Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++2010/11 Takeover complete - Owners unknown, Michael Slater and Tony Jimenez fronting+++

Comments

• Options
    Of course Henners it's far better to fawn over the new owners, suck up and kiss their butts and accept their every promise that money will be invested and that everything in the garden is rosy and report back accordingly. However we aren't discussing your tenure as Supporters' Director and I think we need a more rigorous attitude...

Experience suggests that we look at the promises that Hick and Gillett made when they took over Liverpool - that there would be investment, that there would be no loans or debt to buy the club and that ground would be imminently broken on the new Anfield, all of which were broken. Similarly Notts County, Man U, and many other clubs failed to examine the teeth in the gift nag and perhaps we should realise that as fans we'd be wiser to get answers to the ownership question sorted out now, maybe we'll have swapped admin now for admin in a couple of seasons time. Or maybe we just accept our lot like good little fans or in your case as a good little Supporter's Director?

OTOH perhaps you are right, a few soft-soap questions about getting the pot-holes filled in is proper investigative journalism, right?
  • Options
    All very interesting but in practical terms the next four weeks will show us how the land lies, I think.

I tend to agree with others that J&S are not going to let Parkinson spent their money (or someone else's) without running the purchases, informally at least, by someone they know and trust (and we all know who that is). They may even have come with their own list of transfer targets, which they will press upon Parky, although I hope they would give him the chance to say 'no' if he doesn't like them.

If he doesn't like the new set up, we will no doubt know soon enough and he might be off to Preston or elsewhere. I wouldn't blame him if he takes it if he's offered a 2-3 year contract somewhere else because the position he is in with J&S is that he will effectively have to reapply for his current job in May, anyway, and there's no guarantee he will get it at all.

Should he go, J&S will have a plan b and Bexley Dan may well be right - Wise as catetaker until May, whereupon we make our swoop for Poyet.

All speculation. But you can guarantee that J&S have not stumbled into this without all sorts of contingency plans up their sleeves. The next month is going to be fascinating, indeed.
  • Options
    A few points:
    A director of a company does not have to own shares, and whilst he has legal obligations it does not mean that he has any control over what happens.

From all that has been said. It seems likely that there are backers behind MS & TJ, it would be interesting if the interviewer on CL could ask the question.

MS has publicly stated that he will work with PP and provide funds to strengthen the team, so it is doubtful that he will replace PP in the short term.

So let's welcome MS &TJ and see what support they give PP in the January transfer window,but be wary as to the source of their money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Of course Henners it's far better to fawn over the new owners, suck up and kiss their butts and accept their every promise that money will be invested and that everything in the garden is rosy and report back accordingly. However we aren't discussing your tenure as Supporters' Director and I think we need a more rigorous attitude...

Experience suggests that we look at the promises that Hick and Gillett made when they took over Liverpool - that there would be investment, that there would be no loans or debt to buy the club and that ground would be imminently broken on the new Anfield, all of which were broken. Similarly Notts County, Man U, and many other clubs failed to examine the teeth in the gift nag and perhaps we should realise that as fans we'd be wiser to get answers to the ownership question sorted out now, maybe we'll have swapped admin now for admin in a couple of seasons time. Or maybe we just accept our lot like good little fans or in your case as a good little Supporter's Director?

OTOH perhaps you are right, a few soft-soap questions about getting the pot-holes filled in is proper investigative journalism, right?

Fine, as you think I'm not the person to ask the questions then here's an idea

WHY DON'T YOU ASK THEM.

Easy to say what should be done by others and how others aren't up to it but what ARE YOU GOING TO DO YOURSELF?

I've already listed the questions I want asked on here and I've already sent some questions into Charlton Live but WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

So time for some ACTION FROM YOU. And don't try and make this about me or the distant past, it's too important for that.
  • Options
    Ken Bates at Leeds has always refused to disclose who the clubs financial backers are.

The League have not required him to give this information.

It is only necessary for him to be considered a fit and proper person to run a club.
  • Options
    Were Slater and Jimenez at the game yesterday?
  • Options
    I think that you are all wanting too know to much too soon.

Keith peacock said a great an momentous day in our history

Varney said the best interests of the club

I was told the same by someone close to the club

I don't think that muzza would've Hung around if the knowledge of the funds was kept from him he now has the chance to be around and take part in our rebirth.

