Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++2010/11 Takeover complete - Owners unknown, Michael Slater and Tony Jimenez fronting+++

Comments

• Options
    Good if they are covering for someone wealthy

Was Jiminez at the Valley today?
  • Options
    It's summed up for me as follows:

If we don't go up this season we won't go bust. If we don't go up this season we are unlikely to be forced into sales of players, wholesale redunduncies, closing the academy, closing the west upper and north stand quadrants.

They'll be some player movement in this January.

That'll do for me.
  • Options
    We don't know much at all. Presumably we'll find out more over the coming days/weeks/months.

The fact that they haven't said 'we're going to spend loads in January either means:
    a) we don't have loads to spend
    b) we don't want other clubs to think we have loads to spend, because prices will go up.

With PV, RM and SK involved, how can anyone be disheartened right now? We must now be a lot further from administration.

If this takeover 'only' means we can afford to renew contracts of players like Semedo, instead of flogging off every saleable asset and high-earner, then that would be a big step in the right direction. Anything else is a bonus.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    anything else will be a bonus but i keep thinking we have hit the JACKPOT !!!
    £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
  • Options
    I said a few days ago that announcing we are being taken over by a multi billionaire would only result in every other club in this league gunning for us at every oppurtunity.
    We would be scalp number one for all of them.The media would be on our backs more than ever before.We would never get out.
    A pretty low profile takeover and as it stands we are safe and secure.We can now concentrate on moving up and out.COYR's!!
  • Options
    has anyone got a link to the interview on sky?
  • Options
    When are we buying Jonjo back?
  • Options
    bent, parker and turner anyone?
  • Options
    Why have the investor group bought into this club? Financial investors in the 21st century are only interested in short term gain. Getting Charlton back into the Premiership is a long term goal so what is the short term attraction of this deal?
  • Options
    My guess is that TJ, MS and RM are minor shareholders. The bulk of the shareholding perhaps from abroad hence the new company set up in Switzerland ie for secret transfer of funds. I still think Zabeel are behind all this but don't want any publicity. Offer for club was made on the same day as Qatar winning WC bid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]Why have the investor group bought into this club? Financial investors in the 21st century are only interested in short term gain. Getting Charlton back into the Premiership is a long term goal so what is the short term attraction of this deal?

lot of assumptions there.

Are all financial investors only interested in short term gain?

Is getting back to the prem long term?

Interest rates are very low right now so maybe for a small initial investment (£2) they can see potential for a sale or income in the top flight and break even in the Championship.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Not necessarily. With the right management and sensible investment in players, no reason why it cannot be acheived in two or three seasons.

Take a look at the Championship table as we enter the New Year. Two of last season's div three teams sitting very handily in play-off places...
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]Getting Charlton back into the Premiership is a long term goal so what is the short term attraction of this deal?

Good question. But the answer can still be positive. The cost of buying Charlton can be a lot less than buying another club, if you believe that the premiership is an achievable goal in five years. Looking at the three promoted clubs last year, that does not seem a silly idea. And if you have a Prem club in South East London, that is itself more profitable than having a Prem club in Tees-side for example.

Of course if it starts to involve profit on the sale of property, that's a different matter. That's why I'll be keeping a close eye on Jiminez, he has made money on property. One of the ten million Brits who thinks of himself as a "property developer". But if he is there to represent people he's met in Dubai, and gets some kind of cut for bringing their investment in, then fair enough.
    edit:
    (see Henry and Incorruptible made many of these comments before I finished:-))
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]Why have the investor group bought into this club? Financial investors in the 21st century are only interested in short term gain. Getting Charlton back into the Premiership is a long term goal so what is the short term attraction of this deal?

Thats rubbish, 10 yrs ago they talked about serious returns after 5yrs, now all all returns are talked about after 10yrs+
  • Options
    If we take things on face value, I wonder what the difference bewteen MS/TJ's bid to that of Seb Sainsbury, surely MS/TJ havent got as much financial clout between them than Sainsbury?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I am very happy that finally it has all gone through, it seems like an eternity of waiting but I am happy to welcome Michael Slater and Tony Jiminez aboard and hope they can take our great club forward, I had mentally prepared for the whole thing going boobs up (it is us we are talking about after all) so anything positive is a bonus.
    In summing up then: Would it be fair to assume Slater and Jiminez are mere fronts for the real money or are they the biggest investors in the club? I can definately see the benefit in keeping it all under the radar as many clubs would attempt to fleece us if they thought we had real big money.I hope this finally marks the start of Charlton Athletic's return to a decent level, I am very glad that RM and PV are involved too. COYR!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    PictureID=231782701011

Slater and Charlton
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The way I read this article in the Newsshopper, there isn't some mystery group behind Slater and Jiminez, those two ARE the new owners:

'MICHAEL Slater is the new chairman of Charlton Athletic after successfully completing a takeover of the Addicks this afternoon.

