Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local Pizza Hut own goal.

Comments

• Options
    As I said previously - maybe the White kids were known? Or staff? Or regulars?

But the mail wouldn't be interested in finding that out as it makes for a crap story
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]As I said previously - maybe the White kids were known? Or staff? Or regulars?

But the mail wouldn't be interested in finding that out as it makes for a crap story
    ok nobodies being racist then there just must be another reason. I like to think the best in people but this stinks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]As I said previously - maybe the White kids were known? Or staff? Or regulars?

Or nerdy looking?

Or saying please and thankyou?

Or not trying to be Billy big bollocks?

Not saying the players were. Just that it's a possibility.

I've had the race card pulled on me before. The argument had nothing to do with the bloke being Asian and everything to do with him acting like a prick. Not to mention the fact i was have a beer with my mate Sizwe.

People try to cry Racism and all it does is detract from the social cancer that is actual Racism.
  • Options
    Whatever the reason, the staff thought there was a risk of them not paying. Surely it's up to the staff!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Whatever the reason, the staff thought there was a risk of them not paying. Surely it's up to the staff![/quote]

Isn't that the same arguement shop owners in the South of the USA used when they said they wouldn't serve black people in their shop? Was that right or wrong?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Whatever the reason, the staff thought there was a risk of them not paying. Surely it's up to the staff![/quote]

Isn't that the same arguement shop owners in the South of the USA used when they said they wouldn't serve black people in their shop? Was that right or wrong?[/quote]

Fine by me!
  • Options
    DFT

It is only up to the staff if their decision was well founded and could be supported. If it wasmade because to the colour of the person's skin then NO it is not up to the staff.
  • Options
    Surely footballers could stretch to Pizza Express ?
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]One of the players was white so struggling to find where the race card can be played. As swisdom said, nothing story.

No they weren’t, I think you’re confusing Liam Feeney and Warren Feeney.

If there’s evidence that the restaurant had had people run out with out paying a number of times (which seems to be the reason for this policy) and each time they had been young black men, would you say that it was racist that they enforced the policy against the footballers as opposed to the young white kids ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Whatever the reason, the staff thought there was a risk of them not paying. Surely it's up to the staff!

Isn't that the same arguement shop owners in the South of the USA used when they said they wouldn't serve black people in their shop? Was that right or wrong?

Fine by me!

No surprise there!

The racist, sectarian and violent thugs represented by the various ‘Red Hand of Ulster’ terrorists groups always supported the suppression of the Negroes in the American south; especially when the civil rights movements in the southern states led to the Catholics in Northern Ireland rising up to fight for their own civil rights.

It amazes me that admin let you get away with your icon/avatar or whatever it is called. I am sure if I chose to use a swastika it would be swiftly removed!
  • Options
    Anyone 'ere done a runner from a restaurant before?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Red Hand of Ulster’ terrorists groups always supported the suppression of the Negroes in the American south

Hmmm...now who's making discriminatory judgements based on someones demographic ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Anyone 'ere done a runner from a restaurant before?

Yep, but didn't run, only walked. And stopped to get coats from the cloakroom on the way out :-) Some place in Covent Garden. Asked for the bill and after waiting 20 mins gave up and left.
  • Options
    Does seem that although the club is rightly applauded for the work with raising the profile for anti racism campaigns there are still plenty of closet racists in the crowd.

Always amazed me the amount of people over the years who hear a south London accent and at some stage, when no one is about, say something racist because "if you're from South London you must be racist".

The thing I have never understood is that when you see a lot of the white genetic master race examples who spout this rubbish; the only thought that occurs to me is that unless they want to breed a master race of fat, balding, heavily tattooed, barely literate, unintelligible morons they might have a problem... and that's just the women
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Red Hand of Ulster’ terrorists groups always supported the suppression of the Negroes in the American south

Hmmm...now who's making discriminatory judgements based on someones demographic ?

Don't understand your point.

If I saw someone sitting in a restaurant wearing a large swastika sign on his tee-shirt I would judge that person to be a facist and a racist. Are you saying I would be wrong to make such a discriminatory judgement?

PS On the Pizza Hut incident I don't think the staff were being racist. Just as I expect and hope that airport security targets passengers who match a certain 'profile' I think restaurant owners are entitled to 'profile' customers who match the characteristics of the typical customer who will attempt to walk out without paying. It is unfortunate for the innocent people who are impacted just as it is unfortunate for the innocent people who are always subjected to extra security checks whenever they travel simply because of the way they look.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]PS On the Pizza Hut incident I don't think the staff were being racist. Just as I expect and hope that airport security targets passengers who match a certain 'profile' I think restaurant owners are entitled to 'profile' customers who match the characteristics of the typical customer who will attempt to walk out without paying. It is unfortunate for the innocent people who are impacted just as it is unfortunate for the innocent people who are always subjected to extra security checks whenever they travel simply because of the way they look

Conversley I think they probably were being racist, but without the full info as to why the measures were brought in then it's hard to know.

[cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]If I saw someone sitting in a restaurant wearing a large swastika sign on his tee-shirt I would judge that person to be a facist and a racist. Are you saying I would be wrong to make such a discriminatory judgement?

Not quite the same is it ?
  • Options
    [cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]If I saw someone sitting in a restaurant wearing a large swastika sign on his tee-shirt I would judge that person to be a facist and a racist. Are you saying I would be wrong to make such a discriminatory judgement?

Not quite the same is it ?

Still not getting your point. I assumed you meant in your original reply that just because someone uses an offensive sectarian symbol as their icon/avatar I should not judge them as being holders of the views normally associated with that symbol. Which would mean that if someone on here used a swastika as their icon/avatar you think I would be wrong to pre judge them as being holders of nazis views.

So what exactly did you mean by your reply below?

• Options
    I find DFT's avatar offensive and always have. I imagine he'd argue it demonstrates his allegence to Britain as an Ulsterman (is he and Ulsterman?). The swastika has many connotations around the world and throughout history but as SE8 says, if someone used it on here and tried to pass it off as a symbol of luck in Hinduism for example, would it be accepted by admin?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]I find DFT's avatar offensive and always have. I imagine he'd argue it demonstrates his allegence to Britain as an Ulsterman (is he and Ulsterman?). The swastika has many connotations around the world and throughout history but as SE8 says, if someone used it on here and tried to pass it off as a symbol of luck in Hinduism for example, would it be accepted by admin?
    Weird. I don't find it offensive. Just sad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]I find DFT's avatar offensive and always have. I imagine he'd argue it demonstrates his allegence to Britain as an Ulsterman (is he and Ulsterman?). The swastika has many connotations around the world and throughout history but as SE8 says, if someone used it on here and tried to pass it off as a symbol of luck in Hinduism for example, would it be accepted by admin?

Why find it offensive though? There is nothing racist about it. Im sure if it was racist the Northern Irish would be pressured to take the red hand of ulster off the Flag

[cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    Weird. I don't find it offensive. Just sad.

And that what he prob thinks of you little picture.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]

Why find it offensive though? There is nothing racist about it. Im sure if it was racist the Northern Irish would be pressured to take the red hand of ulster off the Flag

What flag?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Northern Irish flag
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]The Northern Irish flag

You mean the one that hasn't been used in an official capacity for 38 years?

By the way, does anyone know what exactly is the symbol in D_F_T's avatar? It's not the Ulster Banner (what SE9 thinks the NI flag) - in that, the crown is bigger and outside the star shape. I can't find the exact organisation being represented.
  • Options
    Maybe he could just tell us instead of doing the usual thing him and his con club cronies do, post something offensive then leg it.
  • Options
    Re Chunes- leg it? Maybe he doesnt have a computer in front of him 24 hours a day, just a thought?
  • Options
    Getting away from the thorny problems of people not from NI popping off opinions on the subject; this was racist, undisputably. Unless, of course, the police advised pizza hut staff to only insist a certain demographic had to pay for food in advance.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Anyone 'ere done a runner from a restaurant before?

Yes, but only because I found out Simon Jordan was the owner - so fully justified in my opinion
  • Options
    Mortimerician - Yes. It is so obvious and yet we have all many of rubbish on this thread thrown up in Pizza Hut's defence. Even Pizza Hut apologised and then, without any explanation, said that it was not racist. That looks both ways at the same time. If it was not racist then why are they apologising? If it was racist then apologise, admit it, take action to stop it happening again and move on.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]By the way, does anyone know what exactly is the symbol in D_F_T's avatar? It's not the Ulster Banner (what SE9 thinks the NI flag) - in that, the crown is bigger and outside the star shape. I can't find the exact organisation being represented.

OK. I think I have the avatar pic now, or very close to it anyway

English Loyalists

I think it's fairly clear now that it's a political symbol, not a religious or ethnic one. I think someone with a Labour rose or a Tory tree as their avatar would be expected to be lumped with the respective party's past, so there's nothing really different about this.

Offensive? Not really, although, contrary to SE9's beliefs, the NI government doesn't use that symbol any more.

Back to Pizza Hut, yes, I think it was racist, and the fact that the staff may or may not have been Asian doesn't change the fact that they seem to have made a value judgement on customers based on the colour of their skin. We only found out about this because the customers were professional footballers
  • Options
    Are those Nazi salutes?

CFC_LOYAL_FLAG_SM.JPG
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Are those Nazi salutes?

CFC_LOYAL_FLAG_SM.JPG

No. They are the red hand of ulster salutes