Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crystal Palarse Moving ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]From what I remember (we were in the CBL) the pitch invasion started about five minutes before the end and people were scaling the fences trying to get onto the pitch whilst the game was still in progress.

I seem to recall a pitch invasion at the end of another "last ever game". Different circumstances and feelings maybe. Still an emotional moment for any fans I would say.

Not the same thing Bing, in all fairness.

Stoke 1985 was a protest about being moved to Selhurst Park, whereas Millwall at The Den in 1993 was just a bunch of herberts who could not wait for the game to finish before getting on the pitch and getting as many souvenirs as they could.

I would not have minded the pitch invasion and souvernir gathering if they had waited until the final whistle but they created absolute bedlam down there and ruined it for a lot of people.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]From what I remember (we were in the CBL) the pitch invasion started about five minutes before the end and people were scaling the fences trying to get onto the pitch whilst the game was still in progress.

I seem to recall a pitch invasion at the end of another "last ever game". Different circumstances and feelings maybe. Still an emotional moment for any fans I would say.

Not the same thing Bing, in all fairness.

Stoke 1985 was a protest about being moved to Selhurst Park, whereas Millwall at The Den in 1993 was just a bunch of herberts who could not wait for the game to finish before getting on the pitch and getting as many souvenirs as they could.

I would not have minded the pitch invasion and souvernir gathering if they had waited until the final whistle but they created absolute bedlam down there and ruined it for a lot of people.

What a load of rubbish. Just a bunch of herberts?? It was mainly little kids who were the ones over the fences and standing on the touchlines with time remaining. I was 9, my brother was 7. We was waiting with loads of other kids. None of us had a real idea of what The Den meant to older fans. Obviously loads of older bods came on too before the end, but to say it was a bunch of herberts is madness. Was kids, teenagers, adults, women, the lot. First I've ever really heard of any Millwall fan saying that the day was "ruined" due to a premature pitch invasion!!
  • Options
    Talk of Palace switching boroughs reminds me Crystal Palace Park sits at the boundary of four boroughs - Bromley, Croydon, Southwark, and Lambeth. That's a lot of room for objection. Lewisham's border is only a couple of hundred yards away too.

Ken Livingstone - who may regain the mayoralty next spring, remember - might not be keen on a Palace move. He's come out in favour of West Ham getting the Olympic Stadium, adding: "The athletics facilities at Crystal Palace are standing up only by willpower. If we hadn’t won the Olympics, the mayor of London would have had to have found a couple of hundred million pounds to create a modern athletics facility – or we weren’t going to have one in the city.

‘I think for a great world city to not have an athletics capacity is ridiculous. And [so] the Olympics are god-sent. You leave an athletics legacy at the Olympic site, and you then give the people of Crystal Palace back their park."
  • Options
    @ SLL

Fair enough, you have your recollection and I have mine.

I was 20 years old and stone cold sober all day so I doubt my memory is too shabby of the days proceedings. My then GF's family, all lifelong Millwall, were all pissed off about the way things ended and my old man was none too happy either, albeit not in the least bit surprised.

Anway, it was not a riot or violent just badly timed and chaotic, I supposed the fact that the home side were 3-0 down did not help matters.

Probably is a bit OTT of me to say that the day was "ruined" but I suppose it was kind of fitting that Millwall ended their life at The Den with a pitch invasion and the game being ended five minutes early, would have been a shame to ruin the clubs' great traditions.......:)

Anyway, it does not matter in the slightest, it was a great old ground and I wish it were still there and in use. It's such a shame to see all that history and tradition go down the tubes in favor of soulless places like The New Den, The Riverside, The Stadium of Light and Pride Park.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Stoke 1985 was a protest about being moved to Selhurst Park, whereas Millwall at The Den in 1993 was just a bunch of herberts who could not wait for the game to finish before getting on the pitch and getting as many souvenirs as they could.

I wasn't at the Den so I am only speculating. I know that I would have been emotional if the ground that I watched football at my whole life was to be no more, even if we were moving to our own new ground a few hundred yards away. Of course our departure was likely to be more emotionally charged given the nature of the move.

I miss the character of the old grounds but not their ramshackle nature to be honest. At Brentford recently, and last year at Gillingham grounds I've been to from time to time over the years, it struck me as what dumps they actually are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Stoke 1985 was a protest about being moved to Selhurst Park, whereas Millwall at The Den in 1993 was just a bunch of herberts who could not wait for the game to finish before getting on the pitch and getting as many souvenirs as they could.

I wasn't at the Den so I am only speculating. I know that I would have been emotional if the ground that I watched football at my whole life was to be no more, even if we were moving to our own new ground a few hundred yards away. Of course our departure was likely to be more emotionally charged given the nature of the move.

I miss the character of the old grounds but not their ramshackle nature to be honest. At Brentford recently, and last year at Gillingham grounds I've been to from time to time over the years, it struck me as what dumps they actually are.

You're probably right there Bing, I am just a sentimental old fool at times!
  • Options
    What has palace's move got to do with the last day at the den?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What has palace's move got to do with the last day at the den?

Er, probably that both events involve a club moving from their traditional home to a new one.

In south-east London's case - and putting Wimbledon in that basket - if Palace were to move then we would be the only SE London club to still be playing at our traditional ground.

And that's only because we fought so hard to get back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What has palace's move got to do with the last day at the den?

Er, probably that both events involve a club moving from their traditional home to a new one.

In south-east London's case - and putting Wimbledon in that basket - if Palace were to move then we would be the only SE London club to still be playing at our traditional ground.

The problem with Wimbledon though, is there traditional ground was Plough Lane which was SW17.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sure they would. Bromley would have to have the headache that is the NSC off their hands and Croydon get some more housing and a bigger Sainsbury's

Doesn't mean the locals will agree.
  • Options
    Given that Palace go broke every 4 or 5 years perhaps they look into a groundshare with Millwall!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Spurs to be in dispute with Palace and West Ham at same time?

Interesting article. I can't help thinking that there us a game of poker going on here.

I can't believe as others have speculated, that Spurs want to move to Newham. This has to be a ruse to force Harringay's hand. The costs of demolishing the Olympic Stadium, rebuilding it and redeveloping the NSC are going to be huge.

Palace are making their move now to lay down a marker to Spurs/Development Agency that there are other options for the NSC site, and at the same time, light a bomb under Croydon to allow re-development of Sellout Park.

The club with all the cards are West Ham. I

I think you are right that there is some poker going on, but I'm not sure this is about putting pressure on Haringey. The section 106 agreement which sets out all the obligations on Spurs in terms of financial contributions has been agreed (I was involved acting for one of the parties to the agreement).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jints[/cite]I think you are right that there is some poker going on, but I'm not sure this is about putting pressure on Haringey. The section 106 agreement which sets out all the obligations on Spurs in terms of financial contributions has been agreed (I was involved acting for one of the parties to the agreement).

I don't doubt that. They have to serious about moving there or Haringay wont take them seriously. Also if Haringay won't budge, then they need to be exploring alternatives.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]

The problem with Wimbledon though, is there traditional ground was Plough Lane which was SW17.

THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT THIS WAS THE TRADITIONAL HOME OF PALACE BEFORE ANYOTHER GROUND THUS MOVING BACK HOME.......READ HISTORY OF CLUB OR CLUBS.
  • Options
    I am not interested in reading up on the history of Crystal Palace Football Club! Thanks anyway!