Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is up with Chelsea?

Comments

• Options
    Anyone seen the big banner of Ancelotti and Abramovich Out, shown on SSN I am guessing at the training ground. Some of these fans are clueless.

Would love to see Abramovich bail out and they do a Leeds. Then we will see how many real fans there are.

Looked into getting some tickets for Chelsea and the cheapest Adult ticket was £52 quid- what a joke!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]was speaking to a Chelski fan today. Roman has stopped investing in players, they used to have 2 top quality players for every position and now they have unheard of players on the bench. Abramovich will be wrapped up in the Russia world cup for the next few years and wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.

I can't be bothered to paste the facts. but I think it is all to do with the fact that to get into The Champions League at some future point, you have to be profitable.

Therefore, if that is correct he & others can't just go pumping untold money in any longer to buy success in Europe.

Doesn't explain the recent results, but may explain why Abrom is not pumping in money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]was speaking to a Chelski fan today. Roman has stopped investing in players, they used to have 2 top quality players for every position and now they have unheard of players on the bench. Abramovich will be wrapped up in the Russia world cup for the next few years and wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.

I can't be bothered to paste the facts. but I think it is all to do with the fact that to get into The Champions League at some future point, you have to be profitable.

Therefore, if that is correct he & others can't just go pumping untold money in any longer to buy success in Europe.

Doesn't explain the recent results, but may explain why Abrom is not pumping in money.

Is that rule set in stone? I've never heard it before, although makes a bit of sense. Don't explain why players sold, released and injured are not being replaced though.
  • Options
    I think he will pull the rug from under Chelsea in the near future, the World Cup will be his new toy,hopefully they will revert to how they were before a crap team with no money!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sadiejane1981[/cite]

Is that rule set in stone? I've never heard it before, although makes a bit of sense. Don't explain why players sold, released and injured are not being replaced though.

I think Covered End is referring to UEFA's financial fair play initiative which comes into effect in 2013/14.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sadiejane1981[/cite]

I think Covered End is referring toUEFA's financial fair play initiativewhich comes into effect in 2013/14.

so surely in the 2 and a half seasons they have until then they would/ should be building and spending as much as they can get away with. As they are not I assume Ellisaddick is right!

[cite]Posted By: ellisaddick[/cite]I think he will pull the rug from under Chelsea in the near future, the World Cup will be his new toy,hopefully they will revert to how they were before a crap team with no money!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Fair play criteria will become mandatory from the beginning of the 2013/14, when the Club Financial Control Panel can start pronouncing sanctions against clubs based on financial statements from the 2011/12 and 2012/13 reporting periods"

I don't pretend to understand this & don't really care at this moment in time, but if they are going to begin imposing sanctions based on the year starting 2011/12, that sounds like next season to me, so they need to be breaking even by the start of next season ?

Probably wrong, but that's how it reads to me.

So only Arsenal will survive and all the others will go into administration & Charlton will be in The Champions League within a few years - Tee hee .
  • Options
    If that is the case how can Man City pass the criteria
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ellisaddick[/cite]If that is the case how can Man City pass the criteria

That's the whole point only Arsenal make a profit I think. The rest will all need to change.
  • Options
    Hence Man City about to spend another £27m not counting wages?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're getting old? Well think about it...you could argue that there is a spine to the England team that's basically Chelsea: Lampard, Terry, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole and England were woeful in the world cup.

I thought they signed some promising players a few years back; Deco I really liked but he never seemed to click and then they were gone with no replacements.

I've never really rated Lampard over the years - kind of a prozone proplus player - some say that Chelsea have underperformed during his long absence - but they started the season with a bang without him and now he's back he hasn't done much yet. Sorry Frank.

Maybe it's just old age - a lot of those players have been around for years and they're coming to the end of it, coupled with no managerial stability, and you get the impression that managers don't really do much, the players seem to decide what's what like some kind of overpaid union. I kind of felt - no evidence - thatthe players didn't like Phil Scollari and didn't put the shift in until he left?

You could argue that they kyboshed Capello, too. Terry and David James(Yeah I know he isn't Chelsea) rebelling, knowing what's the best, a bit like the French. Hmmm Annelka's part of the French set up, too.
  • Options
    To answer the original question, and to quote Barry Davies,

Frankly, who cares?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am really with Off_it on this one but to answer the original question, I do not think it is just down to the removal of Munchkins. In my view it goes back to Ambramovitch believing that somehow the "I buy" approach was ever going to achieve over a team building ethic.

In Mourinho he had the perfect manager - MANAGER. That means somebody who marshalls the resources available to him to achieve the greatest result. Mourinho knew what made a team tick, he didn't need too many fancy Dans like Ballack and Shevchenko. He built upon Ranieri's foundations, brought in Drogba and Essien and few others and fashioned an awesome team.

It seems though that the owner wanted certain stellar names rather than leaving it to the manager to decide on who he needs. They spent a fortune but not necessarily on the right players.

Since his departure, the team has been relatively successful domestically but the cracks have emerged. Their success in the last couple of years has come at a time when Arsenal have not been at their best, Manure have been in transition, Liverpool have lost the plot, Spurs are still on the way up and Citeh haven't hitherto gelled.

I think in Ancellotti they have a decent manager but he has taken over at a time when the squad did need freshening up with the right players but it coincided with Ambramovitch stopping spending money like it was going out of fashion. Indeed I wonder whether he is bored with his play thing.

