Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West stand, give us a song

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, this isn't just the west stand. The North and the east stand lack any atmosphere aswell. The only people we ever have singing songs (not red army and cafc) are about 3-400 at the back. You get just as many people who bring their pack lunch in the North...

The only way to sort this is to get everyone who wants to sing nearest the big screen, nearest the away fans. To get this message across, we will need someone the fans can relate too (Brian Cole?). Imagine 2 blocks in the east standing and singing, would be very intimidating for away fans and players. Hopefully the Covered end will still create some atmosphere aswell. Would be great to have the fans in the east and the fans in the Covered end singing at each other!
  • Options
    No the point of going to a football match is to watch the game?..people have different opinions but surely you can understand if people don't want to sing? I sit in West Stand..i hardly ever sing, but when i do, i mean it. But i don't criticise the 90-year old next to me for not singing?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Also, this isn't just the west stand. The North and the east stand lack any atmosphere aswell. The only people we ever have singing songs (not red army and cafc) are about 3-400 at the back. You get just as many people who bring their pack lunch in the North...

The only way to sort this is to get everyone who wants to sing nearest the big screen, nearest the away fans. To get this message across, we will need someone the fans can relate too (Brian Cole). Imagain 2 blocks in the east standing and singing, would be very intimidating for away fans and players. Hopefully the Covered end will still create some atmosphere aswell. Would be great to have the fans in the east and the fans in the Covered end singing at each other!

Yes mate I totally agree, that would be great!
  • Options
    I think I'm great
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I think I'm great

I agree
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not bothering with people on here any more, ill do my thing and you do yours. Guess some people at The Valley are happy with the away fans sounding louder then the HOME side. Makes me laugh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StubleyAddick[/cite]No the point of going to a football match is to watch the game?..people have different opinions but surely you can understand if people don't want to sing? I sit in West Stand..i hardly ever sing, but when i do, i mean it. But i don't criticise the 90-year old next to me for not singing?

The point of going to a football game indeed is to watch the game. I often go see my cousin play on a Saturday morning.

Watching Charlton is more about going to watch a game, it's going to see the team you love and to share the same feeling/passion with people who also share your feelings.

Football is a way of life ect ect..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Not bothering with people on here any more, ill do my thing and you do yours.

That's what you said the last three times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Not bothering with people on here any more, ill do my thing and you do yours.

That's what you said the last three times.

Can't help it.
  • Options
    My dad has been going to Charlton for over 40 years. He sits in the West Stand and doesn't sing - doesn't even scream abuse at the ref or opposition.

Imagine that, doing something for 40 years that you have no "passion" for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we had a singers section designated when the covered was given the upper lets keep it there please......
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Keep it the furthest away from the away fans and pitch? I wouldn't mind it if the whole north actually sang.

Off_it, did your dad sing on the terraces back in his hayday?

Singing and having a laugh is the biggest part of my match day, then the performace on the pitch will hopefully match it. I understand the view taken by others though, it's what gives a family club it's name.

Old timers should have maximum respect to do what they like. When you see middle aged men sitting with a blanket and a flask, it does make you wonder though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]

What's that got to do with anything? He doesn't sing now and so, according to some, that makes him less of a fan because he doesn't have "passion". I'll let him know that next time I see him. Having had a stroke a year or so ago, having to go into hospital for tests because he's been passing blood and dragging himself up to the top of the West Stand with a shot knee every home game then I'm sure he'll give a fuck what the likes of you think mate.
  • Options
    oh dear this is more fun than the Comedy channel
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]

What's that got to do with anything? He doesn't sing now and so, according to some, that makes him less of a fan because he doesn't have "passion". I'll let him know that next time I see him. Having had a stroke a year or so ago, having to go into hospital for tests because he's been passing blood and dragging himself up to the top of the West Stand with a shot knee every home game then I'm sure he'll give a fuck what the likes of you think mate.

I don't think anyone has said anything about people like your Dad. He has every right to sit in silence if need be, especially with having a stroke ect.

If you have no reason not to sing and shout, don't just give your money and be happy, give your voice until it hurts for the club!

We all find it amazing, the atmospheres the Stoke and Liverpools make ect..We have enough people who can make a decent atmosphere at the Valley but chose not to due to getting funny looks or just being plain bores!
  • Options
    Thanks CafcAndy. Very kind of you to let my dad off the hook like that - I'm sure he'll be very grateful.

