Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury 2011

124»

Comments

• Options
    IMO it's all gone downhill since The Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music 1970.   (Catchy name don't you think?)
    Here's the line-up:
    The Byrds, Canned Heat, Colosseum, Donovan, Fairport Convention, Maynard
    Ferguson Big Band, Flock, Formerly Fat Harry, Keef Hartley, Hot Tuna,
    It's A Beautiful Day, Jefferson Airplane, Dr. John, Led Zeppelin, John
    Mayall, Country Joe, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Santana, Steppenwolf,
    Johnny Winter, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

Anyone at Glasto catch Anna Calvi - was she any good?
  • Options

Easy to sit there at home and say "oh it's a shit festival nowdays"

But quite frankly, it still is the best festival in the world bar NONE.

Have you been to a festival outside of the UK?
  • Options
    U2 at Glastonbury is the ultimate sell out from Eavis. The band disappeared up Bono's arse after Rattle and Hum. The crowd shots whilst they were playing made me want to vomit and piss blood at the same time. I remember when Glasto was a real festival. Beyonce.....ffs. Dr Phibes must be turning in his grave. Middle class shamefest now.
    that totally sums it up ... Beyonce, kool & the gang .. more Purley Orchid than Glastonbury. Anyway a bunch of old jock drunks a k a 'The Average White Band' would have blown them both away. Saw them near Hudd'field last year .. oh yes
  • Options
    anyone else see Janelle Monae? I didn't think I particularly liked her music, branding it as interesting R&B perhaps .... but she put on an amazing performance, the songs were great and could not be pigeon-holed into R&B that's for sure.
    And what a splendid quiff!
    Shall have to revisit the album.
    she was Excellent .....first time i have seen her
    I got her last album a few months ago and it is absolutely brilliant, not really my sort of stuff usually but there isn't much I don't like on it. Everytime I have seen her perform on tv she is brilliant as well, such a good voice and she actually sings unlike Beyonce who has to shout all the time
  • Options

Kaiser Chiefs always put on a good show.

Re:Beyonce..yes, talented but festival act...nah, not for me. 

• Options
    IMO it's all gone downhill since The Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music 1970.   (Catchy name don't you think?)
    Here's the line-up:
    The Byrds, Canned Heat, Colosseum, Donovan, Fairport Convention, Maynard Ferguson Big Band, Flock, Formerly Fat Harry, Keef Hartley, Hot Tuna, It's A Beautiful Day, Jefferson Airplane, Dr. John, Led Zeppelin, John Mayall, Country Joe, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Santana, Steppenwolf, Johnny Winter, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

I missed out on that one!.. It's a Beautiful Day made one of my all time favorite albums: 'Marrying Maiden'. All festival bands by law should be made to include either a steel guitarist or a fiddler, preferably both 
  • Options
    Is she an act or a Sexually transmitted disease?
  • Options

Glasto now is too big. Too  many people covering too big an area. No intimacy. Only arena bands can fill the enormous space. it's like being inside a concentration camp for a long weekend. The food and drink are extortionate in price and the security guards were kicked out of the SS for being too cruel.

It's all about money and putting on a show for the BBC. I wonder how much the Beyoncé Organisation was paid for putting on that shower of disco clichés in the middle of an English farm in high summer?.  Anyway, I will never go again so .. am I worried? .... Nah !!!!

• Options
    Some people really are miserable! Get a bit of joy in your lives!
  • Options
    that's what we want and not a bunch of corporates ripping off silly middle class wanna be hippies ans soppy old Tory chairmen kicking the (plastic) bucket in a portaloo.. A bit of joy would be seeing Van Halen or Slayer (or anyone) playing loud enough to knock down the perimeter fence which can probably be seen from the moon .. and on that topic .. did 'man' ever get there? Capricorn 1 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you what?
  • Options
    you what?
    He said that Glastonbury hasn't been the same since they they erected the giant fence.
  • Options
    London Community Gospel Choir in 2010 in the Acoustic Tent on Sunday afternoon was one of the best atmosphere's I've ever seen & heard, Uplifting doesn't even begin to describe it!

