Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crystal Palarse Moving ?

Comments

• Options
    If they move to Crystal Palace park and hence in to the London Borough of Bromley I will refuse point blank to pay another penny more of council tax. Bad enough having the training ground here.
  • Options
    Just in case SoS isn't around, the club at last own the ground, it was bought from Lloyds when the takeover was completed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]Just in case SoS isn't around, the club at last own the ground, it was bought from Lloyds when the takeover was completed.

Ah cheers for that, I'll report that back to my Spurs board where we're discussing the developments! Ta muchly!
  • Options
    As I've said before the Olympic stadium in it's current format with an athletic's track would be a poor ground for football. Tottenham claim the views are unacceptable and West Ham fans will hate it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=163889266989986&set=a.138506572861589.22487.136200386425541

Interesting situation, which has risen mainly due to Levy being hard to deal with. If Spurs do move what happens to the land they knocked down behind the Paxton Road End? (Which had WHUFC graffiti on it when we went there!) I personally think the original plan of a reduced athletics ground is the best but I'm in the minority and money talks.
  • Options
    Can't they share with is for a while - at an exorbitant price of course. Then we can bang on for the next 20+ years about how we saved their club and they should be grateful ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Can't they share with is for a while - at an exorbitant price of course. Then we can bang on for the next 20+ years about how we saved their club and they should be grateful ;-)

We can even rent them our caravans and clown costumes! :-)
  • Options
    If Tottenham get their way, suggesting knocking down and rebuilding the Olympic stadium - to suit Spurs needs. Tottenham supposedly have agreed to pay for the rebuilding of the CP athletics track, surely this could be cost effective for Palace if they were to use it - providing they accept the running track?
  • Options
    Did Palace get the freehold without any 'embarassment clauses' ?

I thought this was a sticking point in negotiations that Rock would sell the site as a Football Ground and not as a potential housing development site.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Blimey, from what I remember of the place Crystal Palace Park (that may not be the correct name) is situated close to some very desirable residences, I can't see the locals fancying 15,000 + football fans coming to town every fortnight.

The road access down there is really bad, that would be a real spanner in the works for any re-development that included football, there is a massive difference between a couple of Athletics meetings every summer and 30 odd football games every calendar year.

I would be amazed if this got approval.
  • Options
    If infact this did happen .would be moving back to where football began for them before turning pro back in 1905.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Blimey, from what I remember of the place Crystal Palace Park (that may not be the correct name) is situated close to some very desirable residences, I can't see the locals fancying 15,000 + football fans coming to town every fortnight.

The road access down there is really bad, that would be a real spanner in the works for any re-development that included football, there is a massive difference between a couple of Athletics meetings every summer and 30 odd football games every calendar year.

It's always been a sticky point in the past.

I don't know how far this has got, but all the references so far only indicate that Thursday is only to show proposed plans.

With regard to access, at the moment by road it certainly wouldn't be great, but by train there at least two BR stations which are local, and are part of the East London Overground link, and of course a lot of buses stop at Crystal Palace. There has also been talk of extending the tramlink to Crystal Palace, and if this could be incorparated it would help to ease the road congestion.

Obviously there is a lot of work to be done, but i would certainly welcome it.

As many of you know who have been to Selhurst recently, it's not exactly Wembley, and the present board certainly seem to be of the opinion that it would be more cost efficent to move grounds than to update Selhurst.
  • Options
    According to an interview on HOL that I read, Steve Parish seems to be of the view that a new stadium would help to bring in greater non-footballing revenue and that a new stadium will draw more crowds.

This could of course all be a ruse to force Croydon council to be more amenable to redeveloping Selhurst.

We know that Spurs are trying to persuade the powers to be to allow them to rebuild the Olympic Stadium by offering to rebuild/develop the NSC Athletics Ground. Maybe Palace Board feel that they have to try and make a pre-emptive strike otherwise this opportunity will be gone for ever.
  • Options
    Let them stew in their own pish.
  • Options
    Croydon Council would have to agree to allow a change of use for Selhurst Park, the only way they'd agree to that is if they stayed with the Borough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Blimey, from what I remember of the place Crystal Palace Park (that may not be the correct name) is situated close to some very desirable residences, I can't see the locals fancying 15,000 + football fans coming to town every fortnight.