Everyone should now take a step back give them time to breath you are not going to be told anything that is not currently out there in the public domain

The only way the full knowledge will be known is if one of varney. Muzza. Jimenez. Slater, let it out or if we have someone confident and able to be an inquisitive journo and know where and how to do it.

My opinion based on what a friend has said I'd that they are looking after the interests of a 3rd party who is really minted. Now the pair of them may have stumped up a few quid to be part of it.

The debt has already been spoke of in the 3rd party sense

Forget it for now and watch it with cautious optimism if you want me it is with eager anticipation
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Of course Henners it's far better to fawn over the new owners, suck up and kiss their butts and accept their every promise that money will be invested and that everything in the garden is rosy and report back accordingly. However we aren't discussing your tenure as Supporters' Director and I think we need a more rigorous attitude...

OTOH perhaps you are right, a few soft-soap questions about getting the pot-holes filled in is proper investigative journalism, right?[/quote]

Fine, as you think I'm not the person to ask the questions then here's an idea

WHY DON'T YOU ASK THEM.

Easy to say what should be done by others and how others aren't up to it but what ARE YOU GOING TO DO YOURSELF?

I've already listed the questions I want asked on here and I've already sent some questions into Charlton Live but WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

So time for some ACTION FROM YOU. And don't try and make this about me or the distant past, it's too important for that.[/quote]
    Why are you writing questions when you said it has been pre recorded? In any event, I think you're pissing in the wind. Have a read of nla's post. Think he's got it spot on.
  • Options
    I wrote the questions and sent them in. I then found out, as a result, that the Slater part of the show was pre-recorded.

Press conference tomorrow however.

I agree with NLA up to a point. I too think there are third parties and if so Varney and Murray will know who they are. In that sense they are vouching for them and that is a good sign.

However I would still prefer the new board to 1. Confirm or deny that is the case and 2. if it is say who the people are.

I would reluctantly settle for 1. in the short term but would still like to know 2. in the long term.
  • Options
    TBH I am laughing at some of the comments on here, we are all moaning that we needed a takeover and when it happens everyone moans that we do not know enough. We will be told what they want us to hear, the league and Murray (far more importantly in my opinion) were satisfied so we have to make do with what we have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    I liken some fans' attitudes on here to a couple of tramps in 1930's Chicago depression.
    One gets given a dollar which is enough to keep the wolf from the door for a while.
    His mate is there , barely before the money hits the cap, questioning whether the chap who threw the money in really was the same person who earned the dollar. If, as seems very likely, he wasnt, then why dont we know who it was, how did he earn his cash, what are his intentions, other tramps have received dollars and its come to no good.
    If I was the tramp receiving the dollar I would tell my pal to shut up and allow me to enjoy a brief moment of joy in what is otherwise a miserable and perilous time. He can ask the questions if he really wants to, but cant he leave it a while, or do it without drawing attention away from the event of good cheer.

Talk about pissing on a parade.
  • Options
    The new regime is a butterfly sprung from the chrysalis seated in Switzerland, so we will never easily get to the bottom of where the wellspring of dosh comes from. Perhaps at CL we should collectively fund a private detective/investigative reporter/Prague Addick(he lives near Switzerland) to get to the answers.
    What concerns us all is that Charlton Athletic will survive into the future as a football club playing at the valley.
    One reason for secrecy is that if things don't work out the true owners won't lose face.
    Another reason is not to disclose your hand as we enter the transfer window.
    One reason for the takeover could be that if you buy a division one club, and then sell it as a prem club you make a killing....this would be a pretty good scenario by the way.
    One worry is that the finance doesn't really exist and we have a smoke and mirrors business where money is moved from place to place to buy time and fend off creditors...however the taxman has a way of demanding the unpaid, and bringing matters to a head.
    The big however is that actions will scream the loudest over the next five or six months. Lets see if all the palaver manifests itself as success on the pitch...if it does, and it's not built Leeds-like on a mountain of debt, then we can begin the long road back.
    I hope Peter Varney is on top of things, because his love of Charlton means he would rather have some club rather than no club, and I hope his judgment isn't clouded by his emotional investment.
  • Options
    Been away for a couple of days so only been in touch with people by text or twitter who let me know this had happened ... just had a chance to plough through this thread and bloody hell, it's been laborious.

