Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weird footballing moments and Charlton Athletic

This evenings bizarre refereeing decision reminded me of some other footballing weirdness in particular the away match against Sunderland when they scored 4 goals (three own goals) and we one 1-3.

There was also the east Asian betting syndicate and the failing floodlights.

The attempted writ serving on Ian Dowie.

Any more?

Comments

• The Sunderland game when was that,call it old age can not remember that.But i could tell you about a hat-trick of own goals about a certain Charlton player that you will not find in any books but having been at the match i know what happened and what was announced.Good quiz question.
  • edited February 2011
    A more protracted moment perhaps but leaving The Valley for 7 years and going back, a club will NEVER leave a ground and go back like we did!!
  • didn't we once score through the side netting?
  • Didn't Martin Pringle score a goal with his arse?
  • The Sunderland game when was that,call it old age can not remember that.But i could tell you about a hat-trick of own goals about a certain Charlton player that you will not find in any books but having been at the match i know what happened and what was announced.Good quiz question.

Yes, in 2003.

3 own goals
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]didn't we once score through the side netting?

I remember we scored against Wrexham when the ball just went wide. Wrexham refused to kick off for about 5 minutes and eventually hoofed it as far out of the ground as they could. The weirdest bit was seeing the ref signal the goal and the players belatedly celebrating "the goal".
  • The black cat on the touchline (Blackburn?)
  • Norwich away in the late 80s.

There was some dispute about whether a shot from Robert Fleck had crossed the line or not, the players surrounded the referee who turned to move away and promptly ran into Mark Reid's fist (albeit accidentally) and knocked himself out. The replacement referee agreed with the Charlton players that the ball hadn't crossed the line but couldn't reverse the decision as he wasn't referee at the time when the decision was made.
  • Cafc fan jumping on pitch to confront notts county player. Game against Leicester when programmes rained down on Ian Walker
  • Has to be Killer and Flash fighting one another in the FA Cup game at the Valley verses Maidstone. I was still shaking my head a hour later in the pub!
  • Sponsored links:

• Jim Ryan - a reserve match between Charlton and Millwall. Jim laid out Pat Brady with a perfect punch. He was sent off, didn't last much longer at Charlton and joined Millwall.
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Jim Ryan - a reserve match between Charlton and Millwall. Jim laid out Pat Brady with a perfect punch. He was sent off, didn't last much longer at Charlton and joined Millwall.

He was among friends there!
  • Game v Notts County in 70s. County defender thought ref had blown whistle and picked the ball up in the box. Penalty given, game finished 1-1.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    Yes, in 2003.

3 own goals

"Moroccan centre-back Talal El Karkouri - on loan from Paris St Germain".

Didn't realise El Kak was playing for Sunderland that day.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    The Sunderland game when was that,call it old age can not remember that.But i could tell you about a hat-trick of own goals about a certain Charlton player that you will not find in any books but having been at the match i know what happened and what was announced.Good quiz question.

Yes, in 2003.

3 own goals

There were only two own goals
  • Although, Jimmy ......the Torygraph report is quite specific:

"The rapid hat-trick of own goals, between the 24th minute and the 31st, hardly helped lighten the mood at a ground which began to empty of home fans well before the half-time whistle.

First, a half-hit shot from Mark Fish clipped Jody Craddock and Stephen Wright on the way to leaving goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen horribly wrong-footed. But the trio's despair was nothing compared with that of local boy Michael Proctor, who contrived to divert the ball into his own net twice in quick succession.

Three minutes after Charlton's opener, Chris Powell's low drive was blocked by Sorensen but rebounded off Proctor and in at the near post. Then the young midfielder turned his back on Claus Jensen's corner and inadvertently diverted the ball past his own goalkeeper."
  • But in the list of goalscorers Fish is clearly credited with the first goal.

Same thing in The Guardian:

Fish scored?
  • So I see, Jimmy.

Any idea what the Club recorded as 1st goal scorer on our OS?
  • any1 remember against west ham, when the ball was rolling along the touchline an the ballboy picked it up stopping the west ham player getn it despite it stil bein in?
  • Anyone remember me scoring after just 9 seconds. Now that was cool.

Have I mentionned this before? -;
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Anyone remember me scoring after just 9 seconds. Now that was cool.

Have I mentionned this before? -;

Yes, Jimmy.

Yes, Jimmy.

;o)
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Cafc fan jumping on pitch to confront notts county player. Game against Leicester when programmes rained down on Ian Walker

Allegedly a fat bloke called John Brown?, came out of the Covered End and shoved Charlie Palmer in the back. 1993, won 2-1.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]didn't we once score through the side netting?

Oldham at home 1972, Peter Hunt.
  • Marcel Desailly throwing his socks into the old North stand after a whole game of being called a w@nker
  • I had a great view of the David Axcell/Mark Reid incident (was sat down the side). Mark Reid ran towards David Axcell and pushed him just as Axcell turned to face him. He went down and was knocked out when his head hit the ground. Reid should've been sent off but I'm fairly sure he wasn't even booked although he did get a reprimand at disciplinary hearing for something like "Technical Assault." The shot which didn't appear to have crossed the line, was from Wayne Biggins. Reid should've been sent off. Also, in the last minute, Jim Melrose ran through and lobbed Bryan Gunn but the goal was disallowed for an obscure infringement. Remember feeling like those Colchester fans do tonight.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Norwich away in the late 80s.

There was some dispute about whether a shot from Robert Fleck had crossed the line or not, the players surrounded the referee who turned to move away and promptly ran into Mark Reid's fist (albeit accidentally) and knocked himself out. The replacement referee agreed with the Charlton players that the ball hadn't crossed the line but couldn't reverse the decision as he wasn't referee at the time when the decision was made.

86/87, one all. Wayne Biggins the goalscorer. The replacement ref chalked off a good Jim Melrose goal in the last few mins to deny us the 3 points.
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Cafc fan jumping on pitch to confront notts county player.

Allegedly a fat bloke called John Brown?, came out of the Covered End and shoved Charlie Palmer in the back. 1993, won 2-1.

there was a similar incident when we were at selhurst...
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]So I see, Jimmy.

Any idea what the Club recorded as 1st goal scorer on our OS?

More importantly, what did the 'Dubious Goals Committee' say?

Incidentally haven't heard about that for donkey's years. Does anyone know if it still exists?
  • I believe it's a panel for Premier League games only, Allez.
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]I had a great view of the David Axcell/Mark Reid incident (was sat down the side). Mark Reid ran towards David Axcell and pushed him just as Axcell turned to face him. He went down and was knocked out when his head hit the ground. Reid should've been sent off but I'm fairly sure he wasn't even booked although he did get a reprimand at disciplinary hearing for something like "Technical Assault." The shot which didn't appear to have crossed the line, was from Wayne Biggins. Reid should've been sent off. Also, in the last minute, Jim Melrose ran through and lobbed Bryan Gunn but the goal was disallowed for an obscure infringement. Remember feeling like those Colchester fans do tonight.
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Norwich away in the late 80s.

86/87, one all. Wayne Biggins the goalscorer. The replacement ref chalked off a good Jim Melrose goal in the last few mins to deny us the 3 points.

I was at that game too. Am pretty sure that the Ref disallowed the Melrose goal because he had blown for a foul a split second before - a foul on Melrose! Pretty certain that's what happened and we had a free kick on the edge of the box because I remember fuming about it all the way home - the fat c*** linesman/ref was so far behind play it was a complete joke!