Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP - Charlton takeover misses Christmas Eve completion target

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
By Richard Cawley

CHARLTON'S takeover will not be completed on Christmas Eve - the date the investor group were hoping to be in control.

But Addicks chairman Richard Murray said that a deal was close for him to relinquish control of the League One side.

Murray said: "We are currently finalising aspects of the proposed takeover. We expect to make a more substantive statement very soon."

Comments

• Options
    aaarrrgggg!!!
  • Options
    More concerned about the effect this may have on the on-pitch performance...I know it shouldn't have any effect in theory, but I think it does unsettle the team and certainly must add to stress levels and serve to distract the manager. Crunch game tomorrow. I hope they can play through and get the result we need.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wheresmeticket?[/cite]Crunch game tomorrow. I hope they can play through and get the result we need.

Yep, Yorkshire pudding v roast spuds - always a real humdinger of a battle for supremacy on my plate that one. But you're right, as long as it all "plays through" by the end of the day it should make room for more of the same after our match on boxing day.
    ;o)
  • Options
    Hahahahaha

Oh this bloody christmas business does my brain in!
  • Options
    Is it me ?There is nothing in the statement by RM on the website that says the further statement will not come later tonight. They may be just agreeing the wording of the announcement.
  • Options
    I think the deal with the new website is that the club earns advertising revenue based on the number of 'hits' it gets. That ambiguous statement is going to ensure a few thousand extra 'hits' tonight!
  • Options
    Who knows Granpa. Just quoting the SLP. I presume they know more than us - but maybe not!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I think the deal with the new website is that the club earns advertising revenue based on the number of 'hits' it gets. That ambiguous statement is going to ensure a few thousand extra 'hits' tonight!

Yep, I'm sure that's why they did it. Probably raised at least an extra £200 today. Keep this going and we might have enough to buy a new set of corner flags and some goal nets, which are bound to come in handy in our push for promotion.
  • Options
    I have a horrible feeling things are turning pear shaped at the last minute.
  • Options
    Wouldnt be supprised,

Typical in all fairness
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]I have a horrible feeling things are turning pear shaped at the last minute.

I don't. I think we're inches away, but it's quite unreasonable to expect the participants to abandon their families and keep hammering out the final details on this holiest of nights (clue: buyers probably not Arabic !)

Off_it reckoned he was staying away from the site today to avoid the mass wrist-slitting when the deal didin't go through. I never believed him. But a few more posts like that, and he could have a point.

I'm logging out, to enjoy a bottle of bubbly and a good supper. Then off to our local church, St Peter & St Paul, for a spot of midnight bell-ringing to see in the Noel. Suggest you do the same, Bedsaddick ( church and the bell-ringing optional, of course !)
  • Options
    this from twitter earlier

@Fake_Murray Dick Murray
    #cafc Just had some knob called @danroan on the phone from the BBC asking about some takeover, them bastards must be on the piss all day.
  • Options
    I'm going to take a leaf out of Incorruptible's book ...... log off and let the loony takeover obsessives get on with their angst.

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I'm going to take a leaf out of Incorruptible's book ...... log off and let the loony takeover obsessives get on with their angst.

Merry Christmas everyone!

You being one of them.........
  • Options
    shock horror ..... why bother mentioning the 24th in the first place

clown shoes the lot of them
  • Options
    And a very Merry Christmas to you too Ooahh.

Don't forget to leave a carrot out.
  • Options
    were a odd club lol
  • Options
    Look these things are long drawn out delicate situations that sometimes dont complete when expected, i am pretty sure if anything wouldve gone wrong then we would know, there are vast summs of money to be transfered it sounds like it is not one person, there are legally binding documents that need scruitnising and signing.

the league needs to ratify certain things and although problems were not anticipated it could be that things have over run. certain things are not to the satisfaction of the buyer or seller 100% and time just ran out

its not as if tomorrow or monday and tuesday are normal working days, people wouldve have been working at this non stop for weeks and they need to be with their families, its not as easy as some make out

relax enjoy chrimbo and get the hump if we put an abject performance on boxing day
  • Options
    Do think it has made them look a bit stupid by saying it will be completed before 24th and then not doing so. To put a date on it you should be very confident of completing by then. It's not like another business you might buy, in football you have thousands of fans following whatever happens every day, day in and day out. In fact I still can't see why they said anything at all. It is still so shrouded in secrecy they may have well have said nothing, completed it say next Wednesday and then announced it to us all. Lost a bit of credibility for me.
  • Options
    I reckon that the new owner is Father Christmas - he probably thought that we were in Australia and got the time zones mixed up - he'll get to us eventually
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    The date always struck me as odd. Why not say "hopefully by the end of the year"? What was so significant about the day before Christmas?

