Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dennis wise to be director of football

Comments

• Options
    Is this not over yet..
  • Options
    If we were going to the wire on Xmas eve then we should hear something tomorrow. Most people back at work so hopefully all parties can get the unresolved issues sorted out. Thursday latest I heard.
  • Options
    just heard from a reliable source that the deal is to be done tomorrow but owners to remain unanimous dont know how true this is but as i said heard from reliable source
  • Options
    I imagine item 1 when it became clear it wouldn't complete by Christmas Eve (something obviously in contemplation of both the parties judging by PV's quotes on the morning of Christmas Eve) would have been to agree a new long-stop date for the acquisition agreement so I don't think we need to worry about the legally binding nature of the deal now being at risk.

Obviously though, the sooner the better, with both fans and the practicalities of club uncertainty and transfer window considered.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]just heard from a reliable source that the deal is to be done tomorrow but owners to remain unanimous dont know how true this is but as i said heard from reliable source

Owners are to remain unanimous? If I were them I'd remain anonymous.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]just heard from a reliable source that the deal is to be done tomorrow but owners to remain unanimous dont know how true this is but as i said heard from reliable source[/quote]

Owners are to remain unanimous? If I were them I'd remain anonymous.[/quote]

lol i ment to say anonymous
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]just heard from a reliable source that the deal is to be done tomorrow but owners to remain unanimous dont know how true this is but as i said heard from reliable source

Owners are to remain unanimous? If I were them I'd remain anonymous.

But it's a consortium. So if they all agree to put 'x' in the box marked 'no publicity', they will be unanimously anonymous, won't they?
  • Options
    Takeover definition # 47

RELIABLE SOURCE = A voice in ones head,a fallacy,complete tosh.
  • Options
    I just hope that this is sorted asap as we haven't won a league game since the takeover was announced, even if a few have been postponed
  • Options
    Anonymous owners would as far as I am concerned be unacceptable. It's my club and not an hour of any waking day do I not give them a thought. I want to know are they in safe hands and are they in acceptable to me hands. I really hope that this particular reliable source is wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Takeover definition # 47

haha, same for 'the latest I've heard'
  • Options
    I was thinking. If we ate talking about people with big dough they might remain anonymous, to avoid inflated transfer fees etc when trying to buy players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]I was thinking. If we ate talking about people with big dough they might remain anonymous, to avoid inflated transfer fees etc when trying to buy players.

And to avoid every game we play being a cup final for the opposition and their fans.
  • Options
    True carly, I hope our fans recognise this of it does go this way. Hopefully the new owners intentions will become clear during the transfer window.
  • Options
    At this point the anonymity of any new owners is of course hypothetical but that prospect does seem extraordinarily odd to me. In order to remain anonymous surely they would not be able to attend matches otherwise eventually their identity would be discovered. If you own a football team I would want the owners to become emotionally attached to the club and I don't see why you would want to own a football club and for this not to happen unless of course the only reason you bought it was to make a quick buck. I don't want the latter do you ?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Anonymous owners would as far as I am concerned be unacceptable. It's my club and not an hour of any waking day do I not give them a thought. I want to know are they in safe hands and are they in acceptable to me hands. I really hope that this particular reliable source is wrong.

Wow, the new owner is on Charlton Life already, how lucky is that?
  • Options
    the deal will go through tomorrow
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]the deal will go through tomorrow

How do you know the deal will go through tomorrow? If someone has told you this how do you know if this is a windup or not?

I doubt anyone on this forum (Including myself) does not know what is going on behind closed doors except the people that are involved in the takeover and the Charlton board.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DiscoCAFC[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]the deal will go through tomorrow[/quote]

How do you know the deal will go through tomorrow? If someone has told you this how do you know if this is a windup or not?

I doubt anyone on this forum (Including myself) does not know what is going on behind closed doors except the people that are involved in the takeover and the Charlton board.[/quote]

from source however i also have a gut feeling
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DiscoCAFC[/cite]

I doubt anyone on this forum (Including myself) does not know what is going on behind closed doors except the people that are involved in the takeover and the Charlton board.

