Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England U21

Comments

• Options
    same problem running through the whole of the english game and has never been much different but is certainly as bad as ever - no quality ball players in midfield -  how we started the tournament with mancienne, who i thought was a defender, in midfield, just about sums it up. 2 centre halfs look decent as does Sturridge. The rest - the usual collection of athletes i guess.

I wonder if better coaching might help?
    Must be worth a try surely?

couldn't agree more but more importantly is to focus on selecting the players with talent rather than those who are predominantly athletic. Natural talent doesn't need half as much coaching.
  • Options
    Yep "predominantly athletic"
  • Options
    pearce would not know a ball player if it bit him
  • Options
    Positively, they were easily the better team  Negatively, Henderson looked pretty avearge- Walker  had less of a game than against Spain. Thought again they lacked cutting edge from midfield though Lansbury did improve things.
  • Options
    Too scared to play and too scared to express themselves. No real improvement on the other night, given the relative levels of the opposition
  • Options

Stuart Pearce as coach sums it up. A mediocre player has become a mediocre coach. The FA do not have a clue. Ray Clemence is STILL on the England coaching staff!

Do I not like that

• Options
    Stuart Pearce a mediocre player? Do me a favour.
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise me if they went out next game but wouldn't surprise me if they won the tournament either.
  • Options
    An overrated full back who appealed to the tabloid press as 'psycho' and the football watching public lapped it all up. That label sums him up, a psychotic mediocrity as both player and coach, I M H O of course
  • Options

Pearce lengendary full back, never ever mediocre was the best full back i have seen play, the fella could tackle like no ones business, he cared he was a leader of men, he was an inspirational captain, his feekicks were excellent.

he may not have been in the full back of today mould, but he wouldve been 1st name on every team sheet if he played for me

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would have had a job staying on the pitch today but was very effective and a better player technically than people gave him credit for. We can say Ukraine are no good but Germany and Italy didn't manage to qualify for the tournament and they did as did we.
  • Options

Pearce lengendary full back, never ever mediocre was the best full back i have seen play, the fella could tackle like no ones business, he cared he was a leader of men, he was an inspirational captain, his feekicks were excellent.

he may not have been in the full back of today mould, but he wouldve been 1st name on every team sheet if he played for me

Agree entirely. Lincs addick I think you are so far off the mark on this one, I will have to mentally put you in my list of "not worth reading".
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Stuart Pearce as coach sums it up. A mediocre player has become a mediocre coach. The FA do not have a clue. Ray Clemence is STILL on the England coaching staff!

Do I not like that

Think you're memory is playing tricks on you again Lincs.

Charlton - Div 3 in the 60's in front of 4000 crowds. Now Pearce a mediocre player. I'm with Cordoban, I'll put you in the not worth reading list at the moment, as your spouting ballcocks.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    An overrated full back who appealed to the tabloid press as 'psycho' and the football watching public lapped it all up. That label sums him up, a psychotic mediocrity as both player and coach, I M H O of course

He may well be a mediocre manager but between 1989-1994 he was probably the best left-back in the world before injuries took their toll and he lost a bit of pace.

I saw him play against us plenty of times in the old Division One for Forest and he was the best player I saw appear against us apart from John Barnes at his peak for Liverpool.

• Options
    I remember watching going in for a tackle and he scared me -if he scared me when I was only watching, how must the player being tackled have felt? But as has been said he had ability to go with his 'competitivness' and was for a time the best left back in the world.
  • Options

Agree entirely. Lincs addick I think you are so far off the mark on this one, I will have to mentally put you in my list of "not worth reading".
    I remember watching going in for a tackle and he scared me -if he scared me when I was only watching, how must the player being tackled have felt? But as has been said he had ability to go with his 'competitivness' and was for a time the best left back in the world.

These comments and others like them serve to reinforce my point.: Hard tackler, excellent free kicks: is that it? ..  such qualities are still regarded as the epitomy of success in  English football. Accurate passing, vision, ball control?... oh no, he was an 'ard geezer, a leader of men, we're talking football here not Viking warfare.

English international football will never be succesful so long as old lags who have served their time and become trusties in the system have any say whatsoever in team management and selection.

If we all regard blood and guts attitudes as more virtuous qualities than skill and team work, then admit it, and accept that England will become a pariah in a football world which has moved into the 21st and is not stuck like psycho Pearce et al in the mid 19th century.

• Options
    I feel misquoted - Pearce was an accomplished left backas well as a hard nut. I do agree with what you are saying generally but wouldn't use Pearce to illustrate the point - He would have walked into most national sides, if not all of them at his peak.
  • Options
    I feel misquoted - Pearce was an accomplished left backas well as a hard nut. I do agree with what you are saying generally but wouldn't use Pearce to illustrate the point - He would have walked into most national sides, if not all of them at his peak.

agreed, he was a man for his times, that is, in the period in which he played league football. My main point is: What qualifications, skill set and insight does Pearce bring to the England set up other than he has been a successful camp follower and spear shaker at the FA after failing dismally as a league manager?

You think FIFA is corrupt? FIFA can still learn a lot fron the (English) F A

• Options
    Well I think his record at under 21 level results wise stands up. The point I have made is that England could quite possibly go out on Sunday but if they beat the Czech republic you could see them getting to the final and then who knows! You can argue that results at under 21 level are not important and it is the progression of players to the full team that should be what is judged on.  
  • Options
    1 nil up good goal by wellbeck see the last 15 out and we are through
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lansbury so much better than henderson imo
  • Options
    Czech Republic score on the 89th minute
  • Options
    Poor goal to concede aswell
  • Options
    gotta say same old england even at this level. decent defensively, impressed with the two centre backs...just no invention going forward at all.
  • Options
    I thought their problem going forwards was the inabilty to get bodies into the box which is normally an English strength. They were the better team but lost it when they decided to go into defensive mode, clearing every ball aimlessly which meant it came back at them.
  • Options
    Hey, Jack Wilshere had a nice holiday.

The difference is, Spain have players who were in a world cup winning squad out in Denmark, where we've blown a factory worth of smoke up Wilshere and Carroll's arses, and they aren't expected to play in something both I think they, and there clubs think is below them.
  • Options
    Jordan Cousins is playing for the u17's now on eurosport
  • Options
    Yes, they would probably have made the difference. All in all though, England were unlucky - were better team against Czechs and Ukraine and held the eventual winners, albeit with a bit of fortune.
  • Options
    How's he doing Folev?
  • Options
    He looks comfortable on the ball, not giving anything away. Nothing to do really so far, England really should be ahead.