Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doctor Who Thread......

Comments

• Options
    Jodie Whitaker's a terrific actor and on the vanishingly small number of occasions she's had any material as The Doctor, she's been excellent.  She's gently referenced a couple of her predecessors while establishing a distinct take on the character.
    Her first two series drowned under the slew of infantile preachy pseudo-liberal "this is the only way to think/behave and nothing else is acceptable" from Chibnall
    The budgets were clearly significant, the shows often looked fabulous but the content was risible.
    Preach, preach, preach - few Northern clichés - more preaching - high tempo incoherent jibber jabber, some running around, bang crash flashy SFX, more preaching and 5 minutes of impenetrable exposition in place of anything like plot.  Two of the 3 'assistants' were gossamer thin non-entities (neither of whom can act one jot) plus Yaz who was allowed to find something like an identity midway thru her 2nd series.
    It must have been tough for JW - she and Chibnall had worked very successfully together in acclaimed and popular drama.
    Apparently they made a deal to leave together, whenever that time came.  JW can't have been unaware just how poor the material has been nor how poorly it was received.  I'm astonished she stuck it out, into a 2nd series.
    This third "series" is much much less bad.  Dead wood was cut out - Walsh & Cole - and thus far there has been noticeably less of the infantile pseudo-liberal dogma, there's still nothing like plot, it's all still running around, jibber-jabber, SFX*, with lengthy exposition in place of direction.  The love story of the 2 characters combing the galaxy for each other is clearly just a bit of filler.  Resolving The Doctor's supposed gap in her memory, the recurring embodiments she doesn't recognise and what she's supposed to have done in that gap is going to require some very lengthy soliloquys in Chibnall's remaining episodes.

*The SFX have been sketchy and look properly low-rent as if the budget's been slashed. 

Show-runner Chibnall has been the equal worst thing to ever happen to Dr Who right down there with Michael Grade cancelling it when he was head of BBC1.

The Beeb reappointing Russell T Davies is fantastic news and the clearest indication they know they dropped a bollock with Chibnall.  Davies is the man for the job but he has a monumental task returning the brand to the heights he previously scaled.  I'm not at all sure anything will come of it but JW softened her position on leaving after RTD was announced and RTD has been glowing in his appraisal of JW.  He knows she could be brilliant, she knows he is brilliant.  Now if RTD could get Billy Piper to return for a spell as Rose Tyler, he'd be cooking on gas...
  • Options
    I'm sure the Vinder and Bel story is more than filler. It wouldn't be given the prominence it has otherwise.
  • Options
    I'm sure the Vinder and Bel story is more than filler. It wouldn't be given the prominence it has otherwise.
    Let's hope so...
  • Options
    I’m a massive fan.
    But since Matt Smith, this new lot has gone down hill dramatically & it’s definitely imho down to the writing.
     I’m literally only watching so I can understand it all again when Russell T Davies comes back.
    Exactly this. It is the writing that has made her a poor Doctor in my opinion. She deserved better as she is a great actress 
  • Options
    Sorry I don't rate Jodie as an actor for the part, irrespective of the writing.

Being the Doctor is a leading role, a star role, and nothing about her shouts leading actor. A fine character or supporting actor, but that's not the same.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I think she has done ok but Dr Who always stands or falls on its stories and of course baddies. I do agree that from Matt Smith onwards things went downhill and it sort of echoed what happened after Tom Baker. I think it is more the writing than the actor in most cases. You have some bankers with Dr Who, Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, the Master, Davros and a recent introduction the Weeping Angels. You have a few from the past that could be brought back like the Sea Devils and Morbius.

I have long thought a Daleks spin off would be great with a few guest appearances from the Doctor who is a peripheral character.
  • Options

I note Tory MP Nick Fletcher has strong views on women taking traditional men's roles.

Women taking on traditionally male television and film roles is leaving young British men vulnerable to a life of crime, a Conservative MP has suggested.

Nick Fletcher claimed the lack of heroic male role models – citing an actress taking the lead in Doctor Who and the all-female Ghostbusters reboot – had left young men idolising violent anti-heroes.

Speaking at an International Men’s Day debate in parliament, the Tory MP complained of calls from “a tiny, yet very vocal minority, that every male character or good role model must have a female replacement”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/women-men-tv-tory-mp-b1964327.html

... I'm just off now to rampage through Asda's.

• Options

I note Tory MP Nick Fletcher has strong views on women taking traditional men's roles.

Women taking on traditionally male television and film roles is leaving young British men vulnerable to a life of crime, a Conservative MP has suggested.

Nick Fletcher claimed the lack of heroic male role models – citing an actress taking the lead in Doctor Who and the all-female Ghostbusters reboot – had left young men idolising violent anti-heroes.

