Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dennis wise to be director of football

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
According to todays sunday people dennis wise is to become the new director of football once the takeover has been completed.

Comments

• Options
    Their research largely involves trawling Forums like this looking for gossip. Hey Presto, they have a 'story'
  • Options
    yawn..........................................................................................................................................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]Their research largely involves trawling Forums like this looking for gossip. Hey Presto, they have a 'story'

Exactly, no quotes from anyone, just a few lines that can be found elsewhere on CL and they have an "Exclusive"
  • Options
    Booooring
  • Options
    Has there been any good examples of director of football actually work and be successful?

That's my worry.
  • Options
    It's all very well saying ''yawn'', ''boring'' and ''they made it up''.

But none of us know it isn't true. So just be careful what you say!

My gut instinct is that if Jiminez and Wise are not involved, there would have been a denial from a credible source by now.

All those involved know the animosity of the Charlton faithful to Wise and somebody would surely have dropped a tactical 'don't worry' hint into the right ears.

They haven't and in fact the opposite has happened. The longer this has gone on, one name has grown louder and louder in the swelll of gossip and rumour - Dennis Wise.

Jiminez may very well be involved in the consortium in some way. If he is, an immediate role for his mate Dennis on the footballing side doesn't necessarily follow. But it might.
  • Options
    Hope this bulls*** isnt true, I really do.
  • Options
    I think the problem with denials is that you then have to deny every rumour / name or they are confirmed by default
  • Options
    Inc addick, it's boring because there are umpteen threads on the same subject
  • Options
    What has Dennis Wise ever done to us for so many people to hate the idea of him coming to Charlton?
    Forget the taxi thing , that has nothing to do with him running a club . anyway that was over 16 years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]What has Dennis Wise ever done to us for so many people to hate the idea of him coming to Charlton?
    Forget the taxi thing , that has nothing to do with him running a club . anyway that was over 16 years ago.[/quote]

It's not what he's done to us but what he's done to other clubs.

He walked out on Leeds mid season complaining that he needed a new challenge etc and then became Executive director at Newcastle two days later where he demonstrated a lack of interest in the club, basing himself in London rather than Newcastle, not attending games, selling players without the knowledge or approval of the then manager and then signing players without the aproval or knowledge of the then manager. If showing a disregard for the players, managers and fans is the way he does business then I don't want him anywhere near the club. Someone like that can undo a lot of hard work done by others very quickly. He might have been a decent footballer in his time but there's very little that he's achieved as a manager or director type that suggests he can be equally successful in either the dugout or boardroom and as most of his appointments have been short-term with him leaving in acrimonious circumstances I'd rather he went elsewhere to earn a buck.
  • Options
    but apart from that what has Dennis wise ever done to upset us?....... :)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]but apart from that what has Dennis wise ever done to upset us?....... :)[/quote]

Give him six months in the job and you'll have enough reasons...
  • Options
    i may have missed something over the last few years take over threads. i know wise's name has come up a lot, but what i'm unclear about is his links to charlton? is he a third generation supporter or did he feature in the junior reds under 7's or something, or is he just a powerhouse in football club management that has remained under wraps?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]but apart from that what has Dennis wise ever done to upset us?....... :)

Give him six months in the job and you'll have enough reasons...

whooosh
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]What has Dennis Wise ever done to us for so many people to hate the idea of him coming to Charlton?
    Forget the taxi thing , that has nothing to do with him running a club . anyway that was over 16 years ago.

It's not what he's done to us but what he's done to other clubs.

He walked out on Leeds mid season complaining that he needed a new challenge etc and then became Executive director at Newcastle two days later where he demonstrated a lack of interest in the club, basing himself in London rather than Newcastle, not attending games, selling players without the knowledge or approval of the then manager and then signing players without the aproval or knowledge of the then manager. If showing a disregard for the players, managers and fans is the way he does business then I don't want him anywhere near the club. Someone like that can undo a lot of hard work done by others very quickly. He might have been a decent footballer in his time but there's very little that he's achieved as a manager or director type that suggests he can be equally successful in either the dugout or boardroom and as most of his appointments have been short-term with him leaving in acrimonious circumstances I'd rather he went elsewhere to earn a buck.

