Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Red Red Robin - Billy Cotton

13»

Comments

• This song is part of the fabric of this club and I'd hate to see it go. Reading the lyrics, don't you think they represent exactly the kind of spirit needed for following Charlton?
  • And a few of us have asked this on various threads without any response: Does anyone know when the song was first played at The Valley?
  • Nope. But I wish we'd play the Louis Armstrong version. Much better.
  • Its part of our heritage - leave it alone. Its been played at The Valley for as long as i've been going (50 years), and i hope it keeps going for another 50.
  • I wish they'd turn the volume up a bit though, you can hardly hear it in the East stand!
  • And a few of us have asked this on various threads without any response: Does anyone know when the song was first played at The Valley?

Well, it was playing in 1957 when I first went to The Valley, but I feel sure it was heard there long before that.

• edited December 2014

And a few of us have asked this on various threads without any response: Does anyone know when the song was first played at The Valley?

I can remember my grandfather telling me that an actual band used to play Red, Red, Robin on the pitch. My guess (and it is only a guess) would be late forties or early fifties although the song itself was written in the twenties so it could even have been pre war (ie thirties) in our halcyon division 1 days.

My grandfather died a year or so after my first visit to The Valley in 1963 and, as a Charlton boy himself and one time manager at Charlton Dog track, knew the likes of "Scotty" Kingsley, Harold Halse etc from the twenties, as well as future players, so went all the way back to the very beginning of our football league days.

I myself can remember dear old Dick Neve playing it over the tannoy at The Valley back in the sixties.
  • If anyone want it for a ringtone I've got an mp3 version on my pc at home if I can work out how to do it
  • wakey wakey !!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

Well, it was playing in 1957 when I first went to The Valley, but I feel sure it was heard there long before that.

LenGlover said:

And a few of us have asked this on various threads without any response: Does anyone know when the song was first played at The Valley?

I can remember my grandfather telling me that an actual band used to play Red, Red, Robin on the pitch. My guess (and it is only a guess) would be late forties or early fifties although the song itself was written in the twenties so it could even have been pre war (ie thirties) in our halcyon division 1 days.

My grandfather died a year or so after my first visit to The Valley in 1963 and, as a Charlton boy himself and one time manager at Charlton Dog track, knew the likes of "Scotty" Kingsley, Harold Halse etc from the twenties, as well as future players, so went all the way back to the very beginning of our football league days.

I myself can remember dear old Dick Neve playing it over the tannoy at The Valley back in the sixties.
  • We were certainly playing and singing it in the early 50's. Now, without prompting by me, my three grandsons, 2 x 13 year olds and 1 x 11 y.o. all sing along and I believe they think it's fun, which of course it is. LEAVE IT!
  • Live love laugh and be happy.
    For me that pretty much sums up how to look at life and also how to be a Charlton supporter.
    Just go along for the ride and enjoy it where and when you can while you can.....