It's always been a sticky point in the past.

I don't know how far this has got, but all the references so far only indicate that Thursday is only to show proposed plans.

With regard to access, at the moment by road it certainly wouldn't be great, but by train there at least two BR stations which are local, and are part of the East London Overground link, and of course a lot of buses stop at Crystal Palace. There has also been talk of extending the tramlink to Crystal Palace, and if this could be incorparated it would help to ease the road congestion.

Obviously there is a lot of work to be done, but i would certainly welcome it.

As many of you know who have been to Selhurst recently, it's not exactly Wembley, and the present board certainly seem to be of the opinion that it would be more cost efficent to move grounds than to update Selhurst.

The thing is Budgie that the well heeled residents of the CPP area have access to the kind of cash and legal resources with which they could put up really stiff resistance to any plans being deployed by CPFC to move to the new stadium and throw a real spanner in the works.

As for the road v rail thing, I have not seen the numbers but there are still a sizeable chunk of fans who come to matches in private vehicles and that would be a nightmare for residents in the area.

In my relatively uninformed view as I am not up to date on Palace's situation at Selhurst it would be better for Palace to stay put rather than move, but then again I am a traditionalist!

Many on here loathe Selhurst for obvious reasons but the ground holds a lot of history for Palace fans and I think it would be a shame for SE London to lose another football ground with such history.

I have always lamented the loss of The Den, that new Matchbox stadium they built does not have 1% of the characted of the "old" Den and my old man and many of his mates stopped going to Millwall because the new stadium was so sterile.
  • Options
    No chance that this is going to happen. Charlton proposing a new stadium on Blackheath would probably have more local support.
  • Options
    Bloody hope not ! Living in SE26 is bad enough with Selhurst only 3 miles away....
    Don't want palace on my doorstep......
  • Options
    I must say I was a little shocked at the odds being offered by Ladbrokes today...

Spurs to win 10/11
    West Ham to win 4/1.

Would have thought West Ham would have been miles in front of Spurs...
  • Options
    Planning permission for a change of use for the National Athletics Stadium in the London Borough of Bromley?

Very, very difficult, very, very expensive and with some of the strongest NIMBYS in the Country.

For a football club from another Borough?

Nigh on impossible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wish Palarse, Tottinghum and Wet Spam all the worst in their endeavors. Now back to CAFC...roll on Saturday and the Chris Powell revolution.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Planning permission for a change of use for the National Athletics Stadium in the London Borough of Bromley?

Very, very difficult, very, very expensive and with some of the strongest NIMBYS in the Country.

Nigh on impossible.

What if they grease the right palms?

There is little or no integrity in national or local politics.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Planning permission for a change of use for the National Athletics Stadium in the London Borough of Bromley?

Nigh on impossible.

Bromley have never given any indication of being in favour of Football at the NSC, however one thing in Palace's fortunes on this occasion, is the involvement of Martin Long, who has had many dealings with Bromley over the years, with his involvement at Churchill Insurance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

I have always lamented the loss of The Den, that new Matchbox stadium they built does not have 1% of the characted of the "old" Den and my old man and many of his mates stopped going to Millwall because the new stadium was so sterile.

Have yet to go to a new ground that had the character of the former ground. It's just impossible to match really. All these big bland soulless concrete bowls, not much you can really do with them. And when they're not full the atmosphere just dies. One thing I will say is that at least at The Den we still make a bit of a racket when needed.

Will be a shame when White Hart Lane goes, another good old ground lost along with Highbury, Maine Road, Highfield Road, Baseball Ground, Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Victoria Ground etc Ok they were grim, piss running down the terraces, poor food etc but they were proper and felt like football.

