Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol R 2 - 2 Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    The only things Powell did wrong today were;

Not to work out that the best chance of holding on to the lead with 10 men was not go down to nine (Semedo was a 2nd booking waiting to happen, irrespective of how well the ref did).

And getting sent off himself. Yes it shows passions and all that but poor behaviour at the top will filter down and our disciplinary record needs to improve next season.

PS: A Charlton player told me afterwards that the bench were considering taking Semedo off because he was feeling ill. We've got to be more decisive with our subs and not dither. It may well have cost us a win today.
  • Options
    I Got back about 2 hours ago and having just read this thread i agree with those who went, we would have won easily,but the 2nd sending off changed everything, Fanny Fanackapan/simonsen are right about the ref and chris powell was just frustrated even more by the decisions against us.
    They really didn't have much of a threat up front and even with us down to 9 men and the ref behind them we defended and held our own.
    Great support from us and Rovers were terrible and will probably go down,the goalie LOGAN took plenty of stick in the 2nd half,with 6 minutes of added time they struggled.
  • Options
    Purely from the highlights it seems we were very unlucky, I really don't see what Jose did wrong. Reid to me looked like he accidentally overdid it but I can see why it was given, no real complaints with that. There's progress being made but Powell, Slater and co are going to have to speed up that process if next season is going to be a massive improvement on this one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]Purely from the highlights it seems we were very unlucky, I really don't see what Jose did wrong. Reid to me looked like he accidentally overdid it but I can see why it was given, no real complaints with that. There's progress being made but Powell, Slater and co are going to have to speed up that process if next season is going to be a massive improvement on this one.

yes but i think the progress will hopefully come from some astute buys in the summer; there's clearly only so much that can be done with this current squad.....at least he's got them quite literally fighting!!
  • Options
    Views based on BBC highlights, Reid's tackle looked clumsy rather than malicious but you cannot do that on a yellow card. Semedo's "elbow" yellow card was shocking and as for the handball, we may as well pack up and go home.

Even more hilarious - Claridge and Rosenior praising the technique for the equaliser and praising their cheating player-manager for his hard work. You couldn't make it up.

Hope Bristol Rovers get relegated and don't come back, have had enough of them.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Views based on BBC highlights, Reid's tackle looked clumsy rather than malicious but you cannot do that on a yellow card. Semedo's "elbow" yellow card was shocking and as for the handball, we may as well pack up and go home.

Even more hilarious - Claridge and Rosenior praising the technique for the equaliser and praising their cheating player-manager for his hard work. You couldn't make it up.

Hope Bristol Rovers get relegated and don't come back, have had enough of them.

I can't believe they didn't mention it was handball. A 5 year old could see it was handball.
    If it was reversed, say we handballed and got a 3rd to ensure relegation for Rovers, we would never hear the end of it. Those clowns would still be banging on it about it now. Poor little Rovers, that naughty big club came and cheated.
    Roles reversed and we get f*ck all.
    Unbelievable.
    Both 2nd yellows looked soft.
    B*llocks to that ref.
  • Options
    just watched the bbc highlights. surely that's got to be some kind of wind up for semedo's sending off?

i was looking for beadle then i remembered he's dead.
  • Options
    [Even more hilarious - Claridge and Rosenior praising the technique for the equaliser and praising their cheating player-manager for his hard work. You couldn't make it up.

The fact they praised the bloke goal was laughable.Are the blind or just plain retarded ?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]...Reid's tackle looked clumsy rather than malicious but you cannot do that on a yellow card. Semedo's "elbow" yellow card was shocking and as for the handball, we may as well pack up and go home...
    Having watched several times on the tele I agree 100%. Reid was running full tilt and caught him with his foot up at an awkward angle, but if you watch in slow motion you can see him trying to pull up before he gets to the man. Nothing deliberate or spiteful, just unfortunate. The ref was right with the second yellow, it wasn't a straight red.

As for the handball you'd be hard pressed to ever see a more blatant one. It beggars believe that out of one professional commentator, two pundits and a link man not one of them would notice that this 'goal' was just plain wrong.

handball.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]just watched the bbc highlights. surely that's got to be some kind of wind up for semedo's sending off?

i was looking for beadle then i remembered he's dead.

You are absolutely right. That bloke ran into Semedo's arm and then threw himself on the floor. If anyone should have been sent off it should be that diving cheat. I really do hope the club appeals, but we'll probably only get into more trouble being the most frivolous club in the country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Campbell reiterated: "The lad clearly elbowed me."

Can I have some of what this cheating cretin, Rosenior, Claridge, the entire BBC production staff and most of all the "referee" have been smoking please?

How on earth can this season descend into any more of a farce?