On balance, I would say that NLA's appoach is the most appropriate. Having also just watched the video interview with Slater on cafc player, I feel pretty relaxed about this so far ... of course he put up all the right sound-bites but there is no doubt that he wants us to succeed and I am sure that the draft plan that the owners will have had will be strengthened and actioned over the next few weeks.

Is there real money behind this? Like others, I believe there is ... and we will find out more in the fullness of time. For now, let's enjoy the fact that we will not go into admin this year.
  • Options
    As i see it we have on board now 2 astute die- hard Charlton fans in Varney and Murray keeping an eye on everything in the best interests of the club. And 2 new faces in Jiminez and Slater who possibly understand and are more adept in the business of modern football more than V & M and have the contacts to make things happen. Add to this the possibility of the latter fronting for wealthy investors/ potential investors and I feel very positive about it all and am a lot more comfortable than if it was just a Man City style out and out takeover.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]I liken some fans' attitudes on here to a couple of tramps in 1930's Chicago depression.
    One gets given a dollar which is enough to keep the wolf from the door for a while.
    His mate is there , barely before the money hits the cap, questioning whether the chap who threw the money in really was the same person who earned the dollar. If, as seems very likely, he wasnt, then why dont we know who it was, how did he earn his cash, what are his intentions, other tramps have received dollars and its come to no good.
    If I was the tramp receiving the dollar I would tell my pal to shut up and allow me to enjoy a brief moment of joy in what is otherwise a miserable and perilous time. He can ask the questions if he really wants to, but cant he leave it a while, or do it without drawing attention away from the event of good cheer.

Lots of notts county fans took this very same approach, bet they wish they hadnt now!!

Nothing wrong with asking questions!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm with NLA quote 398 and agree with CFGS 401 and Floyd Montana 402.
  • Options
    A few folk have commented that it's a great thing that Murray is still involved. I do wonder however, if his involvement is simply a salaried post given to him for a specified time period in lieu of him taking any proper money for his stake in the club. The new guys will tap him for his experience of course, but I suspect that he might be far removed from the real decision making. His involvement might also just be a PR thing to stop us all from worrying too much. (That part hasn't worked well so far!)

As far as the rest of it goes, I don't know any more than anyone else on here but I think that there's no harm in asking questions - the new guys must be aware that supporters of a football club are ALWAYS desperate for information, so I'm sure that they'll have their responses prepared. If there is a hidden benefactor who wants to stay hidden then Slater/Jim will just trot out some well rehearsed statement to allay our fears but keep the truth wherever they want it kept.
  • Options
    from wyn grant's blog:

I think that Kevin Cash may be the man with the cash as far as Charlton is concerned. An Addick has been researching this and I hope to publish the full story tomorrow (right now I am off to ice hockey). If he is involved, he is seriously wealthy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]I liken some fans' attitudes on here to a couple of tramps in 1930's Chicago depression.

Lots of notts county fans took this very same approach, bet they wish they hadnt now!!

Nothing wrong with asking questions!

Indeed, and using the tramp analogy, I would have been asking why there were so many poor people suddenly appearing on the streets. It's really not about 'pissing on a parade', I am as happy as anyone else that the immediacy of administration has gone away. The task now is to ensure that it remains a nightmare memory. Some prefer maybe to sit and wait for answers to be given, others prefer to seek them out. Perhaps we should have two threads, one for the contents and the other for the half contents, then we'll all be happy? :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dylanthedog[/cite]from wyn grant's blog:

I think that Kevin Cash may be the man with the cash as far as Charlton is concerned. An Addick has been researching this and I hope to publish the full story tomorrow (right now I am off to ice hockey). If he is involved, he is seriously wealthy.

well googling does link Kevin Cash to Tony Jimenez, eg. both involved in the start-up of Gateway Films

all conjecture of course
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Kevin Cash:

Kevin Cash, an elusive figure about whom little is known, but who is said to be hugely significant on the London property scene, as well as a major player in the trade of Gulf oil. Through his company Rose Properties

Cash, 46, has been married three times. One of his ex-wives, intriguingly, is Jackie St Clair, who became Simon Cowell’s girlfriend. Cash is reputed to be worth about £500million and his substantial property portfolio includes half of an exclusive row of mews houses close to the Dorchester Hotel in Mayfair, homes in Marbella and Miami and a £16million country estate, North Aston Hall, in Bicester, Oxfordshire. Yet he has never been included on any rich list.

He is involved with a company set up to manage property portfolios for Premiership football stars, including the controversial Chelsea defender John Terry.

