Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kyel Reid

Comments

• Options
    I'd start Reid tomorrow. If he's gonna make good this season, being up against Danny Butterfield tomorrow is a good place to start.
  • Options
    KReidy11 Kyel Reid
    @eyt123 contracts up end of season pal, not happy at all. Tell about it every team must be happy to see my name not in starting 11

so he rates himself then
  • Options
    TBF he has hardly helped himself when he has played last few months.

Still think we could get more out of him though.
  • Options
    If a player has lost his place in the 1st XI, then they will know they have to bust a gut in training to impress that they are worth starting. Then they have to put in a worthwhile match performance to keep their place.

And that's down to attitude.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]If a player has lost his place in the 1st XI, then they will know they have to bust a gut in training to impress that they are worth starting. Then they have to put in a worthwhile match performance to keep their place.

And that's down to attitude.

And lets be honest, when he plays he rarely looks like a player hungry to win his place back. I can't remember what game it was, but earlier on in the season there was a game where we were looking for a goal in the final minutes, and we had lots of chances to get that goal. Reid had a good shot from the edge of the area blocked, there was a scramble and it was poked behind for a corner, added time was nearly up and we needed a good ball into the box. Up stepped Kyel Reid.......... and his inswinging corner went off the pitch almost straight away, didn't even trouble the side netting and had people in the NL ducking for cover. That one memory for me sums up his season this year.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd be amazed if he gets a game at Championship level.

In my opinion he has been poor just about every time he has played this season. If he's contract is up I'd be happy to let him go.

He didn't do anything at West Ham; Sheff Utd were happy to let him leave for free, and they have hardly pulled any trees up this season; Parkinson looked to have given up on him by the time he went; and Powell seems to have run out of patience with him now.

Sooner or later he will realise that not everyone else is wrong or, of course, he will disappear down the leagues or to the conference, where he will probably keep believing that he is too good for the team he can't get into.

I don't think there is any room for that attitude in the 3rd division.
  • Options
    Predictable that we get round to slagging off everyone in our entire squad without questioning the lack of system or organisation in the side. CP was brought in and his first promise was to "improve the players we have". Less than two months later we have tales of mass clearouts but no sign of changes to our system. Rochdale manager would have killed for our squad in August. Benno transfer is probably more than they've spent in their history.
  • Options
    To be fair Reid was underperforming before Powell came in with his wealth of experience.
  • Options
    Anybody feel sorry for Reid? Seems committed to the cause..
  • Options
    played well for about 15 minutes this season

got his contract and done bugger all with it... poor effort, average physical condition compared to last season, big time charlie attitude

he can do one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]played well for about 15 minutes this season

got his contract and done bugger all with it... poor effort, average physical condition compared to last season, big time charlie attitude

he can do one

Agree
  • Options
    didn't make the bench tonight. Flatters to deceive. He can leave as we have Harriott anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]didn't make the bench tonight. Flatters to deceive. He can leave as we have Harriott anyway.

The time has come to stop dismissing talented players in this way. The same was said about Jerome Thomas and Ambrose to name but two. Perhaps it's time we looked at ourselves as a club rather than the players. Why can we never get the best out of such players, whilst they invariably go on to thrive at other clubs?
    I also think it's very unreasonable to judge a players season when he's only played the odd 15 minutes here and there and has not had a prolonged run in a settled team.
    We will never progress as a club until we start rectifying the cause of why players like Reid are not performing to their true ability. The downward spiral will continue so long as we keep offloading our most talented players whilst bringing in 4th rate "donkeys" to replace them. If Powell wants to make any progress he will need to identify the best players and start building the squad around them.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]didn't make the bench tonight. Flatters to deceive. He can leave as we have Harriott anyway.[/quote]

Only seen Harriot warming up and don't make judgements on warm ups!! Is he any good, and is he ready? Powell said he was not ready! (Nasty snipe about Powell deleted!!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]didn't make the bench tonight. Flatters to deceive. He can leave as we have Harriott anyway.

The time has come to stop dismissing talented players in this way. The same was said about Jerome Thomas and Ambrose to name but two. Perhaps it's time we looked at ourselves as a club rather than the players. Why can we never get the best out of such players, whilst they invariably go on to thrive at other clubs?
    I also think it's very unreasonable to judge a players season when he's only played the odd 15 minutes here and there and has not had a prolonged run in a settled team.
    We will never progress as a club until we start rectifying the cause of why players like Reid are not performing to their true ability. The downward spiral will continue so long as we keep offloading our most talented players whilst bringing in 4th rate "donkeys" to replace them. If Powell wants to make any progress he will need to identify the best players and start building the squad around them.

Well said that man, you have hit the nail on the head.A number of players seem to see us as a nice comfortable club where they can pick up their wages for the minimum of effort. I am sure Powell has recognised them and will ship them out in the summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

Only seen Harriot warming up and don't make judgements on warm ups!! Is he any good, and is he ready? Powell said he was not ready! (Nasty snipe about Powell deleted!!)

Harriot is an extremely gifted footballer with a good left foot, burst of speed, powerful shot and fine dribbling ability. Whether he is ready there is only one way to find out, play him.
  • Options
    Charltonised. Wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up next season scoring plenty of goals and getting assists for another L1 club.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]

agreed , reidy has been charltonised!

edited **JT beat me to it
  • Options
    is it "Charltonised" or "Charlton Eyes"?

