Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weird footballing moments and Charlton Athletic

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Back in the Prem at home to West Ham - think it was a 4-2- win - we were ahead one goal but the ball broke on the left to Steve Lomas near the East Stand touchline. Just as it looked like we'd be really stretched, a young ball girl inexplicably picked the ball up when it was still a foot inside the line.

Lomas didn't know what to do with himself, he wanted to scream every expletive under the sun at her but she couldn't have even been 10. In fact I think Lomas reaction was even funnier than the ball being picked up.

Ref gave us a throw. Good decision I think...
  • stuart balmer getting the no 1 shirt
  • [cite]Posted By: rikofold[/cite]Back in the Prem at home to West Ham - think it was a 4-2- win - we were ahead one goal but the ball broke on the left to Steve Lomas near the East Stand touchline. Just as it looked like we'd be really stretched, a young ball girl inexplicably picked the ball up when it was still a foot inside the line.

Lomas didn't know what to do with himself, he wanted to scream every expletive under the sun at her but she couldn't have even been 10. In fact I think Lomas reaction was even funnier than the ball being picked up.

Ref gave us a throw. Good decision I think...

That was really funny.....Id quite forgotten about it....
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Norwich away in the late 80s.

There was some dispute about whether a shot from Robert Fleck had crossed the line or not, the players surrounded the referee who turned to move away and promptly ran into Mark Reid's fist (albeit accidentally) and knocked himself out. The replacement referee agreed with the Charlton players that the ball hadn't crossed the line but couldn't reverse the decision as he wasn't referee at the time when the decision was made.

86-87 wasn't it? Didn't Jim Melrose controversially have a goal disallowed at the death as well?

Who remebers the ref falling over in the goal and almost saving Leaburn's goal in the 5-1 win over Notts County?
  • I remember thinking that the South African warm up that we did with Mark Fish and Shaun Bartlett was pretty weird the first time I saw it.

Entertaining too!
  • What about in our 2nd Premier League relegation season when the linesman gave Fulham a free kick in injury time for handball against Traore (was it him?) It was quite clear that the ball didn't go within 5 yards of Traore never mind hit his hand. It actually hit the Fulham player on the hand! Obviously we conceded from the "free kick"
  • Not sure if I have made this up, but there was a game against Derby I think when we played at Upton Park, and I am sure when their goalie walked to back of pitch to start his run up for a goal kick, someone in the crowd grabbed him and he half got pulled over the barrier.

None of my mates ever remember this - did I dream it ?
  • Charlton v Oldham in the late 60's / early 70's. Harry Gregory shoots and hits the advertising hording at the side of the goal. The players line up for the goal-kick, whilst the referee ,Harry Powell, has signalled a goal and returned to the centre circle. Chaos ensues, but the goal stands and Charlton go on to win 2-0.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Anyone remember me scoring after just 9 seconds. Now that was cool.

Have I mentionned this before? -;

The weird thing about that goal is that the match actually kicked off ever so slightly early so the goal came up on teletext before the offical kick off time of 3:00pm. My mate - a west ham fan - had just turned on his TV to see the scores coming up and couldn't believe his team were 0-1 down at 2:59pm!
  • [cite]Posted By: arthur[/cite]What about in our 2nd Premier League relegation season when the linesman gave Fulham a free kick in injury time for handball against Traore (was it him?) It was quite clear that the ball didn't go within 5 yards of Traore never mind hit his hand. It actually hit the Fulham player on the hand! Obviously we conceded from the "free kick"

I was in the front row directly in line with where the kick was taken on the touchline.....I went bonkers.....Im sure it was Graham Poll too.....enough said.....I was gutted about this for days.
  • Sponsored links:

• How about Phil Chapples bizzare own goal against Wolves up at Molineux? He actually made two attempts to clear the ball away for a corner in quick succession. The first one hit the post, the second attempt went in. Unfortunately Wolves then put a big laughing clown up on their screen, which in fairness was a fair representation of what happened, but did anger a few of us away fans at the time.

Or the time a referee was on the goal line, I think it was against Ipswich when Carl Leaburn got his hat trick. After a shot from Leaburn just inside the 18 yard box the referee strangley made a decision to try and stop the ball from going in, then realising he wasn't a player on the other team struggled to get out the way eventually letting the ball run between his legs and in. I think that one was on Question of Sport's "What happened next" as well.
  • The earlier comment about the Derby keeper at Updon Park did happen. Martin Taylor was his name and as he leant on the low wall to the North bank a group of teenagers grabbed his shoulders and pulled him into the crowd. He dazedly got up and returned to the pitch but no action was taken against the lads who'd pulled him in. I seem to remeber there'd been a bit of banter between Taylor and the crowd.

Derby won the game 2-0.
  • Two balls punctured in one FA Cup final, sorry if already been said.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Madz[/cite]Or the time a referee was on the goal line, I think it was against Ipswich when Carl Leaburn got his hat trick. After a shot from Leaburn just inside the 18 yard box the referee strangley made a decision to try and stop the ball from going in, then realising he wasn't a player on the other team struggled to get out the way eventually letting the ball run between his legs and in. I think that one was on Question of Sport's "What happened next" as well.

