Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England U21

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    U21's same old, same old...........
  • Options
    You are not te better team if you score less than the opposition. Fact. England once again too scared to go forward, but when we do we haven't got enough quality players to produce 'special' moments...........it would have been similar even if the very, very over rated Wilshire and Carroll had played
  • Options
    See out the last minute and we're ..... oh Bugger
  • Options
    Stuart Pearce a "mediocre" player?

Err ...... you can tell him that - I'll just watch.
  • Options
    Didn't watch it. Don't agree that Wilshere and Carroll are over-rated. 

What does f*ck me off big time is the Premier League was founded to enhance the chances of England succeeding in major tournaments, yet as usual, the Clubs win over the national team. We fail in major tournament because our successful top league has too much power and influence. I can't see it ever changing.
  • Options
    And there is the rest of us thinking the Premier League was created for the benefit of the big clubs! I don't think it is fair to be critical of England U21s, they lost the first goal in the 89th minute and would have desevedly got to the semis. I think they did what most teams do from a winning position (stop playing the football that got yourself in that position) but to be fair it was only for 5 minutes and a lucky deflection led to the equaliser. The winner was down to us pushing up desperately. Just bad luck mostly -it happens.
  • Options
    Muttley - the main problem was the first two games against Spain and Ukraine. We were poor, created very little and our passing was dire. Michael Mancienne was accomodated for some reason and looked out of his depth. Overall, a very poor tournament for the U21's.......once again. The final 5 minutes last night, when composure was needed, we were all over the place.
  • Options
    Well, hopefully they will learn lessons - which is what I thought these sort of tournaments were primarily about -but Czechs are thought to be one of the better world teams and we were better and had better stats in the game.
  • Options
    Didn't say they were over rated, said they were over hyped.

I just don't buy the tiredness or they've made it argument because he's played 4 times for the senior side. Mata and Martinez who are playing for Spain, have played more for the full side, and both went to South Africa last summer. The Spanish take tournament experience seriously, so expect all the side who will probably win the U21s in London next year for the Olympics and winning that. It was the 2000 Olympics which started the international careers of Xavi, Puyol and Capdevila. 

We on the other hand will see Premier League managers stop there players playing because they might be a bit tired.

• Options
    Phil Jones looked an absolute calamity at times, Smalling looked much more assured, amazing what a season in a top 4 club can do to you though. Wasn't impressed by Bertrand(?) or Henderson, Sinclair didn't really get involved as much as I thought he would either. Walker, Sturridge and Welbeck are very promising, Muamba struggled to pass it more than 10 yards but was great at breaking down play, the keeper wasn't very commanding, and the 11th player I can't remember. The subs didn't really swing things either way, but Lansbury went close with a freekick. 

Personally I thought there was far too much sideways passing in the back five from us, exactly the same as the full national side, Terry to Ferdinand, Ferdinand to Terry, Terry to Cole, Cole to Hart etc.etc. Just replace the names. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tactically poor and too negative in midfield. What is it with passing sideways and backwards in Central Midfield, before hitting it long? Henderson, Mancienne, Muamba and Rodwell have all looked limited and technically inferior.

Quote from Henry Winter in the DT " Two stats told the sorry tale: England managed only 2 goals in 270 mins of football and 61 unsuccessful long balls, more than any other side".

Unimpressed with Pearce. Obssessed with holding midfielders and played defenders out of position in midfield (Mancienne & Rose). The front players were isolated and fed on scraps, with only Sinclair in the last match and Walker on the right, getting forward in support. Where was the team pattern of play? The next England manager? I hope not.

• Options
    @Tutt-Tutt, agree with you that Mancienne was played out of position but not Danny Rose.  Rose is predominantly a left-sided midfielder/winger and only filled in at LB for Spurs when Benny A-E was injured at the end of last season. 
  • Options
    JohnBoy - fair enough on Rose. Thought I saw him on the box towards the end of the season at left back against Blackpool in place of Assou-Ekotto?
  • Options
    If the U21's is a taster of Englands future then we might as well give up now.
  • Options

No Man_About_Town said it.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fair enough
  • Options
    If they had won the game we wouldn't all be so doom and gloom and from the evidence I saw, we were unlucky not to....very unlucky.
  • Options
    I thought before their second it was a definite pen to us but the ref bottled it and gave a free kick for the previous challenge, which looked our way anyway but went to them.
  • Options
    Yes, it was as clear a penalty as you get but I thought the ref gave offside.
  • Options

No Man_About_Town said it.
    Explain the difference please? Both players rated too highly for the stage they are at, plus any young player who is too tired to play at a major championship makes me wonder about him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pearce lengendary full back, never ever mediocre was the best full back i have seen play, the fella could tackle like no ones business, he cared he was a leader of men, he was an inspirational captain, his feekicks were excellent.

he may not have been in the full back of today mould, but he wouldve been 1st name on every team sheet if he played for me

Agree entirely. Lincs addick I think you are so far off the mark on this one, I will have to mentally put you in my list of "not worth reading".

Stuart Pearce as coach sums it up. A mediocre player has become a mediocre coach. The FA do not have a clue. Ray Clemence is STILL on the England coaching staff!

Do I not like that

Think you're memory is playing tricks on you again Lincs.

Charlton - Div 3 in the 60's in front of 4000 crowds. Now Pearce a mediocre player. I'm with Cordoban, I'll put you in the not worth reading list at the moment, as your spouting ballcocks.

So I was a few years out, 1972 etc and not 1969, but I was there, were you? ... and the much vaunted tough guy Stuart Pearce? ... cant coach, cant talk proper and cant have a real row .. ask Basil Boli
  • Options
    Yes, that's about the time I got my S/T & have renewed every year since  :-)
  • Options
    No-one doubts his passion as a player but this thread is about the under 21s and as coach he should be judged by their performance.  He has a squad of who appear to be highly talented individuals but their performances in this tournament have been mediocre to poor.  That is down to the coach.  There have been some who bemoan the absence of Wilshere and Carroll but every team has to cope with absences from time to time and it is up to the coach to make adjustments.  I for one would not have been happy if Pearce had been offered the Charlton job when it came up and after this tournament I remain even more fixed in that view.
  • Options
    Thought I’d bump an old thread rather than start a new one.

Watching the u21s, easy enough game v Andorra - certainly bigger challenges ahead. They’ve completely dominated as you’d expect (although Andorra have just scored on a break away).

but Jacob Ramsey, what a talent. He’s had a good season at Villa and he’s really stood out tonight. So good on the ball, great goal and always looks for the forward pass when in possession.
    Tommy Doyle, at Cardiff on loan from Man City is another one that’s had a great game.