Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Red Red Robin - Billy Cotton

Comments

• It's as much a part of our club as the valley itself. This will raise it's head every season as younger supporters want more up to date music. There's plenty of room for that during pre-match/HT/after the game. Don't want to see the lads entering the pitch to N-Dubz or some other 5 minute wonder.
  • Why have we started playing `london calling` at half time. They play at pre match at the new den, surely we don`t need to immitate Millwall.
  • Great idea, lets change it to some crass europop to get everyone really "pumped up".

If everyone sung along (like myself) rather than sitting down halfway through it'd be far more impressive.
  • Our tradition. Keep it forever. Loved it especially when the Billy Cotton Junior combo sang it during our promotion year. Ipswich play off?
  • I think that anyone who challenges the use of The RRR should be politely asked to wait until they have children or reach forty years old. At that point they will reconsider and realise what a foolish request they made in their youth.

If we abandonned the RRR then we would live to regret it.
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]
    When the red red robin
    Goes bob bob bobbin’
    Along, along,
    There’ll be no more sobbin’
    As he keeps throbbin’
    His old, sweet song,
    Wake up, wake up, you sleepy head,
    Get up, get up get out of bed,
    Cheer up, cheer up, the sun is red,
    Live long, laugh and be happy!

What if I feel blue,
    I’ll go walking through
    Fields of flowers,
    Rain may glisten but still I listen
    For hours, and hours.
    I’m like a kid again,
    Doing what I did again,
    Singing this song,
    When the Red Red Robin
    Goes Bob Bob Bobbin’ along!

Read that and tell me it dosn't send a shiver down your spine, and leave a lump in your throat! It's our song, ask Norwich fans if they loathe " On the ball City"?
    When people on here moan that we don't have new or original chants, maybe we should all commit these words to memory and belt it out, feel proud, not embarressed by it.

I know I do
  • I adore it.

How long have we come out to it btw?
  • [cite]Posted By: tennis60[/cite]Why have we started playing `london calling` at half time. They play at pre match at the new den, surely we don`t need to immitate Millwall.

This has been played down at the Valley for absolute donkeys of years and long may it remain.
  • London calling should be played more!!!

The RRR is our song.
    Its traditional and it is much better than these plastic clubs like arsenal,utd,man city who all run out to fatboy slim,etc.
    For a big fat bloke i will proudly sing it out every week no matter how odd i may look!
    LIVE LOVE LAUGH AND BE APPY!
  • Why do people always want to change stuff?

The badge, the tune we run out to - what next, the shirt colour, the name of the ground.

Do people really have no sense of history and tradition?
  • Sponsored links:

• If it ain't broke........
  • Of all the football songs listed here, it's the most popular.
    Last FM - Red Red Robin
  • There are enough entries on this thread to make it a good indication of majority feelings, and that means a clear victory for the Robin. We have all grown up with it and it's part of the overall experience, leave my Robin alone you young budding Rock stars or I shall cancel your pocket money !
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Of all the football songs listed here, it's the most popular.
    Last FM - Red Red Robin

... and by a long way ... interesting

Sebastian Wocker hasn't done too well ... whoever he is!
  • If the 'Robin' left the Valley it would have the same effect as the the ravens leaving the Tower of London.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ted\'s Addicksson[/cite]If the 'Robin' left the Valley it would have the same effect as the the ravens leaving the Tower of London.[/quote]

and then the Tower falls down.................
  • IMHO Should stay ....might even be better if we did get the BCB at the end with C H A R L T O N!
    Its the innocent charm of the songs message that does it for me ..i am for tradition and its a simple little message that has been passed down through generations of our supporters .In fact its one of the few things we seem to have right at the moment .."live love laugh and be happy" may also be a nice little refrain to send the supporters home with at 4.50 every 2nd saturday
  • Change the RRR, what sacrilege.

I sing it to my daughter now when I am rocking her to sleep and she looks at me like only a beautiful baby can.

The song is precious, and importantly is ours.

I too think it should be played as well at the end of the game if we win.
  • After recent performances maybe we should come out to 'send in the clowns?'
  • Balls to anyone who knocks it. The tune is part of our club.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is our song, I work with a everton fan on the rig here in oz, and when I see him he starts singing it. He thinks its a great song.

Makes me proud when I hear it,and like the fact that it is known as our song.

Its a positive message, a happy song, and that'd good enough for me.

I've found myself singing it alot more recently, gives me a pick up when I'm having a tough day on the rig.
  • [cite]Posted By: ozaddick[/cite]gives me a pick up when I'm having a tough day on the rig

LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: ozaddick[/cite]...I work with a everton fan on the rig here in oz, and when I see him he starts singing it...
    Do you whistle Z Cars for him?
  • Great song and it is 'ours', should be sung in the stands imo
  • great song ,my little little boy sings it all the time,its tradition and some things should be kept as they are .
  • always wondered why we never sing it during a match, stoke have deliah etc, would be a pretty rousing tune to lift the team and make a change from the current dull generic singing. on a side note can we PLEASE stop clapping ourselfs after vfr, doubt notts forest do after they sing it.
  • It's going nowhere
  • Not only that, he couldn't play an instrument, or read a note of music!
  • Not only that, he couldn't play an instrument, or read a note of music!

Yes, I noticed that, but it also said he played the drums in a band at one point? Perhaps the writer was making a point about drummers... :smiley: