Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Leyton Orient | 2 April 2011 | Match Preview, Poll, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited March 2011 in General Charlton
When a 2-0 defeat to Rochdale is greeted with more positives than negatives by watching supporters you know that apathy levels have reached an all time high with the ‘Addickted’. We all know the season is well and truly written off and probably was after a packed Valley failed to rouse the troops back on February 19 against Exeter. We have all been hoping to see signs of improvement going into the 11/12 season yet we have only seen this in ten minute spurts or the odd games (Southampton and apparently Rochdale).

Chris Powell and his team will need to have a storming start to the new season (and quick movement in the transfer window at season’s end) to change the opinions of those who love, yet worry about his tactical nous in the crazy world of football management. That being said I’m sure supporters would like to see a grand finale to this season to at least give us all a little bit of respite and hope going into the summer.

A home game against Leyton Orient offers the next opportunity for Chris Powell to show us he is the man for the job but having won three of their last five away games and scoring nine goals in the process it’s not going to be an easy ride for a team seemingly devoid of confidence and full of nerves. Both Bessone and Solly will look to continue to improve their match fitness in the full back berths with Dailly and Llera being the shaky plugs in central defence.

Tottenham-loanee Parrett seems to be improving game by game and an improved attitude and application from Racon means his place is assured. The most obvious replacement in midfield would be @NE39 for Wagstaff and a home game may be the right time for this change to happen.

Glass man Anyinsah looks to be out with yet another injury putting his chances of a contract renewal on thin ice, and with Nouble still doubtful, the well rested Paul Benson will be hoping to transfer his decent away goalscoring record on the road to Floyd Road alongside Bradley Wright Phillips.

We so desperately need a win to release the pressure valve a little around the place. Something has to click soon, even just by the law of averages. 2-0.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• Options
    two local boozers up against each other can't see anything but a ding-dong win for us

2-0 and we still don't sing
  • Options
    0-2. Performance level back to the norm.

No win till pre-season when our premiership squad will smash local rivals Welling Utd 1-0.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They just got thumped so will be after a response and we all know if a team needs to bounce back what better place to do it than The Valley.

That said it sounded like we were unlucky Tuesday. Still don't fancy our chances though, think we'll lose 2-1 with them scoring a late winner
  • Options
    I'm going to the game!!! So they had better put on a performance as its the first visit for me in 2 years!!
    2-1 addicks and nothing less than a win will be acceptable for my drive back home again!!

Agree NE should start in place of Waggy and if Joe is out again lets see what Benno can do.....hope we have a half decent atmosphere.....cant wait!!

Roll on Saturday!! Wonder if I can do a match thread from the ground!!!
  • Options
    Hard-fought 3-1 win. NE in for Wagstaff - but Waggy off the bench at 70mins. Benson in for egg-shell Joe. Try a start for Stewart with Semedo getting a rest.
  • Options
    3-1.
    Benson, BWP and @NE39. He will then gloat on twitter for days but none of us will mind too much.
  • Options
    1-2 Hope I'm wrong!

Not going! Would rather take my young daughter out instead to Chislehurst Caves.
  • Options
    A narrow 2-1 win. Orient's form has dropped recently and they're coming off that back of a 5-1 thumping at home. A good, even match but Charlton to sneak it with a late Benson goal. Tempted to say Semedo to score the opener...
  • Options
    I wonder if Semedo will be dropped for Stewart?
  • Options
    I'm
    Not feeling any good vibes for Saturday but i will still be there. 1-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1 defeat.
    Benson in for cottoneye wool joe.
  • Options
    A fortuitous 2 - 1 win against a side that has over-achieved since Christmas but finally appears to be running out of steam. They'll huff and puff but not get the rub of the green and we'll win it with a couple of moments of class from Parrett, Twitterston or BWP amidst an otherwise dreary performance.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sometimes positives can be gained from a defeat. If we win consecutive games with a big slice of fortune you know that at some point you will lose games too. The same applies if you create chances like we did at Rochdale - easily enough to win the game but don't get the breaks. So whilst some can say we have taken 2 steps back after 1 forwards - I feel on reflection that we do have something to build on for Saturday. I am looking for us to be more of a force in games - not play 2nd fiddle as we did against D&R and there are some small signs we might be slowly heading in the right direction.