These new grounds are all the same, it's nothing special, built outside of towns, on big industrial estates, same thing up & down the country. Depressing.
  • Options
    I would have thought the main thing in favour of a Palace move to the NSC is that if West Ham win the bid for the Olympic stadium then the National Athletics Stadium becomes a white elephant as far as track and field is concerned, with zip chance of investment from elsewhere.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]

Have yet to go to a new ground that had the character of the former ground. It's just impossible to match really. All these big bland soulless concrete bowls, not much you can really do with them. And when they're not full the atmosphere just dies. One thing I will say is that at least at The Den we still make a bit of a racket when needed.

Will be a shame when White Hart Lane goes, another good old ground lost along with Highbury, Maine Road, Highfield Road, Baseball Ground, Ayresome Park, Roker Park, Victoria Ground etc Ok they were grim, piss running down the terraces, poor food etc but they were proper and felt like football.

These new grounds are all the same, it's nothing special, built outside of towns, on big industrial estates, same thing up & down the country. Depressing.

The "approach" to the old Den was one of the best things about going there, as long as you weren't an away fan.

I used to go to games with my old man at The "Old" Den when I was a kid and I remember the smell of the burgers as you walked underneath what seemed like endless "archways" and finally saw the glare of the floodlights.

I always remember that stairway leading to the Cold Blow Lane terrace, it seemed to take forever to get up those bloody stairs.

Although, in all fairness, the "main" stand in those days was probably the worse example of its kind in the top two divisions, would not have looked out of place in the Conference!

My old girlfriend and her family were all Millwall and we all went to the last ever game at The Den against Bristol Rovers, it was a real shame that the dickhead fraternity ended up spoiling what should have been a good day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]

The "approach" to the old Den was one of the best things about going there, as long as you weren't an away fan.

I used to go to games with my old man at The "Old" Den when I was a kid and I remember the smell of the burgers as you walked underneath what seemed like endless "archways" and finally saw the glare of the floodlights.

I always remember that stairway leading to the Cold Blow Lane terrace, it seemed to take forever to get up those bloody stairs.

Although, in all fairness, the "main" stand in those days was probably the worse example of its kind in the top two divisions, would not have looked out of place in the Conference!

My old girlfriend and her family were all Millwall and we all went to the last ever game at The Den against Bristol Rovers, it was a real shame that the dickhead fraternity ended up spoiling what should have been a good day.

How was the day spoilt? Only thing that spoilt it was Bristol winning & a missed penalty!
  • Options
    @Sparrows Lane Lion

From what I remember (we were in the CBL) the pitch invasion started about five minutes before the end and people were scaling the fences trying to get onto the pitch whilst the game was still in progress.

Most people wanted to wait until the final whistle before the pitch invasion started, that was fair enough, but a couple of dozen of the lunatic fringe decided that they could not wait another five minutes.

It was not violent or nasty but completely needless that the last game should have to end in such a chaotic mess which I know certainly upset the Millwall family I was with who thought it would all lead to another round of "Millwall thugs" headlines.

As I recall Rovers had already been relegated and won 3-0! Talk about an anti-climax and then, if memory serves right, you got stuffed 4-1 at home by Southend live on TV in the first game at the new place!

Nonetheless, we still turned up for our annual stuffing later that season, 2-1 I think it was with a last-minute goal from Jamie Moralee.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]From what I remember (we were in the CBL) the pitch invasion started about five minutes before the end and people were scaling the fences trying to get onto the pitch whilst the game was still in progress.

I seem to recall a pitch invasion at the end of another "last ever game". Different circumstances and feelings maybe. Still an emotional moment for any fans I would say.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Spurs to be in dispute with Palace and West Ham at same time?

Interesting article. I can't help thinking that there us a game of poker going on here.

I can't believe as others have speculated, that Spurs want to move to Newham. This has to be a ruse to force Harringay's hand. The costs of demolishing the Olympic Stadium, rebuilding it and redeveloping the NSC are going to be huge.

Palace are making their move now to lay down a marker to Spurs/Development Agency that there are other options for the NSC site, and at the same time, light a bomb under Croydon to allow re-development of Sellout Park.

The club with all the cards are West Ham. I