On the other hand most "artificial" deadlines are done to give focus otherwise things just drift along.
  • Options
    i dont remember any date for completion being given large i believe the announcment said hopeful of completion by 24th december.

i think everyone should remember the contract is signed bar due dillegence.

if they have found something that was overly concerning they wouldve pulled out.

they havent pulled out we are close to completion but have not got over the line.

this is the first takeover that we have been involved in where an annoucement has been made on the OS stating we are currently finialising the takeover what in that statement loses credibility. the secrecy thing obviously has come from both parties and it is not even an issue

everyone chill
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]everyone chill

Sound advice NLA and so in character.......;-)
  • Options
    I am sure it's going to work out in everyones best interest's but still a bit disappointing not hearing anything isn't it?
    Anyway, Merry christmas everyone!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i dont remember any date for completion being given large i believe the announcment said hopeful of completion by 24th december.

if they have found something that was overly concerning they wouldve pulled out.

they havent pulled out we are close to completion but have not got over the line.

this is the first takeover that we have been involved in where an annoucement has been made on the OS stating we are currently finialising the takeover what in that statement loses credibility. the secrecy thing obviously has come from both parties and it is not even an issue

everyone chill

I agree with what your saying.

The problem is a lot of us are feeling very tense, excited and nervous about this whole thing. After Zabeel we have learn't not to get too excited but with situations like this it's a massive change for us and I strongly believe this can put us in the right direction. I have a lot of faith in Murray because I am sure he would want to sell it to someone who can give us a promising future.

If we don't go up and if we don't find a buyer, as you know we will struggle to avoid administration. I felt very suprised and delighted that we did not go into administration last summer. Richard Murray has worked his socks off to get where we are today but eventually even Richard would not be able to avoid adminstration in the future and will just sell it to someone who would be able to keep us afloat in the short term then look for another investor which would put us in a right mess.

That is why all of us want this takeover to be completed successfully so it can settle our nerves in the long term but with situations like today when we been expecting an announcement that we have been taken over, we get a statement today that says "Acquisition at 'advanced stage'" so I get the feeling there has been huge problems during this process that could have possibly put off the consortium into buying us.

While we wait for this process to be completed I wish you all fellow Addicks fans a good Christmas :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]everyone chill

Sound advice NLA and so in character.......;-)

must be the festive spirts i have been at :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DiscoCAFC[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i dont remember any date for completion being given large i believe the announcment said hopeful of completion by 24th december.

everyone chill

I agree with what your saying.

The problem is a lot of us are feeling very tense, excited and nervous about this whole thing. After Zabeel we have learn't not to get too excited but with situations like this it's a massive change for us and I strongly believe this can put us in the right direction. I have a lot of faith in Murray because I am sure he would want to sell it to someone who can give us a promising future.

If we don't go up and if we don't find a buyer, as you know we will struggle to avoid administration. I felt very suprised and delighted that we did not go into administration last summer. Richard Murray has worked his socks off to get where we are today but eventually even Richard would not be able to avoid adminstration in the future and will just sell it to someone who would be able to keep us afloat in the short term then look for another investor which would put us in a right mess.

That is why all of us want this takeover to be completed successfully so it can settle our nerves in the long term but with situations like today when we been expecting an announcement that we have been taken over, we get a statement today that says "Acquisition at 'advanced stage'" so I get the feeling there has been huge problems during this process that could have possibly put off the consortium into buying us.

While we wait for this process to be completed I wish you all fellow Addicks fans a good Christmas :-)

i am nervous too i really dont want to think what will happen if this doesnt go through, however for once i really believe that if it had gone titts then we wouldve known by now the fact that we have got to the deadline date and it hasnt gives me optimisum that it is close just in need of a comprimise here and there or a few days more with the league (who may not be working again until weds or solicters doing the same thing)

i might be way off track and it could be sailing down the thames as we speak.

i just think we wouldve known that by now

i get the feeling there is a bit of jockeying for postion and some poker hands being placed but ultimately the deal is agreed it is only the due dillegence they surely wouldnt have still been at the investigation stage that must have been done i reckon its contracts and signatures IMO
  • Options
    I can understand the nerves but I don't see anything negative in saying the 'acquisition is at an advanced stage'. That doesn't indicate any problems to me. Just that they haven't quite managed to get it over the line in time. It's like saying 'we're nearly there'. No cause for concern - but then we are Charlton aren't we? And we know nothing is over til the fat lady sings!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DiscoCAFC[/cite]That is why all of us want this takeover to be completed successfully so it can settle our nerves in the long term but with situations like today when we been expecting an announcement that we have been taken over, we get a statement today that says "Acquisition at 'advanced stage'" so I get the feeling there has been huge problems during this process that could have possibly put off the consortium into buying us.
    Or it could be that one of the parties concerned has been overseas or stuck in the wilds of Scotland, and so hasn't been able to get back to cross all the t's and dot all the i's. (Not saying this from any position of inside knowledge, just reminding that there could be perfectly innocent reasons for a delay)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble

...stuck in the wilds of Scotland

Bloody hell. So Dennis is out on the grouse moors again, is he?