Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++2010/11 Takeover complete - Owners unknown, Michael Slater and Tony Jimenez fronting+++

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Martomoto[/cite]I couldn't help but notice that Michael Slater said "I think it's well known that the club has significant debts, so clearly THE NEW OWNERS will be responsible for managing those debts," Note this is a third person statement! Wouldn't you have been more likely to say 'WE' or 'WE AS THE NEW OWNERS'? Possible evidence of a conspiracy? Perhaps! Maybe there was someone from Zabeel on the grassy knoll?....
    We picked up on that as well. He also said 'It must be every boys dream to be involved in a football club'. So who are the owners and why have they bought us? Thought Michael Slater came across well though.
  • Options
    Just got a text from a friend staying in the same hotel as the Team. Parky and new "owner" now drinking Champers at his expense. Not the right way to prepare the team for a big game imho ;-)
  • Options
    tony j is the party animal
  • Options
    Yes stilladdicted he did come across very well I thought. Seems to be right on the ball. It may well be that Slater and Jimenez are a just a front for someone bigger but either way the way they've gone about things suggests these guys are no mugs or dreamers. They know what they're about and that has to be a good thing. I think!
  • Options
    Yawn.

This takeover is so last year :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Grapevine49[/cite]We really are a demanding lot - I appreciate the committed football fan’s relationship with their club is very personal but I doubt many of us would make similar demands for information of the companies we work for - some of the inquisition in relation to this takeover borders on paranoia.
    Grapevine, given Notts County's recent experience with mystery backers in a takeover, I don't think it's unreasonable for us to be somewhat concerned about the lack of clarity on who actually owns the club now. That said, Slater isn't making grandiose promises about signing Sol Campbell or whatever, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not convinced of the case that they must have mega-rich backers that are going to throw money at us, and even if they do, I doubt any significant cash will be splashed while we're in League1.

As a domestic analogy - we aren't going to be splashing out on sports cars or probably even a flash new telly, but we know now that we can pay the mortgage and other bills for the forseeable future, and can afford the occasional treat every now and then.
  • Options
    ummm.. feels weird to me seing a northerner with DA8's haircut taking hold of our club.. dispite what has been said wise WILL be somewhere in this deal. hopefully in the same role he had a newcastle in an office in soho scouting world wide talent. despite how hated he was at newcastle you cant knock the signings he did for the guttierez and centre back with the fro all top players who the geordie faithful forget wouldnt have got if it was not for wise. if wise is somehwere around Poyet would be a massive shout and i think would be just what we need, he knows the club due to his son's envolvment a possible link up with chelski with decent young talent comming on loan. personally feel like when curbs left hard to imagine anyone else being in the dugout than sir alan. head says yes heart says no. happy new year all.
  • Options
    Hi all. I just joined up on here after seeing Michael Slater on Sky Sports News. I nearly spat out my expensive new year bubbly when I saw him on telly as I recognised him as a member of Didsbury Blues, which is my branch of MCFC official supporters club. I wasn't 100% it was the same guy but posts on here seem to confirm he's a City fan.

Unfortunately I have no gossip for you yet as I've never spoken directly to him. If he's minted he keeps it under wraps, and sadly I haven't seen him mingling with any emirati types. We're quite a small branch though and I've seen him numerous times in The Nelson pub (we run a coach to all the games from there, I'm not implying he's a lush) so perhaps others will know something more about him when I see them for the Blackpool game tomorrow. I'm assuming Mr Slater himself will be at Colchester with you lot. At least I'd like to think so!

Happy New Year to you all anyway. Always enjoyed my trips to The Valley in what now seems like a former life (pre-lottery win) after what has happened to us recently. Hope these guys bring you success.
  • Options
    Thanks and welcome Reg.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Yawn.

Now THAT is funny haha
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at work yesterday until 8 pm last night in a warehouse with no outside media connections (not allowed by the management) so I didnt know what had happened, but now having read this thread this morning I can say that, for now, I'm happy the takeover has happened (the alternative didnt bear thinking about) and I look forward to a period of stability off the pitch and hopefully success on it.
    Whether Slater/Jimenez are fronting or not, at least we have a future which some other clubs may not have (Plymouth for example) and we can look forward to seeing what the new owners can bring to the party. For now we perhaps should accept that all our questions may not be answered..........lets just enjoy the next ride we are going to go on, and hopefully see this great club of ours moving upwards again.
  • Options
    A lot of people on here seem to be relieved that these two individuals have at last taken over the club, 'on behalf' of some business consortium.
    Agreed that Chairman Murray wanted out, and that he could not be expected to carry on the burden of debt alone. , do not blame or have an issue there, and these guys probably are what we were gonna get. But, and of course there always is a but, why the mystery!.

Front men are always a difficulty in doing business with, even if they have executive powers!.

As of yet, quite why Charlton! , and what is there connection to Charlton!.

There association with Newcastle seems at best open to argument ( if you ask the supporters) and with figures like Wise I am very unsure about this individual!

I am a 'half empty' man by nature so see the glass as that I am afraid.

But like the rest of us have to wait and see what 'comes out' ( if anything) and the events of the next few weeks will be interesting, if nothing else!.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Yawn.

nice ;-)
  • Options
    Don't ever let anyone tell you that spending too long on internet message boards can make you paranoid.
  • Options
    I think that keeping it all on the low down will only benefit the club in business proceedings, We wont be seen as the new Man city and therefore prices will not be hiked up just because we are perceived to be rolling in it.

Security assured, we can rest easy now, knowing we will be around for a very long time, as there are clubs that could only wish they could say that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Think .. why does Mandarich continually buy only skint clubs? .. tax reasons.