Maybe some of us don't see the talent of certain players but only their faults (real and imagined) so are surprised when they use those talents profitably elsewhere.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]is it "Charltonised" or "Charlton Eyes"?

Maybe some of us don't see the talent of certain players but only their faults (real and imagined) so are surprised when they use those talents profitably elsewhere.[/quote]

Have you asked yourself why they use they talents elsewhere rather than with us. It's called being charltonised mate!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]is it "Charltonised" or "Charlton Eyes"?

Maybe some of us don't see the talent of certain players but only their faults (real and imagined) so are surprised when they use those talents profitably elsewhere.

Have you asked yourself why they use they talents elsewhere rather than with us. It's called being charltonised mate!

Maybe but those players that were labelled "useless", "lazy", "non-league" didn't suddenly become good players overnight when they left us. The ability was always there but some choose not to see it. That's why other managers at higher ranked clubs bought them, "Charlton Eyes"
  • Options
    I think you are putting the cart before the horse Henry.
    Take Ambrose as an example; I think the majority could see he was a gifted player.
    What frustrated and annoyed was his apparent inability to dominate a game as our most creative player; but rather to always be a peripheral figure who flattered to deceive and regularly went missing.
    Whether that was down to him or the management/coaching staff is arguable but he was certainly Charltonised, as there was no question he did not deliver.
    Our eyes did not deceive us.
  • Options
    Played for a contract, and has dialed it in ever since
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]I think you are putting the cart before the horse Henry.
    Take Ambrose as an example; I think the majority could see he was a gifted player.
    What frustrated and annoyed was his apparent inability to dominate a game as our most creative player; but rather to always be a peripheral figure who flattered to deceive and regularly went missing.
    Whether that was down to him or the management/coaching staff is arguable but he was certainly Charltonised, as there was no question he did not deliver.

Yes, they did. Because his goal scoring record and the fact that he was most effective when played in the middle in a 4-4-1-1 (Ipswich at home) was ignored and his failings were all put down to him being gay and/or lazy.

Lo and behold Warnock plays him in a 4 -4-1-1 and he does well and carries on scoring goals just as he did for us. Yes, Warnock had the sense to play to his strengths and avoid his terrible defending but that is the player he is. As I said some ignored his talents and focused only on his faults (which do exist) and they were surprised when he thrived elsewhere. Not me but that's cos I'm not looking with Charlton Eyes.

Omozusi is another. "worst Charlton player ever" according to some. Doing well enough for Orient and may even make the play-offs this season. Charlton Eyes again.
  • Options
    I see Andy Gray got mentioned earlier. Believe me, having seen him play for Sunderland, he got charltonised long before he joined you!
  • Options
    I still think your "Charlton eyes" are rose-tinted.
    You may have seen something in Ambrose (I'm sure most did) but I'd contend he didn't deliver in Charlton shirt
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]I think you are putting the cart before the horse Henry.

Yes, they did. Because his goal scoring record and the fact that he was most effective when played in the middle in a 4-4-1-1 (Ipswich at home) was ignored and his failings were all put down to him being gay and/or lazy.

Lo and behold Warnock plays him in a 4 -4-1-1 and he does well and carries on scoring goals just as he did for us. Yes, Warnock had the sense to play to his strengths and avoid his terrible defending but that is the player he is. As I said some ignored his talents and focused only on his faults (which do exist) and they were surprised when he thrived elsewhere. Not me but that's cos I'm not looking with Charlton Eyes.

Omozusi is another. "worst Charlton player ever" according to some. Doing well enough for Orient and may even make the play-offs this season. Charlton Eyes again.

To be fair Ambrose did play well when given the role he is good at. However we didn't have the set up to accomodate him in that role. In the end it was a case of him leaving and performing elsewhere (which didn't surprise me) or us changing our playing staff to accomodate him. We just didn't pay to his strengths.

However, I would say that there is more to it than that. He has been allowed to play in his chosen role at Palace but their successes haven't matched his. In other words he can score goals and look really good in a losing side, but can the set up he thrives in be successful? That could well explain why he was never a success for us.
  • Options
    We were (well, are) on a downward spiral, no surprise players like Ambrose didn't perform in a team struggling which is usually weakened with each transfer window.

Didn't help that Pardew built an unbalanced squad. Players like Ambrose and Thomas need solid players around them. Pardew tried to play too many of them together.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Agreed, it's about recognising and then utilising a player's strengths. We failed miserably in this respect with Ambrose, Varney and Lisbie, all of whom suffered at the hands of the Valley boo boys, because the respective managers failed to utilise their talents to the full. Waggy I fear could be next if we continue to play him out wide rather than more central .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]I still think your "Charlton eyes" are rose-tinted.
    You may have seen something in Ambrose (I'm sure most did) but I'd contend he didn't deliver in Charlton shirt

No, he didn't deliver in a Charlton shirt consistently enough but most didn't see ANYTHING in Ambrose and repeatedly said so.

He wasn't Charltonised, he just was what he was when we bought him but people couldn't see that.

It's not rose tinted, it's balanced. Charlton Eyes are the opposite of Rose-tinted ie every player is bad, lazy, poor attitude, lacks talent and fight/passion and that is because they play for us and some mythical "Charltonised" process.