Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Foreign Language Films - Love or Hate em ?

Comments

• Recently bought Cronos, Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, as I hadn't seen any of them. Watched Cronos and was impressed, it's an earlier Del Toro film incase anyone was wondering, well worth a watch. Will watch the other two at some point soon. Recently watched Headhunters, a little disappointed but still decent. As previously mentioned, Goodbye Lenin, Oldboy, La Haine, Troll Hunter, Battle Royale, Die Welle etc all very good. Also bought a Herzog/Kinski collection but haven't watched any of them yet either.
  • Hate - apart from Betty blue and city of gods (and a thousand black men called George - German)
  • Just watched Cafe De Flore.....lump in the throat stuff.....brilliant, and the soundtrack is magnificent.

• Easy Money - Sweden- brought to the UK by a fan (Martin Scorsese). Crime thriller. Recommended.
  • Foreign films late on BBC2 were the only thing to wank to in the 70's, without having to exercise your imagination as well as your wrist...
  • Amelie was a quality film
  • Wadjda. Saudi Arabian film, very good. Makes you feel very lucky to be where you at in your life!
  • Watched 'Intouchables' the other night, t'was very good.
  • Watched 'Intouchables' the other night, t'was very good.

Is that the French film? About a paraplegic and his helper?
  • Yeah that's the one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seen some great films over the last couple of months, thanks to this thread. A lot I have been unable to get either from Sky or Netflix/Lovefilm etc.

Not seen a mention for a Danish/Swedish tv series The Bridge? Anyone else seen it, was on Virgin on demand until recently The lead woman character was excellent (she was tasty too and you get to see it all as well).
  • Seen some great films over the last couple of months, thanks to this thread. A lot I have been unable to get either from Sky or Netflix/Lovefilm etc.

Not seen a mention for a Danish/Swedish tv series The Bridge? Anyone else seen it, was on Virgin on demand until recently The lead woman character was excellent (she was tasty too and you get to see it all as well).

The Bridge is fantastic. Second series starts on BBC4 in January. I recommend Borgen as well although it's a political based show not a thriller. Superb TV
  • Yes on demand only appears to have series 3 of Borgen and starts at about episode 5. I will look out for it though. Surprising how you get used to and actually enjoy the subtitles.

Enjoyed the Killing but could not get on with Wallander. Is that worth persevering with Beds?
  • Yes on demand only appears to have series 3 of Borgen and starts at about episode 5. I will look out for it though. Surprising how you get used to and actually enjoy the subtitles.

Enjoyed the Killing but could not get on with Wallander. Is that worth persevering with Beds?

Yes. There are only three series. The final season finished on TV last saturday.

The Bridge is fantastic. Second series starts on BBC4 in January. I recommend Borgen as well although it's a political based show not a thriller. Superb TV
    The Anglo/french remake is on tv at the moment. It's called The Tunnel, but the premise is the same. I believe I read that the US are remaking it as well at the border with Mexico.

Great series. Dont see how season 2 can be better.

I'm sure I've already commented on this thread before, but my favourite foreign language films are probably City of God and Incendies.

• The second series of The Bridge starts at 9pm tonight on BBC4 with a double header. As stated above the first series was magnificent with the female cop an excellently cast character. Strongly recommended imo.
  • The second series of The Bridge starts at 9pm tonight on BBC4 with a double header. As stated above the first series was magnificent with the female cop an excellently cast character. Strongly recommended imo.

Thanks for reminding me ! Loved the first series.
  • Dead Sushi. Absolutely the maddest film I have ever seen. I recommend it ;-)
  • For those who like the Bridge & the Killing I would also recommend another Swedish cop series: Arne Dahl. It is an excellent series with interesting stories & a cast of great characters. The Scandinavians seem to have got this thing absolutely spot on.
  • For those who like the Bridge & the Killing I would also recommend another Swedish cop series: Arne Dahl. It is an excellent series with interesting stories & a cast of great characters. The Scandinavians seem to have got this thing absolutely spot on.

