Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton XI v Ashford United - Monday 21st Feb

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2293075,00.html

http://www.ashfordunited.co.uk/charlton-athletic-fc/

A Charlton XI will take on Ashford United next Monday (7.30pm), it has been announced.

The Addicks have agreed to take part in the game as United bid to raise funds for Maxine Alcorn-Weller, a member of staff at Ashford who has been diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Ticket prices are £6 adults and £3 U16s and seniors.

The address of the ground is Ashford Road, Kingsnorth, Ashford, Kent TN26 1NJ.

Comments

• What happened to Ashford Town?
  • Oh how the mighty have fallen. I remember when Ashford Town and Charlton played for the Kent Senior Cup or something like that and even played Fulham and Watford in the FA Cup. Now we've had to reform after going out of business.

I'll be there, as will a lot of other Ashford Addicks I'm sure. I don't know Maxine personally, but I know a few people that do. Hopefully there will be excellent support on the night.
  • Went into administration last year and had to fold. Had to drop out of the league etc, with hopes that we can now compete again next season.
  • An e-mail has been sent to all Members of Ashford & Shepway Addicks informing them of the fixture, for which we are hoping that there will be a bumper support from Charlton fans in our area. I am also, ascertaining where donations can be sent to for those who are unable to attend and will publish this on Charlton Life as soon as possible.

For everyone's information, I have taken the following from Ashford United's Website this afternoon and I am certain that it will make us all realise just how lucky we are:-

Feb
    Charlton Athletic FC
    by admin
    .Charlton Athletic FC have kindly agreed to help us raise funds for Maxine alcorn -Weller and her family. We are hoping to raise enough money to send Max and her family to Disneyland Paris and also to buy a decent car to enable Max to get to her treatment.

Maxine has been a member of Staff at Ashford since was 16 and also a personal friend of mine since she was 9. In Jan 2008 she was diagnosed with Fluid on the Brain and underwent an operation at Kings College to have a shunt put in to drain the fluid away. At this time she was also told that she had small tumours on the Brain but they were slow growing and not aggressive.

But over the last 2 and a half years, Max has undergone many operations to keep the shunt working, the tumours however have grown at an alarming rate and have become more aggressive over time. She had a course of Radiotherapy in Jan 2010 to try and halt the growth, but this did not work, Max has now started a course of Chemotherapy.

Because of where the Tumours are – right behind her eyes, Max is unable to have her illness diagnosed by a Bi-opsy, it is simply far too dangerous, she would either end up being blind or not come through the bi-opsy at all. This has meant that Max has been unable to claim for many benefits available to Cancer Patients, and Simon, her husband has had to give up work to become her full time carer.

Therefore I hope that as many of you as possible will be able to join us at The Homelands on Monday 21st Feb in our effort to raise funds for a very deserving young lady.

Entrance Fee £6.00 Adults, £3.00 Concessions, Kick off will be 7.30pm and the gates will be open at 6pm.

Charlton players will be in the main hall after the game to sign autographs.

On a personal note I would like to thank Paul Bowden-Brown and Tony Betteridge for their help & support in this.

Peter Young

UNQUOTE
  • Ashford United have now advised that there will be no advance bookings and that entrance will be through the turnstiles on the night. Any donations can be sent c/o Peter Young at Ashford United Football Club and cheques should be made payable to the beneficiary, Maxine Alcorn-Weller.

The full address for Ashford United Football Club is:-

Homelands Stadium
    Ashford Road,
    Kingsnorth,
    Ashford,
    Kent, TN26 1NJ.

Charlton supporters travelling from London and North Kent should leave the M20 at Junction 10 and take the fourth exit on the roundabout Bad Munstereifel Road (A2070) and continue on this Road until the second rounabout where they should turn left at the first exit into Romney Marsh Road. At the next roudabout by Tesco where the Romney Marsh Road becomes Ashford Road you should go straight across and Homelands Stadium is situated on the left hand side approximately 1.5 miles from the roundabout. The stadium is some 3 miles outside the Town and has plenty of parking.

Look forward to seeing as many Charlton supporters as possible supporting this most worthwhile cause.
  • I'm likely to be there, hopefully a couple of our first team are there, then I can met em after the game
  • Hopefully I can get to this one , its only round the corner from where im now living
  • edited February 2011
    I'm looking to get down to this as i went to the Seaford game earlier in the season..the ground looks a bit of a trot from the station though.Yep,i'm going to pop down for this now.
  • Quite a trot yes, you'd take about an hour to walk it. Loads of taxis to be had at the station, or you could always bum a lift off one of us locals!
  • Sponsored links:

• May I please remind everyone of this match taking place on Monday evening for a very good cause.
  • I wish the very best for Maxine.One of my employees was diagnosed with a brain tumour right behind his eye in Novenber 2009.March 2010 he was successfully operated at the Aintree Hospital in Liverpool.After further therapy he returned to work in August.He is now playing five a side football again.Apparently the Surgeons and all the staff at the Aintree hospital are fantastic.
  • Anyone got any idea who could be playing for us maybe Llera, Mambo and Worner?
    Suggestions
  • Similar to the Seaford game I'd imagine, which was a mixture of back up first team players, young pros and the better u18s.
  • What names?
  • Squad:
    Worner
    Mambo
    Fortune
    Llera
    Morris
    Bover
    Starvinou
    Solly
    Reid
    Anyinasah
    Popo

Subs:
    Jordan
    Osbourne
    Piggot
    Warren
    Harriot
    Gough
  • edited February 2011
    Former Manchester United defender Jonathan Fortune is the stand out name in the Charlton squad.

http://www.ashfordunited.co.uk

Ruben Bover. Must be one of the trialists.
  • Manchester United?

Pretty strong squad we have going down there. Should be good for the fitness levels of Fortune, Solly and Anyinsah.
  • Ruben Bover currently plays for Halesowen Town. Released by Kidderminster Harriers last year. Was on trial at Qpr in January.
  • What sort of boots does he wear?
  • Sponsored links:

• Very good Henry :)
  • [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Very good Henry :)

thanks, lost on the kids on here : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Manchester United?

Pretty strong squad we have going down there. Should be good for the fitness levels of Fortune, Solly and Anyinsah.
    I realised they have confused him with Quinton Fortune!
  • i am leaving soon on the train, does anyone no how much a taxi would be from train station to the ground? thanks
  • You're looking at about £6 I guess.

£5 if you pay me.
  • any chance i can get a lift return (will pay double)? my train gets in half 6
  • Any supporter's requiring transport from Ashford Station, please contact me via ashfordandshepwayaddicks@talktalk.net before 6.45pm.
  • Our team is

Worner
    Solly
    Morris
    Stavrinou
    Mambo
    Bover
    Warren
    Wagstaff
    Popo
    Harriott
    Someone else