Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++2010/11 Takeover complete - Owners unknown, Michael Slater and Tony Jimenez fronting+++

Comments

• They have simply taken on the debt, not paid any money for the Club.

We are no further forward, there is no injection of funds, visible or promised.

Sit down with Phil and see what he needs............ is meaningless.

KEEP CALM
    CARRY ON
  • Jimenez was the person behind Zabeel's interest, so they could well be fronting it via Switzerland
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Deal was worth £50m apparently...
    Sure you're not reading about the attempt a couple of years ago?

I've just received a e-mail from a friend, who may or may not be in the loop.

He thinks that there is Dubai money in the background, and that Jimenez and Michael Slater are merely the front men.
    Interesting. If there is, it seems they'll keep quiet about it. Easier to buy players if clubs don't think you have millions to spend.
  • Encouraged by Slater's appearance on SSN.

Even if he was going to spend a lot of cash, he wouldn't advertise the fact, so I think he is right not to talk things up too much.

The underlying tone is very positive though...time to celebrate!
  • Exactly, the thread needs changing. We're still completely unaware as to who "owns" us, we just know who is running us.
  • May I be first to ask Mr Slater to sort out the potholes in the car park.

Oi, Slater, sort it out!
  • Gotta ask the question why the big hush hush if, no disrespect its just these 2?
  • [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]They have simply taken on the debt, not paid any money for the Club.

KEEP CALM
    CARRY ON
    Really?????????? where does it state this
  • We going to want to win tomorrow for these new owners now.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

He thinks that there is Dubai money in the background, and that Jimenez and Michael Slater are merely the front men.

It does read like they're front men to me

I don't know either, I'm merely forwarding something which may or may not be accurate. If the money involved in the takeover - allegedly ca £50m is also accurate then you have to wonder where Jimenez and Slater got that kind of cash and still have extra money to invest in the team/pay bills going forward etc.

Possibly the money could be all theirs, on the otherhand it could be partly their money and partly borrowed, or they are representing an investor somewhere. Interesting that my contact mentioned Dubai money without any prompting. He's not a Charlton fan or particularly interested in football.
  • Sponsored links:

• The financial future of our club is secure and that is all that matters, so I for one will be giving it extra large tonight when I celebrate the new year.

The details will emerge in time, but for now, let's just be positive!
  • Harry Gregory on previous page:

Didn't Slater say that they would have to discuss things with the new owners?

Errm excuse me, did Mr Slater really say that? I am waiting for SSN to play the interview to verify, but on the face of it we have no idea who the new owners are. If the debt has simply been transferred it could be anybody couldn't it? I want to know if there is security or any money behind all this....BUT I agree that the club should live within it's means.
    Still a bit confused here in Lee
  • Good interview with Slats on SSN. Sounded optimistic without underestimating what lies ahead. Personally I'm kind of glad it's not a big money bling bling type takeover - that's just not the Charlton way. Success earnt through hardwork and in an understated way - that's what I hope this will lead to.

Sounds like, initially, most of their investment will be spent servicing the debt and covering our operating losses. Some money will be spent on the team to try and get on a level where the operating losses reduce/disappear asap but I don't expect 11 new players to be signing in Jan.

All for the better, imo. Lets hope they can live up to it.
  • Dubai money - what Dubai money - the country was recently bailed out by its big brother Abu Dhabi...suggesting they are the money behind any deal is as realistic as it being the Irish Government throwing a few million to some far flung football team in another country.

Happy the take over is done and we can hopefully move onwards and upwards...will be interesting to see what happens in January.
  • 2 points from me:

1) I agree with VG on the previous page... spending "millions" in this division doesn't necessarily "buy" the league. Southampton in one and a half seasons have still not topped the league and have spent £3-4M and have one of the highest wage bills. Look at Brighton - fantastic signing today under the radar by them - Craig Noone from Plymouth, c. £250k

2) I am inclined to believe, on my own initiative, that TJ and MS are being assisted from behind the scenes
  • ....mind you two very encouraging words:

Peter Varney
  • CAFC twitter says more on the OS soon.
  • I agree with Exiled Addick completely.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Dubai money - what Dubai money - the country was recently bailed out by its big brother Abu Dhabi...suggesting they are the money behind any deal is as realistic as it being the Irish Government throwing a few million to some far flung football team in another country.

Happy the take over is done and we can hopefully move onwards and upwards...will be interesting to see what happens in January.

There are plenty of rich people in Dubai who despite their recent problems are still extremely wealthy - it doesn't necessarily follow that every Dubai based businessman/investor is related to the royal family.

I'll keep an open mind until we find out if Jimenez and Slater are using their money, are leveraging the club against future income ala Man U and Liverpool or are representing a third party who may or may not be Arabic.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]

It does read like they're front men to me

I don't know either, I'm merely forwarding something which may or may not be accurate. If the money involved in the takeover - allegedly ca £50m is also accurate then you have to wonder where Jimenez and Slater got that kind of cash and still have extra money to invest in the team/pay bills going forward etc.

Possibly the money could be all theirs, on the otherhand it could be partly their money and partly borrowed, or they are representing an investor somewhere. Interesting that my contact mentioned Dubai money without any prompting. He's not a Charlton fan or particularly interested in football.

That might explain the video conference call and we've known that it is a group of investors, two people hardly constitute a group!
  • There used to be an asset stripper called Slater. It's not him is it?
    Anyway he presented well on SSN.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]They have simply taken on the debt, not paid any money for the Club.

KEEP CALM
    CARRY ON
    Really?????????? where does it state this

Slater said it in the SSN interview.
    When asked how much he had paid for the club, he replied more or less...... " there was no consideration, everybody knows there is a fair amount of debt at the club"
  • January will be a important month for these new owners, lets see what happens.
  • just watched sky interview again and he definitetly said "the new owners"
  • To be fair he's not going to give it the "We've got £5 million to spend on half a dozen Championship quality players and we're 100% locked-on to get promotion"

He also referenced "buying into the club"
  • he actuall said its a thrill to be involved with a football club, shouldn't he have said "own" a club ?
  • Posted this elsewhere but been told to stick it here...

Totally underwhelmed by this. This has to be the most boring takeover in history. For all the excitement every other club gets, aspirations of grandeur we get a statement from the new owners that reads, 'We will always live within our means' and 'Our plan for Charlton is to run the club on a sensible financial footing'. Yawn.

I wanted a Texan oil baron like JR from Dallas riding into The Valley on the back of a horse.

I wanted a choreographed dance troupe in full swing throwing dollar bills around like confetti.

I wanted helicopter gunships.

I wanted big money.

Except all we get is the footballing equivalent of a Morrissey album.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Dubai money - what Dubai money - the country was recently bailed out by its big brother Abu Dhabi...suggesting they are the money behind any deal is as realistic as it being the Irish Government throwing a few million to some far flung football team in another country.

There are plenty of rich people in Dubai who despite their recent problems are still extremely wealthy - it doesn't necessarily follow that every Dubai based businessman/investor is related to the royal family.

I'll keep an open mind until we find out if Jimenez and Slater are using their money, are leveraging the club against future income ala Man U and Liverpool or are representing a third party who may or may not be Arabic.

Fair comment - I guess I meant Zabeel rather than Dubai.
  • I have got my hopes on big money investors in the background, I for one wouldn't be too offended by a massive injection of lolly