Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leyton Orient fear extinction

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Leyton Orient were effectively offer the stadium two years ago, when the plan was to go for 25,000, they then acted like massive pricks when quite rightly the OPLC went looking for a rugby club to get in to help balance the books. They're games are already matched with West Ham so it won't be a huge problem.

If Spurs get the site, it will be a shambles

I was pretty sure that I had read that this was the case.

As for your final comment, absolutely. I cannot think what the Spurs bid has to commend it.

If they get the nod they will

1. knock the legacy stadium down - making us a laughing stock in the world and in athletics in particular
    2. move to another area of London which makes confrontation off the pitch almost certain almost every game
    3. throw up all kinds of problems for Palarse
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Can't believe Spurs or contemplating this. It may only be 7 miles, but that is massive in London terms - not much different from moving to Milton Keynes, the catchment area is different and it represents a complete abandonment of the community which founded and has supported Spurs for over a century.

Whilst i see your point, i wonder just how many Spurs fans are actually from the local community?

Don't think that's particularly relevant, most of the 16k at The Valley on Saturday don't actually live in the local community - at a guess maybe 5-6k live within 5 miles and the rest mainly from all over Kent. I doubt many of them would be happy if someone decided to move us 7 miles from Charlton just for the sake of a new stadium, I certainly wouldn't.

Depends on how Spurs fans view the future of their club i guess. A 36k seater stadium with not much hope of expansion or a 60k stadium plus getting one over on West ham?
  • Decision has been put on hold.
  • CommentAuthorLeroy Ambrose CommentTime4 hours ago # 5
    Posted By: liamhappe
    West Ham or Spurs using the Olympic Stadium alone, regardless of its location, would halve Orient's attendance, since 1/2 of their season ticket holders would then be able to get a seat at their first choice club every week...

Tough shit. if a club exists as a going concern solely as a 'second choice' for fans of an other club, then that club doesn't have much of a sound footing to begin with.

Agreed - I merely stated it to rub it into Snorient fans. The ones I know irk me. A lot.
  • The only thing that makes the West Ham bid look decent is that the Spurs bid is so terrible. After the Olympics, there will be a stadium with excellent links and infrastructures that should be a viable concern without the need for a football club. I would say, it should be enough to keep it marginally profitable, so it could also be used for school athletics finals- amateur events from time to time - think how inspiring it would be to perform in the Olympic Stadium- empty or not. Also, lesser sports could have their finals there and they could also hold concerts etc... If a football club gets it- it will lose some of it's magic- it won't be the olympic stadium but a football ground with a running track. The word Legacy means something and I don't think it refers to a football Legacy.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Mixed feelings on this. I'd have plenty of sympathy for Orient if Spurs move there, as I would for West Ham - it's West Ham and Orient territory. I don't see how they can have any complaints if West Ham get it though - not really any different in principle from West Ham increasing the capacity of Upton Park, which they are obviously well within their rights to do.

Can't believe Spurs or contemplating this. It may only be 7 miles, but that is massive in London terms - not much different from moving to Milton Keynes, the catchment area is different and it represents a complete abandonment of the community which founded and has supported Spurs for over a century. Financial gain above all else, as usual.

I agree with this.

Orient and West Ham will be negatively impacted if Spurs get the stadium.
  • If the running track is kept on a 60k stadium (pure madness) they should do the decent thing and hold a few test matches there.
  • Well, Essex have already said that they will host 20/20 games there, Live Nation will host gigs there all summer, we'll get the World athletic championships in 2017, plus a load of other stuff, the West Ham bid has so much more going for it
  • will west ham getting it over spurs affect the nigels stadium plans?
  • WHy does the West Ham bid need West Ham though?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]WHy does the West Ham bid need West Ham though?
    They (two Daves and a Karen) can make money out of selling off Upton Park.
    If West Ham get it Palace can go ahead with their stadium plans.
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]If the running track is kept on a 60k stadium (pure madness) they should do the decent thing and hold a few test matches there.

Graham gooch is working with the west ham bid to get essex matches there. They play some games at ilford now which is less than 5 miles away. I dont really want West ham to get it but for the life of me cant cant how spurs can have it. They would then be playing an east london derby with west ham instead of a north londaon one with that other load of shite. Its just wrong.
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]WHy does the West Ham bid need West Ham though?
    They (two Daves and a Karen) can make money out of selling off Upton Park.

If West Ham get it Palace can go ahead with their stadium plans.

The two Daves only bought west ham to develop upton park when they moved to the olympic stadium (which they will borrow the money off the council for) I was told this by someone that knows them before they got control of west ham and now it seems true. That is one reason i hope they fail the other is west ham play at upton park end of. Spurs shouldn't have it and it cant just be left in stratford doing nothing, christ anywhere but there. I dont know the best answer but the two going for it are wrong.
  • Exactly - the Olympic stadium shoudn't have been built for West Ham fans but for all of us. I maintain that a national Athletics stadium can make money through other events and retain a true identity if it stays away from Football. The Spurs bid is ludicrous and would make us a laughing stock and ensure we never get a major event again. .......well we may not get another event again anyway if the World Cup is anything to go by :) If I don't support West Ham, why should my taxes go towards benefitting them. If I supported Orient - why should my taxes go towards damaging the team I support?
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Exactly - the Olympic stadium shoudn't have been built for West Ham fans but for all of us.

Totally agree with that.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]The two Daves only bought west ham to develop upton park when they moved to the olympic stadium (which they will borrow the money off the council for) I was told this by someone that knows them before they got control of west ham and now it seems true.

