Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton's Top Four Premiership Signings

edited June 2011 in General Charlton

Recently been asked by a journalist to provide my best four and worst four Premiership signings Charlton made. Will cover the worst four seperately tomorrow, but below are my best four.

Who would you include / exclude ?
What would your top four order be ?

4. Paulo Di Canioimage

Beating his chest and kissing the badge, Paulo Di Canio was a travelling cheerleader for every club he represented throughout his career. ‘zis ees ma club, zees are ma people’ he would profess in various European towns, and the supporters of those respective clubs would without fail lap it up. And rightly so. 

Paulo Di Canio was not just passion personified, he also possessed sublime footballing quality. Not only did the supporters respond to it, more often than not so did his team mates, and nowhere was that last point seen so pertinently than in his solitary season at The Valley.

Paulo scored just 5 goals in his 33 Charlton appearances, but his impact was far wider reaching than that handful of goals. Whether through ability or aura, Paulo demanded a higher performance from his teammates, and every one of them responded to produce the highest league finish in over fifty years, and just three points off qualifying for the UEFA Cup. Had Scott Parker not demanded a move to Chelsea in the January window, which led to an end of season run-in that secured just four wins in sixteen games, many people believe that a minimum top-five finish and European football would have been attained with ease.  

Playing as a second striker, Paulo effectively was the conductor of the team and provided the second-highest number of assists in the Premiership that season.  The Boxing Day four-goal demolition of Chelsea, which cemented Charlton in fourth place and prompted Chelsea to purchase our star player, is now seen by many of the most pivotal game in Charlton’s Premiership stay.

Sadly in the summer, Paulo could not resist the calls once again from ‘ees club and ees people’ and returned to Italy. But his one season cameo left at The Valley both smiles and regret that it was not a longer stay in equal measures.

3. Chris Powell image

Little did we know in 1998 that the arrival of what appeared to be a solid, no-thrills left back from Derby for £825k would go on to herald not just arguably the most popular player in Charlton’s recent history, but also a potential manager of the club.

Chris Powell went on to make 270 appearances for the Addicks, and it is impossible to remember a poor performance. His consistency was rewarded with a surprise call-up to Sven’s England squad and it prompted just as much pride from the supporters as it did for the player.

A genuine nice guy, in an age where supporters began to grow detached from the growing celebrity culture of Premiership footballers and their vast wealth, Chris Powell was a refreshing reminder that it is possible for top-level footballers to still have a rapport and connection with the supporters.

His final appearance for the club was a five-minute cameo against Coventry, and having scored just two goals in his previous 269 appearances, it was immensely fitting that he signed-off with a goal that prompted tears and celebrations of World Cup-winning proportions.

Every one of us hopes dearly he can go on and emulate his playing achievements in his new managerial role.

2. Claus Jensenimage

Having rose from the Championship on a diet of solid, committed team ethic, the arrival of Claus Jensen in 2000 brought to The Valley a sense of skilful, international class not seen since Allan Simonsen’s brief stay in 1983.

Alongside the grit and guts of an emerging Scott Parker, the majestic style of Jensen combined to provide a central midfield partnership of sufficient quality that provided the platform for Charlton to outperform.

A silky craftsman, the Danish international effortlessly glided around the pitch, retaining possession and providing creativity. So laid back, it would not surprise if there was a recliner fitted in the dressing for Claus to relax with a Martini and a cigar during half time.

His classic chip from outside the area in Charlton’s 4-2 win at Highbury in November 2001 against an Arsenal side that included Henry, Bergkamp, Viera, Pires, Ljungberg and Cole  (and actually won trophies), was one of the most iconic goals in Charlton’s history.

Claus stayed four seasons at The Valley, scoring 17 goals in 134 appearances and more than repaying his £4m transfer fee. He joined Fulham in surprise move in 2004 for £1.25m.

1. Darren Bent

What does Harry Redknapp know, eh ? Darren arrived at The Valley in 2005 when Charlton’s rising years were beginning to reach a plateau, but his constant movement and goal threat whilst playing as an isolated striker gave Charlton a new tactical dimension which allowed Danny Murphy more time in midfield, and helped re-energise the side.

Darren opened his Charlton account with a brace on his debut against Sunderland and never looked back, scoring in his next three matches and being named the Premiership Player of the Month in his first few weeks with the club.  His eighteen league goals in his first season saw him finish the highest scoring Englishman in the Premiership, and runaway victor of the Charlton player of the year award.

Sadly, Darren’s goals the following season could not prevent Charlton from being relegated, but his 37 goals in just 79 appearances not only secured him a club record £16.5m move to Tottenham, but will also see Darren remembered as the arguably the finest top level striker the club has ever possessed.

Comments

• Options
    Would probably add Danny Murphy to that list but would not know who to take out in his place
  • Options
    For me Claus Jensen would be the most important - he gave us the class that enabled us to survive which we didn't have in 1998. It's one thing - and it is of course crucial - to have the grafters like Graham Stuart in the team, but to cope with the Premier League an extra bit of class is needed, and pretty much every goal he scored for us showed exactly that.
  • Options

1. Darren Bent

2. Claus Jensen

3. Danny Murphy

4. Chirs Powell

5. Scot Carson

Cant think of any others if im honest may change if i knew all the signings

• Options
    matt holland
  • Options

Controversially, I'd put Jason Euell above Di Canio.

