Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Red Red Robin - Billy Cotton

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Ok, this has not been discussed recently.
18 months ago two of my pals were knocking our 'tune saying it was wet and shit (one Man u & one M***w***) sadly enough i agreed with them.
I'm not sure what, why or who, but this season i have really fallen in love with this song. I'm not a new supporter, its odd, but it seems important now more than ever.

whats everyone else's thought on the song? those five seconds at the start are precious times.................................

Comments

• Am used to Arse**l fans ripping up with shoot the b*st*rd after it plays.. just ignore it, it's a much better song and much less embarassing than what they play at the Emirates.

Rarely actually in pitchview by time the teams walk out these days :-(
  • Same here, have fell back in love with RRR and Charlton aswell TBH
  • edited February 2011
    Its what it is and its ours if they dont like it F them
  • I love the song, the words live, love, laugh and be happy have become part of the fabric of our club, its a celebratory anthem.

As for other clubs quite frankly I really couldn't give a flying bag of toss what they think.
  • Compared to 'let em come', 'glad all over' and 'blowing bubbles' it's a great song to play at football.
  • Agreed, I love it....its ours, and nobody can imitate it.....Id like it to start sooner and the teams run out midway through the 2 odd minutes....much better than the other crap we have endured over the Prem years, which is just cringy.
  • Man Utd don't have a song, and Millwall have "let 'em come" - who the chuff are they to take the piss - particularly the plastic Manc?
  • I don't like it - We are no longer known as the Robins - given our recent history - into the Valley or Valley Floyd Road would be far more appropriate.
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I don't like it - We are no longer known as the Robins - given our recent history - into the Valley or Valley Floyd Road would be far more appropriate.

Sorry, but I agree. This song was used in a 1926 film named 'I'll cry tomorrow'.....................lets change it!
  • edited February 2011
    I've never liked it.

But traditions say I should .

In fact I hate it
  • Sponsored links:

• Its Charlton, I sing it when the teams come out, its part of the fabric of the club along with Red Shirts, The Valley,moaning fans......
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Its Charlton, I sing it when the teams come out, its part of the fabric of the club along with Red Shirts, The Valley,moaning fans......

Booing, don't forget the booing.
  • its our song like most clubs its a bit silly but its ours
  • Not a huge fan I have to admit but not sure what you replace it with. Generic 'Two Tribes' style music is also pretty rubbish and lacks identity. Into the valley is a good shout.
  • Some people will want us to change out of red shirts next - how about a £50 surcharge on season tickets for those who don't singalong at every game!
  • don't like it, never really have done, would happily change it - but no idea what to.
  • Now, I hate Mull of Kintyre so it took me years to bring myself to sing Valley Floyd Road and I still wish they'd used another tune.

With regards to Red Red Robin, it's our song, it's been our song since before most of the current fans were born, so who are we to change it?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Now, I hate Mull of Kintyre so it took me years to bring myself to sing Valley Floyd Road and I still wish they'd used another tune.?[/quote]

The words would not fit!! ;-)
  • I look forward to the day that Led Zep's 'Kashmir' is adopted. After all we play that 'sappy muzak version on matchday's'

Any tune dates, and our's is no better no worse.

Quite what Everton fans think of the tune of 'Z cars' I have no idea...... anyway 'softly softly' was a better series.

Man Utd should have adopted Coronation street... Well there club is like a 'soap opera'.

We could 'hire' Jimi Page Henry, after all if he closed the Olympics for GB, he may well be up for the 'gig'.

'Won't get fooled again' would get my vote, at least there is a Charlton connection!
  • I love The Red Red Robin, It's a common thread linking all out home games like an indelible stamp proclaiming them as Charlton. Without it, something important would be missing.

As for Man U, they do have a tune, its the Sky Sports Theme music.
  • Sponsored links:

• you can't meddle with tradition
    long live the R R R
  • 'I'll Cry Tomorrow' was released in 1955, not 1926...
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]'I'll Cry Tomorrow' was released in 1955, not 1926...

Okay - the song was written in 1926 and the film was released in 1955! Its still very old and whenever I hear it I think that a bunch of cheeky cockney chimney sweeps should be clicking their heels dancing with Dick Van Dyke - like something from Mary Poppins! 'Into the Valley' would be a better tune for the teams to come out to - more uplifting and lively! Only my opinion though before anyone wants me publicly stoned!
  • Love it and wouldn't change it............it's even the ringtone on my mobile and make me fill with pride everytime someone calls me. :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I love The Red Red Robin, It's a common thread linking all out home games like an indelible stamp proclaiming them as Charlton. Without it, something important would be missing.

As for Man U, they do have a tune, its the Sky Sports Theme music.

So true!........
  • edited February 2011
    The Billy Cotton band recorded a special version for us, where the band members spelled out C-H-A-R-L-T-O-N at the end and concluded with a rousing 'Addicks Away!' yell. This version (which I imagine was a 78 vinyl) was played at the Valley before our forced departure, and if anybody can get a copy, or clean up an old version, then this rarity would not only be priceless to us, but should be the restored played version...surely it exists in some form somewhere.
    The bloke who wrote 'Robin' also wrote 'Try a little tenderness', know by many fron the excellent film 'Commitments', and strongly referenced in Jim Cartwrights play 'Road'. However it is the fantastic Otis Redding who recorded the definitive version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dael4sb42nI

Our song is linked to this delight, that already makes it pretty cool. The 'Robin' is also featured on the real first commercial 'talkie' ever made...not 'The Jazz Singer' as many think.
    Our song had gone past dated and for Charlton fans has entered the 'timeless' category...it's great. Consider Glad All Over or Let Em Come, and the provenance of the Red Red Robin is like a Faberge egg compared to a rotten hard boiled egg.
    Its ours, we still have our own ground, our own colours, our own song...lets leave it. A new song would only represent the fierce passion of the loudest advocate (for example I might plump for Whole Lotta Love, but that would be just me and many would hate it), the Red Red Robin had emerged organically and we should embrace it.

When the red red robin
    Goes bob bob bobbin’
    Along, along,
    There’ll be no more sobbin’
    As he keeps throbbin’
    His old, sweet song,
    Wake up, wake up, you sleepy head,
    Get up, get up get out of bed,
    Cheer up, cheer up, the sun is red,
    Live long, laugh and be happy!

What if I feel blue,
    I’ll go walking through
    Fields of flowers,
    Rain may glisten but still I listen
    For hours, and hours.
    I’m like a kid again,
    Doing what I did again,
    Singing this song,
    When the Red Red Robin
    Goes Bob Bob Bobbin’ along!
  • Love it, sung it to my babies as soon as they were born, it cannot be changed!
  • edited February 2011
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Isn't there a burger chain in America named after it ?

EDIT : Yep,Wiki page re the burger chain

Menu of said burger chain. Couldn't they do the catering at the Valley instead of Wimpy ?

Beezollocks to that...the food is utter chite if you're a vegetarian, mind you the food at the valley is utter chite for vegetarians too.
  • Seth - well said re RRR