Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yeovil 0 - 1 Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• 4651 piss poor crowd tbh how many does huish park hold
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Loan window to open next week. I really hope we can get a midfield playmaker and centre half in. Two good additions now could really set us up. Well done today for a hard fought 3 points.

This run of games will help us to convince loanees from the upper leagues to come to us.. there are even glory hunters amongst players. Powell has shown that he has the potential to manage, which will ease concerns about coming. Hopefully we can get people in before the Posh come down.

However, we should not get ahead of ourselves we need to keep tight, build our goal difference which is shocking compared to the top three,the players need to continue to work hard, this time last year we were in the slump that destroyed our promotion campaign, Powell, needs to build on a great start with convincing performances before the saints double header.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Powell's lack of experience concerns me

LOL

The only things Powell doesn't have experience of as a manager is drawing and losing football matches. :-)
  • How many Charlton were there? They sounded loud for the goal. I'd got called away from the radio in the build up to the goal and came back to hear the cheers. At first I thought Yeovil had scored because it sounded so loud.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Or maybe Francis was never as bad as he was being painted by some on here.

Thats more like it but as you know we have to have a whipping boy.
  • he's better than Shaun....
  • Back home in Poole by 6.15. Woop!

Game was very wind effected; in the first half we kicked against it and really struggled to get anything going.
    Long passes invariably went astray and the ball we seemed to punt it forward too much instead of keeping it on the floor.
    That said we defended soundly on the whole; although Doc had some dodgy moments and Robbies kicking was very wayward.

Second half with the wind we came out looking like we meant business; Joe had a couple of good opportunities which he probably should have done better and he put BWP for a chance which he should have scored.
    The goal came from a corner - BWP looked like he was there to inhibit the goalie but as he peeled away nobody pick him up - a free header but a peachy one.

I honestly thought with the goal, the momentum and the wind behind us we would go on to dominate, but credit Yeovil for their response.
    Fry's slice looked an own goal all the way until Robbie flung himself at it.
    Their crowd started to get behind them as they fought to get something back; annoyingly they were screaming for penalties left, right and centre - none looked legit from our end but too far away for clear views
    Having been booked Doc should have gone for raking tackle late on - ref was immediate villain for their fans.

All in all hard fought win in difficult conditions - not a great display but enough.
  • getting the rub of the green - with the ref blowing to rule out good goal on Tuesday and a couple of penalty decisions going our way today - long may it continue.
  • I can't type very well on this phone so won't say much. Very poor first half in terms of entertainment. Picked up second but got lucky. In amongst home fans who thought they were cheated. The home fans fave CP Abuse at the end so anyone who thinks he might be too nice.. ha I can tell you from his reaction... he is quite tough.

Great day out. Had A quick chat and laugh with Mr slater. Now am back in the rose an crown singing valley Floyd road my only desire. Up the addicks. X

oh and Jim Davidson was in directors box.
  • as said above got lucky with doc decision, he should of been sent off and i think there was a handball in the box but hard to see from where we were. could of easily been 2 down by half-time, but hung on and played a lot better in the second half. the pitch was terrible though and made it a lot harder to string passes together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Powell hasn't improved his winning percentage from Leicester, Chrissy out.
  • Just got back from the game.
    Great day out, and the footy was a good part of the day.
    Third division games are such a lottery.
    Most of the games are likely to go either way as no teams have the cash to buy the better quality that for example the top five in the Prem have over the rest.
    So we have been lucky since SCP took over, but thats fine. He was never going to find 11 skillfull maestros in our squad, he was never going to deliver a new higher level of football, but he has got them heading in the right direction. Especially BWF! (Geddit?)
  • great result and pretty much what you'd expect playing a team that have lost as many games as all but two of the other pub sides in this league

grinding out these results confirms my view that we are play off bound

as i've predicted for most of this season and my call that the top 4 will be made up of brighton, soton, hudders and us stays ....

as i see it now 15% automatics 80% play off bound 5% another season of reading what a tough team nobody fc are before/during and after we play them .
  • Fantastic day out with the wife and kids ( Call me an ole romatic but it was her valentines treat :) shocking pitch cut up really bad , swirly whirly wind didn't help , 1st half - awful , 2nd half started knocking it about a bit , BWP ... what a star! saw him before the match getting off the team coach and mentioned to him 'Storming goal the other evening' shocking miss before he scored, but hey what a determined character to bounce back.This was a real nitty gritty game , with not a lot of footie going on , delighted to get the 3 points , passed the team coach on the way back , sorry Mr Powell if i woke you up tooting my horn!
  • these last two games have highlighted the importance of a goalscorer...hopefully he can stay fit
  • Never knock an away win.