TBF to Wise, working with Ashley couldn't have been easy and as he said in a interview, he was paid to take the flak and he did just that, he hasn't once moaned about the things that happened at Newcastle that were out of his control and he didn't once buy any players off of his own back
  • Options
    wasn't wise involved in signing a couple of pony players for newcastle who were playing in the lower leagues of spain or somewhere on 1-2k a week and then they were earning 20k a week with their newcastle contracts but they only received a bit more than their previous salaries and the rest was divvied up elsewhere
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]wasn't wise involved in signing a couple of pony players for newcastle who were playing in the lower leagues of spain or somewhere on 1-2k a week and then they were earning 20k a week with their newcastle contracts but they only received a bit more than their previous salaries and the rest was divvied up elsewhere[/quote]

Exactly. We are looking for people with money to invest in the club. Wise is looking to earn money from football. He hasn't got any money to put in, the Director of Football position doesn't work well in England, and he certainly hasn't made it work. Nobody wants to hire him as a manager either.

So the question is, Beds, why the hell do we need Denis Wise anywhere near our club?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]It's all very well saying ''yawn'', ''boring'' and ''they made it up''.

But none of us know it isn't true. So just be careful what you say!

My gut instinct is that if Jiminez and Wise are not involved, there would have been a denial from a credible source by now.

All those involved know the animosity of the Charlton faithful to Wise and somebody would surely have dropped a tactical 'don't worry' hint into the right ears.

They haven't and in fact the opposite has happened. The longer this has gone on, one name has grown louder and louder in the swelll of gossip and rumour - Dennis Wise.

Jiminez may very well be involved in the consortium in some way. If he is, an immediate role for his mate Dennis on the footballing side doesn't necessarily follow. But it might.

This
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]i may have missed something over the last few years take over threads. i know wise's name has come up a lot, but what i'm unclear about is his links to charlton? is he a third generation supporter or did he feature in the junior reds under 7's or something, or is he just a powerhouse in football club management that has remained under wraps?[/quote]

He doesn't have any previous links to us. As I see it, he's just a cheeky chappie who found himself a rich mate in Jiminez. Jiminez then introduced him to his even richer friends from the middle east. Hey presto here he is looking to buy a football club or rather spend other people's money on buying a football club. IMO he'd be more suited to selling used cars or being a publican than in a top position at our great club.
    If this is true, the only possible benefit that I can see is that the backers are likely to be very rich middle easterners
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not true. Move on.
  • Options
    ah Henry so you have returned

OK everyone if Henry says move on let's do it, it would be unwise not to
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]ah Henry so you have returned

OK everyone if Henry says move on let's do it, it would be unwise not to

So from the absolute certainty expressed above, it seems that finally after four weeks someone has been leaked what's going on, then?
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    So we are back to where we started then. If there have been no leaks, for all we know Jiminez could be involved in the consortium.

A legendary Charlton broadcaster, now retired but who covered the club for 30 years and used to edit the match day prog (so you know who) , told me at the outset he understood that Jiminez was involved.

He also thought that this did not mean a footballing role for Wise. But I don't see how we can know that for certain, can we?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]wasn't wise involved in signing a couple of pony players for newcastle who were playing in the lower leagues of spain or somewhere on 1-2k a week and then they were earning 20k a week with their newcastle contracts but they only received a bit more than their previous salaries and the rest was divvied up elsewhere
    I think a lot of the English press/talk spurt/Kevvie Keegle whining as around this, but did two of them not turn out to be Newcastle's best players (Gutierez and Colluccini) who played for Argentina at national level? I think the minnows that our journalists had barely heard of were Deportivo (the Gallician one) and Valencia.
  • Options
    Can't recall whether this is true but wasnt Wise and Jiminez involved with Zabeel 2 years ago?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Can't recall whether this is true but wasnt Wise and Jiminez involved with Zabeel 2 years ago?

yes they were

but Wise aint involved now
  • Options
    When's your best guess as to when nla ?
  • Options
    Don't really care if Wise is involved or not, as long as the people with the bucks have enough to keep us competitive, bring us back to Championship level away from this awful division and can stabilise the club and protect its long term future.

I don't really have anything against Wise, didn't he learn Italian or something so that he could chat with the likes of Zola when they joined...plus a will to win on the pitch...