Ref was Paul Danson (you think yesterday's was capable of bizarre decisions) and I think it was against Notts County, first or second year back to the Valley. Quite how a referee ended up on the goal line between the posts is anyone's guess. He really was a prize prat though - wasn't he the ref who gave the first backpass decision against us, league cup game I think and Petterson had picked up when the ball had shanked wildly off someone's shins?
  • [cite]Posted By: rikofold[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Madz[/cite]Or the time a referee was on the goal line, I think it was against Ipswich when Carl Leaburn got his hat trick. After a shot from Leaburn just inside the 18 yard box the referee strangley made a decision to try and stop the ball from going in, then realising he wasn't a player on the other team struggled to get out the way eventually letting the ball run between his legs and in. I think that one was on Question of Sport's "What happened next" as well.

Ref was Paul Danson (you think yesterday's was capable of bizarre decisions) and I think it was against Notts County, first or second year back to the Valley. Quite how a referee ended up on the goal line between the posts is anyone's guess. He really was a prize prat though - wasn't he the ref who gave the first backpass decision against us, league cup game I think and Petterson had picked up when the ball had shanked wildly off someone's shins?

Palarse away.
  • Wasn't there a game against Man Utd (at Old Trafford?) in the late 80s where the ref actually got in the way of a shot of ours?
  • claus's wonder goal against man city
  • Leaburns hattrick with his feet at ipswich!
  • A friendly between Charlton and Apoel Nicosia. We won 9-0. One of the opposition had his glasses broken (or, was it two players?)
  • 1984 away to Sheff Utd...Glen Cockerill caught the ball in his own area (in front of us). Think somebody had blown a whistle in the crowd. We thought the ref was about to give a penalty but instead went for a drop ball. Drew 1-1...late headed equaliser from Flanagan from a Towner cross, Dowman OG for them! Also witnessed Dennis and his tubby chum (Marx Bros matey) gyrating to "The Wanderer" (by Status Quo) at half-time. Some things, once witnessed, you can never forget!
  • Sponsored links:

• How about when we beat man city 4-0 (think it was that time) and Claus Jensen scored from practically the halfway line when an attempted tackle ricoched off his shin and over Nicky Weaver!!

And also when friedal scored against us in the last minute with everyone thinking he's grabbed a late equaliser only for Jensen to go down the other end and win it!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Tommy Dowling[/cite]The earlier comment about the Derby keeper at Updon Park did happen. Martin Taylor was his name and as he leant on the low wall to the North bank a group of teenagers grabbed his shoulders and pulled him into the crowd. He dazedly got up and returned to the pitch but no action was taken against the lads who'd pulled him in. I seem to remeber there'd been a bit of banter between Taylor and the crowd.

Derby won the game 2-0.[/quote]

I think this also happened when Jon Vaughn came back while playing for Cambridge, he sat on that low wall to adjust his boot and some lads gently pulled him over backwards just for fun. He took it really well, although the stewards over-reacted as usual. Mark Bright repeated this story to me last year - as Vaughn had mentioned it to him when the pair met at a function earlier in 2010.
  • As for weird events - am I right in thinking we were one of the first to be penalised for the pass-back to goalkeeper rule ?

Maybe away to palarse ????
  • George Curtis of Coventry clattering Matt Tees and Matt finding himself in row A of the old stand.
  • Harry Cripps joining Charlton ... playing for us in the tournament in Tunisia against the Spanners ... and 'missing' a penalty
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]A friendly between Charlton and Apoel Nicosia. We won 9-0. One of the opposition had his glasses broken (or, was it two players?)

Blimey ... long time ago, I remember that game ... still have the programme. Didn't we play them a 2nd time in a later season?
  • edited February 2011
    Margate away ... pre-season friendly (late 70's?/early 80's?) ... masses of Charlton down there ... the bar was behind one goal at the top of the terracing and you could watch the game from the bar ... unfortunately we drank it dry by half-time.

Good day had by all and I am pretty sure a few on CL were also there.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]As for weird events - am I right in thinking we were one of the first to be penalised for the pass-back to goalkeeper rule ?

A sliced clearnce from Pitcher that the keeper picked up. Absolute bollox decision that they scored from too.

I think we drew 1-1 in the end but went out on aggregate, it was a league cup tie.
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]As for weird events - am I right in thinking we were one of the first to be penalised for the pass-back to goalkeeper rule ?

A sliced clearnce from Pitcher that the keeper picked up. Absolute bollox decision that they scored from too.

I think we drew 1-1 in the end but went out on aggregate, it was a league cup tie.

We lost 3-1 on the night and Palarse won 1-0 at The Valley. David Whyte scored in both legs.

We were also one of the first (if not the first) team to suffer from the 'goalie holding onto the ball for more than 6 seconds' rule when Pettersen was penalised in a League Cup tie v Ipswich. They scored from the indirect free kick as well, which was the only goal of the game.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]A friendly between Charlton and Apoel Nicosia. We won 9-0. One of the opposition had his glasses broken (or, was it two players?)

Blimey ... long time ago, I remember that game ... still have the programme. Didn't we play them a 2nd time in a later season?

Len Glover hat-trick. Those were the days.

As a kid it seemed that everything weird/unusual/strange/wonderful involved Charlton Athletic. The ball bursting in the Cup FInal, the 7-6 against Huddersfield, the first substitute etc. Maybe all kids think the same about their team.

I still do.