Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Girlfriend's First Game

Comments

• Good luck Addicted, the more the merrier.

Met my wife at Charlton, its great to have a shared hobby.

Make her go and sit in the East Stand though.

17 years later we still sit in different stands. Don't want to overdo it.
  • edited February 2011
    Took my missus to Welling pre season a few years back. Dire, dire game and cant even remember the score. No word of a lie she asked to move in with me the next day.

The next game she joined me at was when we hammered cardiff 4-0 at the valley and the atmosphere, football and result were top class. She has never,ever wanted to come to a football match again since.

I really don't think I will ever understand the working's of a lady's mind.
  • JTJT
    edited February 2011
    Is that true?! @ AFKA
  • edited February 2011
    No it's not, she tells him when he can and can't go which is why he missed Plymouth because she wanted to go.
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]No it's not, she tells him when he can and can't go which is why he missed Plymouth because she wanted to go.

I bet she has the remote control for the TV as well ; )
  • During the early 90's, i started seeing a girl who had a passing interest in the beautiful game (although she leaned towards to Gooner side of things). She'd never been to a "proper" match so i invited her along to watch a game. Not only did she become Addicked to the team but downright bloody obsessed with everything Charlton. I'd created a monster. I remember her crying on the phone to me when we'd sold her favourite player, Simon Webster.

Dunno if she still follows the club or got distracted by shoes and babies?
  • Taken various girlfriends over the years, only one wasn't into football at all: But when I took her, she joined in the spirit of things and enjoyed the day. She didn't ever really get in to football, had no interest in watching it on TV, but did go to a few other games as she enjoyed the live experience. My wife had a small interest in football, and had been with a previous boyfriend quite a few times, but once she started coming to The Valley got hooked and became a season ticket holder too. When she had to fly back on her own for something a couple of years ago she even went to the match while I was stuck over here...
  • My girlfriends game too..... Ooops sorry wrong website.
  • Just a note me and my girlfriend have now broken up, so I do give you a warning!
  • [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Just a note me and my girlfriend have now broken up, so I do give you a warning!
    what since your last post ? Surely not because of CAFC, if it is try wooing her back by telling her the exeter game is only a fiver!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Haha, no since Saturday. So hard to change it to ex after such a short space of time.

Tbh if try to entice her with Charlton I'll probably never see her again.
  • I took my girl 3 years ago, she's now a season ticket holder and comes every game, screaming at officials, hurling abuse at opposition players, singing all the songs and everything, she's even got 3 shirts. It's just a shame she still doesn't understand most of the actual game, is constantly on her Crackberry, insists on wearing the pink shirt she got for Christmas and loves Robbie Elliot 'because he likes pink and glee too' :-/
  • addickted............only you could do this...........why the faith ? (in ur girlfriend of course lol)...
    My girlfriend of 4 years will not do it (come to charlton that is)...I asked her to let me get her son (who you have met ) a season ticket...a resounding no was the answer!! now every home game i have to ring up and order a bloody ticket.....one things for sure i wont be asking her to come!!! lol cant take rejection !
  • I took my wife to a a home game versus Palace and she was hooked. Mistake? I don't know - we took our boys to the games as they grew up and they're both Charlton fans, so I've done my bit towards filling the Valley!
  • Could have been a shared hobby or passion. Me and hubby go to every home and a fair number of away games and both look at CL daily. I an going to Uganda in March with work and the first thing he did when hearing my dates checked fixtures , I had already done that and intend to get an overnight plane home on the Saturday morning so that I can watch CHARLTON v Dagg&red on 19th!!
  • Could have been a shared hobby or passion. Me and hubby go to every home and a fair number of away games and both look at CL daily. I an going to Uganda in March with work and the first thing he did when hearing my dates checked fixtures , I had already done that and intend to get an overnight plane home on the Saturday morning so that I can watch CHARLTON v Dagg&red on 19th!!
  • If she makes you go to the shops then it's only fair that you should force her to participate in something unpleasant that you enjoy. She might want to reflect that there are worse options.
  • I hope you smash it afterwards.