Well, that's probably not the best model that you could have picked to illustrate the point, now, is it...
    [cite]Posted By: Regular Joe MCFC[/cite]Hi all. I just joined up on here after seeing Michael Slater on Sky Sports News. I nearly spat out my expensive new year bubbly when I saw him on telly as I recognised him as a member of Didsbury Blues, which is my branch of MCFC official supporters club. I wasn't 100% it was the same guy but posts on here seem to confirm he's a City fan.

Football fans are great.
  • Options
    I picked up on the "new owners will sort the debt"

Deffo a 3rd party in this and really rather exciting.

Maybe he's being coy about wealth so as not to inflate prices too much

Would be delighted to see Austin and maybe some young Premiership fringe players
  • Options
    This is like a jigsaw puzzzle and more pieces are falling into place now.

If Poyet was available and our job was vacant I suspect he would be a major contender to take over.A Poyet / Wise combo would be much more acceptable to most fans than Dennis the menace alone.

Poyet is not available and Brighton in a new stadium have much more potential than if they were remaining at the Withdean . I don't think he would be tempted.Brighton also have serious money as the Craig Noone purchase has shown.

Which leaves us with Parky . I have never moved from the lets give him until the end of the season and then take stock camp. To replace him now would be foolish as it could derail our promotion bid . Lets give him some money in the window and see where it leads us. If the Preston rumours are true and he leaves then lets have the debate then.

Steve Brown did say the other night that whoever was the Manager would get time to build their own set up and that he was not sure whether or not that would be Parky .
  • Options
    Sure I'm going to repeat a lot of what has been said. To many comments to read.

I'm really happy the club has new owners and the threat of admin has been gone. Murray has made up for any errors over the last few years. I'm glad Slater has said the club will be run on a commercial basis and within our financial means. I hope we revert back to the policy of Curbs early years - gradually building a side and only adding players sensibly to improve the team - when we deviated from that plan it put the future of the club in doubt.

So my wishes for the new year. Give Parky a chance - at the very least til the end of the season. Only buy players who are within our budget (and only if they can add value to the club).

I now feel the pressure that we MUST go up this year has been relieved and perhaps we can all relax a little and just enjoy being cafc.
  • Options
    So let me get this straight....

Addicks legend Steve Brown assists Gus Poyet (by far the best manager in this league) and seemed to know all about the takeover.
    Gus Poyet is best mates with Tony Jimenez who is a key figure in new ownership at the Valley.
    Gus Poyet's son is a Charlton junior player.
    Tony Jimanez is a premier league Del Boy who lives in Kent close to SE7.
    Richard Murray is kept on as a key part of the team and Kavanagh and Varney return to former roles.

This is'nt a take-over, its a love in.

I predict Dennis Wise to be announced as club mascot with Lord Curbs as Director of Football and Derek Hales as coach to the strikers.

And no prizes for guessing our new manager if Parky does'nt do the business this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Parky does get replaced by Gus Poyet then at least he and Jimenez can car pool to work.

The new CAFC - green and environmentally friendly.

I'm pleased that the takeover has gone through, but I'd like to know who's money is behind it and whether the club is being saddled with debt. I don't want to put a dampener on things but it may be that we are moving from debt crisis to another, and postponing problems rtaher than cancelling them.
  • Options
    Jiminez has I'm sure seen a lot of football matches and Slater is a football fan but not a Charlton fan. I assume both will be at Colchester today. God only knows what they both will think of the shite style of football we are currently playing although I suppose Dennis briefed them on that. My real concern is that the new owners see PP as the future because I certainly don't.
  • Options
    I am worried tbh, Slater made his money from propertys, what will he try to do to us?
  • Options
    Jimenez connections make interesting reading and as has been said above if we can use them to the better of the club and to make us a bit more savvy then so much the better. Slater's comments about being "involved" with a club and "the owners" does not nec mean big money behind us as I am pretty sure I read that Jimenez is the owner of the Offshore company that has bought us, hence Slater is only "involved" etc with Jimenez the main man.

We are now definately in no worse situation than we were, which sadly was heading for administration fast, so anything better than that is a definate upside.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Jiminez has I'm sure seen a lot of football matches and Slater is a football fan but not a Charlton fan. I assume both will be at Colchester today. God only knows what they both will think of the shite style of football we are currently playing although I suppose Dennis briefed them on that. My real concern is that the new owners see PP as the future because I certainly don't.

You don't say!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ciro9991[/cite]I am worried tbh, Slater made his money from propertys, what will he try to do to us?[/quote]

Short-term there isn't much he can do - if he wanted to move Charlton to a new stadium it would take several years to find a new location, get planning permission, then to build on it and move in. If that was the case we'd stay in the LB Greenwich, as I can't believe the LBG would allow us to move out of the borough again (not after last time) and if they did then to re-develop the Valley would take a change of license which wouldn't automatically be approved unless we were staying local. If he's thinking of ground sharing then I hope that Muzzer has reminded him what happened last time.

Being a property man he might want to re-develop the training ground and there could be something in the plans that were suggested a while back to buy and develop a site in Kent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Jiminez has I'm sure seen a lot of football matches and Slater is a football fan but not a Charlton fan. I assume both will be at Colchester today. God only knows what they both will think of the shite style of football we are currently playing although I suppose Dennis briefed them on that. My real concern is that the new owners see PP as the future because I certainly don't.

You don't say!

Thought I just did.
  • Options
    I don't normaly suffer from paranoia but Slater did resemble Jordan in someways...I think we should keep a watch on any signs of orange!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

You don't say!

Thought I just did.

Yes, a few times now I think!
    ;o)
  • Options
    gus poyet wont replace parkinson if he does go to preston, brighton are going places charlton at the moment arnt they are moving into a new stadium and they have a better following