Speaking at an International Men’s Day debate in parliament, the Tory MP complained of calls from “a tiny, yet very vocal minority, that every male character or good role model must have a female replacement”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/women-men-tv-tory-mp-b1964327.html

Well, we certainly can’t look to many of our male politicians for role models. As certainly not Nick Fletcher, whoever he is.  What a bloody 🛎🔚🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options

I agree with him. The Dr Who change has sent us to Hell in a handcart. A total breakdown is surely on the cards when they recast Bond.
  • Options
    Enjoying this series, but, getting very confused what with so much going on.
    Not sure next week's episode has enough time to tie up all the stories. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you?
    I just find myself wondering what on earth is John Bishop offering other than a slightly comical scouse accent & whether the dog is actually Christopher Eccleston? 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Are you?
    I just find myself wondering what on earth is John Bishop offering other than a slightly comical scouse accent & whether the dog is actually Christopher Eccleston? 🤷‍♀️
    Read somewhere that the dog is played by the fella who was with John Bishop in the clip introducing him at the end of the New Year episode. 
  • Options
    Are you?
    Read somewhere that the dog is played by the fella who was with John Bishop in the clip introducing him at the end of the New Year episode. 
    Craige Els.
  • Options
    Now I can just concentrate on what Bishop is doing there.
    Cheers 🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Taken from one of the Doctor Who fansites:

Let’s list the plots that need resolving, shall we ?: the Doctor’s time with The Division; The Timeless Child story; the Flux; Swarm and Azure’s plan; Vinder and Bel’s reunion and their as yet unborn child; The Grand Serpent’s plan; The Sontaran invasion; what Kate has been doing for four years; Yaz and co. being trapped in the past; Dan saving Di; Claire and the village’s fate; the mystery of what is happening to the TARDIS and when exactly The Doctor is planning on picking it up from the village; and last and most certainly least, Joseph Williamson and his bloody tunnels.

That makes, conveniently, thirteen open threads. At this point, frustrating as it would be, we’re almost hoping that Flux ends on a cliffhanger, with the resolution coming in the New Year’s Day special. Anything but an unsatisfactory ending to the most interesting thing Doctor Who has attempted in the last five years - we beg you, Chris.

As I said, not sure one episode has enough time to resolve all.
  • Options
    Taken from one of the Doctor Who fansites:

Let’s list the plots that need resolving, shall we ?: the Doctor’s time with The Division; The Timeless Child story; the Flux; Swarm and Azure’s plan; Vinder and Bel’s reunion and their as yet unborn child; The Grand Serpent’s plan; The Sontaran invasion; what Kate has been doing for four years; Yaz and co. being trapped in the past; Dan saving Di; Claire and the village’s fate; the mystery of what is happening to the TARDIS and when exactly The Doctor is planning on picking it up from the village; and last and most certainly least, Joseph Williamson and his bloody tunnels.

That makes, conveniently, thirteen open threads. At this point, frustrating as it would be, we’re almost hoping that Flux ends on a cliffhanger, with the resolution coming in the New Year’s Day special. Anything but an unsatisfactory ending to the most interesting thing Doctor Who has attempted in the last five years - we beg you, Chris.

As I said, not sure one episode has enough time to resolve all.
    Reading through the list, with the Doctor not knowing her parents, Vinder & Bel’s unborn child during a time flux opens up a possibility. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Kids not interested in watching it this series after the last ‘boring’ series so not seen them. Have they been any food - worth watching in catch up ? 
    No.
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect yours but, for me, this Flux series had been the most interesting and engaging since Tennant left the role. Chibnall's first two series weren't the best but his strength definitely lies in serialised storytelling rather than stand alone episodes. As a child in the 70's I was drawn in each week by the cliffhangers, so it's great to see them reintroduced each week.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Kids not interested in watching it this series after the last ‘boring’ series so not seen them. Have they been any food - worth watching in catch up ? 
    No.
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect yours but, for me, this Flux series had been the most interesting and engaging since Tennant left the role. Chibnall's first two series weren't the best but his strength definitely lies in serialised storytelling rather than stand alone episodes. As a child in the 70's I was drawn in each week by the cliffhangers, so it's great to see them reintroduced each week.
    If Vinder & Bels kid ends up being the Dr I might stand corrected.
    But so far there’s a likelihood of many threads being left hanging for any cliff to be mentioned.

I’m just here until RTD takes the reigns & brings the threads back on track.

• Options
    new doctor randomly announced on twitter a couple of hours ago 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2022
    The writing let Jodie Whittaker down, turned off the last episode, sea monster special, awful 
    Glad Russell T Davies is back as well, I would’ve preferred Richard Ayeode (sic) as the doctor 
  • Options
    rina said:
    Love him in Sex Education.

DA9 said:
    The writing let Jodie Whittaker down, turned off the last episode, sea monster special, awful 
    Glad Russell T Davies is back as well, although I would’ve preferred Richard Ayeode (sic)
    The whole thing has been poor since Matt Smith went, this is the last attempt to halt a terminal decline.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    So it’s in decline so the only thing that can save them is making the a gay, Scottish-Rwandan black guy.

im all for change but are we not in danger of going too far to please everyone?
    Thing is it doesn't matter what or who he is if the script is good, he can probably play it more straight if required.
  • Options
    A very low key announcement, just a tweet and press release
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Swisdom said:
    So it’s in decline so the only thing that can save them is making the a gay, Scottish-Rwandan black guy.

Thing is it doesn't matter what or who he is if the script is good, he can probably play it more straight if required.
    Yes, Dr Who is a famous fictional heterosexual.
  • Options
    rina said:
    I have no idea who he is but he’s very pleasing on the eye 😊
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Swisdom said:

Yes, Dr Who is a famous fictional heterosexual.
    I was passing more of a comment to say his most famous role to date is flamboyant gay, it doesnt mean every role he does will be the same.  TBH who cares?  The scripts and plot are the important thing without them it is still going to be poor.