Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sullivan Signs on a Free transfer from Millwall

Comments

• Options
    These signings are certainly coming thick and fast.
    Reminds me of a trolley dash....at Lidls.
    Or TK Maxx
  • Options
    Keep Elliot and Sullivan. Put a good team in front of them and both are capable of challenging for promotion imo
  • Options
    Keep Elliot and Sullivan. Put a good team in front of them and both are capable of challenging for promotion imo
    This.
  • Options

I wasn't impressed when he signed (3rd choice from Millwall etc) but he won me over.

Ben Roberts knew him not just from Yeovil but Brighton as well . Big improvement on Ross Worner as a second keeper in the squad.

• Options
    Agree
  • Options

Only saw Sullivan play two games and he wasn't really required to make any reaction saves in either them, but his communication with the back four, his decision making on crosses and his general command of his area was light years ahead of Robbie's. Hopefully he can keep it up and prove to be a decent shot stopper.

He reminded me a bit of Simon Royce who didn't make the stellar saves of Deano but was a pretty reliable all-round package. Lord knows our defence could use some consistent players in it.

I don't have a massive problem with Robbie, but I agree with those weaknesses that others have highlighted and his fitness issues are only likely to get worse as he gets older. I don't think he's either a terrible or brilliant goalkeeper but if there is a serious offer on the table for him I think we should take it as he wouldn't be hard to replace for less money imo.

• Options
    I think Elliot is No1 but Sullivan will give him the competition he needs.
  • Options
    I wish we'd signed an established number one keeper - to put pressure on Robbie and give him a target to aim for - or else decide to move on.  Robbie is not the finished article, and not sure Sullivan is either.  It is such a vital position as fundamental to the performance of the whole defence - in CP's shoes, I'd earmark a decent chunk of the budget for this position, but looks like we are just hoping for the best...
  • Options

Not sure it's just hoping for the best, between his time at Yeovil and us Roberts and CP know a lot more about Sullivan than they would about an awful lot of potential signings. There's probably more concrete knowledge and less hope than usual in this signing, if anything.

• Options
    I liked his prescence and attitude in the area, welcome JS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whatever you think of the relative merits of Robbie or Sullivan the point is that with this signing the squad as a whole is stronger than it was with Worner as number two. Should Robbie depart then we will just have to see who comes in to replace him. Good business IMHO.
  • Options

With one game to go to the end of the season I did some number crunching. Number of saves per gaol conceeded by every keeper in League 1 with 10 or more appearences (Higher is better, in decending order.)

Part 1

1 Bristol Rovers Logan 6.85

2 Huddesfield Bennet 6.8

3 Brentford Hammer 5.5

4 Tranmere Warner 4.96

5 Tranmere Gulaski 4.86

6 Brighton Ankergren 4.83

7 Exeter Hammer 4.59

8 Rochdale Lillis 4.28

9 Orient Jones 4.22

10 Carlilse Collin 4.18

• Options

Part 2

11HartlepoolKean4.13

12OldhamBrill3.97

13SouthamptonDavis3.94

14BournemouthJalal3.91

15RochdaleFon Wills3.86

16BrentfordLee3.71

17BristolRoversAnderson3.54

18OldhamAmos3.52

19YeovilHenderson3.46

20Notts CBurch3.44

21Notts CNelson 3.36

22ColchesterCousins3.35

23PlymouthButon3.28

24CHARLTONELLIOT3.24

25ColchesterWilliams3.21

26Dag&RedRoberts3.14

27MKDMarti3.00

28ExeterJones2.90

29HartlepoolFlinders2.89

• Options

part 3

30PeterbroghLewis2.8

31HuddersfieldSmitherns2.8

32Plymouthlarriu2.77

33WalsallWalker 2.7

34Sheff WedWeaver2.46

35SwindonSmith2.15

36SwindonLucas2.12

37YeovilSullivan2.1

38WalsallBrain2.1

This places Elliot at 24th best shot stopper in League 1. (probably 23rd as I assume that Hammer for Exeter and Hammer for Brentford are the same Keeper)

A stat for the Randolph lovers. Randolph’s save ratio in League 1 (with Hereford and Charlton) was a stunning 9.6 with 15 goals conceded and 144 saves made.

