Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How can we get more fans to the games this season

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2011
    is BWP staying?
    As far as we know yes.  CP said so at a fans Q & A two weeks ago.
  • Options
    Do you understand how a forum works, @ThereHels?
  • Options
    not really :) just asking a few questions, do you understand how questions work?
  • Options
    not really :) just asking a few questions, do you understand how questions work?

Better to  look for other threads on the same topic then and ask the question there them rather than jumping around.

Try the the Rumours, Rumours thread.
  • Options
    will do :)
  • Options

How about an embarrassing advertising campaign along the lines of....

"Come to The Valley and see McDonald, Bishop and welsh"

• Options
    crack ... or whores ... or even better crack whores
  • Options
    or maybe arrange for ThereHels to ask random questions at half-time

I'm sure people would travel from far and wide for that
  • Options
    How about free entry to Crossbars ?
    A new screen in Bartrams ?

Moving away fans to upper south/west and opening the south stand for home fans ?.

New Screen in Bartrams - already sorted, was in place for the last couple of games of the season - I think the attendance declined during that time so I can only assume that this wasn't what was going to bring back the 10,000 missing punters ! The new screen's pretty good btw (but couldn't have been much worse really!).
  • Options

Use Printflow and Cross Media Communications EC1 to help the club communicate with it's database. More targeted and personalised marketing. Don't use silly local suppliers, use an established and proven provider.

Other than that, start passing the bloody ball !!! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think if we get some big names from the championship (probably unlikely) and some new talent, people will want to come and check it out, what do you think? (or was this question to random for you all!!!!???)
  • Options
    i think if we get some big names from the championship
    (probably unlikely) and some new talent, people will want to come and
    check it out, what do you think?

That's pretty obvious ThereHels.  Getting 'big names' costs money and so far the signs are that the new owners aren't digging too deep in their pockets.  I will renew for my son and myself when I get back from my holiday so that will be two more than at present!!! 
  • Options
    Well, i've done my bit - got us the real ale that was seemingly unviable. The rest is up to Chris now. He only has to say the word and i could help him as well.
  • Options
    Offer a free altenative to Charlton. For example if you endure 90 minutes at the Valley you get a free spa treatment, cinema ticket or a romantic dinner for 2 the next.
  • Options
    JollyRobin hahaaah BRILLIANT!
  • Options
    how about if ou watch 3 away games in a row and you loose all 3 then the next home game is free, away suport would increase, and if we loose games we get a bigger crowd!
  • Options
    It still comes back to winning - if we do well, the club will make more money from supporters paying at the gate.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2011
    It comes back to winning and having a sense that the club is going somewhere, and the owners are prepared to invest to support ongoing improvement. It is about a having a really good home form, and that you go with the expectation that Charlton are an excellent home team and play well and win, and that the other team has to fight really hard to get anything. Charlton were far too easy to beat last season. That has to turn around.

I am a season ticket holder and I missed a lot of games in the second half of the season, what would tempt me back (and other supporters) and what I think is missing.

A coherent team that is difficult to beat, with a strong central defence, with some pace in it, a midfield that works hard, with some creativity and a bit of bite in the tackle, The team playing as a unit (sorry to say, but the Millwall team had that and it got them promoted from League One) and fighting for each other and the club to the 95th minute. A team that creates chances and scores goals and hates losing.  A team able to pass the ball and not hoof it up to the strikers because they are too limited or have no other options. Players who understand and believe in what the manager is doing. Not seeing a Charlton hero, who you have great respect for, falling flat on the their face on a double bed of inexperience and lack of backing by the owners through under investment in the team. Owners who show in practise by their actions, that they want to make money from the club by getting into the Championship by developing and investing in the team and not by property wheeler dealing.

I'd love to see a team with an ethos of positive improvement for individual and team performance on the pitch. A crowd who can accept mistakes on the pitch, because they know the team are trying everything without getting on the backs of the players. The players need to know that we support them and can make the odd mistake on the pitch, so that they are not scared to be creative. Decent, hungry hard working players who are appropriately rewarded would be the start.

Hollands is a start, for a stronger spine to the team, but lets have some decent central defenders in there.

A lot to ask from where the team ended up. It can be done.
  • Options
    I think we have been ground so low in the last four years that it's going to be tough getting some of those fans back. Certainly the board need to show us some real intent rather than the usual platitudes that every football club chairman comes out with. This can only be done by showing us they mean business on the pitch by spending some money. Early days yet of course but I am hoping that we are going to sign some players for fees rather than just pick up free agents. I am confident but time will tell.
  • Options
    VFF, I agree, especially about the central defenders),although a lot of what you say is subjective.  Being "limited" or playing "hoofball" is defined by whom?   Sometimes a long ball is effective and the only option.  Sometimes other teams come to stiffle you and stop you playing "pretty" football.  As for team ethos I agree it would make a huge difference id the crowd weren't on the backs of the players but some fans will do that regardless of if we are winning or playing well.  They will still find a whipping boy or two to pick on no matter what.

Also it's going to be years before we can see for sure what the owners are doing in practice rather than words or at least until the majority of fans are convinced.

The problem is that all of what you say is beyond the control of the ticket office, the people who work in Club Development or the Target 40,000 focus group.  They all know that a winning team is the best way to sell tickets but can't (and shouldn't) buy players or pick the team.  

The Club (ie the non-playing side) have to think up ways of both keeping existing fans and winning new and lapsed fans to the Valley while maximising income.

There is a lot that goes on already such as tickets for schools and youth clubs/teams, £5 offer ala Exeter, £10 offers for ST holder ala Yeovil, initiatives with the half term and summer coaching coaches from the Trust, advertising in the local press and at summer CACT events plus more. 

