Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lennie Lawrence (Confirmed as Palace Assistant Manager)

Comments

• Options
    Crikey!
    Thats a suprise.
    Lovely bloke, worked his magic for us, so respect from me.
    I guess he must have been smitten by the portacabins back in the day when jimmy Melrose knew how to find the old onion bag.

Strangely wish him luck, despite my dislike of the stripeys.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why won't Lenny do a number 1 job?

By the way, our number 2 would have been good for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Strange move, I can't recall Lennie ever managing Freedman during his career so how do they even know each other?
    If you honestly believe that everyone in football doesn't know each other you are incredibly naive mate.
  • Options
    Bless him. old age playing tricks on his mind. He thinks it's 1988 all over again. They only gave him the job cos he kept turning up everyday. Keeps him off the streets.
  • Options
    In reply to Steco's post about Lennie, we interviewd him at the 25th Anniversary game, he clearly loves the Club and told us he would have come back if he had been asked.
  • Options
    Wish him no success whatsoever.
  • Options
    As stated, maybe a bit too old skool for us now. We can't let sentiment cloud our judgement. Always look up to him as a great manager for our club but that was almost 20 yrs ago. And in case anyone wants to pick me up on We can't let sentiment cloud our judgement and refer to us appointing CP, thats completely different, he's the future of this club, not the past.
  • Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8803690.Lawrence_confident_Eagles_will_beat_drop/
  • Options
    Disgraceful .......

At least curbs confirmed to me he would never "whore" himself out to palace ......

Still lennie was one of selhursts greatest ever managers !
  • Options
    Disgraceful .......

At least curbs confirmed to me he would never "whore" himself out to palace ......

Still lennie was one of selhursts greatest ever managers !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A legend no more. Shame
  • Options
    I'm very disappointed by this . As was said above Curbishley said he would not do this . Steve Brown once turned Palace down , I've pasted the Newshopper quote below .

Today’s appointment is certain to infuriate some Addicks fans who would have regarded him as a legend but Lawrence was keen to point out he is in football to make a living.

He said: “I am a professional and not a fan.

“Of course I have a strong connection with Charlton but it was 20 years ago now.

“If some supporters aren’t happy about it then there is not really much I can do.

“I just hope they can see in time this is a professional decision I have made.”
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]A legend no more. Shame[/quote]

Agree. He's dead to me now...

The only way he can redeem himself is by taking them to the cleaners in a Venables kinda way! Don't think that's gonna happen though...unfortunately.
  • Options
    “I just hope they can see in time this is a professional decision I have made.” Translates into "I fecking hate the nigels but the wife wants a new car"
  • Options
    Seriously blotted your copy book in the Soap household Lennie ! PALARSE FFS........ shit gonna have to move him way down my list of all time Addicks heros. Unless of course he can steer the stripey C*9Ts to relegation.

Note to Admin. Apologies I have never been able to mention the word Palarse without "C" word.
  • Options
    Option 1. Ignore or write off the football miracles Lennie performed which may well have saved our club, and wish him ill just because he joined a club some of us choose to dislike even though they are an irrelevance.

Option 2. Dont.

hmmm no contest.
  • Options
    Agree Floyd, clearly 1.
  • Options
    Lennie who ?
  • Options
    The man is a complete legend. And, yes, I know that adjective is far too widely used in reference to football players and managers. But in Lennie's case, it's absolutely deserved. He was our manager; he's their assistant manager. No question that he remains one of the best ever managers of Charlton. And it will always be with Charlton that he is remembered.

I hope his spell at Selhurst can be described in three ways, in which his spell at Charlton cannot be. Short, lucrative and cataclysmic.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lennie joining Palace is no different to Steve Gritt joining Millwall for three years in the early noughties.

Is Mr Gritt hated by us fans for joining that lot all them years ago?

For lennie, he's 63 now. Maybe this could be his last opportunity to find a job closer to home and a regular salary, which was no different to Gritty. Would your morals say no, i would never join either club, or sit waiting for the next year for a job offer to appear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Why won't Lenny do a number 1 job?

Well, he's 63 years old ....... and the front line pressure is probably served better by a younger man.
    He'll provide the experience and advice.

And a shoulder for Doogie to lean on when the pressure consumes him.
  • Options
    stefco - he said he had a lot of time for lennie,really liked him a lot.

i'm a bit disappointed by lennie's move though, just thought he would be classier than that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: YTS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]A legend no more. Shame

Agree. He's dead to me now...

I don't understand this.

Lennie's been out of work. He needs to earn a living, just like you or me.

And he'll always be a legend. Because he earned it.
    He provided 4 unexpected seasons in the top league and saved our club from extinction.

Thank you, Lennie the Legend.
    But I can't wish you good luck !
  • Options
    Why Lennie ? Why ?
  • Options
    Jimmy Seed , Curbishley , lennie lawrence ....Iconic Charlton legends .....

Lovely loyal fella gritt and all that but he didn't rewrite our history books like the above mentioned

SCP to join the above or dustybin , who knows !!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't think this is as bad as his derisory bid of £250k for Robert Lee to our cash strapped club that he had walked away from to join middlesboro
    And he would have known how desperate we would have been for that cash to help us return to the valley .....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Greenster[/cite]Why Lennie ? Why ?

It's a bit easier getting to work. He lives in Bromley.
    Bromley to Beckenham 15 minutes.
    Currently, Bromley to Hereford 3 hours?
    Previous few years Bromley to Bristol 3 hours?
    It's a no brainer, we'd all do it for more money & no ridiculous travelling.
  • Options
    I love Lennie, but sadly dont feel I can wish him luck.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Jimmy Seed , Curbishley , lennie lawrence ....Iconic Charlton legends .....

Ah, Jimmy Seed ..... the man responsible for establishing Charlton in the top flight for 20 years and winning the FA Cup.
    Legend?

Absolutely.

But .........."Seed moved to manage Millwall in the early months of 1958. He got off to a terrible start at The Den going nine matches without a win. The team eventually finished 23rd in Division Three South having to apply for re-election.
    "
    Nice work, Agent Seed.

"The following season saw Millwall playing in the new Football League Fourth Division eventually finishing 9th. Seed stepped down as Millwall manager at the end of the 1958-59 campaign but stayed with the club as advisor and then as a club director.

He continued as a director of Millwall until his death on 16 July 1966, aged 71."

Charlton legend? Totally. Charlton would have been nothing more than a Millwall or Leyton Orient otherwise.
    Read his book, "The Jimmy Seed Story".
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Charlton legend? Totally. Charlton would have been nothing more than a Millwall or Leyton Orient otherwise.
    Read his book,"The Jimmy Seed Story".

Sensible perspective Oggy as usual.

JS was "forced" to retire by the club - he was ill and the manner of his departure wasn't the greatest moment in our history. Its all in his book. He's still a legend despite his Spanner sojourn.

Lennie worked miracles for our club. Taking over after first Mullery and then Craggs went, with a transfer embargo, a winding up order, a ground closed and the club five minutes from extinction.

He kept us in the Division then built a team which was promoted and kept us there for four seasons.

He is rightly a legend for that time and I respect him enormously even if his book is rubbish and he now wears a stripey overcoat.