All stats taken from ESPN.

• Options
    Sullivan languishing at 37th!

• Options

Sulivans ratio for Charlton was 4.25 which would have put him 9th but he didn't manage 10 games.

• Options
    the best keeper in the division last year was Davis at Southampton who came in 13th so stats prove nowt.
  • Options
    Let us hope that he'll be a latter day Nicky Johns
  • Options
    You have to take how poor the defence is into account too, not necessarily in conceding goals but in conceding chances on goal
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, Sullivan last season made 13 appearances for Yeovil and 4 for Charlton.

Yeovil were already bottom 4 and struggling before he even made an appearance for them.
    And Charlton appearances came just after a long winless run, in a team lacking confidence.

I saw him play very well for Yeovil at The Valley, where they put in a very spirited performance before conceding a late penalty winner.

His 4 Charlton appearances saw him concede 4 goals (a clean sheet with only 10 men v Oldham; a late winner v Huddersfield after the wall parted; 2 lateish goals with only 9 men v Bristol Rovers; and 1 in a 3-1 victory v Rochdale).

That's pretty decent behind generally leaky defences.

The stats only prove that neither Elliot nor Sullivan are yet world class, but nor do they tell the full story  of a keeper frequently exposed by his defence.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have to say it was refreshing to have a keeper who knew what he wanted his back four to do and told the entire ground and surrounding area about it as well.
    Exactly, much like Deano in that regard. You used to be able to hear Deano all round the ground.
  • Options
    also we missed out last year on Warner at no 4 with lowly Tranmere, guess he didnt want to play second fiddle to Elliot
  • Options
    I'd be inclined to make Sullivan first choice over Robbie but I would be much less hasty than some on here to sell off Robbie completely. I still think he can be much better than he has shown, and maybe having to really fight to be first choice (which Randolph's exit prevented last season) may just spur him on. Of course if a really good offer does come in then I trust Powell to make the call!
  • Options

Pleased Sullivan has signed - on the smallish number of games I saw him play he looked better than Robbie.

He looks more athletic, he looks more commanding, he looks more "the part". Kicking obviously poor.

Robbie gets injured too often, which may be due to a general lack of fitness. He let's in too many long range shots, because he moves too late & he doesn't command his defence & area.

On what I've seen so far Sullivan would start, as should have Randolph before he left.

• Options
    Can't see that either keeper will be happy about being on the bench - I feel that Sullivan expects to be number 1, which is why he signed. To be fair there's not much between them. I would not be surprised if Elliot went elsewhere as there has allegedly been 'interest'.
  • Options
    If Elliot did leave then we have adequate cover in Sullivan. If he doesn't then we have competition for places.
  • Options
    For me, I'd like Sullivan to take the no.1 shirt. Elliott gets injured far too often for a first choice keeper
  • Options
    I saw 3 keepers in Charlton colours last season and John Sullivan shaded it for me as the best so I'm happy that we've signed him on a permanent basis.
  • Options
    There needs to be competition for places, and cover for injuries, Sullivan and Robbie can fight for the first team place....I would be inclined to start with Robbie, but if he is off form, or even not a 'point saving' keeper, then Sullivan comes in. A straightforward situation that needs to be replicated elsewhere in the team.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Robbie has the potential to be an excellent keeper but he needs to keep on top of his weight - Sullivan is a good keeper and Robbie will know he has to earn his place. Robbie at his best is IMO a better keeper than Sullivan but he will know that he has to be at his best - for that reason an excellent signing.

It isn't our problem who comes out on top - we shoul;d just be happy that we have 2 good keepers.