No very glamourous or likely to bring instant success, although Exeter proved that the potential is there.  Trouble was we lost that game and we can't afford to offer tickets at £5 every week.

Personally I think we should explore more "event" days like the Young Addicks Day v Hartlepool.   Scarf days. fireworks days, Old players on the pitch day, wear red on St Georges Day but these have a limited impact, are likely to be dismissed by some cynical fans ("I don't want a bloody flag") and they cost money which we don't have. Sponsorship?  Yeah great but businesses are feeling the pinch too so there is little of that about either.

As for lose three aways and you get a free home ticket very creative thinking but a nightmare to administrate and is selling a negative.  "hey, the Club expect us to lose the next three games, what message does that send to the players."  and don't we expect to be winning or at least drawing some away games?   Not sure that the chance of a free home ticket would encourage me to travel away three times and hope we lose each one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, i've done my bit - got us the real ale that was seemingly unviable. The rest is up to Chris now. He only has to say the word and i could help him as well.
    Best thing that happened all season, well done Dan!
  • Options
    Everyone at the club should be about improving their individual performance and looking to see how they can contribute to an overall team performance. If a player is going into a positive environment where they know they will learn, develop and improve. (Also that the money is OK as well), they will want to come to or stay at the club. It is by lots of practise trying to improve and mistakes that you learn and improve at something. David Beckham is a great player and is great at free kicks because of the amount practise and hard work he put in. He made plenty of mistakes but always worked hard and that sustained his improvements. That needs to be understood by the supporters as well.

I think that the crowd will get behind a team with a really positive work ethic and excellent attitude on the pitch. I know that you get the ones that are only happy having a good moan but the majority want to see a hard working and creative team. The Charlton crowd is a great crowd when we believe in what we see on the pitch.

Last season, it may have been just transitional but quite often there was absence of coherence, fight and belief. The players didn't believe it and neither did the crowd. That contributed to me to stop going.

Millwall over the last 3 seasons have had a very coherent team and it is noticeable that play as a unit and play right to the end. I haven't seen that kind of spirit at Charlton for a couple of seasons. I liked the goalkeeper from Millwall, as soon as Dailly was sent off, he was in there arguing the case and showing good spirit. (Millwall is not my favourite club, but they are in the Champs for a reason).

I don't think I am being subjective about the default tactic of aimless balls being fired at strikers, it was a favoured tactic of one of our recent former managers, not saying it should never be used but I want the team to gain promotion in a Brighton way, who pass the ball. Off course, a team needs to know how to mix it, like Barcelona didn't let Mourinho's tactics bully them off the pitch. If Manchester Utd try to do something similar, I hope they stand up to them as well.

I think Hollands is a good acquisition, and I am open minded as to what kind of team we end up with and what kind of owners we have actually got. If a decent team is put together, with a positive, hard working and hungry attitude, I may renew ST and not just sign up to Valley Gold.

The Valley can be a fortress again.
  • Options

No very glamourous or likely to bring instant success, although Exeter proved that the potential is there.  Trouble was we lost that game and we can't afford to offer tickets at £5 every week.

In many ways this summed up the season, great idea by the club, fans rallied to get people to come back, great atmosphere........ then  it all went flat...... 
    Personally speaking I think the players should have paid there wages to the club that week!..... A marketing disaster.

Get the team playing winning football, and the crowd will return. Get it playing committed football, with players who  have a desire to win, or compete you have the job 99 percent done!. Although price is important, I am afraid that some ex-fans I know would not come even if you paid them!. Yes of course I will still come, but  every game!. To use the chairman's word I am looking for a 'significant' improvement, what does that mean . ask him it is his word!
  • Options

If the Board are honest and upfront about their money and we bring in some decent signings this summer, I think we'll see a few more faces but If the opposite is to occur then you'll find less attendance. I feel us Charlton fans have been lied to enough In the past, won't put up with much more.

Gaz

• Options
    Look at the amount of S/T sold so far, above last seasons number, so that must mean something is going right for getting fans back
  • Options
    Strippers

I concur
  • Options
    I think we can apply Maslow's theory of motivation here.   For me there are just three motivation factors (things that make you want to attend):  1.  The team wins games  2.  The team plays entertaining football   3.  The team trues hard.  Everything else is a hygiene factor (if its not there it will act as a de-motivator, but over a certain level no more of it is going to make you attend):  Safe stadium, clean stadium, good beer, nice food, easy transport, reasonable prices ......

Looking at these things it seems to me that the club does pretty well on the hygiene factors.  It's the motivation factors that have been so sadly lacking in recent seasons.  Therefore I agree 100% with Dabos, Len, vff, Henry and anyone else who's answer boils down to Improve the team. That's all there is to it.
  • Options
    We could ask the Belmarsh Stewards to bring a few inmates, handcuffed, and let them up the Jblock with their mates
  • Options
    i think the general concensus out there amongst those that have lapsed a bit in the last few years is that there will be investment this summer and next year could be a good one. The only blot on this seems to have been CP's comments at the bromley meeting. Not sure how much of this got out to the wider press and not sure how many people look at this forum. Maybe the doom that was created by CP's comments hasn't permeated to that many and indeed there will be enough investment to get the ball rolling for next year. Some new players a good start and i still think next year can be good.  
  • Options
    Stig, that's McGregor not Maslow but otherwise spot on ; - )

Dan, agree. CPs words have and will have little impact for the majority as they either haven't seen them or are more likely to make a decision on who we sign and how we are performing.

My fear is that it will take more than one good season to bring many of the lapsed fans back. It takes more time to climb than to fall.