automatic promotion 20% play offs 75% division 3 again 5% ......
    Can't say that performance inspired me but the league is junk bar us soton and brighton by the looks of it
  • Options
    Have to give credit to Yeovil, they pressed us relentlessly in midfield and we struggled to get much quality possesion because of this. Not having Anyinsah playing on the shoulder of their CBs meant they could play a higher line and compress midfield. They seemed to dominate in the air and were first to most second balls so we never had much of a platform to build from. Still, three goals and a win is all that matters.
  • Options
    I was really hoping that, with our renewed confidence winning mentality we would come firing out of the blocks with real purpose and passion.
    But once again, it was a fairly lacklustre start where we almost invited them to take the initiative.
    I thought Yeovil gave our defenders a hard game; Dailly sometimes struggled to win his headers; Francis and Fry misplaced passes and made a lot of wrong choices.
    Our first 2 goals were very well taken, as was their first; poor defending for their second.
    Despite a good viewpoint I didn't see exactly what caused their player to collapse. Dailly seemed to be insisting that it was a clash of heads.
    What I do think, is that the collective sense of injustice felt by our players and the fans is what galvanised us to go on and win the game.
    If only we'd started the game with that mentality.
    On balance I think we just shaded it and the belief and confidence from a good run saw us through
  • Options
    Special mention for the pr*ck who decided to offer me out in the toilet at half time whilst I was holding the hand of my 3 yr old little girl, trying to get her into the cubicle to use the loo he decided he only wanted to smoke in there and wouldn't come out - can't have been more than 17 and his half a dozen mates outside with me didn't seem to keen to back him up, he decided to open the door just before I was about to kick it in and then he was brave enough to have a go after seeing who I was with....he's a lucky boy she was with me.....I haven't forgotten his face[/quote]

hi eltham was you in the con club before the game ?? as i think i was sitting at the same table as you !!
  • Options
    Not a particularly fluent performance and defensively we were shaky, at least until Fortune came on and started to dominate their target man who Dailly had struggled a bit with tbh. Positives were there to be taken though - the fight in this team continues to come to fore and with all three subs coming on and making valuable contributions it would appear everyone is pulling in the same direction. Jacko, Racon and Benson were all excellent again too.

We'd have drawn or possibly even lost this game last season, but there are goals in this side now and I always felt we'd score enough to win, even with ten men. 16 goals for in 5 games is not be sniffed at at all and a great reaction to the tonking Brighton handed out. Lets hope we can continue to push on from here, Brighton have a tough trip to Saints on Tuesday, so we could be right on their heals by the middle of this week. They play Colchester at the weekend too - we could even be top in 7 days time!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Not a particularly fluent performance and defensively we were shaky, at least until Fortune came on and started to dominate their target man who Dailly had struggled a bit with tbh. Positives were there to be taken though - the fight in this team continues to come to fore and with all three subs coming on and making valuable contributions it would appear everyone is pulling in the same direction. Jacko, Racon and Benson were all excellent again too.

We'd have drawn or possibly even lost this game last season, but there are goals in this side now and I always felt we'd score enough to win, even with ten men. 16 goals for in 5 games is not be sniffed at at all and a great reaction to the tonking Brighton handed out. Lets hope we can continue to push on from here, Brighton have a tough trip to Saints on Tuesday, so we could be right on their heals by the middle of this week. They play Colchester at the weekend too - we could even be top in 7 days time!

My preference result for these games would be two draws for brighton, I think Saints are starting to look the bizz, should have kept Pardew you could always rely on him cocking it up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: clive the addick[/cite]Special mention for the pr*ck who decided to offer me out in the toilet at half time whilst I was holding the hand of my 3 yr old little girl, trying to get her into the cubicle to use the loo he decided he only wanted to smoke in there and wouldn't come out - can't have been more than 17 and his half a dozen mates outside with me didn't seem to keen to back him up, he decided to open the door just before I was about to kick it in and then he was brave enough to have a go after seeing who I was with....he's a lucky boy she was with me.....I haven't forgotten his face

hi eltham was you in the con club before the game ?? as i think i was sitting at the same table as you !!

yep I was, with my little girl, my mate and his little boy....were you the one who broke the glass...;o)
  • Options
    I'd rather brighton did Southampton. I think Southampton will win the league, hope not. :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First time back at the Valley for over a year. Thought the defense was poor and too much kicking the ball into the air and hoping for the best,Racon tried to play the ball on the ground and the midfield and strikers never stopped trying. We were in the West stand and it was far quieter than it used to be, no singing and not much else. Was sitting 2 rows behind the Charlton dugout and when Reid was subbed he must have said something as he came off as Breaker had a right go at him!
    Pity we missed Henry & Oggy in the Lib!
  • Options
    Oggy is a legend
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Oggy is a legend

You should try sitting next to Him for 90 minutes......

PS. Daz, He had your ticket for yesterday !
    ;-)
  • Options
    Agreed, win your games against your rivals and hope they all draw against each other thus both sides drop points. Saints are doubtless a big threat so a draw between them and Brighton would be ideal. I'm not too bothered about us hitting top spot - just as long as we keep winning - I was just pointing out it's a very real posibility that we could be top after the next two games.

There is of course the little matter of two games we have to play - Bristol took a point away from the Withdean on Saturday and Rochdale have had some decent results at home so both are far from foregone conclusions.
  • Options
    Deserved win - performance not great but better than the home matches vs Notts, Oldham, MK, Dagenham (and Brighton of course).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]

PS. Daz, He hadyourticket for yesterday !
    ;-)

Good to see you, Oggy, Adam and other lifers yesterday.
  • Options
    i think our performances at home can be put into 2 categories - those with Anyinsah and those without. Unfortunately without him at home we struggle to create chances although we created more than we usually do at home without him. If we are really serious about promotion then i thinka couple of signings are needed in the window - a creative midfielder and another pacey striker - without them additions i think we will come up a bit short. It's not my money but i think we havea good chance with the right 2 signings and with Fortune in for Doherty.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]

PS. Daz, He hadyourticket for yesterday !
    ;-)

1) Thanks, Dazzler ...... I've never had a number one fan before!

2) Thanks Moggy for services rendered - much appreciated!
    Sorry if I get a bit passionate at times.......(!)

3) Len Glover - thanks for the lift back and your good company. Nice one.

4) Great to catch up with other Lifers in the Lib and in the ground.
    And meeting Plaaaaayer and Adam the Addick for the first time.

But where was our leader .......?