I am sure this is true because at one of their first press conferences they said that they wanted to pursue it. On the other hand I can't really fault their logic.

The club was in £100M of debt when they took over. How is the club to wriggle out of much of that without liberating its assets? If I had some serious money, I don't think I could be persuaded to bung it in to fill up the bucket again, knowing that there is a more than reasonable chance that the bucket will have a massive leak in it and I shall have to keep filling it again.

It seems to me, setting aside the absolutely understandable emotional ties to the Boleyn, there just an easy way forward without this solution. The Abramovitchs of this world a few and far between, i.e. a playboy Billionaire. Even seriously rich people like the two Davids ain't got money to burn.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Exactly - the Olympic stadium shoudn't have been built for West Ham fans but for all of us.

Totally agree with that.

Seconded. Particularly as everyone across London has paid for this through their Council Tax. Presumably West Ham's proposal doesn't include provision to reimburse the 8 million Londoners who were under the impression that they were involuntarily funding an international athletics tournament rather than West Ham's new stadium.
  • Spurs aside, which is just plain greedy of the twats (surprise surprise there), I would hate the fact that those two dildo salesmen and WHU would basically profit from this situation. IF football is to be involved, then keep the track, reduce the capacity to 25,000 as promised in the bid, GIVE the ground to Leyton Orient (who after all have never had a sniff of the Premier League gravy train or are likely to...) and with athletics,concerts and 20/20 Essex Cricket, Bobs yer Uncle and Fanny is your Aunt. We HAVE to honour our promises to the IOC and the athletics world here. FOOTBALL does not need it all.
  • [cite]Posted By: soapy_jones[/cite]those two dildo salesmen
    [cite]Posted By: soapy_jones[/cite]Fanny is your Aunt

Hmm is there a connection here? :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Exactly - the Olympic stadium shoudn't have been built for West Ham fans but for all of us.

Totally agree with that.

Seconded. Particularly as everyone across London has paid for this through their Council Tax. Presumably West Ham's proposal doesn't include provision to reimburse the 8 million Londoners who were under the impression that they were involuntarily funding an international athletics tournament rather than West Ham's new stadium.

In all fairness it wasn't built for West Ham but i do believe whoever takes it over should pay some of the way to building it although not all. This was a balls up from the start, if they wanted a legacy they should have before building it thought about what legacy they wanted. If they had and they wanted it to go to a football team (and lets face it thats where it will get most use) then West Ham or spurs should have bid before it was built and been involved in the planning and the cost. Therefore Londoners and home counties wouldn't have had to pay for something that our north london friends will just knock down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, Orient are the only football club that it would be acceptable to play there- the stadium is virtually on their doorstep after all and they would not directly adversly affect any competitors.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]This was a balls up from the start, if they wanted a legacy they should have before building it thought about what legacy they wanted. If they had and they wanted it to go to a football team (and lets face it thats where it will get most use) then West Ham or spurs should have bid before it was built and been involved in the planning and the cost.

I agree with this Uncle but I suspect the last thing they wanted to do at the bidding stage was to give a sniff to the idea that a Football Club might take it on. I think the whole thrust of their bid was to say that they will leave a world class athletic stadium and not muddy the waters.
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Yes, Orient are the only football club that it would be acceptable to play there- the stadium is virtually on their doorstep after all and they would not directly adversly affect any competitors.

To be fair it couldn't be much more on West Ham's doorstep either, and let me tell you, nothing West Ham do or don't do with that stadium will have an adverse affect on Orient, none whatsoever.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]This was a balls up from the start, if they wanted a legacy they should have before building it thought about what legacy they wanted. If they had and they wanted it to go to a football team (and lets face it thats where it will get most use) then West Ham or spurs should have bid before it was built and been involved in the planning and the cost.

I agree with this Uncle but I suspect the last thing they wanted to do at the bidding stage was to give a sniff to the idea that a Football Club might take it on. I think the whole thrust of their bid was to say that they will leave a world class athletic stadium and not muddy the waters.

I totally agree which is why we as a country cant moan that we never got the world cup. We lied there was no thought of any legacy just to get the olympics. I doubt after all this we will win a bid for anything, especially if spurs knock the whole lot down.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I doubt after all this we will win a bid for anything, especially if spurs knock the whole lot down.

It seems its OK to embellish the actualite in the case of the Olympics, or ehmmm.......ensure there are some financial benefits available to the voters, like with World Cup bids. We are not going to be able to lie to the Olympic committee again and we ain't any good at the "bungs" game any longer. So we might as well not bother to bid again.
  • Personally I would like to see spurs get it,so that Crystal Palace athletics stadium, the true home of UK Athletics gets the investment that it needs. In the same sweeping move we would also prevent Palace from moving to the stadium,causing them problems finding a new hovel.
  • Bing your absolutely right but how many millions did we waste on the world cup bid? I'm sure someone on here will know but i remember it was a lot.

Kap the last i heard they are in kahoots (not sure of spelling) with the yids and are going to work together to get the best of both.
  • Sorrry i meant with spurs!
  • [cite]Posted By: smudge7946[/cite]* Friend Or Defoe
    * CommentTime6 hours ago

quote# 12
    How do Leyton FC survive with Orient around the corner?

Leyton FC DONT survive.
    They folded last week!

I bet big bad Barry didn't care about that. Any stories of him trying to save the little local club in the papers? Na didn't think so, he's such a cock i cant stand him.