The Orient bubble seems to have burst and their last result will have knocked their confidence so our lack of confidence should be less of an issue as both teams ought to have that problem. We are clearly not as bad as our record suggests although I'm not going to claim we are good! The law of averages suggests Saturday is a win - but I'll be looking for a performance too, which I have a strange feeling we might get.

3-0 and something for Chrissy to build on.
  • Options
    another game in the 'couldn't care either way' list.....we'll probably win this one
  • Options
    For me got excruiatingly boring 0-0 draw written all over it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I wonder if Semedo will be dropped for Stewart?
    What have we got to lose by giving Stewart a start in the middle? We know exactly what Semedo can and can't do, so let's have a change and see what Stewart can offer.
  • Options
    After predicting wins for the majority of the season, I seem to now be predicting draws - would like to see us win this. Could this be the game when it all comes together and we comprehensively turn a team over?
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Can't really see where a win will come from looking at the run in and only 10 points above the dreaded drop really can't see us winning another game 1-3 orient
  • Options
    Admire the optimism of the 64% so far.

Im going for a fantastic, spirited, determined performance that I am told Rochdale was.

Oh and the same result 0-2, roll on May...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please let this run end. Addicks to win.
  • Options
    1-3
  • Options
    I was visited in the night by a holy vision of the Lord (Curbs) with tidings of great joy.

"Fear not Grumpy" he said.

"Tell the lonely doubters on Charlton Life and the soothsayers at Ladbrokes that Saint Chris of Powellshire is my chosen one and the sun shall shine on you all once more this coming Saturday.

"Saint Chris had been banished by the Charlton Gods to the barren land of despair and suffered sorely for 40 days and 40 nights, without even the simple comfort of clean sheets."

"Now Saint Chris can return to the flowered garden of SE7 having cleansed his soul of evil like McOxo and young upstarts like Jenkinson. Saint Chris thought these were of the chosen people but verily I say unto you, they were just light-weight fairies with good agents. Saint Chris has now seen the light and miracles will be free of charge to all season ticket holders henceforth."

"There will be no more gnashing of teeth in the North West Quadrant" he told me.

" It will be 3-0 to Charlton and put a quid on for me" he added before disappearing out the window in a ghostly vapour.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]I was visited in the night by a holy vision of the Lord (Curbs) with tidings of great joy.

"Fear not Grumpy" he said.

"Tell the lonely doubters on Charlton Life and the soothsayers at Ladbrokes that Saint Chris of Powellshire is my chosen one and the sun shall shine on you all once more this coming Saturday.

"Saint Chris had been banished by the Charlton Gods to the barren land of despair and suffered sorely for 40 days and 40 nights, without even the simple comfort of clean sheets."

"Now Saint Chris can return to the flowered garden of SE7 having cleansed his soul of evil like McOxo and young upstarts like Jenkinson. Saint Chris thought these were of the chosen people but verily I say unto you, they were just light-weight fairies with good agents. Saint Chris has now seen the light and miracles will be free of charge to all season ticket holders henceforth."

"There will be no more gnashing of teeth in the North West Quadrant" he told me.

" It will be 3-0 to Charlton and put a quid on for me" he added before disappearing out the window in a ghostly vapour.

dream on :-)
  • Options
    Well, I'm going for a win but only because of the apparant better performance last Tuesday. My only worry is CP's inability to get a win. Last Tuesday, for example, we should have won but just weren't tight enough so we let in 2 sloppy goals. Is he learning?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]another game in the 'couldn't care either way' list.....we'll probably win this one

Of course you care. Deluding yourself.
  • Options
    7 v 4 to them

or nil nil
  • Options
    gotta drop Jose and start with Stewart alongside Parrett. Don't know if Stewart is good enough BUT he needs to play the next eight games for us to find out. We know what Jose can do so can't see the point in continuing to play him. If we can get Parrett for next season they could be a good pairing. If Smokin' Joe isn't available then start BWP and Benno. Benno was up for it Tuesday and looked really sharp. Has a point to prove.

Play like we did against Saints and Rochdale and we'll win. Play like we did against Dag and Red and we'll lose.

I predict a 3-0 win.