‘Cash is probably one of the most powerful people in London today,’ says a source. ‘He handles money for many super-rich businessmen and has managed to make himself more than any of them.’

Despite his enormous wealth, Cash does not appear to have any British-registered companies, but has based his business empire offshore. Rose Properties – which owns his impressive Oxfordshire estate – is registered in the Virgin Islands, where it is neither necessary to file accounts nor name directors.

Gateway Films was established in April 2009 by Terry Stone, Terry Byrne, Tony Jimenez, Graeme Muir, Mike Diamond, Ajay Parkash and Kevin Cash.

He is in partnership with businessman Derek Llambias in the exclusive London club known as The Fifty, where they can all meet discreetly over dinner.

Llambias and Cash are also closely linked in business with Mike Ashley, owner of Newcastle United Football Club and ranked 60th in the 2009 Sunday Times Rich List, with an estimated wealth of £700million.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: dylanthedog[/cite]from wyn grant's blog:

more cash info
  • Options
    Stu:

Notts county got promoted, enjoyed a higher profile and got to watch better players play for their team.

I'd take that...
  • Options
    Rose Properties

Rose Trust

a horticultural coincidence?
  • Options
    Interestingly in Stonemuse's link:

[cite]Posted By: Daily Mail[/cite]Despite his enormous wealth, Cash does not appear to have any British-registered companies, but has based his business empire offshore.

Last week Michelle Young described Cash as being at least as successful as her estranged husband. She said: ‘He is Scot’s best friend and close business associate. They have known each other for the past 20 years.

‘They operated a system, with others in their set, whereby nothing is held in their names in this country, even though they are British citizens and live here permanently.They operate below the radar. Some of them are well-known but others are very secretive men. They help each other make lots of money.’

The plot thickens.... although:
    [cite]Posted By: Daily Mail[/cite]An earlier version of this article stated that Kevin Cash was closely linked in business with the businessmen Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias. In fact neither Mr Ashley nor Mr Llambias has any business link with Mr Cash and say, to the best of their knowledge, they have never met him.
  • Options
    Tony Jimenez has though allez, of that there is little doubt...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]Stu:

Notts county got promoted, enjoyed a higher profile and got to watch better players play for their team.

I'd take that...

Dont get me wrong, I'd love that too, I'm also happy with the takeover and am not going to be spending hours trawling through the Internet searching for details, however other will, my point was that by doing so they are doing nothing wrong and could provide us all with some answers, then again maybe not, either way we'll all be no worse off!
  • Options
    It's going to be alright, I think.

Richard Murray is not just on a salary, he continues to have a stake. He wants to concentrate on maintaining communications with the fans, together with Peter. They see themselves as being the guardians of the club's "soul", which is great news. It could have been sold to the devil, after all.

I think there is more to the new ownership than just messrs Slater and Jiminez, but there is definitely a strategy to keep things low key because otherwise other clubs will smell money and make life difficult. So on that basis we'd probably be doing them a favour if we let the new team bed in, especially in January, and see how it all plays out.

It is not going to be a a dramatic change on the surface. But I was helped to realise something important today. Just being a well run club, organised on sound commercial principles, as Michael Slater described yesterday, will give us a huge advantage over the next 2-5 years, because most of the rest of them are going to hell in a handcart. Not very sexy, but very sound thinking.

It's going to be alright...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]It's going to be alright, I think.

Richard Murray is not just on a salary, he continues to have a stake. He wants to concentrate on maintaining communications with the fans, together with Peter. They see themselves as being the guardians of the club's "soul", which is great news. It could have been sold to the devil, after all.

I think there is more to the new ownership than just messrs Slater and Jiminez, but there is definitely a strategy to keep things low key because otherwise other clubs will smell money and make life difficult. So on that basis we'd probably be doing them a favour if we let the new team bed in, especially in January, and see how it all plays out.

It is not going to be a a dramatic change on the surface. But I was helped to realise something important today. Just being a well run club, organised on sound commercial principles, as Michael Slater described yesterday, will give us a huge advantage over the next 2-5 years, because most of the rest of them are going to hell in a handcart. Not very sexy, but very sound thinking.

Great post.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]It's going to be alright, I think.

... as Michael Slater described yesterday, will give us a huge advantage over the next 2-5 years, because most of the rest of them are going to hell in a handcart. Not very sexy, but very sound thinking.

I think so too.