Now what about the bloke that sits in front of me. He's getting on a bit now and has to keep shuffling off for a piss two or three times a half. Is he excused duty too?
  • Options
    What kind of tartan Mickey?
  • Options
    H block and and J block have trouble keeping in time and singing same songs as eachother, how do you expect everyone to get in time just wouldn't happen at charlton. And fair play to the guy who stood up made everyone laugh :)
  • Options
    I sat in the West Stand for ages and now I am in the North Upper and what a brilliant choice that was.

I can accept the West sitters don't have to sing and can just watch the game but does it not hurt when we are chanting "red army" just to clap along to the singing?

I used to clap myself to this when I was sitting in the west stand but no one joined me nearer.
  • Options
    Feck me some people.

Cafcandy, Jazzy etc... Personally i would love the valley to be rocking every home game but at the end of the day near enough every stadium you go away to away fans usually outsing home fans. Its fact & the valley is no different. Get used to it cause it wont ever change. Some people, not saying you 2, but some people say i pay my money to watch the game i have the right to boo my team if they dont deliver. Well swisdom etc in the west have the right to watch the match how they want whether its in silence or singing. Its there choice. They've paid there money. Other peoples parents like Off_Its for example who have been following us for years & years choose to watch the game rather than sing. Big deal. There the ones that have been going before you were born spending there money to follow us but by supporting the club in a different way to you 2. They are no way whatsoever less passionate about charlton than the ones that want to make a bit of noise.

What do you suggest. Kick them out & see an even more emptier stadium so away fans can rip the sh*t out of us even more. They were here in the prem years & way beyond that & if i remember the atmosphere was good back then.

Oh & by the way i went southamon last year & cant remember it being loud or intimidating
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have only suggested ways that could make the atmosphere better.

Not many away fans these days outsing the home fans, look up and down the leagues.

The sooner people stop defending the prawn sandwich brigade the better.

Oap's ect of course they don't have to stand and sing, but if you look at the back of the north it goes to show even they can sing and shout!
  • Options
    Andy, mate, stop making yourself look a complete mug.

Do you know everyone in the West Stand? No. But they're all in the "Prawn Sandwich Brigade" are they?

You've already excused my old man (thanks again, very kind of you - it means a lot) so who's to say he's the only "deserving case" for your charity.

Please, PLEASE, we get your point - you would like the atmosphere to be better. Don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. I just don't see why you have to slag of our own to make it. Surely you'd be better slagging off the people who don't come anymore rather than the people that do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Surely you'd be better slagging off the people who don't come anymore rather than the people that do.

Now that's the real issue ... it ain't about those who go ... quiet or not, these are the hardcore fans these days.
  • Options
    RNSIT%20Tartan%20Blanket%20RSS.JPG
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Not many away fans these days outsing the home fans, look up and down the leagues.

??
  • Options
    Do you not understand what im trying to say off_it.

I had a season ticket in the west upper and Lower for 12 years. When you see men and teenagers with a flask and blanket it makes you wonder! That's all i have said, now stop making something out of nothing.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    And when have i excused your Dad? He has been going Charlton for 40 years, he can do whatever the hell he likes, that's not being excused that's just Football.

It's the way this Family club is and i know it will be hard to change that. The mentality of some of our fans is that of a cricket fan. Your telling me, everyone in the West is over the age of 55 or disabled?

Also the amount of people that have stated on here, they would love to sing and shout but they get funny looks..?
  • Options
    Yes, I understand perfectly well what you are saying. However, you seem incapable of seeing the other side of the argument.

And, for the record, that's not exactly all you have said. But I really don't have the energy or the inclination to keep engaging with you and going on about it. I sit in the West Stand you see - I clearly don't even have enough passion to have a row on an internet message board.
  • Options
    I'll bullet point what i have said in this thread and previous.

1) Not everyone likes to sing, that is like any club, but we seem to have more of them type of people than most.

2) Newer fans are being bought into the flask drinking and blanket wearing instead of having fun creating some atmosphere.

3) A new singing section near the east would work well, or even in the North Library lower where it blongs. I still stand by that was one of the worst decisions the club made telling everyone that wants to sing go to the back of the north. Made singing anywhere else a strange thing to do.

4) People who love the West and the East for a good view and also like to sing and shout are being given funny looks when they do show there passion and emotions, that's the type of fans we have.

That's it Off_It, i would love to take your argument but when you get called a mug when you have different opinions it's a bit hard, crawl back to the clique you bore.