Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

new defender in on loan

13»

Comments

• Options
    Does that mean that, if we sign him permanently, we'll be looking to release Llera or Fortune 'cos we will have no less than NINE (Dailly, Doc, Llera, Fortune, Seip, Mambo, Fry, Semedo & Francis) players who can play of which the first seven would say it is their preferred position to play. Add Solly and Jacko to the list and we have a Team of Defenders!

Would rather we had brought in a Left back as cover as that would have enabled Fry to switch to CB as and when necessary and meant that Jacko could have stayed in midfield rather than revert to LB as the shape of the Team changes when we do that.

Fry, Semedo and Francis are not competent central defenders, Seip has been brought in to cover the right back position. Even when fit, little Chris Solly, although a whole hearted player is not good or dependable enough to hold down a first team place. As for left back, Jackson can cover there.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Lincsaddick[/cite]Fry, Semedo and Francis are not competent central defenders, .[/quote]

Please add the poor El Donko to that list. LIke a new born foal with a football.

Sad but true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lincsaddick[/cite]
    Fry, Semedo and Francis are not competent central defenders, Seip has been brought in to cover the right back position. Even when fit, little Chris Solly, although a whole hearted player is not good or dependable enough to hold down a first team place. As for left back, Jackson can cover there.

Think you may be underestimating Solly a bit there. he's young and will make mistakes, but he's already had some very good games at right back. I'd expect him to be pushing Francis hard for a star, when he's fit again.

Fry is also a decent centre back (he played well there vs Notts County despite concedeing a penalty). I think the issue there though is we don't want to have to push JJ back as he's becoming an important cog in our midfield. Likewise, JVS will do a more than adequate job in central defence, especially in this division, but he has an important job to do in front of the back 4 and we should only be moving him as a last resort.

I think overall this is a sensible, preventative move which has been triggered by the emergency loans deadline. If that wasn't looming I suspect we'd take our chances with what we have and strengthen at short notice if needed. Dailly being suspended until after the loan deadline removes that option.
  • Options
    Agree on Solly, already shown he is a good enough player at this level this season and works very well with Waggy.
  • Options
    how anyone can suggest solly is not dependable to hold down a first team place when he hasnt been given the opportunity in his position to show anyone what he is capable of is beyond me

this new fella sounds ok, i think we had been interested in him before