In all seriousness, I took mine to her first game last season - carling cup against Stockport when we won 4-3. She now expects a goal every ten minutes every time we go
  • edited February 2011
    First game I took my girl to was Roma Rerugia... she was shocked quite frankly .. with all the flares and them me kissing some bald italian after roma got the equaliser after being 2-0 down and down to 10 men at half time...

then she clocked up about 20 games at the valley and also the england spain game in madrid a few years back (the racism game) another eye opener as we gor pelted with coins and flags and she saw a riot guy almost great someones arm with a truncheon added ...

the charlton games were great for the most part she loved it and has a decent understanding of the game..

get her down there... get a few pints in early and hope for a win...

PS I also read the title as girlfriends first NAME my girls called Marissa but everyone calls her Missy...
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: revellinit[/cite]addickted............only you could do this...........why the faith ? (in ur girlfriend of course lol)...
    My girlfriend of 4 years will not do it (come to charlton that is)...I asked her to let me get her son (who you have met ) a season ticket...a resounding no was the answer!! now every home game i have to ring up and order a bloody ticket.....one things for sure i wont be asking her to come!!! lol cant take rejection !

Not me C, wrong spelling - but I like the lads style.

Think mine would rather stick pins in her eyes that come to football......... thank God.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]loves Robbie Elliot 'because he likes pink and glee too' :-/

She'll love me too !

Is her name Stephanie ?
  • My girlfriend gets angry when people ask her if she supports Charlton because I do - she's goes because of family tradition which dates back to her grandad and I only started when I moved to London 15 years ago.
  • edited February 2011
    Oops, got the 'girlfriend' threads mixed up.

Carry on.
  • In case she doesnt like it, book a table for after the game.

It might turn out that snooker is the sport for her.
  • Mrs Cafcfan's first match was Charlton 4 Brighton 3 Oct 1977. As the scoreline suggests, a really exciting game. That prompted her to come to the next home game which was against Spurs and we won 4-1 with a Flanagan hat-trick. She probably thought it would be like that every week. She knows different now but still has her season ticket....
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcfan[/cite]Mrs Cafcfan's first match was Charlton 4 Brighton 3 Oct 1977. As the scoreline suggests, a really exciting game. That prompted her to come to the next home game which was against Spurs and we won 4-1 with a Flanagan hat-trick. She probably thought it would be like that every week. She knows different now but still has her season ticket....

They were 2 of my favourire all time games. The Brighton game for excitement & atmosphere comes behind the Wembley play off game, but not much else.
  • i took my wife to oakwell one winter and stood on the open terrace as it snowed. she never went again and we're now divorced. charlton till i die. trying to get current partner to come to a game. she supports malmö ff and her brother runs all match day security so i've got in there for free. i watch JJ play for them a couple of seasons ago. They have flares and it all kicks off when they score and her brother sitting next to me just chuckles. Funny how he identified me as an englishmen after he saw me shout at the ref, lol. As others have said, be careful what u wish for. Not sure i'd want my misses attending boys away days!
  • i told my mrs i was taking her to the country side, i didnt have a car of my own at the time so i drove hers stopped in woolwich picked up my bruv and drove to port vale where we won 2 nil i believe the potteries was lovely at that time of year but she only saw it out of her window, she sat on the tearrace as bored shitless as anyone i have seen and didnt say much all the way back home tbh

couldnt have been too bad 16 years later we are still together
  • The Mrs was at the match yesterday, and really enjoyed the game. She loves football, having watched with her dad since she was little; so I'm lucky there. It was a great game yesterday and she has now been adopted as mascot. It was looking a bit shaky at half time but had tea and food supplies so she was happy.

Charlton 4 Brighton 3, a truly classic game, alongside 4-1 Tottenham and 4-0 against Chelsea.
  • Addicted how did you get on with the girlfriend at the match ?