Although Di Canio had a spectucular one-season with us where we performed well (but ultimately achieved little) - Euell provided us crucial goals in our second stint of the Premier League (think he joined in 2001) which ultimately kept us up for a couple of seasons, allowing us to remain in the top flight for longer than we expected/hoped.

• Options
    Di Canio was a legend and one of our highest profile signings, Powell is a legend, should be knighted in the relatively near future, Jensen is my profile picture, enough said, and Bent was our best player in our premiership years, and is one of the top 3 strikers in the Premiership IMO

Murphy, Young, Euell, Kiely and Holland all deserve mentions
  • Options
    Plenty of others were very good or important signings but I'd agree those four are the best. Don't think I'd change the order either.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kiely wasn't a prem signing. I originally had him in my 4.
  • Options

1. Claus Jensen

2. Luke Young

3. Darren Bent

4. Chris Powell

• Options

*Dons tin hat*

£1,350,000 for 7 Premiership seasons = decent value in footballing terms.

Radostin Kishishev.

However difficult to know who to remove. Di Canio or Jensen probably. Bent D has to be in as does Chris Powell.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    36 minutes Len - I'm disappointed!
  • Options

Hmm, best signings.  Think I agree with the 4 AFKA's put up, but Johansson and Euell were very good signings at the time and made invaluable contributions.  I think Mark Fish and HH should get a mention, and unless it's limited to permanent signings Jorge Costa was a key signing to cover Rufus' injury. Kishishev is arguably the most underrated player we've ever had, and cost peanuts.

Danny Murphy didn't do it often enough for me to be anywhere near this list.  Kish and Smertin would be ahead of him for me.  A few decent games before throwing his toys out the pram and joining Spurs doth not a great signing make. 

• Options

*Dons tin hat*

£1,350,000 for 7 Premiership seasons = decent value in footballing terms.

Radostin Kishishev.

However difficult to know who to remove. Di Canio or Jensen probably. Bent D has to be in as does Chris Powell.

This
  • Options

Little did we know in 2008 that the arrival of what appeared to be a solid, no-thrills left back from Derby for £825k would go on to herald not just arguably the most popular player in Charlton’s recent history, but also a potential manager of the club.

He only joined in 2008???

Done alot over the last 2 and a half years, aint he?!?

• Options
    Isn't it Paolo Di Canio rather than Paulo?
  • Options

Did we have a 700 thread on Net Addicks when Bent was about to sign, and now we are wetting ourselves over a Dagenham cast off, Jesus...

I'd go with AFKA's but Powell above Jensen

• Options
    how many games did jorge costa play?
  • Options

Controversially, I'd put Jason Euell above Di Canio.

Although Di Canio had a spectucular one-season with us where we performed well (but ultimately achieved little) - Euell provided us crucial goals in our second stint of the Premier League (think he joined in 2001) which ultimately kept us up for a couple of seasons, allowing us to remain in the top flight for longer than we expected/hoped.

Nothing controversial in that for me WSS. I am constantly staggered at the amount of stick Euell still gets whereas his record speaks for itself and he was a large part of us establishing ourselves in the Prem. (No doubt someone will crack some comment about his non ability to trap a ball to this post!)

Having Paulo was great fun and as AFKA states helped raise everyone elses game but for me Euell was a better, all around, signing. Agree with the others though.

• Options
    No way Murphy. 6 good games in one and a half seasons.

Costa is one person I could add but was he here long enough? Yes, in a different way had the impact of di canio and was a huge boost to our profile.

Euell instead of Jensen. Not popular but maybe.
  • Options
    how many games did jorge costa play?
    Just 7 fewer than Di Canio, 24. He came at a time when things were looking really dodgy for us, Rufus had knackered his knee and we had a bit of a crisis at the back.  Costa took us by the scruff of the neck and made us competitive again. Not the quickest, but as canny as they come. .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1.Powell

2.Jensen

3.Bent

4.Di Canio

5.Holland

• Options
    Actually, I'd swap Holland for Jorge Costa
  • Options
    I'm actually feeling quite tearful remembering the good ol days. Cherish the memories as you never know if we'll have them again...........
  • Options
    Dean Kiely, top top quality, especially his kicking (well, maybe not that bit!). His saves against Christophe Dugarry live on sky are still amongst my favourite memories of football.

Other three already said, D.Bent, C.Jensen, Di Canio.
  • Options

1. Bent

2. Powell

3. Jensen

4. Stuart

Aside from Bent I've gone for players who we signed earlier in the Prem years - the ones that gave us the platform to stay there. Might have also found a spot for Johannsson even. If the question was 'who were our best players?' then it might've been a different list.

• Options
    Feeeesh.  certainly over Di Canio.
  • Options

1) Bent

2) Euell

3) JJ

4) Powell

• Options
    No way Murphy should be on the list.
  • Options

I think the 4 you have there are pretty much spot on. Would possibly put Euell in over Di Canio on the grounds that JE helped to cement us a prem team wheras PDC joined when we were at our best.

Would never let Murphy near this list. Less than a dozen good appearences and then strolling around sulking because he thought he was bigger than us. Still does it at Fulham but his bird is probably now too old and ugly to be in Hollyoaks so they just accept their lot

• Options
    I think I'd have Jorge Costa instead of Chris Powell in AFKA's list