"From source....."
    Name them or are you a WUM/Troll ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DiscoCAFC[/cite]

I reiterate

• Options
    I just wonder how many on here are throwing out suggestions renaming them as from a reliable source so in the off chance it actually happens they can actually say "I told you so". I believe someone on here actually does know who is involved and when it will happen and are probably quite right in keeping it to themselves. As long as whoever it is has the best intentions of the club at heart and it goes through soon then I really good not give a flying one at the moment.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Look, I have no idea about whether Wise is involved, but I am absolutely sure that if he is, absolutely no good can come of it. Here is why:

1. We need people with money. Wise doesnt have any.
    2. If there is more money, we probably need a CEO. My dog is more qualified than Wise to be a CEO because my dog has at least seen some good ones being interviewed.
    3. If Directors of Football were such a good idea in English football (they may work in other countries), most clubs would have them.
    4. Denis Wise as a Director of Football is a failure anyway. That is why no other club seeks to offer him such a role. That is also why he needs to attach himself to richer people in order to get such a role.
    5. References are always important. Wise's references from two of the most respected people in football Sir Alex Ferguson, and the late Sir Bobby Robson, are dire. It is most unwise to ignore bad references from good people.

I doubt that Tony Jiminez is very rich either, since his money was earned in property in Spain and Dubai.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Look, I have no idea about whether Wise is involved, but I am absolutely sure that if he is, absolutely no good can come of it. Here is why:

1. We need people with money. Wise doesnt have any.
    2. If there is more money, we probably need a CEO. My dog is more qualified than Wise to be a CEO because my dog has at least seen some good ones being interviewed.
    3. If Directors of Football were such a good idea in English football (they may work in other countries), most clubs would have them.
    4. Denis Wise as a Director of Football is a failure anyway. That is why no other club seeks to offer such a role. That is also why he needs to attach himself to richer people in order to get such a role.
    5. References are always important. Wise's references from two of the most respected people in football Sir Alex Ferguson, and the late Sir Bobby Robson, are dire. It is most unwise to ignore bad references from good people.

I doubt that Tony Jiminez is very rich either, since his money was earned in property in Spain and Dubai.

As you say Prague neither of these two have money enough to be involved in any capacity other than as brokers, intermediaries or advisors. That's how I see it anyway. Involvement now doesn't mean that they will have any future role once the deal is complete. Much like Varney is fronting the bid but has stated that he doesn't know if he will be involved later.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Involvement now doesn't mean that they will have any future role once the deal is complete.

Well, the problem is, why are people getting involved if only for the short term? In Peter Varney's case, the question does not need to be asked. In the case Wise and Jiminez, the uncomfortable answer is that they will be earning money as a result of getting involved. They have no other motivation. And then the important question will be, how exactly will they be earning that money, and where does it come from?

Let's hope these questions are just rhetorical...
  • Options
    I drove past a pub called the Wise Man recently...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I drove past a pub called the Wise Man recently...

Well if that isn't proof, I don't know what is.
  • Options

The voice in my head is Pete Tosh, no relation
  • Options
    I think a lot of people on here are going over the top with the 'Wise' factor. Firstly we don't know whether he is involved. Secondly, as has been said before, would his influence be so bad? A quick look through the careers of Wise and Parkinson, as well as Curbs, shows that his managerial record stands up quite favourably. His win ratio is higher. As a player he succeeded more and played consistently at a higher level. Now good players don't always make good managers, but the point is he is an achiever. So I would say that if Wise is involved we should welcome him, find a role for him and see how gets on. He has a history of success and a natural passion for the game. Maybe these are qualities we can use to our advantage.

And a final thing. All those who were abusing Wise for the way he played the game. He was a passionate, hard working player. He was skilful and was essential to all the teams that he played in. I think sometimes a little of the image goes ahead of the true player. He could play.

So I'd welcome him to SE7.
  • Options
    Agreed Dave, he would certainly bring some passion to the club, a quality we are lacking at present.