Bonus points.

We must be 4th or 5th now!
  • Never knock 3 wins on the spin with clean sheets either.
  • The mention of Jim Davidson earlier in the thread has taken the gloss off the result. I really really can't stand that man. Michael Grade and Karl Howman, fine, but not bloody Jim Davidson.
  • I almost fell asleep in the first half
    the wind played a massive part in the match and so did the bad pitch ,countless misplaced passes where the wind stopped the ball short
    Chrissy Powell really knows how to get a team going for the second half ,Racon and Anyinsah didnt stop running and were our two key players today

Very long journey , not much atmosphere, but 3 points so im happy :D
  • Great win, great resilience

First half against the wind was very tough but we played sensible football. Last year in similarly harrowing conditions we got to half time 1-0 down with ten men this year when the long passes and goalkicks started going backwards we realised that getting to half time at 0-0 would see us definitely get a result and most likely all 3 points.

Rode our luck with the Doherty decision and a few hairy set pieces, not to mention Fry's scythe that Elliot did brilliantly to keep out but we looked like winners out there. Should've scored more than the result and stats suggest, the openings were there, the runs were intelligent, still that age old problem of final ball on occasion.

Even being stood up by the jokers at the taxi firm and missing our train couldn't dampen our enthusiasm!

COYR! Well done everyone. 3 wins. 3 clean sheets. Fantastic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just want to pick up on this quote from NLA on previous page: "would rather we are grinding out results going through this transition"

I wholeheartedly agree. What we need is a few close games, a few 1-0's, teach this team the value of unity in adversity and battling spirit. We don't want to be picking up "comfortable" results yet as great as they look, we cannot give anyone the impression that we can coast any game in this division... we need the players on it as if it's the last. 20 cup finals.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Jingle bells jingle bells
    Jingle all the way
    Oh what fun it is to see
    Charlton win away

Did you go then? Great day out I'm sure.
  • [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]The mention of Jim Davidson earlier in the thread has taken the gloss off the result. I really really can't stand that man. Michael Grade and Karl Howman, fine, but not bloody Jim Davidson.

Really? Do you actually know what Jim has done for the club in comparison to the other two you mention ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]The mention of Jim Davidson earlier in the thread has taken the gloss off the result. I really really can't stand that man. Michael Grade and Karl Howman, fine, but not bloody Jim Davidson.

Really? Do you actually know what Jim has done for the club in comparison to the other two you mention ?

What has Jim Davidson done for the club then?
    [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]The mention of Jim Davidson earlier in the thread has taken the gloss off the result. I really really can't stand that man. Michael Grade and Karl Howman, fine, but not bloody Jim Davidson.

• edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]

A lot. But he doesn't bang on and on about it.

Plenty on here will back me up...........

And what has Michael "I've got no money cause I never worked for Sky/News Int etc" Grade ever done?
  • HE'S BETTER THAN SHAUUUUUUUUUUUN
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]

A lot. But he doesn't bang on and on about it.

Plenty on here will back me up...........

And what has Michael "I've got no money cause I never worked for Sky/News Int etc" Grade ever done?

Yeah, what's he done exactly? Had a box for a few years in the premier league days - whoopie.
  • This is a post match thread, not one about jim davidson or michael grade. Keep comments in relation to the match please, ta
  • We have won three of our last three games, you cant do better than that. But let us not get carried away. In all three games we have been quite poor. Bradley Wright Phillips has won us two of those games by his opportunism and Seip got us started by the woeful back pass against Plymouth. We still fail to create many chances and our ball retention is poor. There are deficiences in our team which are obvious to regular viewers. I feel that when we get to play the better sides those deficiences will be exposed.