Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sullivan Signs on a Free transfer from Millwall

124»

Comments

• Options
    imo if Robbo passed on the BOGOFF from Pizzahut he would be one of the best keepers in the division.  As for shots from outside the box, just how many has Paul Robinson missed - and he played for England (mind you I always wondered if he was shortsighted he missed so many.)  Still always good to have competition for a place.
  • Options
    I am pleased that Sullivan has signed. When Dailley got sent off the last time, Sullivan was in the standing up for Dailley and arguing the case with the ref. No other Charlton  player putting up such a good fight. I think he has spirit and a really good attitude and good keeping. I am pleased we have such a good character in the team. Welcome to the club.
  • Options
    You cant defend the indefensible. Elliot is beaten from distance far too often. Agree with Rothko, he doesnt move his feet well enough.

Said it before on here, he doesnt look like a natural athlete. He picks up far too many niggles.

If someone is offering 6 figures then he should be shipped out.

Whatever he does he I firmly believe Sullivan will be #1 sooner rather than later.
    Robbie's not fit enough.  He started last season in incredible form, but he was also streets ahead of this season fitness wise.  If he can sort that out he'd be a very good keeper.

Paul Robinson has the same issues. I agree Sullivan will be #1, up to Robbie to get fit and prove he's still got it. 

To be fair though, a fat Robbie still has no competition in Worner.  Perhaps like when Randolph was around the competition will do Robbie no end of favours.
  • Options
    also we missed out last year on Warner at no 4 with lowly Tranmere, guess he didnt want to play second fiddle to Elliot
    Think the decision was more to do with him wanting to stay in Scouseland rather than moving to London.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When you see Ben Roberts spending 10 minutes on long range shots in warm up with a keeper, you know there is an issue. I don't think Elliott uses his feet well enough to deal with stuff hit from distance, he has too much time to think. 

As for organisation, he doesn't talk enough, maybe in the posh seats in the East you don't notice it, but Elliott doesn't talk enough, or boss his defenders about.
    This.

I really like Robbie. He is a fan as well. I have a fantastic picture of him taken with my son outside the Ground after the game. Unfortunately I just don't think he is a good enough keeper, even at this level.

He may stay first choice, I doubt it. He may be courted by higher Division clubs. I doubt he will walk into a higher Division club and go straight into the first team.

I said a few months ago that we need to sort out the spine of the team including the keeper. This is a big signing imho.
  • Options
    It's so easy to say Randolph should have been number 1 now we've had a poor season and Robbie hasn't been at his best. I agree he gets injured to much and it's great that Sullivan will push him for competition, but when we had to make the choice between Randolph and Robbie I think we made the right one. I'd rather have a keeper committed to wear the shirt than one who wasn't willing to fight to earn it. Randolph got told he had a fight on his hands and chose to hoof it rather than take the challenge. I'll take an unfit Elliot over a fella who decides to seek pastures new rather than fight. If we'd kept Randolph and jettisoned Elliot how would Randolph react to Sullivan's signing? He'd probably have handed in a transfer request by now
  • Options

Part 2

11HartlepoolKean4.13

12OldhamBrill3.97

13SouthamptonDavis3.94

14BournemouthJalal3.91

15RochdaleFon Wills3.86

16BrentfordLee3.71

17BristolRoversAnderson3.54

18OldhamAmos3.52

19YeovilHenderson3.46

20Notts CBurch3.44

21Notts CNelson 3.36

22ColchesterCousins3.35

23PlymouthButon3.28

24CHARLTONELLIOT3.24

25ColchesterWilliams3.21

26Dag&RedRoberts3.14

27MKDMarti3.00

28ExeterJones2.90

29HartlepoolFlinders2.89

Think what Elliot's stats would look like without the 20 stops he made away at Bournemouth !
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    According to ESPN his stats including the last game go up to 3.3  lifting him up 1 position to 23. (assuming no changes to other keepers Im not going to go through them all again.)  
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Pleased with this signing.

I cant agree with everyone giving Robbie a hard time, he is Charlton through and through, he has had some very good games for us and always gives 100%, I expect him to move onto bigger and better things and good luck to the lad. That said I think Randalph is a better keeper then both Elliot and Sullivan and it was foley to sell him.