I have no idea at the moment but from 3pm onwards tomorrow in SE7, we might just find out.
  • Options
    Was at the game and still in Bristol. Gotta say not just the performance but the way the 11 and then the 9 fought for a draw was good to see from a fans point of view. As you would expect going down to 9 men its going to be all them and it was but although we let 2 in one being handball we stood our ground well and fought for the draw. End of the day happy with the boys in red
  • Options
    Ive got to the point where I am irrational ... I just want to celebrate a win ... We are cursed have been fir years and I expect to continue until I can extricate myself from this parallel universe where the team I support is utter rubbish .. I want to get happy but I am well and truly back to the old Charlton pessimism of if we score we will concede and if we let ine in we won't get it back ... Have we further to fall ... Unfortunately I think so .. We have seen nothing from this team and manager that gives me any hope next year ... I am like a beaten wife ... Scared when the doorbell goes ..,
  • Options
    I stopped bothering about the score after Bournemouth. What I have been looking for is for signs Chrissy is getting on top of the job, and for me they have been there. Yes, it hasn't necessarily got us the results, and we clearly need 3-4 additions of the right quality, but for me the positive signs are definitely there. I disagreed with a comment that the only important thing was the scoreline against Huddersfield. For me it is better to lose unluckily,than nick a win. It wouldn't be if we were fighting for promotion, but we are not. I take our supperiority over a top team and a team fighting for their lives as positives. Still much to do, of course, but I am starting to believe that next season could be a good one. Bank the positives and get behind Chrissy, for me it is a no brainer. Together, and united we can all pick our great club up again, and I am becoming more convinced Chrissy is the man to do it. Unbaaten for the rest of the season, a few good signings and watch us go next term. COYRS.
  • Options
    "Reacting to Powell's comments about his antics in Semedo's sending off, Campbell reiterated: "The lad clearly elbowed me. I was clapping to the crowd to gee them up as the fact they were down to nine men; it was nothing more than that.

"I'm disappointed he said that but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'll say go and look at it on the video and draw your own conclusion."

What else to say , that wouldn't break Forum rules. The ref a yard away too. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Still in Bristol after the game. Recent performances have been better with more pattern and purpose. Yesterday we were cruising but I must admit I was worried about the ref's (& linesman's) inconsistency early on. Semedo is always likely to pick up a booking and ref was lenient on some things (unbelievable petulance for a foul throw) yet later booked Fortune for much lesser dissent. The ref spent a lot of time talking to Semedo during 1st half. Wonder what was said. Could be linked to SCP saying the ref had said he would send a player off?
  • Options
    For those not making the trip , we looked really good until the Merchant Banker decided to give the Pirates a helping hand. Was SO pleased for Reid when he scored.....his confidence must have soared after that, not that he had much time to enjoy it. Couldn't fault any of the starting eleven .They were DEFINITELY playing as a unit, Ken.

Where did I say they were not playing as a unit!.....
    Having seen the incidents, The Semedo incident does seem harsh!, and yes there goal was handball, so I can understand Charlton fans getting upset.

In the words of Chris Powell on the Charlton site...........
    "I've had three people sent off today, two players and myself.
    That's wrong by me. I should have led by example as I am manager of the team but I'm disappointed we have got the point.
    "It feels like a loss to me as we controlled it. What's done is done and we move on to Monday's game."

My comments were aimed at Chris Powell control of the game as a manger.
    Obviously a very frustrating game, I take a view that the manger should show leadership, positive leadership, not enter the field of play!

When Mark Hughes can be sent off for 'abusing a water bottle' in a league with so called better refs, I am afraid you either abide by the ref or not!.
    Is there a week when a manger is not enraged by a match official!

Chris declined to seek clarification from the ref, I do not blame him, and he had the honesty to admit his mistake!.

Be more than happy to question Chris at the NW Kent meeting Jean!...... about his views of management in the game,
    Of course he may well have tried to calm the players down!
  • Options
    Looking at the TV replays I can see why Reid got sent off so fair enough..

Semedo's 2nd yellow - behave!! How their man can roll around the floor in agony just beggars belief!

Handball - he might as well go and play for the LA Lakers!!
  • Options
    Quite simply we were robbed!!!
    Two appalling decisions and a cheating player/manager.
    Performances still improving, added a couple of goals to our neat play this time out and all I hope for is another step up however small on Monday. It's building nicely.
  • Options
    It was classic case of 'we were robbed'. The ref did what he had to do...for Bristol, and like all the refs in this league will never officiate in the EPL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sticking to my belief in not commenting on a game unless I'm there which is something I believe a lot on this thread should do regularly as well.
  • Options
    Screw that!

Just seen Semedo's yellow card, hope Rovers go down bigtime.

Was the Ref from Bristol?
  • Options
    The ref may well have got that one wrong but TV didn't show you Fortune's "pull-back" in the first 10 mins. IF the ref had deemed that a foul, Fortune would have gone. He also over-ruled a Rovers goal in the first half (possibly quite rightly) and only played six minutes of added time when it could have easily been double that. So no, the ref wasn't "from Bristol" Depending on your view, he might have had a poor game but in no way was he biased towards one team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'm sticking to my belief in not commenting on a game unless I'm there which is something I believe a lot on this thread should do regularly as well.
    There's a lot to be said for that - certainly when it comes to making judgements about overall performances. However, when talking about specific game changing incidents the armchair fan often has a better view than the traveller, not to mention the benefits multiple replays and slo-mo. I think people who watched it on tele and who are incensed by the refs ridiculous decisions have every right (if not a duty) to comment.

Anyway, who can really say they understand anything until they've heard the fabulous insights of Messrs Claridge & Rosenior?
  • Options
    Good response Stig.
  • Options
    Simonsen,

The ref did not overule their goal in the first half - the lino did - cannot comment on that as I was seated behind the goal. Shame as it was a great finish!

Cannot rememeber the Fortune pull back, but if he did that then yes, a straight red.

One question though - what is worse, a pull back or play acting and then getting up and clapping (Semedo 2nd yellow)? I would say both are equally bad.
  • Options
    Good response Prague to Stig's good response.
  • Options
    anyone who was not at the game but watched highlights can they please answer the following questions;

1) was the equaliser handball?
    2) Semedo 2nd yellow - was it a bookable offence?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Good response Prague to Stig's good response.

Pony response falconwood_1 to Prague's good response to Stig's good response.
  • Options
    Hear hear!