Their demise may be temporary. The right players coming in this window may boost their season, but the shine has definitely gone. Wilkins sacking is a symptom of a wider malaise rather than the cause of it in my view.
  • Options
    They beat Ipswich 7-0 today. I know it is only Ipswich (Championship strugglers) and I know it is the FA Cup and not the League. However, I seem to remember Abramovich telling one or more of his new managers not to dismiss the FA Cup. Perhaps they have decided to concentrate on that domestically, particularly since the League seems to be slipping from their grasp. That would then allow them to also put effort into the European Cup. Incidentally, Lampard and Sturridge both scored two each today.
    I do agree that they need to bring in new and younger blood. Perhaps we will see a clear out of the ranks in the summer?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I am really with Off_it on this one but to answer the original question, I do not think it is just down to the removal of Munchkins. In my view it goes back to Ambramovitch believing that somehow the "I buy" approach was ever going to achieve over a team building ethic.

In Mourinho he had the perfect manager - MANAGER. That means somebody who marshalls the resources available to him to achieve the greatest result. Mourinho knew what made a team tick, he didn't need too many fancy Dans like Ballack and Shevchenko. He built upon Ranieri's foundations, brought in Drogba and Essien and few others and fashioned an awesome team.

It seems though that the owner wanted certain stellar names rather than leaving it to the manager to decide on who he needs. They spent a fortune but not necessarily on the right players.

Since his departure, the team has been relatively successful domestically but the cracks have emerged. Their success in the last couple of years has come at a time when Arsenal have not been at their best, Manure have been in transition, Liverpool have lost the plot, Spurs are still on the way up and Citeh haven't hitherto gelled.

I think in Ancellotti they have a decent manager but he has taken over at a time when the squad did need freshening up with the right players but it coincided with Ambramovitch stopping spending money like it was going out of fashion. Indeed I wonder whether he is bored with his play thing.

Their demise may be temporary. The right players coming in this window may boost their season, but the shine has definitely gone. Wilkins sacking is a symptom of a wider malaise rather than the cause of it in my view.

Great post, Bing.

The view amongst those in the know is that Abramovich wants to be seen as the ultimate reason for Chelsea's success, he apparently really did not like Mourinho getting God-like status from the fans and that is why Mourinho fell out of favour.

Abramovich wants to be seen as the undisputed, sole power at the club and nobody or nothing is allowed to challenge his authority.

The long term future of Chelsea is going to be very interesting to watch, I can't see Abramovich sticking around for more than the next 5-10 years, they will find it tough to find a replacement.
  • Options
    Andre Villas-Boas, possibly a move for the better maybe they've now got their act together. 
  • Options
    Andre Villas-Boas, possibly a move for the better maybe they've now got their act together. 
    Will be interesting to see how he does.  Their holy grail seems to be the Champions League and Villas-Boas has no CL experience.  Really would have thought they'd turn to Guus Hiddink again.
  • Options
    personally think they've made the right decision, young up and coming manager with experience working with the best. The only problem I see is old moneybags not giving him long enough to find his footing and make his mark, let's face it Abramovich hasn't got the best track record has he?
  • Options
    It is a gamble but at least it's something new. He'll make Chelsea more entertaining to watch hopefully, they also need younger players which could work out well as I can't see Drogba taking orders from someone his own age.
  • Options
    chelsea could appoint anyone and if they don't win the champions league their out. itss roman not knowing football or giving managers time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a gamble but at least it's something new. He'll make Chelsea more entertaining to watch hopefully, they also need younger players which could work out well as I can't see Drogba taking orders from someone his own age.

I can't Drogba taking orders from anyone...
  • Options
    I can't stand 'em. Over rated club, no history and tossers like Terry, Lampard and Cole. One day the Russian Mafia will pull out and they will sink........forever.......can't wait
  • Options
    I have some time for Lampard as a person but none for the other two and agree with MAT.  Once Abramovich gets bored Chelsea are down the plug - and good riddance.  Still think the funniest moment in football was Terry spooning his penalty in the CL final.  Such a shame that the Muncs benefited.
  • Options
    The main problem is an aging and sated team
  • Options

Before Abramovich I never had a problem with Chelsea but the Abramovich era is turning into a joke. At the beginning with Mourinho it was interesting because he was so good and the whole thing was a novelty. Now, like I said, it's a joke. What is it, 7 managers in 8 years, something like that? What does Abramovich want? Will this new bloke be any better than Ancelotti? I doubt it. Abramovich must be a terror to work for.

I think he will lose interest and God help Chelsea when he does. He'll probably leave them with huge debts.

• Options

Abramovich must be a terror to work for

Why? You sign up knowing what he's like, but the £4/5/6m a year salary and the healthy pay off leave you laughing last.

• Options
    My husband said they are a greedy bunch of tossers that play for pounds not pride, that they are not worthy of his support and he is going to follow gillingham instead. I said he should come to chatlton, but he'll love the greedy tossers again tomorrow.

Think someone may be getting fired though...
  • Options
    My husband said they are a greedy bunch of tossers that play for pounds not pride, that they are not worthy of his support and he is going to follow gillingham instead. I said he should come to chatlton, but he'll love the greedy tossers again tomorrow.

firing your husband just because of a 1-1 draw seems a tad harsh, Sadie

• Options

firing your husband just because of a 1-1 draw seems a tad harsh, Sadie

I think she's had her eye on @ValleyGary for a while personally ;-)
  • Options
    and he's had his eye on her classics.