Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Slattery

edited January 2022 in General Charlton
Heard bad news today, old charlton ace chris slattery died last tuesday. Old lewis coaches traveller and sorely missed

Comments

• Options
    rip
  • Options
    Terrible news, Chris was my godfather and had been very ill for a long time.

Was living in Lowerstoft I think, I know my mum still keeps in touch with his wife Barbara.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    True Charlton legend from my early away days RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Chris. Remember him well from my seventies Lewis away days.
  • Options
    That's sad news, he was a really great bloke, one of the 'old school'...

RIP
  • Options
    Old school charlton... will be greatly missed RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is really sad news, it was Chris who took me to my first Charlton game back in 1968. I have a picture of him in an old copy of Voice of The Valley along with a photo of the coach travellers on an away trip to Middlesborough Nov 1970. He never knew that I became a real fan and that now my husband daughters and grandchildren all have season tickets - Thank You Chris for taking a little 12 year old girl to The Valley x
  • Options
    RIP Chris. Always looked up to him when I was boy travelling to away games. Chris Slattery was always there.
  • Options
    Sad news indeed a legend to us oldies.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP chris
  • Options
    Didn't know him, but the comments speak for themselves. RIP
  • Options
    Sad news.

I knew Chris very well all throughout the 70s, first as a regular on the Lewises away coach with his wife Barbara - then when we formed LAC Rovers. Along with his brother Tony, we played football together for several seasons in the Woolwich & District League; Chris was our centre back and skipper, and his wholehearted style took no prisoners.

As others will know, Chris was a real character and brought colour to every away trip.
    It's brought back a flood of memories.

Thinking of his family too.
  • Options
    RIP. the man with the many scarfs.
  • Options
    Very sad news!!

RIP
  • Options
    Always stood in the same spot in the covered end with his gang, half-way down the covered end, stayed there with his scarves on when Millwall and Chelsea visited etc. His wife was a real sort if I remember rightly.

RIP
  • Options
    R.I.P Chris a real cafc charcter. You will be missed mate but the storys of you will live on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    R.I.P Thanks for the memories Chris.....
  • Options
    R.I.P
  • Options
    RIP Chris. Remember him protecting us snotty nosed kids away at Birmingham.
  • Options
    Has anyone got a picture of Chris that they could put up? I probably know him by sight. I would just like to put a face to the name.

RIP
  • Options
    VM Chris was a bit of a lump, had a tash ,loads of scaves hanging off a belt with loads of badges on and as indicated above was with a lady who was a bit of a looker.

If you ever went to an away game in the 70z you would have stood somewhere near him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: h[/cite]RIP Chris. Remember him protecting us snotty nosed kids away at Birmingham.
    Remember that well, must have been outnumbered 50/1 but still had a go...
  • Options
    I haven't seen Chris for over 30 years, but will always remember him as a larger than life character and a fervent Charlton supporter. RIP old friend.
  • Options
    i am an old LAC rovers man and i remember Chris as a fan and footballer fondly ....agreed he took no prisoners on the pitch or on the training ground!but he loved our club ,whatever you d be doind youd want him on YOUR side ....an old memory for me but my sincerest condolences to his family ,his passing is a reminder to us all of our own mortality
  • Options
    H was that the Birmingham game where we won 4-3 and they attacked our fans at the end? i vaguely remember him!Very sad news RIP Chris!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]H was that the Birmingham game where we won 4-3 and they attacked our fans at the end? i vaguely remember him!Very sad news RIP Chris!

As far as I remember, yes. In the ground, some 'brave' Brummie threw a cup of tea at Chris from the other side of the fence. He was not happy - and wanted to dismantle the fence first and then the fan.