• Options
    Some VERY harsh comments about Robbie on here folks. Yeah, he makes mistakes, but you think he'd be in this monkey league if he didn't? Can't see why people assume that sullivan is a replacement for Rob. Hopefully we can keep both of them and if they're competitive and professional they should spur each other on to win the place in the team. Some players rise to competition, others fall away. We will see...................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think Randolph going was a footballing decision. We had NO money, we had 2 well paid keepers and one of them was out of contract. I think we scraped together as much as we could offer Randolph but it wasn't enough and he left. If Randolph had been in contract and Elliot had been out of contract I would guess that it would have been Elliot being offered whatever we could find behind the sofa and he would probably have left instead.

I don't think it was a matter of who was the best keeper but who we had under contract and who we could afford.

If a mistake was made it was when Parkinson chose Elliot over Randolph to replace Weaver, however at the time even though I prefered Randolph I think Elliot was the best option as the atmosphere at the Valley was so toxic that choosing "one of ours" was the right way to go.

Personally I would like to see Sulivan as the first choice or even better to see Elliot go for some cash.

• Options
    Some VERY harsh comments about Robbie on here folks. Yeah, he makes mistakes, but you think he'd be in this monkey league if he didn't? Can't see why people assume that sullivan is a replacement for Rob. Hopefully we can keep both of them and if they're competitive and professional they should spur each other on to win the place in the team. Some players rise to competition, others fall away. We will see...................

You can say its harsh. Sadly Robbie has not been as effective a keeper as we have needed. He is not the only problem though, the lack of pace in the centre of defence also needs addressing.

I don't know Robbie so its difficult to know what is the best way to motivate him. Maybe bringing in a real competitor for the No 1 spot will be the motivating factor for him.
  • Options
    Robbie's not been horrible he's just been injury prone, it#'s not easy to get a good run of form going when you get going and then injured 
    also am i the only one to realize his downfall this season came after woodman left for newcastle? just a thought.
  • Options
    Can't believe some people can't see the potential Robbie has to be honest. I thought the Randolph, Robbie choice was made correctly irrespective of non football factors. People say he is quiet on the pitch - that's rubbish too - he is more vocal than most keepers. His big issue is his weight - whilst not being fat in the true sense, he can be a bit podgy for a keeper sometimes - I think this factionally slows his reactions and means a few get through that shouldn't - but when fully fit he could definitely play much higher and bringing in some real competition (as Sullivan clearly is) will IMO inspire him too raise his game a few notches.
  • Options

Pleased with this signing.

I cant agree with everyone giving Robbie a hard time, he is Charlton through and through, he has had some very good games for us and always gives 100%, I expect him to move onto bigger and better things and good luck to the lad. That said I think Randalph is a better keeper then both Elliot and Sullivan and it was foley to sell him.

It wasn't Theo that got rid Randolph it was PP ;0)
  • Options

John Sullivan he's a red, he's a red, he's a red, John Sullivan he's a red, he hates Millwall!

(Taken from Birmingham's Craig Gardner he's a blue, he hates Villa)

Thoughts...

• Options
    edited June 2011
    "I respect Robbie but there would be no point my signing if I was coming here to sit on the bench. My aim is to get in the team and that was the aim when I was at Brighton, at Yeovil and at Millwall.
    "Unfortunately for me, the goalkeeper at Millwall, David Forde, was unbelievable. He's only missed about one game in three years and that was when I played in a Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie.
    "He's a brilliant professional, and although I didn't play many games at Millwall, I've learnt a hell of a lot from a great group of players.
  • Options

You can say its harsh. Sadly Robbie has not been as effective a keeper as we have needed. He is not the only problem though, the lack of pace in the centre of defence also needs addressing.

I don't know Robbie so its difficult to know what is the best way to motivate him. Maybe bringing in a real competitor for the No 1 spot will be the motivating factor for him.

The four players in front of him masquerading as defenders have hardly helped him look good and have made him look worse than he is.

As we've discussed many times, he's not a natural athlete, but a decent shot stopper but is prone to dropping the odd cross. However a stronger back four and he'd look a lot better.

• Options
    Sullivan said: "If the whole club can get behind the gaffer and the fans can get behind the players, anything can happen."

Pigs may flyFood for thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well it would be very disapointing if he didn't wouldn't it?
  • Options
    How can you lot be taking about one of our players like this? We've got to get behind the team and let Rob compete for the shirt with the fans behind him. He's got great potential.
  • Options
    Spoke to a Millwall fan today re John Sullivan , he'd never hear of him!