I second that - brilliant series. Just watched the original Swedish versions of the Millennium (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) trilogy, Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander is outstanding. The screenplays leave a bit to be desired compared with the original stories though, but I think some of that is down to a limited budget.
  • Sponsored links:

• Troll Hunter was on film.four last.night and i thought.it was quality.

not scary but enjoyable and thought the actor playing the hunter was superb
  • Try to watch Life is beautiful if you can. Brilliant and moving film.
  • The bridge is very good, not as good as Forbrydelsen IMHO but still a lot better than a lot of UK or US dramas.

Watched 'Quill' the other night too which I really enjoyed. It's a bitter sweet story of a guide dog in Japan. A bit soppy maybe, but as a dog owner it nearly had me in tears and the missus was sobbing away like a good 'un!
  • I got directed over here by bolloxbolder, thanks mate. Too bad I missed the chance to catch Trollhunter.
    Anyway he mentioned he'd not heard of Spiral. It's a French crime series, and also features a complex female character lead. The last series ran immediately after the Killing on BBC4 and it was interesting to contrast French and Danish society and how police forces and justice systems differ. The French police come across as pretty rough and inclined to cut corners. The lead is very sexy but in that department is absolutely eclipsed by the red headed bent lawyer woman. Not sure if another series in the works but all the past ones are gripping.
  • Aye and has a cocaine using detective who's taking money in on the side too, very French indeed! ;-)
  • Ive just started watching Spiral and have found it a bit of a let down after The Killing and The Bridge, all the production values seem a lot cheaper, shallow characters and dodgy camera work. Its interesting seeing how differently the french justice system works though. Not sure if I will watch the whole of the first series….
  • Getting back to films… I found Turin Horse incredibly powerful, others will find it extremely boring but I really enjoy Bela Tarr's films. Its a shame he's not going to be making anymore
  • I watch a lot of Foreign Films.....

Recently

The ABC of Death, pretty dreadful, although the cartoon strip of death by a Turd was quite funny.

Baise Moi,French. Not going to be everyones cup of tea, Two girls, rape, murdering a sibling, quite graphic and violent.

Fat Girl....I found this a little bit upsetting to be honest.....French Film about teenagers and their sexuality whilst living through their most difficult years, no happy endings either.

The Baider Meinhoff Complex Obviously German, but well acted and quite gripping, the title tells the tale, but very interesting nonetheless.

Declaration of war....quite a sad film about a couple who's young son has a brain tumour and their struggles as they come to terms with it (French).

We Are The Night, a German girly vampire film.....pretty good actually in a gritty kind of way, very watchable, even though Im not a fan of Vampire films.

Meat, a Dutch waste of space to be frank, Ive no idea what the point of this film was, it is awful......I even googled it to see if I had missed the point, apparently not.

Cafe De Flore, French film about a woman who's son is disabled during the 1960's and a Canadian DJ in the present....exceelent film well worth a watch.

King of Devils Island, Norway. Brilliant film about an island prison for teenage boys, gritty, and based on a real story, no happy endings here, but a damned good film nonetheless.

In The Realms of the Senses, Japan. Banned in a shitload of countries, this 1976 film is still quite shocking....not particularly for the sex scenes, albeit they were way out there for the year, but the very end is quite horryfiying...especially if youre a bloke! Still heavily censored in Japan to this day, the uncut version is a must watch. All based on a true story.

Loads more but I will leave it at that for now.
  • I got directed over here by bolloxbolder, thanks mate. Too bad I missed the chance to catch Trollhunter.
    Anyway he mentioned he'd not heard of Spiral. It's a French crime series, and also features a complex female character lead. The last series ran immediately after the Killing on BBC4 and it was interesting to contrast French and Danish society and how police forces and justice systems differ. The French police come across as pretty rough and inclined to cut corners. The lead is very sexy but in that department is absolutely eclipsed by the red headed bent lawyer woman. Not sure if another series in the works but all the past ones are gripping.

I watched Spiral 2-3 years ago on BBC3 I think....I really enjoyed it myself. A real down and dirty portrayal of French life and crime.
  • Not a Foreign Language film as such, but one made in Belgium which is quite topical.....

The Devils Double.....Domonic Cooper plays Uday Hussein and his double Latif Yahia, in this film about the insane goings on in the house of Saddam......actually a very good film, the acting is faultless 8/10.