The lawyer and businessman, 44, joined forces with international property developer Tony Jiminez to set up a company called CAFC Holdings Limited (CAFCH) to purchase the Addicks from Richard Murray.'

Quote from Slatty “As the new owners, we are both football fans and businessmen."

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/football/charlton/8765410.Slater_completes_Valley_takeover/?

Sounds much more plausible than the idea that Zabeel (or anybody else) are secretly pulling the strings and preparing to pump gazillions in.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Interest rates are very low right now so maybe for a small initial investment (£2) they can see potential for a sale or income in the top flight and break even in the Championship.

We can easily identify the club negatives:

1) Pile of debt
    2) Stuck in Division 3
    3) Possibly 5 years before we get back into the Premiership
    4) Average team/average manager

The investors are not life long Charlton supporters...they are financial ambitious businessmen. The question that needs to be answered is what is the deal sweetener?
  • Options
    the fact remains that jimbo is a mr fix it, and he tried to buy the club for the dubai royal family in 2008,(zabeal investments )

why should anyone think that anything has changed ? as for slates, he is a high powered lawer,and probably a good type of bloke to watch over your investment.

and if you had billions in the bank you would probably enjoy having a football club close to the west end, where better ?
    i think we are going to see the dubai royal family at the valley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Everyone happier now? All of the rumour, counter-rumour and speculation all put to bed now?

No? Ah well, that figures.
  • Options
    Hmm..my guess is that Jiminez and Slater have taken us over because they are confident we can get promoted, build on that and then flog the club for a decent profit in five years time. It is what Gold and Sullivan did at brum and were planning to do with us before they took on the basket case that is WHU. If we stay where we are, then S & J will lose 5 million plus each year so I think we can expect some investment. Should be exciting times. Think we should put to bed all this secret owners talk. It's not going to get us anywhere. Probably cobblers anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: raymondao[/cite]the fact remains that jimbo is a mr fix it, and he tried to buy the club for the dubai royal family in 2008,(zabeal investments )

why should anyone think that anything has changed ? as for slates, he is a high powered lawer,and probably a good type of bloke to watch over your investment.

and if you had billions in the bank you would probably enjoy having a football club close to the west end, where better ?
    i think we are going to see the dubai royal family at the valley

It still doesnt explain the secrecy if it is Zabeel they wont be to concerned by the fact we may pay a little over the odds for players?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Everyone happier now?

No? Ah well, that figures.[/quote]

I am- I'll take this lot positively and judge them in 12 months time.
  • Options
    Bloody hell. Been down the pub for a few hours and missed all this. Switched on ssn expecting something....

Ferguson recalls 2 loan players
    Noone signs for Brighton
    Palace vs. Wall a sell out
    Now got a interview with the worlds best golfer... and he's white...

I've drunk to much
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Full Metal Addick[/cite]

We can easily identify the club negatives:

1) Pile of debt
    2) Stuck in Division 3
    3) Possibly 5 years before we get back into the Premiership
    4) Average team/average manager

The investors are not life long Charlton supporters...they are financial ambitious businessmen. The question that needs to be answered is what is the deal sweetener?

The deal sweetener is pretty obvious. We cost £2 (two pounds) or there abouts.

The debt isn't as bad as a lot of other clubs and is staggered ie a mortgage and a deferred payment.

The rest is very subjective "stuck" "average" "possibly". your opinion maybe not maybe not theirs.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    A few people have made reference to new owners paying off debts. I think this is a bit of a misunderstanding of the club's position - as far as I know the main liabilities are those to the former directors, which only fall due if the club reaches the PL again, and the mortgage on the north stand. It would make no sense to pay either off, unless you had to do so.

The reason investment is needed is because the club cannot pay its way in League One and cannot cut its costs to a point where it would break even. It needs someone to give it the financial clout to move forward and to compete when it regains Championship status. If and when it returns to the PL then there is an opportunity for the owners. Obviously if you can buy a PL club while it is in League One then you are likely to do well.

It's far too early to know what today's news means in the long term. People can be on the board and have no influence whatsoever, as was the case in the recent past, but you can and should cling on to Varney's involvement as executive vice chair as an encouraging sign. I think the chances of us escaping this godforesaken division in short order have increased dramatically and if nothing else I am delighted about that.
  • Options
    lol

somethings not right here..... Charltonlife hasn't crashed!!!

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Everyone happier now? All of the rumour, counter-rumour and speculation all put to bed now?

No? Ah well, that figures.

I'm very happy but still questions to be answered. But for now I am very happy.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    but if you think about it they probably dont want to be publicly surporting a lower league club, and would like to have a big successful club in london to compliment their status, so want to be private for the time being