Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Well done to all the staff that promoted and worked late to shift the tickets.

The only real positive from today (bar Jenkinson who did well).

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Well done to all the staff that promoted and worked late to shift the tickets.

Fantastic effort all round. Just a shame that the players didn't see to appreciate it. If the sight of the stands full doesn't inspire them, what will?.

Incidently, I didn't think the atmosphere was much better today. Long periods of silence in the 1st half.

1000+ from Exeter is a cracking turnout as well. Shame the mugs at that back thought it clever to try and mix it with the mums and dads in the South Stand.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Well done to all the staff that promoted and worked late to shift the tickets.

Rick must be pulling his hair out, both of them!
  • 24,767 and it didn't make a difference to the atmosphere!
  • [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]24,767 and it didn't make a difference to the atmosphere!

Can't agree with that. Very nice atmosphere in west lower, regulars talking at length to the newcomers and long-time absentees, and appreciation of our good play and tolerance of our bad play by everyone.
  • Atmosphere was flat, but what did you expect ? Did see many new and old Charlton faces - which was great to be honest. Needs consistency to get the Valley really rocking. Unfortunately can't see that happening with what happened today......Already had a Palace fan gloating.
  • Fantastic turnout for this level of football. Just goes to show the potential that's there.

Thought the atmosphere was better too.
  • Fantastic effort. Atmosphere wasn't great but the blame for that must fall squarely on the team.
  • edited February 2011
    I thought the crowd was doing well at the start, the players didn't really give us much to respond to in the first half, and gradually it died away, in the second half when the players did or tried anything good the crowd were well up for responding. I think the players thought the crowd would play the game for them first half, and they could sail to a win on the back of an intimidated Exeter, and if I am right then the players read it wrong. If the team had tried harder from the off, played with more speed and effort, then together the crowd and players could have done their job.
    Airman has worked wonders in getting such a crowd in, wonders...and he, and those of us who responded to AFKA's suggestion that we get people in, were let down.
    We were let down by the 443...no exciting flying wing play near the crowd to build something, let down by quite poor performances by nearly all of the players, let down by stupid errors, let down by simple lack of effort too.
    The attendance was fantastic, but the team blew it, and they could have been so much better if they had simply worked a bit harder, and had some real focus.
    When mcOxo beat the pitch in frustration, bewailing his fate, and poutingly indicating that it all 'wasn't fair ref', that did it for me, I wanted to say get up and play man, make something happen by trying, and if it doesn't work first time go again and again, don't rage about things, the whole team could've done with realising they had a big responsibility.
    I wonder if we will ever be able to pull off the promotion we had today again...once bitten and all that.
    Well done Airman, you were probably our best player.
  • TBF the atmosphere was flat as the first half yet again was a non event.
  • Great attendance

The other six games in our division today were watched by a total of 32,727 people.

Yes... £5 promotion or no £5 promotion we were 7,960 short of making up 50% of the entire league's attendance today (albeit only 7 games were played and Southampton and Huddersfield were away)

Even without the promotion we would probably have doubled the next placed attendance - 7,923 at Dean Court

2,620 at Hartlepool today.... this division is amazing! (and not in a good way)
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't blame the players.Doubt half of them have played in front of more than 15,000 before.Stage fright!!
  • They'll be happy today then eh
  • Got to feel for the board, £5 ticket promotion, get bums on seats promote £50 off STs and we get mugged 3-1.
  • Took a 7 year old today to his first game. Chelsea supporter. He walked away ( after the penalty ) saying "that was great, I'm going to support Charlton now."
  • Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit masicat hope he's not using it ;o)

Heard a lady next to me with her carer asked if she'd come again (at 0-0) and replied yeah, which was nice to hear... somewhat surprising... huge shame about the result. felt real sad :(
  • Doc,Dailly,Jackson and BWP are the only players used to playing on a big stage.
    Maybe Ecclestone too, but the rest of our squad are no marks and it shows when it matters.
  • masicat - great stuff that's exactly what we wanted

Graet turnout, everyone connected ought to be proud of the turnout. I thought the atmosphere was much improved and the crowd stayed with the team which was good.
  • [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]Took a 7 year old today to his first game. Chelsea supporter. He walked away ( after the penalty ) saying "that was great, I'm going to support Charlton now."

If you let him it will ruin his life,the next stage will be signing him up to CL.
  • Not yet, when he got home he told his mum everyone was tired because in the car coming home nobody spoke to him. He was full of it, and of the opinion Charlton had won.
    Will have to break it to him that we were the team in the red. Then see if he keeps yapping excitedly when were all in a bad mood. Ha Ha.....
  • Not sure if this is correct or a silly idea, but the board should do another £5 entry before the end of season. I'm sure it prob will not have such an impact in numbers as today did but it will at least be close.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Not sure if this is correct or a silly idea, but the board should do another £5 entry before the end of season. I'm sure it prob will not have such an impact in numbers as today did but it will at least be close.

Agree they should do it, but I would expect a much lower crowd 18,000?
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Great attendance

The other six games in our division today were watched by a total of 32,727 people.

Yes... £5 promotion or no £5 promotion we were 7,960 short of making up 50% of the entire league's attendance today (albeit only 7 games were played and Southampton and Huddersfield were away)

Even without the promotion we would probably have doubled the next placed attendance - 7,923 at Dean Court

None of which has any relevance when the players can't keep the crowd in the stadium or encourage them to come back next game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Not sure if this is correct or a silly idea, but the board should do another £5 entry before the end of season. I'm sure it prob will not have such an impact in numbers as today did but it will at least be close.

Erm, I think around 20k still at least.
  • the crowd didn't boooo at ht and we came out and lost

there were a few boooos last week at ht and the team came out with an improved performance and we won

so maybe it does help
  • [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]Not yet, when he got home he told his mum everyone was tired because in the car coming home nobody spoke to him. He was full of it, and of the opinion Charlton had won.
    Will have to break it to him that we were the team in the red. Then see if he keeps yapping excitedly when were all in a bad mood. Ha Ha.....
    My kid had a season ticket for a couple of years before I even mentioned the fact that we were playing other teams. I just said we're going to watch Charlton.
  • [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Not sure if this is correct or a silly idea, but the board should do another £5 entry before the end of season. I'm sure it prob will not have such an impact in numbers as today did but it will at least be close.

Erm, I think around 20k still at least.

Hope you are right.
  • [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Great attendance

None of which has any relevance when the players can't keep the crowd in the stadium or encourage them to come back next game.

I didn't realise it had to. I was of the belief that this thread was in relation to the attendance/
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]Not yet, when he got home he told his mum everyone was tired because in the car coming home nobody spoke to him. He was full of it, and of the opinion Charlton had won.
    My kid had a season ticket for a couple of years before I even mentioned the fact that we were playing other teams. I just said we're going to watch Charlton.

brilliant!
  • edited February 2011
    Best we stop creaming ourselves about being able to give tickets away when the team and / or leader can't do their bit and retain the supporters' interest.
  • [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Best we stop creaming ourselves about being able to give tickets away when the team and / or leader can't do their bit and retain the supporters' interest.

so we are not allowed to comment that it is pretty impressive that we got nearly 25k through the gate today

or not allowed to praise the work of those who were behind the incentive or worked hard to make it happen?