Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weird footballing moments and Charlton Athletic

13»

Comments

• It was either late 60's or early 70's. I think it might have been Keith Peacock who had been brought down just inside the box we all apealed for a penalty and the ref signaled no, but another of the opposing players thought the penalty had been given. With his back to where the incident and the ref were he picked up the ball and turned to demonstrate and the ref promptly blew for hand ball and we got the pen.

Does anyone remember who it was against?
  • [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]It was either late 60's or early 70's. I think it might have been Keith Peacock who had been brought down just inside the box we all apealed for a penalty and the ref signaled no, but another of the opposing players thought the penalty had been given. With his back to where the incident and the ref were he picked up the ball and turned to demonstrate and the ref promptly blew for hand ball and we got the pen.

Vague recollection it also happened to a Hungarian player in the 78 or 82 World Cup as well. He'd broken clean through and then for no apparent reason pulled up, picked the ball up and started walking back to the halfway line, only to realise it was a whistle from the crowd.
  • It was either late 60's or early 70's. I think it might have been Keith Peacock who had been brought down just inside the box we all apealed for a penalty and the ref signaled no, but another of the opposing players thought the penalty had been given. With his back to where the incident and the ref were he picked up the ball and turned to demonstrate and the ref promptly blew for hand ball and we got the pen. Does anyone remember who it was against?
    More like mid 70s I think & it was against Notts County
  •  There was also the east Asian betting syndicate and the failing floodlights.

Was this the game in around 87/88 against QPR (I think) when we were at Selhurst, cue chants of  'what a sh1tty ground this is' and 'back to the valley'?

Or was that a few seasons later, when we were actually back at the Valley and someone got caught?

• As for weird events - am I right in thinking we were one of the first to be penalised for the pass-back to goalkeeper rule ? Maybe away to palarse ????
    I wasn't aware of that but I do recall that in the home pre season friendly that year, Balmer was bending down to drag 'back passes' to the keeper via his shin to beat the new law, but that was outlawed within the first two weeks of the season as deliberately attempting to circumvent the laws of the game.
  • Jim Ryan - a reserve match between Charlton and Millwall. Jim laid out Pat Brady with a perfect punch. He was sent off, didn't last much longer at Charlton and joined Millwall.
    Pat Brady taught me A-level economics at Brockley County School after he'd retired.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]As for weird events - am I right in thinking we were one of the first to be penalised for the pass-back to goalkeeper rule ?

Maybe away to palarse ????[/quote]

A sliced clearnce from Pitcher that the keeper picked up. Absolute bollox decision that they scored from too.

I think we drew 1-1 in the end but went out on aggregate, it was a league cup tie.[/quote]

We lost 3-1 on the night and Palarse won 1-0 at The Valley. David Whyte scored in both legs.

We were also one of the first (if not the first) team to suffer from the 'goalie holding onto the ball for more than 6 seconds' rule when Pettersen was penalised in a League Cup tie v Ipswich. They scored from the indirect free kick as well, which was the only goal of the game.

The referee at Selhurst was the ever reliable Kelvin Morton, and as I looked that up to confirm my suspicions, I see that the Palace goal at The Valley was scored by Armstrong, not Whyte. And I agree, we were the first (and almost only) club to be penalised on the six second rule. 
  • Carlo vs. Notts County and the ref was so weird it really does qualify. But for me, the funniest is the fan running onto the pitch in mid-90s to celebrate with three players, slipping, and wiping out said players, while another strange one was Steve Thompson's diving header at Selhurst - he really went for it and disappeared over the advertising hoardings, much to mine and Dad's amusement. The headline in the paper the next day was "I could have been killed", as he claimed he narrowly missed a Final Destination-style random spike.
  • Sponsored links:

• The bloke in the Mankini last year.
  •  But for me, the funniest is the fan running onto the pitch in mid-90s to celebrate with three players, slipping, and wiping out said players,
    Think that was away to Huddersfield, 95-96. I thought it was only two players though, Bowyer and Mark Robson. They captured full footage of it on the end of season videos. There was a similar one against Pompey, someone went on a victory charge down the icy steps at Fratton Park and took a very painful looking fall.