Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol R 2 - 2 Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Looking on the telly the ref seemed very well placed to spot the handball.
    I hope what goes around comes around is true!
  • Options
    Just watched this on Beeb. Reid possibly deserved a booking but it wasn't all that bad, Semedo's second yellow looked like a run of the mill challenge. Their equaliser was blatant handball but they didn't even mention it on the commentary or analysis afterwards.
  • Options
    Regarding the pull back i dont agree. Was right in front of me and dont think fortune did much wrong,and their player didnt complain to much about the decision
  • Options
    a really good game, ruined by a shocking referee. neither of semedo's yellows were bookings and their 2nd goal was an incredibly blatant handball. we played well enough and certainly didnt deserve that.

eccleston was a real threat when he was given the ball and was a great assist for benno's header. parrett was decent too.

thought our support was fantastic yesterday as well considering it was a 'nothing' game, shame it was ruined for all of us by the ref
  • Options
    Semedo did nothing to warrent a second yellow and the handball was ridiculous, although he did finish really well.

That ref should be hauled before a panel and asked to explain those decisions.

Reid deserved to go half hearted attempt to win the ball left his foot in and was high , cowards tackle no arguments about it other than it should've been a straight red
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite] That ref should be hauled before a panel and asked to explain those decisions.
    Keel hauled more like.
  • Options
    am i the only one who didn't think it was as blatant a handball as everyone else seems to be shouting about

i thought it was chesty top of inside arm but nowhere near as clear as maradonas!
  • Options
    From what I've seen Kyel Reid's second yellow was a silly challenge and it was a caution if it had been the first yellow so silly thing to do. Semedo's second is less clear as it happens so quickly. Hard to know exactly what happened but looked incredibly harsh. As for the handball it was blatant. Off the inside of the (raised) upper arm, onto the chest and then into the net and it's not as if the referee had an obstructed view in any way, his position was very good indeed so puzzling as to why it wasn't given. I can fully understand the frustrations of all connected with CAFC, we've played very well and deserved 3 points but because of extremely poor decisions by the referee we've been robbed of two of them. Just to clear something up the referee is not corrupt or from Bristol. There's no hint of cheating or foul play. He's just very poor indeed and would have been told in his assessment.
  • Options
    He controlled it with his arm before using great techa's to finish was as blatant as can be there would've been little to complain about had the ref had the bollox to do his job.

The semedo sending off was the worst decision of them all
  • Options
    I hope his assesor did tell him,but he won't face any sanctions or reprisal which is wrong, I don't think any ref I have ever seen is a cheat just some of them extremely poor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]am i the only one who didn't think it was as blatant a handball as everyone else seems to be shouting about

i thought it was chesty top of inside arm but nowhere near as clear as maradonas!

Have you seen the picture on the second page of this thread?

Clearly his arm.
  • Options
    I was getting absolutely hammered in Riga, and still am, but can I just say I'm disgusted and the board should be sacked...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

The semedo sending off was the worst decision of them all

that was so weird i've watched it over and over again and they're fella may have had a little flick if anything but his overreacting is ridiculous

if the player doing the histrionics had been a foreigner and in the premiership the usual fruits would have been slagging the most exciting league in the world off
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]am i the only one who didn't think it was as blatant a handball as everyone else seems to be shouting about

Have you seen the picture on the second page of this thread?

Clearly his arm.

yeah but the ref doesn't watch the game in pictures , in real time i didn't think it was as obvious as is being pronounced
  • Options
    And that was their manager. I really hope they go down
  • Options
    It was very clear it was hand ball. It could be seen all around the ground. He doesnt ref in pictures bit its ridiculously clear it was hand ball. The bloke makes the movement with his arm to the ball,thats what makes it so blatant
  • Options
    everyone in the ground saw the handball - the ref was not brave enough to give it though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]From what I've seen Kyel Reid's second yellow was a silly challenge and it was a caution if it had been the first yellow so silly thing to do. Semedo's second is less clear as it happens so quickly. Hard to know exactly what happened but looked incredibly harsh. As for the handball it was blatant. Off the inside of the (raised) upper arm, onto the chest and then into the net and it's not as if the referee had an obstructed view in any way, his position was very good indeed so puzzling as to why it wasn't given. I can fully understand the frustrations of all connected with CAFC, we've played very well and deserved 3 points but because of extremely poor decisions by the referee we've been robbed of two of them. Just to clear something up the referee is not corrupt or from Bristol. There's no hint of cheating or foul play. He's just very poor indeed and would have been told in his assessment.

But we will never know that. Perhaps the assessments should be published - at the end of the season if the little darlings feel they are being undermined.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yeah but the ref doesn't watch the game in pictures , in real time i didn't think it was as obvious as is being pronounced

well Mr oo-aah I think this time you really are the only one. After all, the commentators apparently called it and they were local.

You don't normally put your hand out as if you're waving a taxi to control a diagonal ball, unless of course you are cheating
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I was getting absolutely hammered in Riga, and still am, but can I just say I'm disgusted and the board should be sacked...

How is Riga nowadays? Tried the dark beer?

That may be a silly question, the second one...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]that was so weird i've watched it over and over again and they're fella may have had a little flick if anything but his overreacting is ridiculous

Agreed. I must have watched it 5 times this morning and still couldn't see what he did wrong. Perhaps caught him with a flick of the hand to the side of the face but 100% nothing in it. Like most people was gutted last night when I saw the result but having watched us score two good goals and then get beaten as a result of such poor ref'ing I'm feeling much more postive.

Reid deserved to go. Booking all day long at best. BBC decided not to bother showing us each players first bookings, which proved pivotal so can't comment but it sounds like the ref just has a complete stinker.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that some of the defending for the goals was very poor. I would think it was the effect of very tired legs but it looked like we could have closed the oppo down quicker and cut off the supply for the goals. Just looked like very tired defending to me, which is to be expected I suppose.
  • Options
    Just to reiterate- handball.jpg bastard
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ignore
  • Options
    Just reading today's posts regarding the conduct of the ref.

OK - I may have over reacted regarding the man in the middle being " bent" but unless you were there yesterday, you cannot imagine how emotional it was to see these incidents first hand.

I know I wasn't the only one to be close to tears by the end - absolutely drained by the anger & frustration of decision after decision going against us.

We gave it our best shot on what people fail to remember was a very hot afternoon . Bad enough with one man light.....disastrous with two. And largely undeserved.

SCP's face said it all when he was "paraded" in front of us on his way to the stand after the red card. We gave him a tremendous reception but it was truly heartbreaking to see .

There's a big hug coming your way next Sunday, Chris .
  • Options
    Havnt seen the highlights but CP says that Reid's sending off was justified, that his own sending off was unprofessional (words to that effect) and that on one look on a laptop the 'handball' appeared to have been on the players shoulder (so maybe that is what the ref saw too) so the only real bugbear is Semedo's sending off. At least now we will get to see Parratt and Stewart together in CM.
  • Options
    Just watched it on Player, Reid's was a yellow card offence so 2 x yellow is off, obviously.

Semedo's was an utter farce, the "contact" was minimal and it was blatant cheating by the Rovers player in simulating that he had been pole-axed, Semedo was obviously disbelieving about it.

I hope Rovers go down now, disgraceful conduct from their player-manager.
  • Options
    We are stayin up said we are stayin up!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: alicwkd[/cite]We are stayin up said we are stayin up![/quote]

For the moment, that's all that matters. Now to the off season.....
  • Options
    From CAFC 999

"Cannot rememeber the Fortune pull back, but if he did that then yes, a straight red."

"One question though - what is worse, a pull back or play acting and then getting up and clapping (Semedo 2nd yellow)? I would say both are equally bad".

Simonsen's reply...The Fortune "pull-back" came as a result of Sullivan's first bad kick straight to their forward.

General comment...If the ref had been a homer as some have suggested then he would have sent Fortune off rather than wave play on. He wasn't a homer so gave what he saw. Semedo may well have been unlucky up to a point but as the ref has seemingly warned Charlton's bench that he was walking a tightrope, it suggests that he was going to get a 2nd yellow for persistent fouling. IF this was the case Powell should have listened and used one of his two ready made replacements. Semedo was also apparently feeling ill so it made little sense to leave him on when Reid went off.

As for play acting or pull-back. Again, I'm not condoning or criticising the players (apart from Bessone's rolling around after getting a ball in the belly and Fortune's childish behaviour at the final whistle) but merely trying to give a balanced view of the refereeing. I didn't think he was a good ref but there were decisions that went Charlton's way too. I have no idea whether Fortune actually did pull the fella back or trip him up but the crowd who were a bit nearer were incensed and the forward WAS angry.

The ref's assessor had a chat with one of my mates after the game and felt the ref had had a good game but apparently the assessor now has to watch the whole game again on video before he makes his final judgement. After the video I suspect he might well pull the ref on the handball for the 2nd goal and POSSIBLY the Fortune incident, in which case he would no doubt revise his opinion. He might also suggest to the ref that Reid deserved a straight red for the high challenge (at the time I thought yellow but now I've had the benefit of TV replay, it looks reddish to me because his studs are up).

PS: Anyone know what the hell Nouble was up to at the final whistle? Was something said to him by one the Rovers players because he was running around like Leaburn at Stamford Bridge!
  • Options
    If those who run the game wish to demonstrate their incompetency yet again I 'm sure that Chrissy will be banned from the touchline and their player manager will receive absolutely no penalty for his behaviour. I torn between wanting to see Bristol Rovers relegated or seeing them get their comeuppance at the Valley next season. At least one side in Bristol tries to play football.