The first time we discovered the Rabbit Hole in the Park Field was quite a moment too.

Gutted I couldn't be there this year...
  • Options
    Highlights of the weekend fella?
  • Options
    Highlights at the weekend fella?

No, his hairdresser couldn't make it.
  • Options
    Heard the Q for the carsey was particularly bad this year.   ;-)
  • Options

Easy to sit there at home and say "oh it's a shit festival nowdays"

But quite frankly, it still is the best festival in the world bar NONE.

I'd sooner go to Cropredy.
  • Options
    Highlights of the weekend fella?
    Miles Kane and Friendly Fires were real stand outs. Honourable mentions for The Horrors and Joy Formidable. I really enjoyed Coldplay too, I didn't think I'd like them to be honest but I was feeling pretty fragile at the time so they were just what I needed!
  • Options
    London Community Gospel Choir in 2010 in the Acoustic Tent on Sunday afternoon was one of the best atmosphere's I've ever seen & heard, Uplifting doesn't even begin to describe it!

The first time we discovered the Rabbit Hole in the Park Field was quite a moment too.

Gutted I couldn't be there this year...
    Did you go to the Unfairground? If so, what was it like?!
  • Options
    Really enjoyed Coldplay and thought the Fleet Foxes were really good , Chemical Brothers had the crowd rocking but the highlight for me was Jessie J taking the young girl out of the crowd to sing with her on her throne.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what were The Killers like at Hyde Park? Good reviews of their Scala gig last week.
  • Options

Man pretends to be female police officer to sneak into music festival

With no ticket to see headlining band Kasabian play at the Isle of Wight
    festival, Daniel Tredinnick decided to break into a nearby police car and
    steal a bag containing a policewoman's uniform.

He then snuck into the festival - where Kate Moss and friends celebrated her
    hen night, a court heard yesterday.

Once inside, the avid music fan managed to fool both festival-goers and
    security guards and even began carrying out official duties by breaking up a
    fight, helping find a missing woman and chatting to senior officers.

• Options
    Ha ha, quality .....so he eventually got nicked?
  • Options
    Yeah, miserable bar stewards. Rest of article here...

Trained first-aider Tredinnick, of Shanklin in the Isle of Wight, then
    assisted paramedics as they treated an injured reveller.

It was two-and-a-half hours before a keen-eyed security man spotted Tredinnick
    was not wearing a tie or hat and demanded to see his ID.

He was then arrested after showing a fake detective seargent's badge.

Defending, Keith Verrinder, said his client had actually been quite useful
    during the deception.

"It could be said he did no particular harm while dressed as a police
    officer. Strangely enough, he did more good than harm. He says now it was a
    very stupid thing to do.

"He felt it was childish and quite ridiculous but it seemed like a good
    idea at the time," he said.

Tredinnick, who pleaded guilty to stealing a police uniform and impersonating
    an officer, was given a 16-week suspended sentence.

• Options
    Just got back from glastonbury, Arcadia and Shangri la was incredible !! Stood next to Wayne Rooney and his crew briefly watching Wu Tang.
    One of my best weeks ever for sure.
  • Options
    Did standing next to Wayne make it better or worse/
  • Options
    you what?
    He said that Glastonbury hasn't been the same since they they erected the giant fence.
    nice to see that some1 understands me !!
  • Options
    Did standing next to Wayne make it better or worse/
    no different, did seem like an angry bunch though
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    just got back from my brothers who got a last minute free pass to the festival. he said it was great during the day being on his own, eating when he wants, not waiting for anyone or compromising on bands etc but not so great in the evening not having mates to meet up with. 
    On the saturday night he got so drunk on 9% cider (with 3 shots of brandy) with a mate he managed to meet up with, that he missed all headliners and doesn't remember much after Janelle Monae - who he said was amazing. We just watched it on iplayer as I hadn't seen her set. 

In previous years we've gone together and had a big group of us camping together. This year he packed up sunday morning and left before the end. he said it was strange but a brilliant glastonbury as the line up was awesome (for the music he likes and plays on his podcast) but he hopes to go back in 2013 with friends/family for a livelier one and I defo want to be there.