Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doctor Who Thread......

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    The writing is still shite 
  • Options
    Love David Tennant (and saw him on West End stage last night). But bring back Billie Piper instead of Catherine Tate please!
  • Options
    It's there
    On the black bomber?
    I kept looking for it but failed 😞 
  • Options
    It's there
    On the black bomber?
    it was there in the 80's
  • Options
    cafcwill said:
    It's there
    On the black bomber?
    it was there in the 80's
    I knew it was there in the 80’s lol
    I meant last night 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Thank god that's over. I thought she was the worst Doctor ever (even including Peter Capaldi, although a very close-run thing) - totally unconvincing throughout the run. Very irritating voice and very irritating facial expressions. Mind you, as others have said, the scripts were bad. Having a female Doctor should have been so much better than the dross that it was. Looking forward to Russell T Davies taking the reins again. Chris Chibnall was complete rubbish IMO and hopefully he gets nowhere near another Doctor Who script ever again!
  • Options
    Love David Tennant (and saw him on West End stage last night). But bring back Billie Piper instead of Catherine Tate please!
    I am not a fan of Catherine Tate generally, but thought she was excellent as Donna Noble. Billie Piper was great too mind.
  • Options
    Thank god that's over. I thought she was the worst Doctor ever (even including Peter Capaldi, although a very close-run thing) - totally unconvincing throughout the run. Very irritating voice and very irritating facial expressions. Mind you, as others have said, the scripts were bad. Having a female Doctor should have been so much better than the dross that it was. Looking forward to Russell T Davies taking the reins again. Chris Chibnall was complete rubbish IMO and hopefully he gets nowhere near another Doctor Who script ever again!
    JW's tenure as The Doctor was hamstrung before she started cos Chibnall was so far removed from being the right appointment as show runner
    She's a superb actor but was given dross to work with.  You could see it in her performances from the off, she knew it was shit.
    Yesterday's show was the best Chibnall output by a distance but that bar was set at ground level.
    The use of Daleks, Master and Cybermen all together was Chibnall's desperate grasping for something to alleviate the self inflicted damage on whatever reputation he had.
    He still managed to cram far too many ideas/plots in for a coherent 90 minutes.  He glossed over the Yaz/13 love story in favour of some transparent nostalgic easter eggs for Whovians in the shape of former incarnations and former companions.  It's not like he'd given a damn about the canon before now.
    That said it was good to see & hear McCoy and Davison, their contributions far better than their appearances 10 years ago, the less said about Colin Baker the better, poor old sod.
    Still not sure how I feel about David Bradley as 1.  Hartnell was well before my time so it's not nostalgia on my part.  They've cooked up Dr's of Convenience as and when required - smoothing McGann/8 into the canon, the War Doctor and Fugitive Doctor, provide fulcra and plot devices so I dunno why 1 is needed in a new person.

They all did brilliantly to keep the scale of Tenant's future involvement under wraps.  He's brilliant and will reignite interest in the franchise, at least for a while.  I know he spent far longer with Donna than Rose but Billie Piper's reappearance would have been the cherry on the top.  She's a much better actor than Tate too.  On the upside Donna Noble's reintroduction brings with it the prospect of her Grandad Wilfred Mott, hopefully they got all Bernard Cribbins's scenes in the can before he passed.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Doctor Who is one of those shows which balances the cerebral with the action and peril. It can easily be got wrong when it is too cerebral and complicated IMO. I think JW did a good job but was let down by the writing a bit. The format works better with one assistant if you are going to have three, make one of them K9.
  • Options
    The show has been very poor since the Matt Smith regeneration.
    They have clearly tried to be inclusive and appeal to the younger generation. That's absolutely fine. However due to the poor writing and execution they have not only lost a number of older viewers but also failed to appeal to the next generation. 
    My two daughters should be in their target demographic. The eldest is 25 with the youngest at 13. They both have very modern attitudes and views towards gender and society.

They lost the interest of my older daughter very quickly into the Capaldi run. Casting a female doctor failed to bring her back. She watches the occasional episode.
    The youngest just doesn't find the show appealing in comparison to other shows.
    But if the oldest had still been watching then the younger would have copied.
    As for the last episode. I found the first half a bore with the constant action, extremely fast cuts, reams of exposition etc. It was much better when the old docs appeared.
    All anecdotal evidence.
    Hopefully Tennant coming back will give the new doctor a solid audience base to work with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was the first episode I’ve seen in years, and the first with JW as the Doctor. 
    I thought it was excellent and, based on this one episode, don’t get the criticism of Whittaker. 
    I guess it was a blockbuster episode, so atypical. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    johnny73 said:
    The show has been very poor since the Matt Smith regeneration.
    They have clearly tried to be inclusive and appeal to the younger generation. That's absolutely fine. However due to the poor writing and execution they have not only lost a number of older viewers but also failed to appeal to the next generation. 
    My two daughters should be in their target demographic. The eldest is 25 with the youngest at 13. They both have very modern attitudes and views towards gender and society.

They lost the interest of my older daughter very quickly into the Capaldi run. Casting a female doctor failed to bring her back. She watches the occasional episode.
    The youngest just doesn't find the show appealing in comparison to other shows.
    But if the oldest had still been watching then the younger would have copied.
    As for the last episode. I found the first half a bore with the constant action, extremely fast cuts, reams of exposition etc. It was much better when the old docs appeared.
    All anecdotal evidence.
    Hopefully Tennant coming back will give the new doctor a solid audience base to work with.
    Far too much action with inadequate character and plot development. How exactly did Bradley Walsh appear? Unless I missed it, they just didn’t bother to explain it. Quite surreal watching Janet Fielding (Tegan), who I happen to know as she lives down the road from me.
  • Options
    cafcwill said:
    It's there
    On the black bomber?
    it was there in the 80's
    Just rewatched it again. 
    When Ace goes in the roof to jump off with her parachute, the camera pans up. Charlton badge clearly there. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    The problem with Doctor Who is now with shows such as Stranger Things coming out, they're stealing away the demographic that Doctor Who could reach for. 

The series looks crap in comparison to the big budget sci-fi fare on Netflix and the writing is awful. 
  • Options
    Long wait until the next episodes 
  • Options
  • Options
    Really enjoyed Wild Blue Yonder.  Shame Tennant is only back for one more episode.

Being watching a few of the older (of the newer) series - such good TV, episodes like The Smpty Child, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library etc 

The best episodes of Doctor Who are up there with some of the best TV IMHO.